Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-20-2013   #21
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair's Thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Q. What do you think the team needs?

A. “We need another playmaker (at receiver). We want more speed at receiver. Andre (Johnson) had a great year, but we can’t expect him to carry the load for all the receivers. If we say we’re going to run the ball better, we need to make sure we’ve got depth in our offensive line. We need more depth at linebacker. We can always use another cornerback. We don’t have a glaring weakness. We’ve got a good team, and we’re going to keep building on it.”

McLame totally blows the chance to shine the light on Marciano.
because mclain is a paid hack on the texan payroll.

this stuff happens when there is only one major newspaper in the 4th largest city in america.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #22
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I would rather have an owner like Jerry Jones who is willing to put a foot in someones ass.

I would rather have an owner like Jerry Jones.

Jerry Jones

Get out.

So you would want somebody who isn't willing to accept the blame for why their team has been so mediocre?

Someone who, despite having a successful HC, fires him just because they don't agree?

Jerry is the reason the Cowboys have been stuck in a rut. I'd choose an owner like McNair over the Jerry any day.

Oh and btw, I understand the need to be negative about the team, and that is what you do. However, if this team gives you such a fit, then why even waste your time rooting for this team?

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Its just status quo ... "I support the staff and the QB we need to get better" bull****.

I would rather have an owner like Jerry Jones who is willing to put a foot in someones ass.

There is no reason our season ended the way it did other than the failure of the coaching staff and the QB.

Where is he saying that?

You'd rather have Jerrah Jones ?! What the hell have they done in the last decade ?!

I think Bob's got it right when he says he wants to emulate the Steelers orginization. They may have a down year here and there .... but they are in general an excellent orginization with high expectations each year.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #24
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jerry Jones?????? Jerry Jones needs to put a foot in his own ass.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I hope stay the course is not what McNair chooses to do IF the Texans regress next season. As you mentioned, Harbaugh turned SF around quickly as did Shanahan in Washington. I don't think its blowing up a team w/ a coaching change or QB change if the team has talent, but is simply underachieving. A change is sometimes needed to get a team over the hump & succeed.
I don't think we regressed in 2012. I think Cincinnati was a better team than Tj beat in 2011 & I think New England was a better team than last years Ravens. For a short time last year, we were the standard everyone was chasing.

If we get bounced by New England in next year's play-offs, I don't care if it's Wild Card, or Championship game, I'd want to see a change. Especially if we fail to beat them in the regular season as well.
Old 01-20-2013   #26
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2070 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
Good Lord I hope IT DOES, no COULD.
I only say could because I wasn't there for the interview. So not as much context to go off of.

But the mentions of 11 and 13 should imply that yes, it DOES mean playoffs/Super Bowl included.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You'd rather have Jerrah Jones ?! What the hell have they done in the last decade ?!

I think Bob's got it right when he says he wants to emulate the Steelers orginization. They may have a down year here and there .... but they are in general an excellent orginization with high expectations each year.
Agreed about Jerrah

However give me an org like Chicago/SF/Sea. If things aren't working out heads roll. Look at the turnover of GMN/asst coaches, not to mention they make moves to improve their teams, player wise.

Would BoB ever have a Randy Moss on his team? Would he ever hire Pete Carroll and have Marshawn Lynch on his team? etc...

Remember when the Texans didn't have a RB? People/me were clamouring for the Texans to trade for Lynch. Lynch may be a disgusting human being, but he's one of the top 5 RB's in the NFL. All for the low cost of a 4th rd pick.

Pats traded in season for Talib, still playing with Talib starting? at the cost of a 4th rd draft pick.

Point is the teams still playing take chances on guys like this. Texans? nope, but they got a good little team. This is why I would draft a guy like Matheiu with the supp 3rd rd draft pick. He is a dynamic return guy who can be McCains replacement of play FS in a single high S look. This guy is a playmaker.

Will the Texans take a shot at a talented guy like this for example on the cheap? No way,No how, it's not the Texans way. Winning be damned.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Steelers didn't even make the play-offs. Time to blow it up. New QB, new DC, new HC, hell toss the GM too.
Old 01-20-2013   #29
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Steelers didn't even make the play-offs. Time to blow it up. New QB, new DC, new HC, hell toss the GM too.
Why did Arians leave the Steelers ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

It sucks when the team doesn't do what you want them to do. I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
However give me an org like Chicago/SF/Sea. If things aren't working out heads roll. Look at the turnover of GMN/asst coaches, not to mention they make moves to improve their teams, player wise.
There are more teams out there that make those moves that aren't playing right now. They didn't play last week, & they didn't play the week before. I didn't see the Falcons canning their coach & GM when they failed to advance in the play offs three years running.

Quote:
Would BoB ever have a Randy Moss on his team? Would he ever hire Pete Carroll and have Marshawn Lynch on his team? etc...
We brought Eric Moulds on the team, I don't know why we wouldn't have brought Randy Moss, other than most people thought he was done. As much as I don't like Pete Carroll coaching other teams, I wouldn't mind him in Houston. I don't see why McNair wouldn't have brought him in. Other than our GM probably doesn't know him & he never would have probed for interest.

Lynch..... Sounds like you're GMing this thing looking backwards. It's real easy to do it that way.
Quote:
Pats traded in season for Talib, still playing with Talib starting? at the cost of a 4th rd draft pick.
Another weakness of our scouting & GM

duly noted.

Quote:
Point is the teams still playing take chances on guys like this. Texans? nope, but they got a good little team. This is why I would draft a guy like Matheiu with the supp 3rd rd draft pick. He is a dynamic return guy who can be McCains replacement of play FS in a single high S look. This guy is a playmaker.
What chances did Atlanta take?

Quote:
Will the Texans take a shot at a talented guy like this for example on the cheap? No way,No how, it's not the Texans way. Winning be damned.
Chances are they won't. However, I like your thinking. No Joke, I think you should put together a portfolio & keep knocking on McNairs door until he agrees to see you.
Old 01-20-2013   #31
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
He was reportedly fired by the owner because after going 12-4 they lost to an underdog Denver team & the offense wasn't going in the direction the owner wanted. Some will foolishly say that didn't help & they regressed this season because of that. I would think them playing w/ a 3rd string QB & 3rd string rb at different points during the season combined w/ injuries to a few members of the o-lineman, wr's, & defense had more to do w/ it, but its a lot easier to ignore all of that in effort to defend kubiak & schaub & why they should be retained at all cost.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Good question.

The bleacher report believes it was because Arians wasn't very creative.

Quote:
Arians is retiring to graze the pasture, or whatever it is that retired football coaches do. Either way, it is time for a change in Pittsburgh. The offense was handicapped by conservatism, something that drew me and a lot of other Steelers fans insane over the past four years. I'm exhausted.
Old 01-20-2013   #33
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was reportedly fired by the owner because after going 12-4 they lost to an underdog Denver team & the offense wasn't going in the direction the owner wanted. Some will foolishly say that didn't help & they regressed this season because of that. I would think them playing w/ a 3rd string QB & 3rd string rb at different points during the season combined w/ injuries to a few members of the o-lineman, wr's, & defense had more to do w/ it, but its a lot easier to ignore all of that in effort to defend kubiak & schaub & why they should be retained at all cost.
or don't hire Todd Haley .

Round Dan
Old 01-20-2013   #34
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
or don't hire Todd Haley .
LOL! Like I said, its easier to ignore everything else for some. This whole"looking at the big picture" gets in my way. What can you do...I'm working on it.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Well...... not that I want to defend Kubiak at all costs, but he got his team to the divisional round under the same circumstances.
Old 01-20-2013   #36
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 558 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

While I'm not the biggest McNair fan, I do like that he mentioned we need to get mentally tougher on the big national stage. If the Texans struggle in big stage regular season games, how will they play if they ever reach a Super Bowl?
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #37
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
LOL! Like I said, its easier to ignore everything else for some. This whole"looking at the big picture" gets in my way. What can you do...I'm working on it.
Haley's dink and dunk ignores Ben's long passing to go along with Wallace and Brown's speed . That's if they get Wallace into camp .

Round Dan
Old 01-20-2013   #38
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What chances did Atlanta take?
They traded several picks to obtain one player in the draft (Julio Jones). So yeah....they took chances to get the playmaker they felt they needed. So basically every team in the title games took some sort of chance that is non-traditional. Whether signing an issue player (Talib-NE), firing offensive coordinator in third quarter of season (Ravens), Trading to get that playmaker (see above), changing quarterbacks despite winning with the previous (49ers).

In any case, McNair's answers seem good except the coaching one. Not expecting anything with Kubiak but all the coaching staff didn't step up and we already named the individual. Then again it could just be the political crap. I care more on actions than on words. He could say all that and Kubes turns around and fires Marciano. I'll wait and see.

Other than that he didn't say anything we didn't and he's right on most of those points. Hopefully Smith is capable of actually executing this though. That may be the bigger question.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #39
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Well...... not that I want to defend Kubiak at all costs, but he got his team to the divisional round under the same circumstances.
This is a chicken or the egg situation .

. Before the season the expectations were soaring because the Texans looked stacked . On defense it was thought they would improve from the number 2 ranking .

The Texans were not as good as we thought . Losing Breisel , Winston , Dreesen , and Demeco along with Cushing's injury , proved costly .

Round Dan
Old 01-20-2013   #40
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41248874,d.b2U

Here's an interview John McClain had w/ Bob McNair. Has some pretty interesting quotes from ole Bob. Seems Bob agrees the team needs a mental toughness adjustment when playing the big boys on the national stage & another playmaker at wr. Unfortunately he exudes all kinds of confidence in Kubiak, his coaches(saving grace for Marciano???), & Schaub. More wins is Bob's goal, but it would be nice if those wins could lead to something more then the Divisional round in the playoffs. Thoughts on what he had to say...
I thought I had heard this "pep talk" by McNair last year, but I couldn't remember exactly when and where...........until I finally found this article in the Chronicle now.:

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read