Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2013   #61
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Posey tore his Achilles.

The Texans have not disclosed if Posey's Achilles tear is partial or complete. However, his description of feeling like he got shot when it happened. That is classic for a complete rupture. Also Posey could not walk on that foot after the occurrence. This is the classic for a complete rupture not only because the Achilles cannot allow applying force to the ball of the foot (foot pointing down position) for a walking motion, but also because of the excruciating pain that it causes trying to do so. Most of time with a partial rupture, patients will have only modest discomfort.....and can continue to walk......many times quite normally.

You might want to look at the Wild Card Week Houston Texans Injury Report. It may surprise you to find Posey was on it with a "FOOT." Remember, in one of my previous posts (#15 above), I explained the "aura" preceding Achilles tendon rupture........i.e., Achilles tendonitis. Well, this condition presents typically with heel pain. And what part of the anatomy is the heel?.......the FOOT. Posey evidently was already demonstrating the warning signs of what was about to happen.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Texans have not disclosed if Posey's Achilles tear is partial or complete. However, his description of feeling like he got shot when it happened. That is classic for a complete rupture. Also Posey could not walk on that foot after the occurrence. This is the classic for a complete rupture not only because the Achilles cannot allow applying force to the ball of the foot (foot pointing down position) for a walking motion, but also because of the excruciating pain that it causes trying to do so. Most of time with a partial rupture, patients will have only modest discomfort.....and can continue to walk......many times quite normally.

You might want to look at the Wild Card Week Houston Texans Injury Report. It may surprise you to find Posey was on it with a "FOOT." Remember, in one of my previous posts (#15 above), I explained the "aura" preceding Achilles tendon rupture........i.e., Achilles tendonitis. Well, this condition presents typically with heel pain. And what part of the anatomy is the heel?.......the FOOT. Posey evidently was already demonstrating the warning signs of what was about to happen.
I'm not counting on him being back and productive anytime soon, Doc.

I was only providing the view on the field, from one corner.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #63
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This post really makes me feel sad for Posey.

He basically ruined his career and the team docs either didn't know or didn't care about the risk of him playing in that game.

I'm hoping/praying that you can have a successful career DeVier. Even though it probably cant/wont be what it could/should have been.

When are fans going to start asking the hard questions about the Texans team physicians? This yr Reed/Cody/Posey etc... not to mention the signing of Schaub to a 4 yr deal when he obviously will never be the QB he was in 2009.

Not to mention days gone by Boselli/Joppru/Davis=Williams etc.... These docs are at best negligent and at worst $$$$$ whores. After all who will be doing Poseys surgery? Who will profit from said surgery?

Unlike the rest of the Texans org. BoB seems to be losing alot of $$$$/players because of his medical staff/trainers incompetence. IMHO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #64
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm not counting on him being back and productive anytime soon, Doc.

I was only providing the view on the field, from one corner.
And I believe that that "corner" were the same reasons I also shared your and some others' enthusiasm of of where he might progress with the Texans. Very sad. Very disappointing.
Old 01-17-2013   #65
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This post really makes me feel sad for Posey.

He basically ruined his career and the team docs either didn't know or didn't care about the risk of him playing in that game.

I'm hoping/praying that you can have a successful career DeVier. Even though it probably cant/wont be what it could/should have been.

When are fans going to start asking the hard questions about the Texans team physicians? This yr Reed/Cody/Posey etc... not to mention the signing of Schaub to a 4 yr deal when he obviously will never be the QB he was in 2009.

Not to mention days gone by Boselli/Joppru/Davis=Williams etc.... These docs are at best negligent and at worst $$$$$ whores. After all who will be doing Poseys surgery? Who will profit from said surgery?

Unlike the rest of the Texans org. BoB seems to be losing alot of $$$$/players because of his medical staff/trainers incompetence. IMHO

Oh here we go with the conspiracy theories... Way to go doc!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #66
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Oh here we go with the conspiracy theories... Way to go doc!
No conspiracy theories here.

Just pointing out some of the more costly mistakes the Texans medical staff/trainers have made.

What I want to know is why Uncle BoB continues to employ them. It's obvious to me at the very least they are in over their collective heads, or at worst negligent. Players are human beings, not cattle which is how everybody from Smith/Gary/Dr Lowe and all down the line are culpable in the miss handling of their players injuries.

Remember Rick, basically telling Ahman Green he wasn't hurt and he needed to get back on the field. Even though Green was obviously injured.

Rick/Gary learned at the feet of Shanny Sr. and the way Shanny handled the RG3 situation should let us know how Rick/Gary think about their roster in relation to injuries.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
point is, AP took the knee recovery to a new level......

Posey can do similar for the achilles tear.
My daughter just had her ACL replaced two years ago. It didn't "take" very well, & we ended up having to do it again this year. According to the doctors, there's been major advances in how this has been repaired in that short amount of time.

The first time they repaired it, the doctor said the chances of it "taking" was something like 80%, this time, more like 95% Even her therapy & some of the other things she's doing for recovery is totally different now.

So in my mind, unless there has been some major medical advances for repairing the achilles.... I'm not going to be too hopeful that Posey can pick up where he left off.

I'd like to think Drafting a WR is what we need to do, but it's rare that you're going to get a guy who can contribute this year, unless you're picking top 10 or something like that. Where we're drafting, we need to find a vet with some game left.
Old 01-17-2013   #68
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
No conspiracy theories here.

Just pointing out some of the more costly mistakes the Texans medical staff/trainers have made.
I really don't think it has anything to do with Texans doctors specifically. It's the culture of the NFL - if you can walk, you can play. I've heard someone on the radio contrast NFL and MLB in that respect. If a pitcher "feels" something iffy with his elbow, he's done, off to the doctors, better safe than sorry. If a QB tears up his knee (RGIII, P.Rivers a few years back), they slap a knee brace on him and send him back out.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So, he's done if it were in fact a complete rupture. At least for the 2013 season. What's the prognosis if the tear is on the completely other side of the spectrum. We know the worst case scenario, what are the best cases & what can we look for from here, to help us figure out the true extent of the injury?
Old 01-19-2013   #70
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So, he's done if it were in fact a complete rupture. At least for the 2013 season. What's the prognosis if the tear is on the completely other side of the spectrum. We know the worst case scenario, what are the best cases & what can we look for from here, to help us figure out the true extent of the injury?
From all signs, it would surprise me if he suffered anything but a complete rupture. But, if it is a partial rupture, it is so variable as to what "partial" really means.........is it a longitudinal rupture?.....is it a transverse rupture?......does it involve the gastrocnemius muscle tendon (superficial component of the Achilles) and/or the soleus muscle tendon (deep component of the Achilles)?........does it require an interposed graft for repair?

A prognosis could be the same as for a complete or all the way down to 6 months like Suggs. What really wasn't publicized in the exceptional recovery case of Suggs is that it was a localized tear that required a very limited 3 cm transverse incision (as opposed to the classic 8 cm longitudinal incision). This is not a very realistic recovery for the typical more extensive tear that usually occurs when referred to as "partial."

Old 01-19-2013   #71
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From all signs, it would surprise me if he suffered anything but a complete rupture. But, if it is a partial rupture, it is so variable as to what "partial" really means.........is it a longitudinal rupture?.....is it a transverse rupture?......does it involve the gastrocnemius muscle tendon (superficial component of the Achilles) and/or the soleus muscle tendon (deep component of the Achilles)?........does it require an interposed graft for repair?

A prognosis could be the same as for a complete or all the way down to 6 months like Suggs. What really wasn't publicized in the exceptional recovery case of Suggs is that it was a localized tear that required a very limited 3 cm transverse incision (as opposed to the classic 8 cm longitudinal incision). This is not a very realistic recovery for the typical more extensive tear that usually occurs when referred to as "partial."

Sunny Beaches, OUCH!

Not being a Debbie Downer but taking everything Doc has told us I'd be surprised to see him on the field again.

Really hope he can return though. I saw enough to give me a little more hope than Tex has or even ever had.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
So either way, we shouldn't expect to see him for OTAs. Best case scenario he's working with the team during training camp, but seeing him on the field is out of the question for even the best case scenario.

If he's not on the field come September, we're not going to see him till December at the earliest & if it's that long, he won't be able to help us on any kind of late season run.

right?
Old 02-01-2013   #73
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

"Posey Slated to Return Opening of 2013 Season"

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10168

---

I hate to say it, but I highly doubt this.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #74
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

it's possible, from what i've read it's a 8-12 month recovery and opening day would put him at 9 months. of course suggs came back after only 6, but that has to be a bit of an anomaly. it may take him most of the season to get his wheels back, but there probably is a reasonable chance he can be on the opening day lineup.
Old 02-01-2013   #75
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Got to have another speedster; they just got to have another one.
Can't count on his recovery, I don't think.
Old 02-01-2013   #76
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
it's possible, from what i've read it's a 8-12 month recovery and opening day would put him at 9 months. of course suggs came back after only 6, but that has to be a bit of an anomaly. it may take him most of the season to get his wheels back, but there probably is a reasonable chance he can be on the opening day lineup.
Part of that may be draft smoke screens. If you say he will be back for the opening game, its draft strategy. Rather than say he is out for the year and you are desperate for a WR, you say he will come back opening day. That way if you want to trade up, other teams do not think you are desperate and gouge you on a deal.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #77
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Part of that may be draft smoke screens. If you say he will be back for the opening game, its draft strategy. Rather than say he is out for the year and you are desperate for a WR, you say he will come back opening day. That way if you want to trade up, other teams do not think you are desperate and gouge you on a deal.
Could be it!
Old 02-01-2013   #78
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Doc, you are the man, and I always love your analysis, but holy crap that last pictures hurts to look at. I'm not ussually squeemish, but from 19-21 years of age I had something wrong with my achilles that made it excruciatingly painful to be touched or bumped directly. So this is like nails on a chalk board!!!!
Old 02-01-2013   #79
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
"Posey Slated to Return Opening of 2013 Season"

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10168

---

I hate to say it, but I highly doubt this.
Yep, it's just draft trickery.
Old 02-01-2013   #80
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

I had an interesting conversation with a UK orthopedic surgeon a while back. He said that in their football players (soccer), it is not rare to see Achilles ruptures. He said that at one of their conferences, there appeared to be a pattern to see these injuries occur when players made a change from one playing surface to another (grass and turf) either way, not including practice time surfaces. Just for the heck of it, I looked at Demeco and Posey.

Demeco:
week before rupture-Metlife Stadium-turf
week of rupture-Arrowhead Stadium-grass

Posey:
week before rupture-Reliant Stadium-grass
week of rupture-Gillette Stadium-turf

Just found it interesting.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read