Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2013   #21
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Time to replace Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Couldn't agree more. Walter has had issues getting seperation & taking pressure off of Andre for a few years now. He simply cannot add anything to help the offense outside of his, overrated in my mind, blocking. His limited contributions have not earned him the right to be the starter & to be honest I'm sure not he would or could be a starter for any team outside of the Texans. Kubiak has carried him along long enough & considering Walter is due 3-3.5M next season I believe that money could be well spent elsewhere that could actually help this team progress.
Very true, I love Walter, but we have to move. Sucks that Posey had that devastating injury. I had high hopes for him. Athletes just aren't the same after that injury. Hopefully Posey can be an exception to the rule.
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #22
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

bu bu but he's a legendary blocker!!!!!!!

smdh....

it seems like certain type of "people" get way too much benefit of the doubt and are held less accountable than others.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #23
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

I was hoping Jean or Posey would eventually move into to 2nd wr position.......Posey is out....Jean.....I dont know know what the deal is with him. I thought this was supposed to be the year he made a big splash coming off injury last year. Nothing much happened.
Think they are going to have to draft or pickup 1 or 2 wrs again this year.....Doubt Posey ever gets back to where he was ....those achillles tears are brutal.
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #24
Grungo_Taco
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Grungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
This team drives me crazy sometimes. We keep around a WR who can't create separation or get open but blocks well. The #1 job of a receiver is to catch passes right? Then we let go talented traditional blocking FBs for what we all agree is a dangerous mismatch FB that the team refuses to use consistently. Kubs keeps Walters around because of his blocking value then gives up blocking advantage FB for mismatch FB we don't use as a advantage. Instaed Casey is constantly trying to only be a blocker which is not his strength, so confusing. At this point I would rather see a really good FB blocking for Foster and every ounce in a while that FB slips out for a huge catch with no one covering him(and sometimes drop that pass lol) atleast the blocking will be a advantage.

Its like Jeckil & Hyde.
aaahahaha! what can ya say?.. Kubiak is such an aggie :/
Grungo_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If he signs for vet minimum, I don't mind keeping him around. Even then, I would be worried that he keeps them from upgrading the position entirely.
I don't mind keeping him either, but he's not a WR. He's a smallish TE. That's how I'd use him.

Two WR sets would include WRs not named Walter. Three wide receiver sets would not include 83. He'll make his money trying to keep OD or Graham off the field.
Old 01-18-2013   #26
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Walter isn't going anywhere. Hell, if we are keeping Matt we may as well keep Walter.
Bingo. Schaub more of a problem than Walter. New wrs same old inaccurate throws. Same short passes etc. Even if we had victor Cruz or Wes Weller schaub would miss the throw.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #27
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Bingo. Schaub more of a problem than Walter. New wrs same old inaccurate throws. Same short passes etc. Even if we had victor Cruz or Wes Weller schaub would miss the throw.
Well, Shaub isn't going anywhere so the only option is to surround him with talent. That's the only way at this point.
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #28
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52652 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
Well, Shaub isn't going anywhere so the only option is to surround him with talent. That's the only way at this point.
OMG! This is ridiculous!!!!! Please describe the kind of players you want to add "AROUND" Schaub and then explain how he (SCHAUB) is going to be able to utilize them. He already has three of the best weapons of any offense in the NFL and he has a FB that is as versatile and has as good of play making ability as any other FB in the league. (Don't even bring up his drop in the playoff game)

You want to replace Walter fine. Im ok with that. But if you think that player is going to make a huge difference you are crazy.
Old 01-18-2013   #29
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
OMG! This is ridiculous!!!!! Please describe the kind of players you want to add "AROUND" Schaub and then explain how he (SCHAUB) is going to be able to utilize them. He already has three of the best weapons of any offense in the NFL and he has a FB that is as versatile and has as good of play making ability as any other FB in the league. (Don't even bring up his drop in the playoff game)

You want to replace Walter fine. Im ok with that. But if you think that player is going to make a huge difference you are crazy.
Let's not pretend that Foster is some Marshall Faulk in the passing game, or that Owen is one of the top tight ends in the league anymore.

I mean a rookie who was out of football for a year looked like our second most explosive player in the passing game late in the season.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #30
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's far from ridiculous...its factual.

Shaub is signed for 4 more years with 60 million on his contract. What is management going to do? Let him go? Let Yates play over him? Come on man, get real.

We are stuck with Matt Shaub, weather you like it or not, thats how its going to be, at least for the next couple of years. Having Kevin Walter as your complement to Andre is...sad? I don't even know.

Walter has been a solid receiver through his years here. Nothing special, yet consistent. You know what you're going to get from him. I like the guy, personally. But the Houston Texans are taking the next step in the NFL. We are going from a playoff team to Super Bowl contender (or at least thats what we are trying to do.) In order to make that next step, you cannot have Kevin Walter as your #2 guy. I'm fine with keeping him to be that #3-4 or to provide depth. But considering how much he will be asking for, thats going to be a bit of a challenge to negotiate that contract with him.

I hope you understand what I'm saying. Shaub is Shaub. you aren't going to change him. Give him another guy that makes plays. Give him a high-caliber prospect like Robert Woods or Tavon Austin. Andre has needed a playmaker alongside him for years. Its time we fill that need, finally. It will give our offense a new dimension, count on it.
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #31
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52652 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Let's not pretend that Foster is some Marshall Faulk in the passing game, or that Owen is one of the top tight ends in the league anymore.
Really? Foster is very good in the passing game. He just wasn't used enough this year. OD had one of his better years this year. How many passes did he have to make great catches and how many passed did he catch and get hit right away? Thats on the QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
I mean a rookie who was out of football for a year looked like our second most explosive player in the passing game late in the season.
Really? And what good did it do us? He only caught 6 passes all season. I rest my case.
Old 01-19-2013   #32
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
It's far from ridiculous...its factual.

Shaub is signed for 4 more years with 60 million on his contract. What is management going to do? Let him go? Let Yates play over him? Come on man, get real.

We are stuck with Matt Shaub, weather you like it or not, thats how its going to be, at least for the next couple of years. Having Kevin Walter as your complement to Andre is...sad? I don't even know.

Walter has been a solid receiver through his years here. Nothing special, yet consistent. You know what you're going to get from him. I like the guy, personally. But the Houston Texans are taking the next step in the NFL. We are going from a playoff team to Super Bowl contender (or at least thats what we are trying to do.) In order to make that next step, you cannot have Kevin Walter as your #2 guy. I'm fine with keeping him to be that #3-4 or to provide depth. But considering how much he will be asking for, thats going to be a bit of a challenge to negotiate that contract with him.

I hope you understand what I'm saying. Shaub is Shaub. you aren't going to change him. Give him another guy that makes plays. Give him a high-caliber prospect like Robert Woods or Tavon Austin. Andre has needed a playmaker alongside him for years. Its time we fill that need, finally. It will give our offense a new dimension, count on it.
Dude I know Matt isn't going anywhere. Thats my point. He is what he is. He has good weapons available to him. Adding more isn't going to make him a better QB. He only looks at one option before he checks down. On the rare occasion he does look through more than one he isn't capable of getting the ball to anyone that isn't wide open within 15 yards. Adding another WR is fools gold.

The only way to help Schaub is to have a dominating running game and defense.
Old 01-19-2013   #33
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude I know Matt isn't going anywhere. Thats my point. He is what he is. He has good weapons available to him. Adding more isn't going to make him a better QB. He only looks at one option before he checks down. On the rare occasion he does look through more than one he isn't capable of getting the ball to anyone that isn't wide open within 15 yards. Adding another WR is fools gold.

The only way to help Schaub is to have a dominating running game and defense.
So you add another weapon & there are no excuses. As it stands Walter is not a weapon because he can't draw attention away from Andre. That has been proven time & time again. Walter has issues getting seperation & this season his hands didn't seem as dependable as years past. It's time for him to move on & replace him w/ younger, faster talent. Remove the excuse for Schaub & then it will apparent that he is the problem. That or he actually realizes he has other options & starts getting others involved. That would be a good thing imo. Lets be honest...even if Schaub is the problem, which I believe he is to some degree, & he actually did look for Walter its highly unlikely that Walter would be open. He is easily swallowed up in 1 on 1 coverage & that is a problem that needs to be addressed regardless of Schaub.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #34
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

It is not time to replace Walter.

It is past time to replace Walter.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #35
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree it was time to replace Walter 2 years ago and its now long overdue, the problem I see is that while we needed to replace Walter 2 years ago with a WR2 to groom to become a WR1, we now need to be looking at someone to quickly become WR1 and knock AJ down to WR2. AJ seems like he could keep playing for a good number of years if used correctly, we need to ensure that we don't burn him out at this stage in his career. Unfortunately I feel the Texans have missed the boat on this one and the real issue stems from putting too much faith in Jacoby to become that guy.

If Walter is keeping someone with Jacoby's physical tools off the field still in year 3, surely at that point you know its a failed experiment.

Jean and Maehl both have a chance to be bonus acquisitions in UDFA who can play a role, Keyshawn and Posey though we definitely need them to pay off bigtime, Martin doesn't excite me all that much and Posey is just a huge ugly question mark now due to that injury, despite having looked promising later in the season.

We can keep going back to the QB situation till we're blue in the face, but its just pissing in the wind because we are stuck with Schaub for at least 2 years I'd imagine.

I've asked this question a few times in the past and I ask it again, what on earth is Kubiak looking for in a WR? Is Kubiak capable of selecting and coaching up a WR? So far, in 7 years, the bloke has managed to make a serviceable WR out of Kevin Walter (stuck with him too long), has failed to get what he needs out of JJones year after year AND failed to realise that the guy wasn't going to work in his system, and what else?

What on earth does Kubiak intend to do with the position? I have this huge worry that the bloke is incapable of addressing the position. If I'm right, God help us now that AJ is on the decline gradually, because all this talk about how well the system works to get mediocre talent receivers open is going to be totally ****ed the minute teams no longer need to double up on AJ to keep his gains from being game changing.

That time is getting closer all the time and how close are we to remedying it?

The more I think about it, the more I feel a strong urge to advocate an O heavy draft, ideally WR, OT, QB with the first 3 picks (obviously dependent on there not being an obvious BPA at any other position) maybe plug ILB in with the 3rd RD comp pick, and look to get a prototype to develop into DT in the 4th say. In an ideal world where all the talent available fits into that and can help us I think that puts the team in the right direction moving forward.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #36
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
I was hoping Jean or Posey would eventually move into to 2nd wr position.......Posey is out....Jean.....I dont know know what the deal is with him. I thought this was supposed to be the year he made a big splash coming off injury last year. Nothing much happened.
Think they are going to have to draft or pickup 1 or 2 wrs again this year.....Doubt Posey ever gets back to where he was ....those achillles tears are brutal.
WHEN the ball was thrown Jeans way he looked good, but he hasnt exactly played very much and when he did you could almost always count on it being a run.
Old 01-19-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
WHEN the ball was thrown Jeans way he looked good, but he hasnt exactly played very much and when he did you could almost always count on it being a run.
Jean and the rookies were too inconsistent, especially Martin and Jean.
In the off-season, I'll bring this job again to recount tbe plays where it happened.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #38
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Jean and the rookies were too inconsistent, especially Martin and Jean.
In the off-season, I'll bring this job again to recount tbe plays where it happened.
Saw jean drop a few but also saw him makes some really good tough catches as well. Still a young player but i still see potential
Old 01-19-2013   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I love Andre, but he can't be our #1 going into next season. We need someone now who can feasibly be better than Andre. Posey's Achilles pretty much takes him out of that equation.

We need to draft a WR who could conceivably a #1 on other teams & let him compete, on the field, for that position..... a Torey Smith to Anquan Bolden, or a Julio Jones to Roddy White.

I know we're not going to replace Andre in one season, but the point is we can't be targeting WRs to take Walter's spot. Walter is done as a WR inmo, Andre clearly has that spot. We need to fill #1, #3, & #4...... I think we've got good candidates for 3 & 4 already on the team, we need someone better than all of them.
Old 01-19-2013   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I love Andre, but he can't be our #1 going into next season.
OK insanity has now truly hit the MB. Y'all have fun deciding which player to bash next.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read