Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-17-2013   #21
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safety

swearinger from south carolina i mocked him in the 5th. great open field tackler and well above average in coverage, his one of my sleepers this year
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #22
ralph
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
How is Amerson in the tackling department?
Is he physical ? Does he deliver big hits ?

But if we resign Quin, taking a safety in the first two rounds may not be ideal when he doesn't play much and we still have other holes to fill ???

Unless a really good one is available that we simply can't resist, that is.
Rhodes is bigger and tackles better than Amerson.

If I had to pick a safety early it'd be Elam. Then Vaccaro, Rhodes, Amerson in that order.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Great prospect,

I've got him ranked in the early/mid 3rd. You?

What time/channel is the game on?
Actually, it won't be until Sat, 3 P.M. on the NFL network.

Also, keep an eye on the OT from Arkansas Pine Bluff.
Don't know if he's going to play LT or RT, but was really dominating at the lower level.
Name is Terron Armstead #70 at Pine Bluff.

I haven't ranked the safeties yet, I'm just starting to watch them.
There seems to be some pretty good ones, not great but quite good.

TJ McDonald (USC) and Robert Lester (alabama) play everywhere; they were put on TEs, RBs, even on WRs at times. Both can blitz, too.

Lester looks to have good ball skills. He had had quite a few INTs over the years and I've seen quite a few close ones, too.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post

If I had to pick a safety early it'd be Elam. Then Vaccaro, Rhodes, Amerson in that order.
OK, thanks. I'll spend sometimes on all the names y'all listed here.
Old 01-17-2013   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Don't know if he's going to play LT or RT, but was really dominating at the lower level.

TJ McDonald (USC) and Robert Lester (alabama) play everywhere; they were put on TEs, RBs, even on WRs at times. Both can blitz, too.

Lester looks to have good ball skills. He had had quite a few INTs over the years and I've seen quite a few close ones, too.
I read that Armstead is tearing it up in the East/West practices.

This appears to be the deepest S class in a while. I look forward to your wrie ups on the S.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post

Looks like Vaccaro is playing nickel at UT, you think he can make the transition to safety smoothly?

I've only watched a couple of games and he wasn't on any TE.
Old 01-18-2013   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Neither Lester nor McD looks like they can man centerfield.

Both are pretty weak in tackling, especially Lester.

He has the ball skill while TJ is a more physical player and a little more instinctive.

I think they can play cover 2, but would that be even worth a second round pick?
Maybe for another team, but I'm not sure about the Texans.
Old 01-18-2013   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Elam seems to play out of control a bit; I think he's gonna get called a lot and get fined a bunch if he continues his way.

It's a shame with all these new rules though.
Old 01-18-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I watched Rhodes a bit, and Amerson a bit more, not enough to give an opinion though, so I'll wait on those guys.

But the guy with a solid overall game might be Eric Reid from LSU.
What do you guys think about him?
Old 01-18-2013   #30
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91085 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Elam seems to play out of control a bit; I think he's gonna get called a lot and get fined a bunch if he continues his way.

It's a shame with all these new rules though.
He will see his share of fines for sure. That said, he makes plays in coverage. Definitely the biggest "playmaker" at S in this draft IMO. Probably the only back seven defender on UF that didn't play horrible against Louisville.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
swearinger from south carolina i mocked him in the 5th. great open field tackler and well above average in coverage, his one of my sleepers this year
Swearinger is who I'd target. I love his game actually more than some of the tip safety prospects.

He's a better player than vaccaro IMO. Not really close.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #32
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117928 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you guys think of Bacarri Rambo? And where would you see the Texans taking him if at all?
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How is Amerson in the tackling department?
Is he physical ? Does he deliver big hits ?

But if we resign Quin, taking a safety in the first two rounds may not be ideal when he doesn't play much and we still have other holes to fill ???

Unless a really good one is available that we simply can't resist, that is.
Here is a good article mentioning social media that has drawn Amerson's focus from his play. I think at that age it is quite easy to get caught up in what others say both con & pro. http://collegefootball.ap.org/starne...year-secondary

Some scouts will have concerns about his speed and athleticism but if he's lacking in this area it clearly didn't hinder his ability to produce in 2011. He simply needs to regain his old form and worry about any physical or off-field concerns that scouts may have once the draft process begins in January.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-david-amerson

As a run defender, Amerson willingly sticks his face in the meat grinder and is an overall sound tackler for a corner having registered at least 50 stops in each of his 3 seasons.

With NC State playing a heavily zone based defensive scheme, Amerson was almost never asked to take his vision away from the quarterback or to go and eliminate a wide receiver at the line of scrimmage. He would be stripped of his instincts if he couldn’t face and read the quarterback. Press-man coverage puts your direct vision on the wide receiver and is much more demanding physically, trust me. He’ll likely be coveted by zone principled defenses where his skills are a premium.

He and his former head coach Tom O’Brien both agreed that Amerson abandoned areas of technique in his game in order to make every play out there. 2012 showed us that Amerson does indeed have that unique quality found in every great defensive back, amnesia.

Much more here: http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft...d-amerson.html

Personally I get more from Darrius Slay in late third than Amerson in high to mid second round.
Old 01-19-2013   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
What do you guys think of Bacarri Rambo? And where would you see the Texans taking him if at all?
I've watched a few of his games. He looks pretty good; but he's a problem child off the field though.

I like to watch more of him and Amerson (and others).

But I do think Rambo is a good player.

Amerson, I'm stil trying to figure out if he can make the conversion to safety.
He probably can, but it's still early.

There's time to look at all of them deeper.
Old 01-20-2013   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Swearinger looks like a football player.
He has very good closing speed and a good instinct for the game.

Not quite sure about his coverage ability yet, but I've seen him get burned a couple times already. I still need to watch more of him though.
But he might get flagged some like Elam for going in high with his tackle (what with offensive players in the NFL taking advantage of the rules.)
Old 01-20-2013   #36
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Gimme a ball hawk with a nose for ints and speed. Seems we got far fewer turnovers this year then last...dont know if thats statistically accurate, but it appeared that way over the last half of the season at least.

1 safety
2 quarterback
3 nosetackle
3 inside linebacker
4 tackle/ guard

Plus a legit wr in free agency...

It's time to find out if earl mitchell can start at nose.
Old 01-20-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Gimme a ball hawk with a nose for ints and speed. Seems we got far fewer turnovers this year then last...dont know if thats statistically accurate, but it appeared that way over the last half of the season at least.

1 safety
2 quarterback
3 nosetackle
3 inside linebacker
4 tackle/ guard

Plus a legit wr in free agency...

It's time to find out if earl mitchell can start at nose.
I'm really torn about the safety situation.

It looks like the Texans will bring back Quin.
(Quin seems to be really upbeat about the prospect.)

If that's the case, should we find a great safety with a high draft pick?

There isn't one sure thing in this class to begin with.

There are some pretty good ones, but none I think can take over Manning spot in a few years.

It might be better to find a big one that can play in the box but also can cover the big TE and RB so we can move Quin back in the dime package.

We can find another safety next year or the year after next???

For all we know, the Texans might not even draft a safety next year and just go with Eddie Pleasant.

Pleasant isn't a bad player but I am concerned about his coverage skills.
Old 01-20-2013   #38
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I watched Rhodes a bit, and Amerson a bit more, not enough to give an opinion though, so I'll wait on those guys.

But the guy with a solid overall game might be Eric Reid from LSU.
What do you guys think about him?
Even though Reid had a bad Sr. yr, he's still my top rated S. He has all of the talent the great ones have. I remember the 1st LSUAla game 2 yrs ago. he was all over the field and literally saved the game by making an amazing pass breakup in the end zone that saved the game. Very few S have the ability to make that play.

I also love Rhodes, but see him as a CB in the Charles Woodson mold that can move to S later in his career. He is a former WR who moved to CB so he's a bit raw but his talent is undeniable.

My S ratings look like this before the combine.

1. Reid
2.Swearinger
3. Jefferson
4.Rambo
5.Phillp Thomas.

The reason I dont have Elam/Viccaro rated is Elam isn't all that great in coverage/will be penalty prone and I dont feel comfortable with Viccaro as my last line of defense.

My 2 sleeper picks that I would look at in the supp 3rd/4th rd who would be perfect for the Texans defense are

1. Duke Williams, he has the speed to play the slot WR or the single high S. He also is great as the last line of defense as a tackler.

2.Cooper Taylor, dude is 6'4 230lbs, he can play Quins spot in the box or has the speed to play deep. This guy is a player. Reminds me of a young David Fulcher.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #39
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm really torn about the safety situation.

It looks like the Texans will bring back Quin.
(Quin seems to be really upbeat about the prospect.)

If that's the case, should we find a great safety with a high draft pick?

There isn't one sure thing in this class to begin with.

There are some pretty good ones, but none I think can take over Manning spot in a few years.

It might be better to find a big one that can play in the box but also can cover the big TE and RB so we can move Quin back in the dime package.

We can find another safety next year or the year after next???

For all we know, the Texans might not even draft a safety next year and just go with Eddie Pleasant.

Pleasant isn't a bad player but I am concerned about his coverage skills.
I dont think its what we WILL do, I think its what we SHOULD do. People pick out all 3 defensive needs (ilb, safety, nose) and say, "it's a waste because they'll only be on the field x amount of time." So lets get 1 guy for the base defense and 1 guy for the nickle early. I want a new talent on the back end (safety) and one in the front 7 (nt) early along with a qb to unseat schaub in 2014. We have young talent at wr and ol which should get better so I dont address those needs till the middle rounds or with a 2nd tier free agent. If we have 1 "splash free agent" gimme a wr who will actually help now. Ilb is kinda the afterthought for me. Sure we need depth but we have cush comming back and james/dobbin did ok in his absence. Nothing great, not an atrocity.

I want a safety who can move because a slower run stopping safety is easier to find...in fact keo may be that guy as long as you use him to his strengths and dont give him to much field to cover.

A legit bruiser at nose keeps the inside backers clean and makes them more effective which is why I prioritize that position over ilb. Plus just maybe he makes watts job a lil easier.

I dont know enough yet about actual players in the upcoming draft which is why i'm only looking at it from a positional standpoint.
Old 01-20-2013   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I dont think its what we WILL do, I think its what we SHOULD do. People pick out all 3 defensive needs (ilb, safety, nose) and say, "it's a waste because they'll only be on the field x amount of time." So lets get 1 guy for the base defense and 1 guy for the nickle early. I want a new talent on the back end (safety) and one in the front 7 (nt) early along with a qb to unseat schaub in 2014. We have young talent at wr and ol which should get better so I dont address those needs till the middle rounds or with a 2nd tier free agent. If we have 1 "splash free agent" gimme a wr who will actually help now. Ilb is kinda the afterthought for me. Sure we need depth but we have cush comming back and james/dobbin did ok in his absence. Nothing great, not an atrocity.

I want a safety who can move because a slower run stopping safety is easier to find...in fact keo may be that guy as long as you use him to his strengths and dont give him to much field to cover.

A legit bruiser at nose keeps the inside backers clean and makes them more effective which is why I prioritize that position over ilb. Plus just maybe he makes watts job a lil easier.

I dont know enough yet about actual players in the upcoming draft which is why i'm only looking at it from a positional standpoint.
Both James and Dobbins are FA's.

As for "position X being a waste because its only on the firld Y%" .... its a legit arguement. But I think you have to look at which position is going to do more to limit the opposition and with this becoming more and more a passing league , I think a 3rd safety would be a bigger benefit in the grand scheme than a NT or ILB.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read