Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2013   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Time to replace Walter

I know, I know, he does the small things right. Well, I'm tired of the small things. We need another receiver who can do the small things AND big things right. Andre doesn't have many years left and Walter just can't seem to get open enough anymore.

If you weren't re-signing certain players this past off season because they didn't contribute enough on 3rd down defense, or dropped passes (which a no catch is equivalent to) then we can get rid of a receiver who isn't helping out the passing game much. And I've appreciated Walter over the seasons but it's about getting better.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #2
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Time to replace Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I know, I know, he does the small things right. Well, I'm tired of the small things. We need another receiver who can do the small things AND big things right. Andre doesn't have many years left and Walter just can't seem to get open enough anymore.

If you weren't re-signing certain players this past off season because they didn't contribute enough on 3rd down defense, or dropped passes (which a no catch is equivalent to) then we can get rid of a receiver who isn't helping out the passing game much. And I've appreciated Walter over the seasons but it's about getting better.
Couldn't agree more. Walter has had issues getting seperation & taking pressure off of Andre for a few years now. He simply cannot add anything to help the offense outside of his, overrated in my mind, blocking. His limited contributions have not earned him the right to be the starter & to be honest I'm sure not he would or could be a starter for any team outside of the Texans. Kubiak has carried him along long enough & considering Walter is due 3-3.5M next season I believe that money could be well spent elsewhere that could actually help this team progress.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

It was time to replace Walter two years ago.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #4
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what bums me out about Posey. I know he only has a small body of work but in that brief time he showed good blocking ability, good speed and good hands. I believe, if not for his injury, he'd be our number 2 next season.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes. You will get no arguement from me. I wont make excuses for him anylonger.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #6
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
This is what bums me out about Posey. I know he only has a small body of work but in that brief time he showed good blocking ability, good speed and good hands. I believe, if not for his injury, he'd be our number 2 next season.
Definitely. That injury really sucks.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #7
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I had my doubts about posey early on, but he was really coming on. It's unfortunate that we weren't allowed to see more of him, Jean, & Martin earlier in the season to get a true idea of what kind of talent they have. Kubiak, imo, held them back & because of that there continues to be questions about the position as a whole. I still have high hopes for all 3, but they need opportunities to play & that seems to have been hard to come by w/ Walter in the way.
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2013   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

If he signs for vet minimum, I don't mind keeping him around. Even then, I would be worried that he keeps them from upgrading the position entirely.
Old 01-18-2013   #9
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If he signs for vet minimum, I don't mind keeping him around. Even then, I would be worried that he keeps them from upgrading the position entirely.
He's already signed thru 2014. Set to make somewhere between 3-3.5M each of those years. Do you mean if he restructures to only receive vet league minimum? He took a pay cut last season w/out recouping any of the money lost in a bonus or what not. Him taking another could happen again, but I just can't help but think that kubiak will not move on from him & allow the others opportunities to step up.
Old 01-18-2013   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I had hoped that Kubiak would work Jean into the line-up more to take over those blocking situations, but I guess Jean wasn't consistent enough in any aspect of the game to earn more playing time.

And now with the injury to Posey, I don't know what to say.

Reduce Walter salary and keep him one more year and draft another receiver is probably the most prudent thing to do.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
He's already signed thru 2014. Set to make somewhere between 3-3.5M each of those years. Do you mean if he restructures to only receive vet league minimum? He took a pay cut last season w/out recouping any of the money lost in a bonus or what not. Him taking another could happen again, but I just can't help but think that kubiak will not move on from him & allow the others opportunities to step up.
He has a contract, but none of it is guaranteed at this point. Cutting him this offseason will save 4.5 million dollars in 2013, which could be used to get a WR who can catch and run better. If he's willing to go to vet minimum, I don't mind keeping him around, but if he restructures to 3 million again, then we are just wasting money that could be better spent elsewhere.
Old 01-18-2013   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He has a contract, but none of it is guaranteed at this point. Cutting him this offseason will save 4.5 million dollars in 2013, which could be used to get a WR who can catch and run better. If he's willing to go to vet minimum, I don't mind keeping him around, but if he restructures to 3 million again, then we are just wasting money that could be better spent elsewhere.
$2M, maybe $2.5 max just as a token for valor, what do you think?

And watch, they will just pay him the 4, LoL!
Old 01-18-2013   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

1.5 million, that's my final offer!
Old 01-18-2013   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
1.5 million, that's my final offer!
It can happen, but I kinda of doubt it though, haven't we learned anything about the Texans organization yet? It's kinda of good and not so good ???
Old 01-18-2013   #15
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:

No on both. That's what he weaseled out of them this season for another stellar year of blocking. That's just too much for what has to offer or lack thereof.

The Texans need the money so I can't see them giving him 4 after cutting his pay last season. That money could easily be used to help sign Quin who has more to offer to this team imo.
Old 01-18-2013   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No on both. That's what he weaseled out of them this season for another stellar year of blocking. That's just too much for what has to offer or lack thereof.

The Texans need the money so I can't see them giving him 4 after cutting his pay last season. That money could easily be used to help sign Quin who has more to offer to this team imo.
I can see them doing it if they need to; after all they let quite a few guys walk last year.
Old 01-18-2013   #17
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
I can see them doing it if they need to; after all they let quite a few guys walk last year.
I hear ya on letting guys walk last season. That's what kinda has me wondering if Antonio is on the radar. He's due to make 6M next season which is quite a bit. If the Texans feel it is necessary for them to free up more money I wouldn't be surprised if his name comes into play. I wouldn't like it, but after the last offseason moves I wouldn't rule out anything.
Old 01-18-2013   #18
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
I hear ya on letting guys walk last season. That's what kinda has me wondering if Antonio is on the radar. He's due to make 6M next season which is quite a bit. If the Texans feel it is necessary for them to free up more money I wouldn't be surprised if his name comes into play. I wouldn't like it, but after the last offseason moves I wouldn't rule out anything.
Antonio has had if not his best, one of his best seasons this year, don't think he's going anywhere.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #19
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Antonio has had if not his best, one of his best seasons this year, don't think he's going anywhere.
I realize that & I hope you are right, but I don't recall too many thinking DeMeco & Winston were going anywhere at this same time last year either. That salary cap will make teams do some strange things.
Old 01-18-2013   #20
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

This team drives me crazy sometimes. We keep around a WR who can't create separation or get open but blocks well. The #1 job of a receiver is to catch passes right? Then we let go talented traditional blocking FBs for what we all agree is a dangerous mismatch FB that the team refuses to use consistently. Kubs keeps Walters around because of his blocking value then gives up blocking advantage FB for mismatch FB we don't use as a advantage. Instaed Casey is constantly trying to only be a blocker which is not his strength, so confusing. At this point I would rather see a really good FB blocking for Foster and every ounce in a while that FB slips out for a huge catch with no one covering him(and sometimes drop that pass lol) atleast the blocking will be a advantage.

Its like Jeckil & Hyde.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read