Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2013   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are rewriting history now. This has never been a speedy offense. That's why they made such a big deal about the sugar huddle this season and kubiak mentioned he wanted to dabble with it.

And there were plenty of times in the past where kubiak had opted to take knees with plenty of time left on the clock before the half and people around here complained.

Our two minute offense in past seasons has been underwhelming. It's not like we were masters of the hurry up and then all of a sudden this season we changed.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #22
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Comeback Sequence Needed more Mustard for those Biscuits

I don't have a problem with the Texans trying to catch the Pats off guard with the deep ball on 4th and 1. If they can burn them for a TD the game is 31-20 with most of the 4th left...

The problem I have is with the throw Schaub made...if he was going the throw up a prayer, throw it to Andre further down the field and give him a chance to make a play.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
I don't have a problem with the Texans trying to catch the Pats off guard with the deep ball on 4th and 1. If they can burn them for a TD the game is 31-20 with most of the 4th left...

The problem I have is with the throw Schaub made...if he was going the throw up a prayer, throw it to Andre further down the field and give him a chance to make a play.
almost a quarter left and you chunk a low % 4th down pass deep down field in double coverage and hand the ball to Tom Brady on your own 33? That's good coaching to you? This team is the BEST team in the league throwing shallow crossing routes and dinking and dunking. Take a shot at the end zone if you are on other side of the 50 perhaps, but once they gave the Pats the ball back (already in scoring position) the game was essentially over the very next play.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #24
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
almost a quarter left and you chunk a low % 4th down pass deep down field in double coverage and hand the ball to Tom Brady on your own 33? That's good coaching to you? This team is the BEST team in the league throwing shallow crossing routes and dinking and dunking. Take a shot at the end zone if you are on other side of the 50 perhaps, but once they gave the Pats the ball back (already in scoring position) the game was essentially over the very next play.
Not to mention AJ's more than likely got a safety over the top...that's an easy pick..it's 1 of the reason Schaub doesn't just throw it up there like that. Yates tried it a few times last year against the Ravens...how'd that turn out for him?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
That can't be it. No way we pay a guy $60M if they don't trust him to run a 2 minute offense. The problem has to be elsewhere. There's someone, something else he doesn't trust.
I didn't say never; I only said "not much".
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
running the no-huddle and hurry up was not an issue in years past. I surmise its probably the WR's and O-line....right side of the o-line specifically.
Running that kind of a scheme calls for a lot of quick passes; you don't need a stout O-line to do that. You don't need great receivers either. You need a QB with a quick release that can also make quick decision most of all. Snap, ball gone; whether it's long or short or anything in between.

Look at Keenum, his O-line at UH wasn't much; none of his receivers were drafted; he went against teams that played Luck, RG III, Weeden, Tannerhill, you name it.

They were going so fast, they wore their own defense down, the coaches had to tone it down in the second half of the season.
Old 01-18-2013   #27
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
However, if you're on our defense, STs got the offense to the 12 yard line, & we settled for a field goal, what would you be thinking?
How the $#!+ did James Casey let a gimmie TD pass go right through his damned hands?!?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #28
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Over the last six games (counting the two playoff games), the Texans offense possessed the ball 67 times. They scored 8 TDs. Schaub threw for 2 of those, alongside several interceptions. One of them was a garbage time TD that did not threaten the game in any way. At least two more of the offensive TDs (one by Yates, one by Foster) were also garbage time TDs that did not threaten the scoreboard in any meaningful fashion.

On the season, it looks like the Texans attempted more FGs than any other playoff team, and quite a few of those came in the last six games.
Old 01-18-2013   #29
9baller
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Running that kind of a scheme calls for a lot of quick passes; you don't need a stout O-line to do that. You don't need great receivers either. You need a QB with a quick release that can also make quick decision most of all. Snap, ball gone; whether it's long or short or anything in between.

Look at Keenum, his O-line at UH wasn't much; none of his receivers were drafted; he went against teams that played Luck, RG III, Weeden, Tannerhill, you name it.

They were going so fast, they wore their own defense down, the coaches had to tone it down in the second half of the season.
I was wondering about how quick Keenum gets rid of the ball. I think I heard that Brady is the quickest in the NFL and gets rid of the ball in just over 3 seconds. Do you have any clue about this?
9baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9baller View Post
I was wondering about how quick Keenum gets rid of the ball. I think I heard that Brady is the quickest in the NFL and gets rid of the ball in just over 3 seconds. Do you have any clue about this?
Well, actually, a Pat fan posted either here or on their MB (I can't remember which) that there was a report that Brady got the ball out on the average in 2.2 seconds; I don't know whether that's true or not.

In 2011 I think, during one of our games, the network shows a comparison between Peyton and somebody (I don't remember who) getting set and pull the trigger to see how fast it is. But this is different from getting the ball out counting from the moment the ball is snapped.

What I had done before the last draft was to take screen shots of various QBs in the draft on pass plays.

I focus on just the shotgun, because many of them hardly take the ball from under center.

I measure the time on different routes; let's say a 10 yard out or a 35 yard deep out, etc.

I can guarantee with you that on the average, Keenum gets the ball out of there quicker than any QB in the last draft.

Too bad, I didn't store but a few screen shots.
I can do it again, but I will be busy for a couple of weeks; I will have to get to it later.
Old 01-18-2013   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Over the last six games (counting the two playoff games), the Texans offense possessed the ball 67 times. They scored 8 TDs. Schaub threw for 2 of those, alongside several interceptions. One of them was a garbage time TD that did not threaten the game in any way. At least two more of the offensive TDs (one by Yates, one by Foster) were also garbage time TDs that did not threaten the scoreboard in any meaningful fashion.

On the season, it looks like the Texans attempted more FGs than any other playoff team, and quite a few of those came in the last six games.
This is what leads me to believe something happened that we aren't fully aware of, more than something is fundamentally wrong with this team.

If Schaub wasn't "good enough" we never would have gotten to 12-1. If the right side of our line was the problem, we never would have gotten to 12-1. If our coach is over his head, we never would have gotten to 12-1.

Along the way, we beat some pretty good teams, Denver, Chicago (when they're healthy, they're as good as any team out there & they were healthy to start that game), & Baltimore. We beat some decent teams, Indy, Miami & Detroit. We beat some bad teams, Jacksonville, Buffalo, & NYJets.

No one expected us to go undefeated, you win some, you lose some. But when we lost, we were utterly & completely dismantled. At least against the elite teams, Green Bay & New England. Other teams were able to show up against those teams, but not us. Totally dominated on both sides of the ball. Then there was Minnesota & Indy, our offense was completely useless.

I think there is something to be said about choking in big games. But the Bengals game was a big game. Definite issues in the red zone, but our running game looked good, our passing game looked good, our defense looked good. Cincinnati was the better team, but we managed to win.

Something happened, I don't know what it was, but we weren't able to overcome. I don't think our team's fundamentals are that bad. Not saying that I'm hoping for more of the same, or a small improvement going further. I'd like a Super Bowl as much as the rest of you, but I'm not "sure" a new QB is the quickest path, or a new Coach, or a new "philosophy" I honestly don't know what is, but I'm not liking what I'm hearing so far.
Old 01-18-2013   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well, actually, a Pat fan posted either here or on their MB (I can't remember which) that there was a report that Brady got the ball out on the average in 2.2 seconds; I don't know whether that's true or not.

In 2011 I think, during one of our games, the network shows a comparison between Peyton and somebody (I don't remember who) getting set and pull the trigger to see how fast it is. But this is different from getting the ball out counting from the moment the ball is snapped.

What I had done before the last draft was to take screen shots of various QBs in the draft on pass plays.

I focus on just the shotgun, because many of them hardly take the ball from under center.

I measure the time on different routes; let's say a 10 yard out or a 35 yard deep out, etc.

I can guarantee with you that on the average, Keenum gets the ball out of there quicker than any QB in the last draft.

Too bad, I didn't store but a few screen shots.
I can do it again, but I will be busy for a couple of weeks; I will have to get to it later.
And then it's more involved than just that as far as the art of QBking.
Sometimes you would see Keenum fake throwing a ten yard out only to throw a swing pass, or vice versa.

How often does he look off the safety (or safeties).
How often does he look left but throw right.
How well does he pull the D-linemen in on a screen pass without getting sack as to give the RB more room to operate.
Can be tell that the CB doesn't have time to look back and throw a pass at the back of his head where only his receiver can adjust to the ball.
Can he gauge the depth of the double coverage and where the defenders are headed and throw the ball to a place where his receiver is in the best position to make the play even though it's double coverage.
How well does he lead his receiver so that he can catch the ball in stride or out of harm way.

I had noted that Luck had led Osuwu to 3 concussions because he failed to do so, subjecting his receiver to an unecessary big hit.

Things like that...
Old 01-18-2013   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How often does he look off the safety (or safeties).
How often does he look left but throw right.
How well does he pull the D-linemen in on a screen pass without getting sack as to give the RB more room to operate.
Gruden a coach many clamor for around here said Schaub does both of the first two excellently and broke down several plays showing it before one of the games. I don't recall Schaub being sacked on any screen plays. There may be some examples but certainly enough to call it a problem.
Old 01-19-2013   #34
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
How the $#!+ did James Casey let a gimmie TD pass go right through his damned hands?!?
That & were the heck was schaub throwing his next pass that missed a wide open Andre in the endzone by a mile.

The receivers didn't help Schaub, but he hurt himself on a few occasions as well.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #35
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

The title of this thread is exactly the problem and symptomatic of Kubiak:

who the heck puts mustard on biscuits???

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #36
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Why listen to a Cowboys fan on what's wrong with this team? Do you think his opinion has any more weight than anyone here? I guarantee you 90% of these posters know more than him, why should we care what a cowboys fan thinks?
Dude my whole point was that you dont have to be a fan of or follow the texans to see what the problems with the team are. Cause it is that obvious.

Thought the post was kind of obvious, its not like i give a damn what a boys fan think about the other texas team.
Old 01-19-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Gruden a coach many clamor for around here said Schaub does both of the first two excellently and broke down several plays showing it before one of the games. I don't recall Schaub being sacked on any screen plays. There may be some examples but certainly enough to call it a problem.
I think you're right, I think Gruden talked about that.
I wasn't really talking about Schaub in this specific instance, I was talking about all the QBs that were drafted.

But Schaub can still do better on those things.
For example, on the pass that he threw in the endzone to Walter that McCourty intercepted, he didn't look off the safety.

I believe AJ was running a route on the left (where McCourty had an eye on in case AJ runs a post route, and Foster sneaked out of the backfield, Schaub never tried to freeze McCourty. Either that, or Schaub could lure the safety and dumped the ball to Foster.

On the screen pass, I don't recall an instance where Schaub was sacked (but he might have been), but I would say it's probably more of a problem by the O-lineman. But I was really talking about the rookie QBs.

More often though, the QB has a lot to do with whether he's quick enough with his read to know that a defender is coming in too quickly, and he needs to get the ball out faster for a better chance of a completion, or he needs to draw the defender know close enough so that the back doesn't get tackled before he can make a move.

Sometimes, it's better for the QB to fake a pass to one flat before throwing tbe screen pass to the other side as to avoid getting the ball batted down.

I've seen Keenum do this very well like an NFL veteran.

These are the things that those of us who follow Keenum closely notice.
And that's why we said that he's such a smart QB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read