Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-18-2013   #1
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Manti Te'o

How far will he fall?

If you were Rick Smith what would do if he dropped to you? Take him regardless of his performance in the NCG? Regardless of all this mess he's involved in right now?
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #2
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manti Te'o

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
How far will he fall?

If you were Rick Smith what would do if he dropped to you? Take him regardless of his performance in the NCG? Regardless of all this mess he's involved in right now?
I think he's been overrated all year. He only won all those awards because of the girlfriend story and the media sympathy. There were numerous LB's with better numbers who didn't even get considered for those awards. It was a farce that he was even invited to the Heisman ceremony. There have been much better defensive performances over the years than his. All of his hype stems from this story about his girlfriend.

That said, I can't comment on his draftability unless I got to see him at the combine, pro day, workouts, etc. His interview process will be crucial as well. Too many factors right now, but to answer OP I would lean toward only drafting him in rounds 3-4 if he free falls.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm the GM, I don't draft him at all. He's either the biggest idiot or biggest liar in college football and I don't want either on my team. There are other guys who I like that I'd take instead in later rounds, AJ Klein, Kiko Alonso, Kevin Reddick, etc... As for the real NFL, they have short memories and will draft him based on skill level. I'm thinking in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 01-18-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't want Teo BEFORE this stuff came out.

I wasn't a fan of his BEFORE the nc game.

That said, if he falls to the third round or later you have to at least consider it.

But I'm not going to be clamoring for the guy at any point. But coverage wise he'd be an upgrade over what we have.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

That said, if he falls to the third round or later you have to at least consider it.

But I'm not going to be clamoring for the guy at any point. But coverage wise he'd be an upgrade over what we have.
I'd almost be willing to ditch the ILB all together and plug in a thumper safety with coverage skills in that spot on a regular basis.

Quick , someone go clone Jack Tatum in his prime.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Manti dropping to 27 would be a gift. but media circus that would follow may be too much for boys on Kirby? but from evaluation perspective he should be on the Texan short list with razor thin LB position.

I hope another team bites to push another prospect down to #27. I would rather grab a high ceiling WR then address LB with 2nd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I'd almost be willing to ditch the ILB all together and plug in a thumper safety with coverage skills in that spot on a regular basis.

Quick , someone go clone Jack Tatum in his prime.
I mentioned last year that Taylor mays might be a good fit for this defense of wade could get creative with him. Better coverage skills than most lb's would have, but bigger and stronger than most safeties.

I thought if we could coach him up he'd be ideal for that joker role that Quinn plays. Which would allow us to leave Quinn back deep.

The safety I like in this draft for that role is lester from bama. Not the physical freak that mays is, but has the size, good athleticism, physical and has good technique.
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2013   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mentioned last year that Taylor mays might be a good fit for this defense of wade could get creative with him. Better coverage skills than most lb's would have, but bigger and stronger than most safeties.

I thought if we could coach him up he'd be ideal for that joker role that Quinn plays. Which would allow us to leave Quinn back deep.

The safety I like in this draft for that role is lester from bama. Not the physical freak that mays is, but has the size, good athleticism, physical and has good technique.
Why didn't the Texans just keep Pollard then?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-18-2013   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Why didn't the Texans just keep Pollard then?
I think part of the same reason they traded Demeco.

They aren't going to take a team leader, someone used to always being on the field, and make them into a niche role player.

Better to find someone cheap for that.

Once I saw wade's 3 safety defense I thought that wouldve been a nice role for pollard.
Old 01-18-2013   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

no way they take him in the first round. Dude can't man cover and he isn't a great tackler in space.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Jaguars will get Tebow and draft Manti Te'o . This will create the biggest NFL sideshow ever .

On a football note , I'd take Minter and Overstreet every time over Manti Te'o .
Old 01-18-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
How far will he fall?
When it's all said and done I don't think it'll materially impact his position. Not about football.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think the Jaguars will get Tebow and draft Manti Te'o . This will create the biggest NFL sideshow ever .

On a football note , I'd take Minter and Overstreet every time over Manti Te'o .
Overstreet is the best ILB in this draft. I agree I would rank Te'o 3rd.
Old 01-19-2013   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Overstreet is the best ILB in this draft. I agree I would rank Te'o 3rd.
Who's Overstreet? Are yall thinking of Ogletree from Georgia? He's my #1 ILB.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Who's Overstreet? Are yall thinking of Ogletree from Georgia? He's my #1 ILB.
Yes I meant Ogletree.
Old 01-19-2013   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear Overthetrees is good.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #17
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I hear Overthetrees is good.
I've been clamoring for Oventrees since he was a freshman!
Old 01-19-2013   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

^^^^
This

But he is not physical enough to play next to Cushing in a 3-4.

Teo would best be used as a WLB in a 4-3 defense. IMHO

I would take him in the 3rd rd if I was Wade.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Wade would run to the podium (would be quite the sight) selecting Manti Te'o w/27th overall pick. How anyone can say he doesn't fit inside or next to player like Cushing is inexplicable

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-19-2013   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This

But he is not physical enough to play next to Cushing in a 3-4.

Teo would best be used as a WLB in a 4-3 defense. IMHO

I would take him in the 3rd rd if I was Wade.
he's more of a Scam linebacker than a Will linebacker...he looks too slow to play the weakside.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read