Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-17-2013   #21
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Won't Rule Out Drafting QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
I can only think of EJ Manuel if they mention mobile qb.
PUKE!

We already have a QB who struggles in big games.. Manuel is even (exponentially) worse. No Thanks.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #22
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 53922 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Michael Vick is mobile

just saying

Thanks OP, would be very nice to get the next mobile qb.
So is Vince Young.

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #23
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
They should be scouting QB's either way. When Schaub's contract is over in three years, his wear-and-tear alone would discourage an extension.
He signed a 4 year extension to add to the previous 1 year, so Schaubby will be around through 2016.
Old 01-17-2013   #24
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Zac dysert please!
Yep, what rd? I like Dysert alot. Big mobile, great arm, accurate.

Or my guy Bray in the 2nd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #25
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65569 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
What do you guys think of Jordan Rodgers from Vanderbilt or BJ Daniels from South Florida?
To put it lightly? No on both.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #26
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1795 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep, what rd? I like Dysert alot. Big mobile, great arm, accurate.

Or my guy Bray in the 2nd.
I like both guys. I also wouldn't mind waiting until next draft to address QB. The top five next draft would be Mccarron, Murray, Bridgewater, Boyd, and Manziel possibly.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #27
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 7380 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Michael Vick is mobile

just saying
I wish we could pick up Vick.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #28
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

says sports yahooo LOL no way we are drafting a QB

besides it wasent my time but Young and elway were not that moblie IMO yeah maybe there first 3 years but after that nope and neither won a SB till later in there career right ..??? when they were more pocket passers

and call me crazy but i dont think a "moblie" QB has ever one the Super bowl and i bet that trend will continue this year yet again
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #29
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 7380 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

besides it wasent my time but Young and elway were not that moblie IMO yeah maybe there first 3 years but after that nope and neither won a SB till later in there career right ..??? when they were more pocket passers

and call me crazy but i dont think a "moblie" QB has ever one the Super bowl and i bet that trend will continue this year yet again
Aaron Rodgers wouldn't qualify as a mobile QB?
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #30
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
yeah i was thinking about that but hes a pocket passer trough and through IMO

mobile to means u gotta be really fast and be able to lay the wood on someone when a linebacker is going to come and lay the wood on rodgers what do u think hes going to do go in head first or slide ...????? SLIDE i say and lets be honest arron does not have world athelthic speed

anywayz watch in 4 years Rodgers will not be running has fast or at all
Old 01-18-2013   #31
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Quote:
yeah i was thinking about that but hes a pocket passer trough and through IMO

mobile to means u gotta be really fast and be able to lay the wood on someone when a linebacker is going to come and lay the wood on rodgers what do u think hes going to do go in head first or slide ...????? SLIDE i say and lets be honest arron does not have world athelthic speed

anywayz watch in 4 years Rodgers will not be running has fast or at all
I guess I disagree with the "you gotta be really fast and be able to "lay the wood on someone" when you're talking about QBs. That's why I have running backs. RGIII ain't gonna "lay the wood" on any decent LB.

And actually, I would consider all three - Steve Young, John Elway, and Aaron Rodgers - as mobile QBs. True, they aren't speedy, OPTION QBs in the RGIII and Kaepernick sense, but they were/are mobile and elusive enough to escape the rush and make the rollout pass effective. Plus they had/have the deep ball at their disposal. That would still be an upgrade from what we have now.

If you'll only swap Schaub for the next RGIII, Kaepernick, or Russell Wilson, you may be stuck with Schaub for quite a while.
Old 01-18-2013   #32
Norg
Hall of Fame

ok yeah u gotta be athelthic enough to move around in the pocket and run four 4 to 5 yards then slide thats a plus i guess thats like teir 1 Mobile QB IMO Rodgers alex smith etc etc teir 2 would be RG III and Kapernick

IMO running a bootleg play were u run back fake the run then run a U behind the line isnt that hard any QB can do that mobile or not the hard part on thoes plays is reading the COverage very fast before the free Man comes rushing in your face and there is well most of the time a free Linemen or Lber coming at U

haha and yeah and the only people that might lay some wood on u is the FB type QB's the ones that are big and strong alla David garred used to be like that TIm tebow maybe and Josh Freemen
Old 01-18-2013   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Texans also won't rule out drafting OL, TE, WR, RB, DL, LB, DB.

Our sources tell us Texans are unlikely to draft a K or P.
Exactly, this is just "source" speak, much like coach speak, means nothing.

If Kubiak thought there was a problem at the QB position, we'd have seen more Tj Yates in our 20 point victories, where the offense did nothing to help us win in the second half.
Old 01-18-2013   #34
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
IDK, I've heard this draft is pretty thin at QB.
It's not that it's thin at QB, there's just no guys that look like they are worth taking in the top 5 currently. This is all prior to any workouts or senior/east-west games so that obviously can change. There are quite a bit of QB's that have some good measureables and some good skills, but they aren't quite as slam dunk'ish as say last year, or the year before (No Cam Newton, No Andrew Luck, No RGIII).

Of course you guys know as well as I do that Bob McNair is holding out for Johnny Foootball.
Old 01-18-2013   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
It's not that it's thin at QB, there's just no guys that look like they are worth taking in the top 5 currently. This is all prior to any workouts or senior/east-west games so that obviously can change. There are quite a bit of QB's that have some good measureables and some good skills, but they aren't quite as slam dunk'ish as say last year, or the year before (No Cam Newton, No Andrew Luck, No RGIII).

Of course you guys know as well as I do that Bob McNair is holding out for Johnny Foootball.
I think it'd be far from possible to see Johnny Football in a Texans jersey.

1. There's no guarantee that this guy is going to replicate his second season in the SEC. SEC teams will prepare for him more than ever, and at some point they will figure out a way to shut him down at least enough to make him average.

2. Even IF he continues on a superstar track, we'd have to be bad enough to be in a position to get him. Or, we'd have to trade a lot of assets to get into position to get him. And with the way the 49ers and Seahawks have found their own Johnny Football QB, I don't even think a team would take a large grouping of trade assets from us. I think they'd stay put and take the kid themselves.

3. The kid's character is poor. He's way too open with his activities, as in SCARES THE HELL OUT OF MCNAIR type of character. He's dirty dancing with a girl who looks like she came straight from a whore house, he's openly drinking champagne even though he's not 21, and there's other stuff too that scares a guy like McNair. Could we chalk this up to him just being young and wild...something that goes away as quickly as it came upon him this year? I dunno. But I bet McNair thinks someone else can take that risk.

That's only 3 scenarios in which Johnny Football won't be a Texans QB.

I think a better solution would be to hire Kevin Sumlin at the end of 2013's season, after Kubiak again gets waxed in the divisional round because he played Matt Schaub again and got the same results. Again. Then Sumlin could work with Case Keenum, or you could see if it's possible to throw all your chips into the Johnny Football race. Either way, I think IF Sumlin makes the Aggies special again, we could easily send Kubiak to A&M and Sumlin to the Texans.
Old 01-18-2013   #36
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

One
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #37
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel redshirted, so he can come out after one more year.

Young and Elway were absolutely, positively mobile qb's. For their time, they were two of the top 3 or 4 mobile qb's in the whole league.

Young had over 4,200 yards rushing in his career. That is 3rd all-time for a qb behind Vick and Cunningham. Elway is also in the top 7 all-time for qb's in rushing yards.

You have Cunningham, Vick, Young, Tarkenton, McNair, McNabb and Elway.
Those are the top seven running qb's of all time.

Aaron Rodgers is also certainly a mobile qb. He was 7th in the league this year in rushing for a qb, behind RG3, Kaepernick, Wilson, Newton, Vick and Locker.

Roethlisberger is also one of the most mobile qb's in the NFL. Maybe he does not end up running for a lot of yards, buthe is certainly mobile in the pocket.

Lastly, who even cares if a mobile qb had truly never won a Super Bowl, though that is not true. In 1960, a team that passed more than 15 times a game had never won a championship either.
Things change. Evolve or get left behind.
Old 01-18-2013   #38
RT22
Veteran

Rep Power: 3883 RT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans were looking to draft a QB to groom it would one more like R. Wilson. A 3rd pick that is mobile and athletic (not a 4.4 guy but can run for 5-10 yards if needed) accurate with a good deep ball he will have a knock on him that will be obvious. He will have to have a body of work no one year wonder types. Our biggest weakness with our current group of QB's is that there is no threat to run on the backside of the boot/play-action to keep the defense honest. When you have that threat it opens the run lanes for the one cut in the zone blocking scheme.
RT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #39
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Let's be honest, of all the Superbowls this is kind of how I see it. More great QB's have won the game more than average, over a 45 year span. 8 QB's that I would consider a "game manager" has ever won the superbowl, and a couple are suspect as a game manager, as I think that has to come off when you win more than one superbowl.

Phill Simms/Bob Griese

In short you have to have a "GREAT" qb to have the best chance at winning the superbowl IMHO. I feel the facts below only reinforce the fact we don't have a superbowl QB that gives us the best chance to win the big game.

Super Bowl I - Bart Starr, Green Bay
Super Bowl II - Bart Starr, Green Bay
Super Bowl III - Joe Namath, New York Jets
Super Bowl IV - Len Dawson, Kansas City
Super Bowl V - Earl Morrall and Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts*
Super Bowl VI - Roger Staubach, Dallas
Super Bowl VII - Bob Griese, Miami
Super Bowl VIII - Bob Griese, Miami

Super Bowl IX - Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh
Super Bowl X - Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh
Super Bowl XI - Ken Stabler, Oakland
Super Bowl XII - Roger Staubach, Dallas
Super Bowl XIII - Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh
Super Bowl XIV - Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh
Super Bowl XV - Jim Plunkett, Oakland
Super Bowl XVI - Joe Montana, San Francisco
Super Bowl XVII - Joe Theismann, Washington
Super Bowl XVIII - Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders
Super Bowl XIX - Joe Montana, San Francisco
Super Bowl XX - Jim McMahon, Chicago
Super Bowl XXI - Phil Simms, New York Giants
Super Bowl XXII - Doug Williams, Washington

Super Bowl XXIII - Joe Montana, San Francisco
Super Bowl XXIV - Joe Montana, San Francisco
Super Bowl XXV - Jeff Hostetler and Phil Simms, New York Giants**
Super Bowl XXVI - Mark Rypien, Washington
Super Bowl XXVII - Troy Aikman, Dallas
Super Bowl XXVIII - Troy Aikman, Dallas
Super Bowl XXIX - Steve Young, San Francisco
Super Bowl XXX - Troy Aikman, Dallas
Super Bowl XXXI - Bret Favre, Green Bay
Super Bowl XXXII - John Elway, Denver
Super Bowl XXXIII - John Elway, Denver
Super Bowl XXXIV - Kurt Warner, St. Louis
Super Bowl XXXV - Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens
Super Bowl XXXVI - Tom Brady, New England
Super Bowl XXXVII - Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay
Super Bowl XXXVIII - Tom Brady, New England
Super Bowl XXXIX - Tom Brady, New England
Super Bowl XL - Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh
Super Bowl XLI - Peyton Manning, Indianapolis
Super Bowl XLII -Eli Manning, New York Giants
Super Bowl XLIII -Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh
Super Bowl XLIV -Drew Brees, New Orleans
Super Bowl XLV -Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay
Super Bowl XLVI -Eli Manning, New York Giants

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #40
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

Super Bowl IV - Len Dawson, Kansas City

Matt just needs to take up smoking.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read