Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2013   #81
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' LB Brooks Reed: "we weren’t fully prepared"

Texans weren't prepared or their preparation wasn't adequate.
Can't even recall how many times the Texans came out flat these last two years?
Kubiak will be back. Wade will be back. Schaub will be back. So unless one of those three reach an epiphany of some type, should we expect anything different next season?
Much more excited about the teams future after the Yates play off run Vs. this years.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #82
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Belichick is known for drafting guys who can do multiple things and i think this is what 76Texan is trying to get at. The adjustments they made are probably less of an issue and were relatively minor b/c of this.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #83
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me see if I can bring in an analogy here.

Perhaps basketball, as it involves fewer players.

The Pats is like a fast break team; it doesn't need a great center to go downfield in a hurry.

The key is the point guard who can press the ball down court.
You don't need a dominant Center or PFW to do this; you need a dominant point guard. You don't even need a great shooting guard.

But those guys need to be able to run all day long to keep up with your incredible creative point guard.

The key to your success is the point guard, everything else is secondary.

If your basketball team is center-driven, it's different.
If your team relies on the 3, it's also different.

I hope I brought a decent analogy. !??
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #84
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you look at the Lakers of old with Magic Johnson in there.

It doesn't really matter if one other guy goes down.
They still ran the same plays; the guy that pulled the trigger was Magic.
Old 01-16-2013   #85
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The basketball analogy was as bad as the football analogies - they make no sense.
Old 01-16-2013   #86
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It appears that neither the Texans defense nor Texans offense have any hurry up abilities this season.

I blame coaching for this lack of preparedness. Wade saw it a few weeks ago, but the defense did not adjust to it.

And Gary should have had the offense ready to take advantage of the opposing defense and mismatches, as well as be prepared to play catch up as most of us already knew that the Texans would most likely be playing from behind.

Are our coaches that stubborn? I do not believe they are incompetent, so the only thing I can think of is that they are too stubborn to adapt.

How would you adjust to New England's hurry up?
Old 01-16-2013   #87
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
The basketball analogy was as bad as the football analogies - they make no sense.
It's easy to state an opinion, it's much harder to explain why you think this and that.
Old 01-16-2013   #88
boom boom
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 boom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yep, we were out coached on that. I think Wade even admitted that. Other players said it was chaos out there at times.
hello, i am a huge patriots fan but you guys have nothing to be ashamed of. the texans are a damn good football team and you will be taken seriously and tough to beat for years to come. you guys have established an identity and as a pats fan i like it. i just hope the pats can dominate the ravens like the texans did. dont worry the texans will be back next year, will learn from this experience and be ready for big games. good luck texans fans and congrats on a great year. there are 28 other teams that would love to be in your shoes, dont ever forget that. GOOD LUCK
boom boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #89
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom boom View Post
hello, i am a huge patriots fan but you guys have nothing to be ashamed of. the texans are a damn good football team and you will be taken seriously and tough to beat for years to come. you guys have established an identity and as a pats fan i like it. i just hope the pats can dominate the ravens like the texans did. dont worry the texans will be back next year, will learn from this experience and be ready for big games. good luck texans fans and congrats on a great year. there are 28 other teams that would love to be in your shoes, dont ever forget that. GOOD LUCK
Thank you, for I know you don't need to be coming here this late to give kudos.

I do like the takes on your MB; there are a lot of good people there.

I don't think I need to wish you or your team luck, even though it always help.
Old 01-16-2013   #90
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It's easy to state an opinion, it's much harder to explain why you think this and that.
As a former college basketball player, college coach, international scout, and agent I can tell you that your basketball analogy was on par with many of your football takes.
Old 01-16-2013   #91
boom boom
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 boom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It appears that neither the Texans defense nor Texans offense have any hurry up abilities this season.

I blame coaching for this lack of preparedness. Wade saw it a few weeks ago, but the defense did not adjust to it.

And Gary should have had the offense ready to take advantage of the opposing defense and mismatches, as well as be prepared to play catch up as most of us already knew that the Texans would most likely be playing from behind.

Are our coaches that stubborn? I do not believe they are incompetent, so the only thing I can think of is that they are too stubborn to adapt.
hey, as a huge patriots fan i just wanted to say you guys have a tremendous team and had a tremendous year. the texans are a team that will be reckoned with for years to come with an identity now. ive enjoyed watching your team play and jj watt and arian foster are tremendous. good luck next year and again even though im a pats fan i enjoy watching the texans play. there tough, physical, and have alot of skilled players. if you guys get another top receiver to help andre johnson out, you guys will be in the super bowl. good luck brother
Old 01-16-2013   #92
boom boom
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Thank you, for I know you don't need to be coming here this late to give kudos.

I do like the takes on your MB; there are a lot of good people there.

I don't think I need to wish you or your team luck, even though it always help.
thanks, i just hope we can dominate the ravens like you guys did. you guys destroyed the ravens. thats one of the best games the texans played all year. after watching that game i was nervous of you guys and quite frankly will be next year as well
Old 01-16-2013   #93
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Landry was the DC with the Giants and Lombardi was the OC with the Giants . Landry had the defensive background . I thought Lombardi was not so much the innovator as he was the the guy who made sured you were prepared for anything on a given play .

I kinda think Wade's wishy washy I wanna be a head coach again wore then with the troops . I don't believe that Cushing's injury was the reason the defense regressed that much .
Very true. Landry was DC for the Giants AND was a player at the same time. Which is crazy. Even though Landry had a defensive background, his genius was as an offensive innovator....but I digress.

I fear this defense will begin regressing under Wade. I just have a sick feeling in my stomach...Just like it did in Dallas and in his other stops. He cannot or will not adjust, I don't know which it is.
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #94
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom boom View Post
hey, as a huge patriots fan i just wanted to say you guys have a tremendous team and had a tremendous year. the texans are a team that will be reckoned with for years to come with an identity now. ive enjoyed watching your team play and jj watt and arian foster are tremendous. good luck next year and again even though im a pats fan i enjoy watching the texans play. there tough, physical, and have alot of skilled players. if you guys get another top receiver to help andre johnson out, you guys will be in the super bowl. good luck brother
Thanks dude, but it will take a bit more than having another WR to get the ball to in order to get where we want to go! Namely a better QB and a HC with cojones. Look at the Pats, they are always in attack mode, that and you have a HOF QB, lol. But thanks...
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #95
boom boom
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcore View Post
Very true. Landry was DC for the Giants AND was a player at the same time. Which is crazy. Even though Landry had a defensive background, his genius was as an offensive innovator....but I digress.

I fear this defense will begin regressing under Wade. I just have a sick feeling in my stomach...Just like it did in Dallas and in his other stops. He cannot or will not adjust, I don't know which it is.
hey tex, this is just my opionion but if the texans get another receiver that can spread the field your offense would be dominant, you agree
Old 01-16-2013   #96
boom boom
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcore View Post
Thanks dude, but it will take a bit more than having another WR to get the ball to in order to get where we want to go! Namely a better QB and a HC with cojones. Look at the Pats, they are always in attack mode, that and you have a HOF QB, lol. But thanks...
thanks tex, im surprised by kubiak being conservative, because he knows it takes cojones to win the big one like he did with john elway and mike shanahan two years in a row.
Old 01-16-2013   #97
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Honest question:

Is any defense ever really ready for the hurry-up offense? If so, how does a DC prepare for it?
you see them lining up and know you're not gonna be ready on D, jump offside and tackle brady/running back and take the 5 yd pen. well worth it to stop em and get the subs in and set up plus you get a hit on brady too.

if they wanna be cheap on offence, match it with cheap on defence. lets see if they start lining up quickly if its gonna mean a hit on brady
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okay, give him credit. But, this thread is about a Texans player admitting that they were not fully prepared, which is a less than positive light being shed. I'm not sure why praise is expected in a thread that is critical by nature.
Still, I don't read it as Brooks saying the coaches didn't prepare them, I think it's more of a "you don't know until you know" kind of thing.

Like Jj Watt, I'm sure everybody he's gone up against since week 6 knew he was strong & prepared to work against a bull. But then Jj punches them in the mouth & they realize they had no idea how strong he was & thus unprepared.

Of course, the fact that we played New England less than a month earlier & they beat us doing the same thing, it's hard to understand how they weren't "prepared"

Maybe Brooks is saying he wasn't prepared since he wasn't there last time.. I think it's obvious they weren't prepared, but I don't think Brooks would throw anyone under the bus. Which this statement pretty much does.
Old 01-16-2013   #99
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Good article on the Patriots system and the ways it always changes based on the players
Quote:
But what's allowed New England to maintain its success among the shifts is that its quarterback and coach aren't the only things that have remained the same. The core of the Patriots' offensive system has been threaded through its various stages, both stabilizing the transitions and allowing the next evolution. The design and organization of New England's system is better suited than any other to adapt to an NFL game in which change — of personnel, of trends, of schemes — is the only certainty.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...brady-patriots
Truthfully, that's just the author's opinion. He may have provided some subjective reasoning to defend his claim & at the present time (or even for some time) you happen to agree with this guy.

But I've heard similar things about several different systems. I've heard this about the spread offense, "that's why so many colleges run it." I've heard this about the airraid offense, I've heard this about the WCO, I've heard this about the ZBS...

It just depends on what's popular & who's winning.
Old 01-16-2013   #100
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
As a former college basketball player, college coach, international scout, and agent I can tell you that your basketball analogy was on par with many of your football takes.
We've met in person, but that's besides the point.

Credentials and all, it should be easy for you to prove a point.

It's not good, I don't think, to try to prove a point by saying nothing on the matter.

We're discussing a matter here, and you don't add or subtract anything from it, except interjecting a comment that has nothing to do with the discussion.

Should we take your take?
Welll, we don't even know what your take is on this matter!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read