Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #21
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 140 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Free Agents

I could see almost half of this list being resigned at the vet minimum. GQ is due for a slight raise along with Casey and Barwin. Yes, I said Barwin, lets say 1.2mil/yr. He's still a quality player, just not a premium pass rusher, and if someone offers higher than that, let him walk.

Not sure if we have to guarantee some of those minimum salaries, but the size of the roster increases in the offseason and we should be able to cut at will before the season starts.
Old 01-14-2013   #22
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin is a good vet, that's about it.

Same for the rest on the list outside of Quin. Quin is the only player I'd be upset at losing.
Old 01-14-2013   #23
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I figure we will get Casey back for hometown discount, but dammit I hope we somehow find a REAL fullback
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #24
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2088 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans spent over $600,000 for Jesse Nading and got nothing to show for it
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #25
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 45905 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

If we resign Demps, then I'm convince Wade has gone mental. Quin and Casey are high impact players that needs our highest attention this off season.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #26
Rufus Jarvis
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Rufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respected

Big yes for me on resigning Quin.

Might the Texans have the cap room to sign a Chris Gamble, Quentin Jammer or DeAngelo Hall if they become salary cap casualties for their current team?
Rufus Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #27
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
From me
Dutch have you done your salary cap work as yet? Usually find you manage to offer a pretty good aggregate of the different info available. I know we gain some from Ryans' dead money dropping off the books but otoh we have both AJ & Walter (?) having taken pay cuts this season and signed a few big new contracts that might scale up next season quite heftily so really don't know where we stand right now.

I know everyone looks for the big contributors and higher snap count guys to assess, but over a 3rd of the roster is UFA this season so you can expect a large chunk of those JAG's to be coming back. They know the system and will be ready to play if required.

If they can lock Barwin up long term on the cheap I have no problem with bringing him back, it's been a tough year across the LBs plus you have Watt often generating pressure all on his own. I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches have him graded higher than we do.

Cody, injured quite badly down the stretch and battled through, again lets see how much we can low ball him because he can contribute if cheap.

GQ and Brice I want back, and I hope they feel they can work with Routt because the physical tools are there and he can be real cheap.

Casey frustrates me but that is down to the way they use him over his ability. Don't think he's worth a premium if we aren't going to utilise him but I'd have no problem if he's going to be used as a hb or te, and not just a decoy.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #28
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Jarvis View Post
Big yes for me on resigning Quin.

Might the Texans have the cap room to sign a Chris Gamble, Quentin Jammer or DeAngelo Hall if they become salary cap casualties for their current team?
I don't see the point in that. We are hard against the cap already and we have a top 5 (when healthy) CB in Joseph and Jackson graded out as a very good CB this year. Money would be better spent elsewhere. Those guys are past it anyway. We already have Stanford Routt. If we want a guy like that we'll just re-sign him.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #29
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Dutch have you done your salary cap work as yet? Usually find you manage to offer a pretty good aggregate of the different info available. I know we gain some from Ryans' dead money dropping off the books but otoh we have both AJ & Walter (?) having taken pay cuts this season and signed a few big new contracts that might scale up next season quite heftily so really don't know where we stand right now.

I know everyone looks for the big contributors and higher snap count guys to assess, but over a 3rd of the roster is UFA this season so you can expect a large chunk of those JAG's to be coming back. They know the system and will be ready to play if required.

If they can lock Barwin up long term on the cheap I have no problem with bringing him back, it's been a tough year across the LBs plus you have Watt often generating pressure all on his own. I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches have him graded higher than we do.

Cody, injured quite badly down the stretch and battled through, again lets see how much we can low ball him because he can contribute if cheap.

GQ and Brice I want back, and I hope they feel they can work with Routt because the physical tools are there and he can be real cheap.

Casey frustrates me but that is down to the way they use him over his ability. Don't think he's worth a premium if we aren't going to utilise him but I'd have no problem if he's going to be used as a hb or te, and not just a decoy.
Yeah, I did put together a salary cap post on the bottom of the second page of this thread: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=96961&page=2

I'm still waiting on admin rights to that forum so I can clean up everything and put it all on the first page. I have more to add to it all, but I'm waiting on that. From what I can tell, we should have about 11.4 million in cap space (only 41 contracts), plus whatever increase in the cap is given by the NFL. John Clayton of ESPN says we will have 12.9 million, so I think we will have money to do quite a bit more than people were expecting this year. I have a section in that thread about cap casualties, and how much money can be saved by cutting Wade Smith, Antonio and/or Kevin Walter. Here's the graphic:

The Texans can open up another 13.5 million by cutting these guys. If nothing else, it gives them flexibility in free agency to have more options. I would gladly cut Walter if it meant getting a WR like Mike Wallace or Wes Welker. I couldn't care less about their run blocking skills, I just care about stretching the defense and upgrading the position. Or maybe they could take that money and spend it on defense, but spend a 1st or 2nd on a promising WR. Whatever, they do, I think there is a lot of flexibility this year to make some changes.
Old 01-15-2013   #30
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Wallace was awful this year. Dropped a ton of passes. He will cost a lot of money and I'm not sure he's worth it.

An under the radar signing I would like is Domenik Hixon. I doubt the Giants re-sign him because they are loaded at WR. He's an underrated player and has been under-utilized his entire career.

Walter needs to go at some point, but with Posey out next year I don't think we can afford to lose him now. I think we should restructure Antonio Smith. I would like to cut Wade Smith but I don't think we have the talent to replace him right now.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #31
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be extremely disappointed if Barwin is back. He is a complete and total zero. I felt that last season was deceptive with his sack numbers and this season didn't prove me wrong. Tired of clowns on this defense. Give me mean angry bullies who get pissed when you lose over clowns like Cody and Barwin who find ways to make jokes. Especially a nose tackle and pass rusher.
Old 01-15-2013   #32
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I'll be extremely disappointed if Barwin is back. He is a complete and total zero. I felt that last season was deceptive with his sack numbers and this season didn't prove me wrong. Tired of clowns on this defense. Give me mean angry bullies who get pissed when you lose over clowns like Cody and Barwin who find ways to make jokes. Especially a nose tackle and pass rusher.
If we can resign him again for a discounted back-up rate, I wouldn't be against it. He's not terrible, but he's also not starter material. I wouldn't want him starting next year.

On the other hand, I'd like to see McCain resigned. He's not the best cornerback, but he's the best 3rd corner we have. I don't want to see that scrub Harris on the field anymore.
Old 01-15-2013   #33
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
If we can resign him again for a discounted back-up rate, I wouldn't be against it. He's not terrible, but he's also not starter material. I wouldn't want him starting next year.

On the other hand, I'd like to see McCain resigned. He's not the best cornerback, but he's the best 3rd corner we have. I don't want to see that scrub Harris on the field anymore.
This. And can someone tell me why Shioah Keo is anywhere near the playing field? I can't figure it out. I guess we do have a serious depth problem if we put Keo in nickel situations.
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #34
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Keep Casey and Quin as for the rest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT3lbP5NkoE
Old 01-15-2013   #35
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post

...Are people not realising McCain was really horrible this season? I mean really horrible. He was graded to have a worse year than even Harris who had a rough one. So not sure where all the clamor is coming from unless you are reflecting on what he did in 2011. But this season Harris did just a touch better than McCain.

Put it like this...on PFF among 217 cornerbacks they have McCain at 209 in regards to his coverage last season.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #36
Rufus Jarvis
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Rufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I don't see the point in that. We are hard against the cap already
I did not know that.

Quote:

and we have a top 5 (when healthy) CB in Joseph and Jackson graded out as a very good CB this year.
I agree.

Quote:
Money would be better spent elsewhere. Those guys are past it anyway. We already have Stanford Routt. If we want a guy like that we'll just re-sign him.
I was thinking of putting Joseph in the Nickel instead of Quin. I think all 3 of those players on my wish-list are still top 20 Corners, but if we are against the cap, then yeah...it might be hard to do.

My angle is I'd like to get another top Corner/DB to put in the Nickel spot. The Texans $$$ may be better spent elsewhere though.
Rufus Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
This. And can someone tell me why Shioah Keo is anywhere near the playing field? I can't figure it out. I guess we do have a serious depth problem if we put Keo in nickel situations.
We HAVE to get better depth at safety. I'm OK with Quin and Manning starting, but Demps dropped a zillion interceptions and Keo should only be on ST, if that. I got askairt every time I saw Keo on the field.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Jarvis View Post
but if we are against the cap, then yeah...it might be hard to do.

My angle is I'd like to get another top Corner/DB to put in the Nickel spot. The Texans $$$ may be better spent elsewhere though.
We are not hard against the cap. Dutchrudder calculated it out and ESPN confirmed as things stand now the Texans have about $12.5 mil in room. Some restructuring could add more.
Old 01-16-2013   #39
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

Thanks guys, this is great!
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #40
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We are not hard against the cap. Dutchrudder calculated it out and ESPN confirmed as things stand now the Texans have about $12.5 mil in room. Some restructuring could add more.
I was just reading something over on Bleacher Report (yeah, I know) about the various teams and their salary cap situations. The Browns and Bengals are sitting at something like 50 million dollars of cap space!

What burns me is that the Colts have about 25 million and the Jags and Titans are sitting at around 17 million (iirc.)

We have to choose wisely this offseason. The Colts are really pissing me off.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read