Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #141
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What moves do you think will be made if any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Where are you getting that bradie was supposed to be a back up?

Everything I've seen and heard says he was brought here to start.

Teo would be an ok option. Not preferable IMO but would be an upgrade.
When Demeco was traded, Sharpton moved up into the starting spot. In the original pressers I read, when Bradie James was signed, I recall them saying he was brought in to provide competition for Sharpton AND (iirc), he wasn't paid much more than vet minimum.

With Sharpton on the sidelines and unable to compete and the fact that Bradie James knows this defense infinitely better than Sharpton does, he won the competition. But I don't think it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to start as soon as he was signed.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #142
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
When Demeco was traded, Sharpton moved up into the starting spot. In the original pressers I read, when Bradie James was signed, I recall them saying he was brought in to provide competition for Sharpton AND (iirc), he wasn't paid much more than vet minimum.

With Sharpton on the sidelines and unable to compete and the fact that Bradie James knows this defense infinitely better than Sharpton does, he won the competition. But I don't think it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to start as soon as he was signed.
When bradie was signed herring said he thought bradie would bring just as much to the team as Demeco or something like that. There was much conversation around here about his statements.

I think I even recall wade talking about how bradie was going to call the plays and then there was discussion about who'd have the green dot.

I don't recall any serious talk from the team about sharpton being the starter and having to fend off James.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #143
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
YESSSS! Like when Wolfork took a month to get to the side line a Schaub actually waits until he is off the field? WTF to that?
Only a month? LOL.

BTW, I knows that Keenum did this often.
I saw it in another game awhile ago but don't remember which one.
But if you to the SMU game in 09, you can watch him do it again, this time for a long gain.
Defense can't go to sleep on Keenum or they will pay.

Or go to the Miss. St. Or the Okl St. Games (both in 09) and watch what Keenum did against the blitz.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #144
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37668 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Most of us "screaming for an ILB" understand the fact we're stuck with both Schaub and Kubiak for a while. The ILB position cost us games too, so why not fix what we know the organization would be willing to fix?
Better yet... why not surround Schaub with better tools to hide his deficiencies? Get him some better pass protectors so he doesn't have to scramble and buy more time? Get him some better receivers that can get open and make plays?

Unless, we are conceding that we are defensive-minded team, with a ball-controlled offense. If that's the look you want us to take, then by all means, get ILB help.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #145
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 77507 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
We have a bootleg offense run by a qb who can't run. We have zero deep threats...and a qb who couldn't get that threat the ball anyway. We are an exclusively east/west attack...with holes at rg and rt.

Defensively we run a 3/4 defense without olb's who can get to the qb. We have a nose tackle who is just a role player. After being beat 3+ times in a game the defense refuses to adjust and keeps a lb on a split out rb. Clearly we need more depth at ilb.

I'd be thrilled with just average special teams.

We went from a somewhat disciplined team to more penalty stricken. That's the easiest fix right there...and yes Kubes that one is on you.

For the love of god, can we get someone in the booth with 20/20 vision to help with challenges?

The last few games it sure seems to me that most of Schaubs passes were behind the first down markers, and the defenders were right there to make the tackle. Almost like they knew in advance what play was called.

Texas = not a hard team to scout and prepare for. Seems our halftime adjustments are scouted as well.

Predictable.

Old 01-15-2013   #146
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for the Texans building defense. I said back when Philips was hired. The only way this team wins a superbowl with Kubiak running the show is if Wade can somehow build an elite defense. One like the steel curtain, the 85 bears or the 2000 Ravens. LB has got to be a priority. Cushing will be back but he needs some big time help. CB needs to be addressed and please get a dl in the mold of Seth Payne. I miss that guy. He would have done wonders for this defense.
Old 01-16-2013   #147
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
When bradie was signed herring said he thought bradie would bring just as much to the team as Demeco or something like that. There was much conversation around here about his statements.

I think I even recall wade talking about how bradie was going to call the plays and then there was discussion about who'd have the green dot.

I don't recall any serious talk from the team about sharpton being the starter and having to fend off James.
Bottom line, I think it's important to bring someone in with the capability to replace both of them.

Anyone thinking Bradie James should be starting on any team screwed the pooch. Sharpton's injuries hurt us all year long. Cushing's coming back, but if we have the opportunity to bring in a player to challenge him, it would be in our best interest.

Cushing coming back helps, but it doesn't fix our ILB problems.
Old 01-16-2013   #148
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking the Texans will add another battle red day to the mix . Maybe show the JJ Watt int vs the Bengals in 2012 during the introductions .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #149
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Does Reed have to skill-set to move to ILB? This is one of the big questions of the off season for me. If he does, that makes our ILB group pretty strong. If not, it is a pretty big need come draft day and FA.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #150
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There were several things like this from profootballtalk where it was said that Sharpton and James would compete. I'm not going to go through all the pre-season ht.com stuff, but I'm sure I saw several articles back at that time that mentioned competition between James and Sharpton.

The general consensus HERE was that James was going to get the job but my understanding was that he was going to have to beat out Sharpton for it. Not saying that beating out Sharpton was going to be a major challenge or anything, just that he'd have to.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read