Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2013   #41
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I don't care if Wade was forced on him or not... just that we need to be consistent. If he deserves some blame for the defense's failures, he deserves some credit for their success.
Yeah he deserves credit for staying the hell out of the way when it was going well, and blame for not doing enough when it was going bad.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #42
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Kubiak takes the blame for the entire team....he isn't the Offensive Coordinator - he is the Head Coach. He often acts like he is the OC though. I found it interesting that Mike McCoy (Bronco's OC that was just named new Chargers' Head Coach) said in his presser that he wanted a OC who would call plays on game day because there was too much to do and he felt obligated to oversee everything...and not just stay wrapped in the offense. Personally, I think Kubiak should distance himself from the offense and start cracking the whip on the other units more and not just be an extension of Shaub.
I agree with that, but the problem IMO is that he's not shown to be that kind of coach. His greatest contributions to the team seem to be from an offensive standpoint.

If he's distancing himself from that specific area if the team, what is he going to bring to the table?

Would be interesting to see if he could adapt and how the offense would look without him babysitting it...
Old 01-16-2013   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' LB Brooks Reed: "we weren’t fully prepared"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I heard an interview after the game with Brady and he talked about how they had worked all week on a specific game plan that largely revolved around gronk being in the line up.

He said that once he went out they pretty much had to scrap everything they worked on. So yeah...
I don't believe it.
Gronkowski has been favoring his other arm ever since he came back.

If Belichik prepared a game plan that basically features him, he would a a stupid coach.

The fact of the matter is they have adapted to not having him for a while, and with an absolute pro like Brady at the helm, they can run whatever the heck they want, IMO.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #44
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't believe it.

If Belichik prepared a game plan that basically features him, he would a a stupid coach.

The fact of the matter is they have adapted to not having him for a while, and with an absolute pro like Brady at the helm, they can run whatever the heck they want, IMO.

I think it was the first play, they went right to gronk. Stupid patriots engraving in the defenses mind that they are going to have to cover him.

And I didn't say feature. Neither did Brady. Revolves around means just that.

There's probably a reason they went to gronk so early. So the texans knew he wasn't just out there as a decoy. That they were going to have to cover him which would like open things up for other players. Also, instead of using two their two te's heavily they were just down to Hernandez as a playmaker at that position.

That changes formations you planned on using and everything else.

I have no idea why brady would lie out of nowhere when asked about gronk and say they had to change up their game plan.
Old 01-16-2013   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it was the first play, they went right to gronk. Stupid patriots engraving in the defenses mind that they are going to have to cover him.

And I didn't say feature. Neither did Brady. Revolves around means just that.

There's probably a reason they went to gronk so early. So the texans knew he wasn't just out there as a decoy. That they were going to have to cover him which would like open things up for other players.

I have no idea why brady would lie out of nowhere when asked about gronk and say they had to change up their game plan.
Half truths are never lies.
Old 01-16-2013   #46
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't believe it.

I believe it. You game plan your opponent based on the players you have. Gronk didn't even get any time really until Week 17 but had been practicing and walking through since before that. His only game back he had 2 catches and 42 yards with a TD in a blowout. You don't think they would use him? So he was part of the plan. You script plays usually or at least try and have a plan to feel out your opponent. You don't just lose that guy right away and think.."just hit switch to plan B." You already had game planned for what switch the D might make and Gronk and Woodhead were part of it. They switched on the fly, Starting using packages with Vareen out wide and playing more and went with it.
Old 01-16-2013   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I believe it. You game plan your opponent based on the players you have. Gronk didn't even get any time really until Week 17 but had been practicing and walking through since before that. His only game back he had 2 catches and 42 yards with a TD in a blowout. You don't think they would use him? So he was part of the plan. You script plays usually or at least try and have a plan to feel out your opponent. You don't just lose that guy right away and think.."just hit switch to plan B." You already had game planned for what switch the D might make and Gronk and Woodhead were part of it. They switched on the fly, Starting using packages with Vareen out wide and playing more and went with it.
Have you ever heard of Belichik the Fox being unprepared for any situation?
Old 01-16-2013   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I'm Belichik. I know my guy Gronk could go back to the sideline anytime, but I still build a game plan around him.

Whatever happens, we'll just swing it.

Yeah, sounds just like him.
Old 01-16-2013   #49
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm Belichik. I know my guy Gronk could go back to the sideline anytime, but I still build a game plan around him.

Some people have the ability to go to plan b. You go with Andre Johnson if he can go...then you go to plan b. Why make fun of Belichick when he beats you like a drum with his back ups?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #50
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you ever heard of Belichik the Fox being unprepared for any situation?
It doesn't matter how smart he is, it is how much time you have in a day. They found out they were playing the Texans on a Saturday and have a week to game plan. Mind you, game planning an opponent that you beat recently...so you are adding wrinkles...and you have Gronkowski back..someone they didn't see in the first game. That is what you work on all week. You don't waste your team running a second team offensive scheme in case something goes wrong. You maybe have a few of those plays in your groupings but your packages involve having Gronk...decoy or not..and having Hernandez in different formations off of that. Same with Woodhead. When that plan is scrapped from the word go, you lose scripting and any other package you planned on using all week. Its not like pulling out another card and switching gears because they are running different defenses than you saw the first time too. Harder than you make it seem and completely unexpected.
Old 01-16-2013   #51
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I did have a scream at the TV moment when Brady hurried to the line and the Texan defense was stsggering around. How in the hell could the Texan defense not know this was coming. The pats did it to them the first game too
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Oh I get it...

Belichick is so good he can manipulate time.

He can create multiple game plans during the week for his offense (one with gronk and woodhead, one without gronk with woodhead, one with wood head no gronk, one without both....and let's not get into the possibilities of other people being hurt)

Yeah, that makes sense. Rather than believing he's capable of making on the fly adjustments lets believe he prepares for every single infinite possibility.

Dude is a master at preparing his team, but part of preparing is being ready to make adjustments for the unexpected.

And another hole in your theory is if Belichick knows gronk is in a fragile state he's going to send him out on a long route like that and put him in harms way and risk losing him for even more time when they are in the middle of a play off run?

Yeah....I guess when you think about it all of that is more likely than him just making an on the fly adjustment.
Old 01-16-2013   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
It doesn't matter how smart he is, it is how much time you have in a day. They found out they were playing the Texans on a Saturday and have a week to game plan. Mind you, game planning an opponent that you beat recently...so you are adding wrinkles...and you have Gronkowski back..someone they didn't see in the first game. That is what you work on all week. You don't waste your team running a second team offensive scheme in case something goes wrong. You maybe have a few of those plays in your groupings but your packages involve having Gronk...decoy or not..and having Hernandez in different formations off of that. Same with Woodhead. When that plan is scrapped from the word go, you lose scripting and any other package you planned on using all week. Its not like pulling out another card and switching gears because they are running different defenses than you saw the first time too. Harder than you make it seem and completely unexpected.
Shoot they can run the same play they ran last time and can still beat the Texans.

If you can't get the D call in, how the heck are you going to stop anybody.

Sarcasm aside, their offense is a well-oiled machine, with an old pro running it. It's not hard for them to go from plan A to B to C.
Old 01-16-2013   #54
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't believe it.

Exactly. THIS ^^^.

Having Gronk was an added bonus, a BLOWOUT BONUS if you will.

And without him, they still beat us easily. I am sure that they wanted him to be very involved, just like we would prefer Owen Daniels to be very involved in our offense on game days. But us without our best TE is much worse than the Patriots without their best TE. For obvious reasons.

They were going to use Gronk, but even without him...they weren't like completely unaware of how they would function the rest of the game. They even lost Danny Woodhead early, too. And not much changed. For obvious reasons.
Old 01-16-2013   #55
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article on the Patriots system and the ways it always changes based on the players

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...brady-patriots
Quote:
It's late in the first quarter. A play ends, and seconds later Tom Brady has his team back at the line. He gives a hand signal to his receiver, a tap to his offensive linemen. "Alabama! Alabama!" The ball is snapped. An outlet pass goes to Stevan Ridley, who rumbles to the Houston 40-yard line, another first down. Subs run in. Soon, the Patriots are back at the line. Except now, running back Shane Vereen is lined up out wide. The Texans are scrambling. Brady takes the snap and hits Vereen on a quick hitch. Vereen dips around linebacker Bradie James and then spins back inside, gaining 25 yards before he's done.

The next play is the same play, with the same personnel, with zero time for the defense to recover. The three receivers to Brady's left crisscross around defenders while Aaron Hernandez, who was lined up as a back to Brady's left, dashes to the flat. He makes the catch and takes it to Houston's 1-yard line. The same 11 Patriots sprint to the line, but Vereen is now in the backfield. The play is a run to the left, and he's into the end zone untouched. Touchdown, New England.

Since Tom Brady became the starting quarterback in New England 12 years ago, the Patriots have finished in the top 10 in scoring 11 times, but the way they've gotten there hasn't been nearly as consistent. In Brady's early years, Bill Belichick built his offense not around his quarterback, but rather to support him, with a steady supply of dependable receivers and a physical running game. It was when Brady moved from trusted game manager to outright star that he became the offense's centerpiece, and the need for reliable bolstering was replaced with the pursuit of a cast that could push him even further.

First it was with Wes Welker, Randy Moss, and a pass-happy shotgun spread offense. More recently, with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, the offense became a two–tight end–based attack. With Gronkowski set to miss the rest of the playoffs, and Ridley and Vereen continuing to improve, the Patriots appear to be evolving again, this time relying on two running backs. Throw in three different offensive coordinators — Charlie Weis, Josh McDaniels, and Bill O'Brien — and it seems that the only constant in New England, other than Belichick and Brady, has been change.

But what's allowed New England to maintain its success among the shifts is that its quarterback and coach aren't the only things that have remained the same. The core of the Patriots' offensive system has been threaded through its various stages, both stabilizing the transitions and allowing the next evolution. The design and organization of New England's system is better suited than any other to adapt to an NFL game in which change — of personnel, of trends, of schemes — is the only certainty.

Old 01-16-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oh I get it...

Belichick is so good he can manipulate time.

He can create multiple game plans during the week for his offense (one with gronk and woodhead, one without gronk with woodhead, one with wood head no gronk, one without both....and let's not get into the possibilities of other people being hurt)

Yeah, that makes sense. Rather than believing he's capable of making on the fly adjustments lets believe he prepares for every single infinite possibility.

Dude is a master at preparing his team, but part of preparing is being ready to make adjustments for the unexpected.

And another hole in your theory is if Belichick knows gronk is in a fragile state he's going to send him out on a long route like that and put him in harms way and risk losing him for even more time when they are in the middle of a play off run?

Yeah....I guess when you think about it all of that is more likely than him just making an on the fly adjustment.
You just need to go on the Pats MB to know that Gronk was still very iffy.

The part about him favoring his other arm was not my pulling it out of thin air.

It was a worse situation than Brooks Reed.
Old 01-16-2013   #57
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Shoot they can run the same play they ran last time and can still beat the Texans.

If you can't get the D call in, how the heck are you going to stop anybody.

Sarcasm aside, their offense is a well-oiled machine, with an old pro running it. It's not hard for them to go from plan A to B to C.
Now you're saying something completely different.

I first posted that Brady said they had to scrap the plan they went into the game with and you said you didn't believe it.

Now you're saying it wasn't hard to switch gears.

I dint think it was Gary kubiak Matt schaub hard, but I have no reason to think Brady is lying when he says the game plan changed.

Best analogy I can come up with is like those ncis or secret agent type shows where you have two partners working together...they go to make a bust and bam! Something crazy happens...they look at each other and say "remember Korea" or something like that and they both know what to do...

I didn't say it was hard for them. All I said is what Brady himself said which is they had to "make adjustments".
Old 01-16-2013   #58
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Now you're saying something completely different.

I first posted that Brady said they had to scrap the plan they went into the game with and you said you didn't believe it.

Now you're saying it wasn't hard to switch gears.

I dint think it was Gary kubiak Matt schaub hard, but I have no reason to think Brady is lying when he says the game plan changed.
that's why I try not to engage him...it frustrates me to quickly and I'm too old to fight it.

Old 01-16-2013   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Good article on the Patriots system and the ways it always changes based on the players

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...brady-patriots
I rest my case.
Old 01-16-2013   #60
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

AMAZING!! Brooks Reed nailed everything most of the members of this MB have been preaching all year!! SAD, very sad, that the top dogs in this franchise refuse to recognize something so basic that even a football novice can see it! Why is that? Why is it so difficult to fix something like making in-game adjustments? My "female" assessment is pretty simple! We're dealing with MEN who's ego's are so huge they refuse to back down, even when a better solution is staring them in the face!!

Maybe we need WOMEN in the coaching ranks of the NFL!!

Ok guys!! Have fun blasting that last comment to hell and back!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read