Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2013   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pro Football Focus Grades for HOU FAs

Link for full chart of all HOU FAs

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ouston-texans/

Name Pos.Yrs Rating Snaps
Donnie Jones P 9 +32.8 0
Shayne Graham K 11 +8.8 0
James Casey FB* 4 +7.0 609
Justin Forsett RB 5 +4.6 124
Ryan Harris OT 5 +4.3 416
Glover Quin S 4 +1.1 1046
Keyaron Fox LB 9 0.0 0
Rashad Butler OT 7 0.0 0
Jesse Nading ED 4 -0.6 22
Alan Ball CB 5 -0.8 100
Andrew Gardner OT 3 -1.0 14
Tim Dobbins LB 7 -1.5 395
Quintin Demps S 4 -2.0 354
Bradie James LB 10 -2.2 655
Barrett Ruud LB 8 -2.7 96
Shaun Cody DI 8 -4.0 261
Stanford Routt CB 8 -5.7 411
Antoine Caldwell G 4 -8.1 355
Brice McCain CB 4 -9.0 462
Connor Barwin ED 4 -19.0 1020

ED stands for Edge Defender
DI stands for Interior D-Line
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #2
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pro Football Focus Grades for HOU FAs

I think McCain is a great nickel defender I'm surprised at how low grade is. Just a hunch but I would think most DB's do not grade out high because of what a disadvantage they are at in today's game. Quin grading out positive is pretty impressive.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #3
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I think McCain is a great nickel defender I'm surprised at how low grade is. Just a hunch but I would think most DB's do not grade out high because of what a disadvantage they are at in today's game. Quin grading out positive is pretty impressive.
McCain last year I think was 1 of the top slot CBs. Why he droped this year I dont know.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #4
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin is gone. A lower-tier team will reach for him and hope for the best. If we really do believe in Mercilus then we should go with Mercilus. If we think Barwin is better than he showed this year, then we should pay up. I don't see us paying up.
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin primarily had one big game last year. It really reminds me of the occasional big game Williams had. The consistency is severely lacking. It's not just the overall number of sacks going up or down from 1 year to the next; it's the fact that some players get almost all of them for the year in 1 or 2 games.

He needs to go...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #6
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Barwin was overlooked to be re-signed in September, and his performance declined this season, it's safe to say that he'll be let go.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #7
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Connor finished 14th in the NFL in Tackles for Losses, higher than guys like JPP, Cameron Wake & Tamba Hali.

I agree he had a bad season, and wouldn't mind not seeing him re-signed, but just thought I'd share.

While looking up these rankings, Watt is in the lead of course. But it's amazing he more than doubled the value of the #3 guy. He even had 14 more than #2 Von Miller. Amazing!
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2013   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Connor finished 14th in the NFL in Tackles for Losses, higher than guys like JPP, Cameron Wake & Tamba Hali.

I agree he had a bad season, and wouldn't mind not seeing him re-signed, but just thought I'd share.

While looking up these rankings, Watt is in the lead of course. But it's amazing he more than doubled the value of the #3 guy. He even had 14 more than #2 Von Miller. Amazing!
This is the reason why I'd take barwin as a solb. Solid against the run, but wouldn't be counted on the consistently generate a pass rush. That's be the wolb's job.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #9
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me Connor on the strongside and Move Brooks to ILB. His skill set is much better for ILB then OLB rushing the passer most downs. That would give us 4 LB's with great speed and pass rushing ability...
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Give me Connor on the strongside and Move Brooks to ILB. His skill set is much better for ILB then OLB rushing the passer most downs. That would give us 4 LB's with great speed and pass rushing ability...
My sentiments exactly, with Mercilus at WOLB, Reed and Cushing on the inside, and Barwin at SOLB. Reed adds size and side line to side line speed. We'd need some depth but this would make for an awsome LB corp..
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Lock up Quin. The rest can be used as roster fillers after we scour through other FAs throughout the league.
Old 01-16-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Since Barwin was overlooked to be re-signed in September, and his performance declined this season, it's safe to say that he'll be let go.
Just to clarify, Texans negotiated with Barwin until hitting a "snag" and then moved on to Schaub. Barwin was not overlooked.
Old 01-16-2013   #13
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163364 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring in Rey Maualuga to play inside with Cush. Would pump up Cushing more and would be a great run stuffer inside while Cush stays on for passing down.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Bring in Rey Maualuga to play inside with Cush. Would pump up Cushing more and would be a great run stuffer inside while Cush stays on for passing down.
looks like according to ProFootball focus Rey is the lowest rated UFA available?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is what is do as well as being Ruud back and find a smaller more coverage oriented MLB in case that skillet is needed.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #16
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
I do not understand why they didn't do this. I guess because of 2010 season where they tried Cushing in Demeco's spot and it was a mess...

I think Reed and Cushing would be great ILBs, Mercilus and whom ever, hell sign Barwin to a 1 year deal and see if he can come back from this horrible season. Now you have all 4 of your better play makers in the game and build depth around them...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #17
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just to clarify, Texans negotiated with Barwin until hitting a "snag" and then moved on to Schaub. Barwin was not overlooked.
my understanding the "snag" was Barwin turned down a 4 or 6 year deal because he was betting on himself to have another stellar year and wanted to test the market and it backfired on him...

Old 01-16-2013   #18
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Maualuga has been constantly hurt or "nicked" as Kubiak would say the last couple of years. He was on and off the field allot this season...

I would be interested in seeing what Keith Rivers or Chase Blackburn (NYG) would cost to bring in at LB or even Gary Guyton...

Old 01-16-2013   #19
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't surprise me. Course I keep up with PFF but even the eye test told me McCain was horrible this year. He was great in 2011 but for whatever reason looked like crap this season.

I wasn't up for the idea of moving Brooks inside during the season. Too much of a jump too quickly. But now that we're in the offseason I could see them possibly making the move. His pass rush was rather non-existent but he remained good against the run and in coverage. But it really could be a bit too soon to write him off when it comes to the edge. Only been two years with one good, and one....ehhhh.

Barwin I would take back at a comfortable contract for someone battling for a starting spot. He shouldn't be given starter's money unless he can beat out Reed, Mercilus and whoever we may bring. But he could be great depth and if he wakes up maybe a better rusher....maybe.

I would rather they go ahead and bring Quin back and get someone for Demps' spot. He got worse as the year went and Keo....no....just no.

Oh and regarding Rey M.....isn't that the guy we picked on in pass coverage? I think we need someone more versatile inside beside Cushing. Someone capable of being a run stuffer and drop back. We have enough guys who can't cover when necessary.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Maualuga has been constantly hurt or "nicked" as Kubiak would say the last couple of years. He was on and off the field allot this season...

I would be interested in seeing what Keith Rivers or Chase Blackburn (NYG) would cost to bring in at LB or even Gary Guyton...
A reporter for the Bengals said Malualuga was the worst starting ILB in the NFL .

The Texans team speed needs to be upgraded bigtime . Keo is a 4.7 safety and somehow he gets down the field before most on STs . On offense I think Kubiak thinks execution is the key over speed .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read