Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
However many of them there are, Maualuga isn't one of them. OD & Arian had career days against him.

I liked Maualuga coming out of USC, he's the one I wanted at the time. But right now, sorry... don't see him as an upgrade over Dobbins much less Sharpton & he's definitely no replacement for DeMeco.

Sorry, just not seeing it.

We need to upgrade the talent, we need to get more athletic at the position, we need someone who is "great" in coverage.. Cushing is not. He's pretty good, but not "great"

We need a bigger Glover Quin for our next ILB.
He wouldn't be asked to do that here is the point.

And you are dreaming if you think you are going to find a MLB with the coverage skills if a safety to play in this defense.


If Cushing is healthy he's not coming off the field on passing downs. He's the coverage lb and he's actually pretty good at it.

The texans are going to get a guy to be the thumper in this defense and allow Cushing to be the playmaker. That's exactly why they let Demeco go and why he was seeing the field less and less here.

Mauluga fits what we need. Veteran, intense, hard hitting and won't be asked to make a bunch of plays against players he has no business guarding.

Mauluga would be a great fit next to Cushing in this 34. In the 43 he was asked to do more than he should have.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #22
Insideop
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the "Control Room"
Age: 59
Posts: 1,719
Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
However many of them there are, Maualuga isn't one of them. OD & Arian had career days against him.

I liked Maualuga coming out of USC, he's the one I wanted at the time. But right now, sorry... don't see him as an upgrade over Dobbins much less Sharpton & he's definitely no replacement for DeMeco.

Sorry, just not seeing it.

We need to upgrade the talent, we need to get more athletic at the position, we need someone who is "great" in coverage.. Cushing is not. He's pretty good, but not "great"

We need a bigger Glover Quin for our next ILB.
How about Minter or Ogletree in the 1st? I know most probably don't want to use the 1st pick on an ILB but to me it's a big weakness on this team that needs to be addressed early. Are either one of them athletic enough for coverage?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #23
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,097
Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
How about Minter or Ogletree in the 1st? I know most probably don't want to use the 1st pick on an ILB but to me it's a big weakness on this team that needs to be addressed early. Are either one of them athletic enough for coverage?
Im not sure I would use our first on Minter. Ii wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't do it. Ogletree? hell yeh!!! That's if the interview checked out. He has some off field issues that need to be discussed. If that checked out I would love him. He is the best ILB in this draft. Yes even better than Teo.
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #24
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,310
Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Im not sure I would use our first on Minter. Ii wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't do it. Ogletree? hell yeh!!! That's if the interview checked out. He has some off field issues that need to be discussed. If that checked out I would love him. He is the best ILB in this draft. Yes even better than Teo.
Ogletree wouldn't be my first selection in the 1st round either but I wouldn't be mad with it either. IF, yes big IF, we picked Ogletree in the 1st I'd take that as a sign we might not re-sign Cushing when he becomes a FA. With his PED and injury history I'd be cautious re-signing Cushing. They could work well together for a yr. or 2 but Ogletree could very well be Cushings replacement.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,360
Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Ogletree wouldn't be my first selection in the 1st round either but I wouldn't be mad with it either. IF, yes big IF, we picked Ogletree in the 1st I'd take that as a sign we might not re-sign Cushing when he becomes a FA. With his PED and injury history I'd be cautious re-signing Cushing. They could work well together for a yr. or 2 but Ogletree could very well be Cushings replacement.
If this happened I would have to leave the room
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #26
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,686
Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
[/b]
Seriously? Their stupid defensive coordinator? They have one of the best defenses in the NFL. the reason we don't ask our guys to do that is be wise none of them can. Don't you think wade would if he could?
My thinking exactly. Its part and parcel why the patriots ate us alive...

Leave both of our sub par lb's in...put 1 of em in coverage & exploit em

take a lb out in favor of a cb...run it down our throats.

& that's just when the patriots weren't running uptempo and catching us switching out players trying to match up.

Getting Cush back alleviates some of this, but getting a guy next to him that can be good in coverage at the lb spot would be huge.

It's 1 of the reasons SF is so good on defense although Willis does come out at times on 3rd downs depending on the matchup. Otherwise, he and Bowman are on the field controlling the middle of the field every single down for SF.

Lol at the...Mauluga suggestion...coverage was a big knock on him coming out and it's still a big knock on him 3 years later.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
[/b]
Seriously? Their stupid defensive coordinator? They have one of the best defenses in the NFL. the reason we don't ask our guys to do that is be wise none of them can. Don't you think wade would if he could?
We do ask our guys to guard rb's and te's but we generally give Thosr guys dome help.

Of course you do have the occasional case where they don't get help like against the pats.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #28
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,686
Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
We do ask our guys to guard rb's and te's but we generally give Thosr guys dome help.

Of course you do have the occasional case where they don't get help like against the pats.
Good coaches and qbs will make sure that this is the case more often than not.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #29
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
My thinking exactly. Its part and parcel why the patriots ate us alive...

Leave both of our sub par lb's in...put 1 of em in coverage & exploit em

take a lb out in favor of a cb...run it down our throats.

& that's just when the patriots weren't running uptempo and catching us switching out players trying to match up.

Getting Cush back alleviates some of this, but getting a guy next to him that can be good in coverage at the lb spot would be huge.

It's 1 of the reasons SF is so good on defense although Willis does come out at times on 3rd downs depending on the matchup. Otherwise, he and Bowman are on the field controlling the middle of the field every single down for SF.

Lol at the...Mauluga suggestion...coverage was a big knock on him coming out and it's still a big knock on him 3 years later.
Wrong again as usual.

We don't take out a lb in favor of a corner. We take out a lb in favor of a safety.

And we arent just throwing stuff against the wall hoping it sticks. We pick defenses based on the personnel we are facing. The only thing wade does consistently as a wrinkle is use gq in that joker position.

When offenses come out in a base or two tight formation you're going to have lb's on rb's and te's. That's inevitable. But the difference is how you ask those guys to cover.

Mauluga in a 43 means he's the only guy in the middle of the field. The safeties are playing two deep and Mauluga is asked to cover a large area ALL the time. There is Bo escaping that in the defense he played in.

Here in a 34 we don't ask our guys to do that too often.

That's why you find guys with talent and ask then to do things they are capable of and not having then do things they suck at.

If you can find another Cushing or a player close to Cushing, great. But we are talking about someone that would ideally be a two down player. Someone whose most important job is stopping the run. Will there be matchups that's not good for him? Sure. That's when you play him less.

And bowman and Willis are both all pro's and are super athletic. If you can find a guy like bowman, great. I'm all for that. We should definitely look for a good lb with athleticism in the draft.

But in the meantime it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign a good player that can successfully fill a niche on the team.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #30
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Good coaches and qbs will make sure that this is the case more often than not.


The offense can't dictate our coverage. They can only exploit it when it's available.

We didn't have to run Ruud out there on that rb. It just happened that they caught us in the right coverage and took advantage. We could have audible to a zone or put a safety on him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #31
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,686
Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Wrong again as usual.

We don't take out a lb in favor of a corner. We take out a lb in favor of a safety.

And we arent just throwing stuff against the wall hoping it sticks. We pick defenses based on the personnel we are facing. The only thing wade does consistently as a wrinkle is use gq in that joker position.

When offenses come out in a base or two tight formation you're going to have lb's on rb's and te's. That's inevitable. But the difference is how you ask those guys to cover.

Mauluga in a 43 means he's the only guy in the middle of the field. The safeties are playing two deep and Mauluga is asked to cover a large area ALL the time. There is Bo escaping that in the defense he played in.

Here in a 34 we don't ask our guys to do that too often.

That's why you find guys with talent and ask then to do things they are capable of and not having then do things they suck at.

If you can find another Cushing or a player close to Cushing, great. But we are talking about someone that would ideally be a two down player. Someone whose most important job is stopping the run. Will there be matchups that's not good for him? Sure. That's when you play him less.

And bowman and Willis are both all pro's and are super athletic. If you can find a guy like bowman, great. I'm all for that. We should definitely look for a good lb with athleticism in the draft.

But in the meantime it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign a good player that can successfully fill a niche on the team.

don't you understand that the reason we don't ask our guys to cover like that is b/c wade knows his lb's can't do it? Your rationale is exactly why the defense has been getting exposed...finding "niche" guys.


& Lol, cb, safety what does it matter? it's a smaller db that can't cover a big athletic TE.....you seen how well that worked out for us. You seen how many times Aaron Hernandez just ran straight over Quinn. In that regard it doesn't matter what smoke & mirrors wade tries to use to mask his personnel deficiencies, Great scheming and coaching eventually exposes it. Bringing in another LB like Mauluga that's sub par in coverage isn't going to change that regardless of "how" wade "asks" him to do or cover..he sucks in coverage period. So play him less & then we're back to square 1 above with Quinn getting TD passes caught on him by Mercedes freaking Lewis..hell, Mauluga's not even that good against the run. Like i said, coverage was a knock on him coming out and it's still a knock on him 4 years into his career.

The better way to go would be just to get a LB in here who can actually cover someone and get a fat NT in front of him to mask any of his run deficiencies and leave the safeties up top...

try again.....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #32
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,686
Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The offense can't dictate our coverage. They can only exploit it when it's available.

We didn't have to run Ruud out there on that rb. It just happened that they caught us in the right coverage and took advantage. We could have audible to a zone or put a safety on him.
They can if they gash us enough...or big enough...unless you're into that whole we do what we do regardless of the outcome thing....by the way have you seen us in zone?

Sorry...us putting an LB out there...or us attempting to happened way too many times in both games for it to be something that just happened to happen.


"Bradie James can't cover, so lets get him out there on Hernandez.."
"Brooks Reed's athletic, so lets test how athletic his in coverage.."
"Barrett Ruud's Ok in coverage, so lets split him out wide and see how well he does.."
"They're putting a db on Hernandez, he's too small lets get him the ball"

They knew that we couldn't match up with them no matter who we attempted to put out there b/c they knew our personnel as well as we did and it all goes back to having all these 1-sided type guys on the field.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 11,882
Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Wrong again as usual.

We don't take out a lb in favor of a corner. We take out a lb in favor of a safety.

And we arent just throwing stuff against the wall hoping it sticks. We pick defenses based on the personnel we are facing. The only thing wade does consistently as a wrinkle is use gq in that joker position.

When offenses come out in a base or two tight formation you're going to have lb's on rb's and te's. That's inevitable. But the difference is how you ask those guys to cover.

Mauluga in a 43 means he's the only guy in the middle of the field. The safeties are playing two deep and Mauluga is asked to cover a large area ALL the time. There is Bo escaping that in the defense he played in.

Here in a 34 we don't ask our guys to do that too often.

That's why you find guys with talent and ask then to do things they are capable of and not having then do things they suck at.

If you can find another Cushing or a player close to Cushing, great. But we are talking about someone that would ideally be a two down player. Someone whose most important job is stopping the run. Will there be matchups that's not good for him? Sure. That's when you play him less.

And bowman and Willis are both all pro's and are super athletic. If you can find a guy like bowman, great. I'm all for that. We should definitely look for a good lb with athleticism in the draft.

But in the meantime it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign a good player that can successfully fill a niche on the team.
Yep,

I thought Ruud did a great job this yr, for a man that just came off the street. I've got all LB positions as a big need. But since the way offenses are being run today (60% nickle) if I could choose one thing to instantly improve the defense, it would be to re-sign Quin and draft an impact S as an upgrade over the thoughly unimpressive Demps/Keo.

The offense needs to be fixed 1st though. Not enough playmakers and offense that's keeps the defense off the field would make a bigger impact for the defense than drafting a LB' in the 1-2 rd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,888
Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Mauluga fits what we need. Veteran, intense, hard hitting and won't be asked to make a bunch of plays against players he has no business guarding.

Mauluga would be a great fit next to Cushing in this 34. In the 43 he was asked to do more than he should have.
I see your point. But, they replaced Demeco with Sharpton/James.... I don't think they were going after "thumper"

The way you explained him next to Cushing, makes complete sense, coming out on passing downs, makes complete sense.... what we ended up with & doing... not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
We do ask our guys to guard rb's and te's but we generally give Thosr guys dome help.

Of course you do have the occasional case where they don't get help like against the pats.
While Vareen did make that catch for a TD, there was another occasion Ruud was able to get him to the sideline & out of bounds. I thought he was going to do the same thing on the TD play, but Vareen started further from the sideline.... great in game adjustment.
__________________
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,888
Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
They can if they gash us enough...or big enough...unless you're into that whole we do what we do regardless of the outcome thing....by the way have you seen us in zone?

Sorry...us putting an LB out there...or us attempting to happened way too many times in both games for it to be something that just happened to happen.


"Bradie James can't cover, so lets get him out there on Hernandez.."
"Brooks Reed's athletic, so lets test how athletic his in coverage.."
"Barrett Ruud's Ok in coverage, so lets split him out wide and see how well he does.."
"They're putting a db on Hernandez, he's too small lets get him the ball"

They knew that we couldn't match up with them no matter who we attempted to put out there b/c they knew our personnel as well as we did and it all goes back to having all these 1-sided type guys on the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
don't you understand that the reason we don't ask our guys to cover like that is b/c wade knows his lb's can't do it? Your rationale is exactly why the defense has been getting exposed...finding "niche" guys.


& Lol, cb, safety what does it matter? it's a smaller db that can't cover a big athletic TE.....you seen how well that worked out for us. You seen how many times Aaron Hernandez just ran straight over Quinn. In that regard it doesn't matter what smoke & mirrors wade tries to use to mask his personnel deficiencies, Great scheming and coaching eventually exposes it. Bringing in another LB like Mauluga that's sub par in coverage isn't going to change that regardless of "how" wade "asks" him to do or cover..he sucks in coverage period. So play him less & then we're back to square 1 above with Quinn getting TD passes caught on him by Mercedes freaking Lewis..hell, Mauluga's not even that good against the run. Like i said, coverage was a knock on him coming out and it's still a knock on him 4 years into his career.

The better way to go would be just to get a LB in here who can actually cover someone and get a fat NT in front of him to mask any of his run deficiencies and leave the safeties up top...

try again.....
1st, Glover Quin is a bad ass. Mercedes Lewis may catch a TD pass on him, but it isn't going to be very often.

2nd, defense is about guessing. We guess right most of the time & close enough the others.... except what happened against the Patriots. But the way we're built, I can see us going after a guy to stop the run. We've got good corners on the ends, Jjo & Kj I'd match them up against any Receiver tandem one on one. Allowing the Safeties, LBs, & Nickel to work out some kind of coverage in the middle.

Problem was, they ran over GQ & didn't get called but for one of them. GQ has a right to any spot on the field that he gets to first. Second, they ran a lot of crossing patterns which leads to confusion when you're playing man, or naturally open receivers, depending on how you play it. They also picked off defenders with those crossing patterns, some obvious, some not so obvious, but we got away with a few as well, so I won't complain too much.

Now shifting that RB out wide kinda screws up that Safety, LB, Nickel concept in the middle. It put a LB on an island with a RB. But, a RB is not usually a mismatch for a LB as it's part of that LBs job, covering RBs. Every now & then you get a freaky RB that is a mismatch.... I don't think Vareen is a freaky mismatch. I saw two instances with Ruud on him, the first time, Ruud did an excellent job, the second, not so much..... but that's the way things go.

I don't think it was a problem that we were playing man so much, I think the problem was how we played man.

I don't agree that Maualuga should be brought here..... I think we can do better.
__________________
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger