Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2013   #21
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prioritizing our off season needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
New GM, new HC. We need a new strategy. Giving these guys another turn at finding assets for both sides of the ball will hurt us more than help us.

However, McNair is going to expect another big year out of the Marketing department.
I disagree whole heartedly.

Smith has done a pretty solid job in both FA and the draft.

Kubiak has made Matt Schaub into a multi Pro Bowler. We're talking about a guy I could out run and my little sister (We're both on the wrong side of 40) could out throw making multiple Pro Bowls.

You take a look at one of the "uncharacteristic throws" Gary asked Schaub to make Vs the Pats resulting in an INT .... and I think you understand.
Give the guy a real talent at the position .... and let him go to work.

After HWWNBM was vanquished .... The noodle armed statue was the best available option (Really , what else was out there) and prior to the lisfranc he was more than capable of leading this team to a Superbowl. Post lisfranc .... I dont believe that to be the case.

Timing in sports plays a big part in success .... Jesus look no farther than the Dolts falling into Luck for confirmation.

If I had one complaint , it would be that Smith extended him prematurely. The saving grace is that the contract isnt so horrible that they cant un-hitch the cart at the half way point - which is after next season.

Hopefully Schaub's health will improve over the offseason and we get the same guy we saw prior to that injury. If not , he'll be out the door after next season.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #22
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I disagree whole heartedly.

Smith has done a pretty solid job in both FA and the draft.

Kubiak has made Matt Schaub into a multi Pro Bowler. We're talking about a guy I could out run and my little sister (We're both on the wrong side of 40) could out throw making multiple Pro Bowls.

You take a look at one of the "uncharacteristic throws" Gary asked Schaub to make Vs the Pats resulting in an INT .... and I think you understand.
Give the guy a real talent at the position .... and let him go to work.

After HWWNBM was vanquished .... The noodle armed statue was the best available option (Really , what else was out there) and prior to the lisfranc he was more than capable of leading this team to a Superbowl. Post lisfranc .... I dont believe that to be the case.

Timing in sports plays a big part in success .... Jesus look no farther than the Dolts falling into Luck for confirmation.

If I had one complaint , it would be that Smith extended him prematurely. The saving grace is that the contract isnt so horrible that they cant un-hitch the cart at the half way point - which is after next season.

Hopefully Schaub's health will improve over the offseason and we get the same guy we saw prior to that injury. If not , he'll be out the door after next season.
Schaub has been with Kubiak for six years. He or the offense is not getting better.

Does this front office and HC give you hope after seven years? Hoping is not gotten this organization anywhere, and I feel that is what is duct taping this feel good organization together.

Hit the KPIs and everyone is safe!
Old 01-15-2013   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub has been with Kubiak for six years. He or the offense is not getting better.

Does this front office and HC give you hope after seven years? Hoping is not gotten this organization anywhere, and I feel that is what is duct taping this feel good organization together.

The question was asked in another thread " do you think Schaub and Gary can lead us to a superbowl"

I answer with this - Prior to the lisfranc , I think they could as a pair. After the lisfranc , I dont believe Schaub can fulfill his end of the deal. I do however believe Gary can ....

I would much prefer to replace Schaub and see what Gary can do with a player of equal or greater talent at the position.

Its hard to dismiss what he's done with Schaub dispite his limitations.

They arent joined at the hip .... we can be rid of one and retain the other.

Old 01-15-2013   #24
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Corrosion;2109759]The question was asked in another thread " do you think Schaub and Gary can lead us to a superbowl"

I answer with this - Prior to the lisfranc , I think they could as a pair. After the lisfranc , I dont believe Schaub can fulfill his end of the deal. I do however believe Gary can ....

I would much prefer to replace Schaub and see what Gary can do with a player of equal or greater talent at the position.

Its hard to dismiss what he's done with Schaub dispite his limitations.

They arent joined at the hip .... we can be rid of one and retain the other.[/QUOTE]

If Gary's dismissed from here, The new coach is going to want "his" guy and depending on what happened with team the year prior and the incoming coaches feelings towards schaub to begin with i'd think it'd be highly unlikely that Schaub is here for more than a year after.

This is why my vitriol towards this team is directed at Kubiak and not Schaub.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #25
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

ILB, get cush his own navarro bowman, ball hawk safety, bring back GQ...
Old 01-15-2013   #26
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we don't draft or sign another quality WR this offense will never grow.
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #27
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
If Gary's dismissed from here, The new coach is going to want "his" guy and depending on what happened with team the year prior and the incoming coaches feelings towards schaub to begin with i'd think it'd be highly unlikely that Schaub is here for more than a year after.

This is why my vitriol towards this team is directed at Kubiak and not Schaub.
This post makes no sense .....

So you are saying that .... Schaub would be gone under a new regime, if thats the case then its obvious who the problems lie with ..... how can you direct your vitrol at Kubiak , a guy who has done more with less.

Cut bait with Schaub .... Give Gary a quality prospect at QB to work with.

Did you not watch the Pats run screens and draws on 2nd / 3rd and long on Sunday ... Sure , blame the play calling.

Nucking futs

Old 01-15-2013   #28
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

1. need to fire joe marciano.

2. need to start scouting and planning for franchise level qb.

3. need to find kicker.

4. need to find a punter.

5. need to find future #1 wr. dre aint getting any younger.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #29
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
If we don't draft or sign another quality WR this offense will never grow.
Really? Who is going to throw him the ball? Not to mention this offense already has Foster, OD and Johnson as primary targets. Thats three solid recieving options for Schaub at any point in the game.

It is not a huge priority for us to get a #2 wideout right now. I HATE that argument. This is a run first team and will be as long as Foster and Kubiak are here.
Old 01-17-2013   #30
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In those 6 years, though, there have been some borderline GREAT offenses. The problem has been we've never been able to pair a great offense with a great defense, one side has always been lacking (except for the end of this season, where both were lacking).

I agree the offense has been around that we've seen all it has to offer. But 3-4 years ago, it was pretty darn good.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #31
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Really? Who is going to throw him the ball? Not to mention this offense already has Foster, OD and Johnson as primary targets. Thats three solid recieving options for Schaub at any point in the game.

It is not a huge priority for us to get a #2 wideout right now. I HATE that argument. This is a run first team and will be as long as Foster and Kubiak are here.
This passing game has one playmaker,(#80) everyone else is basically a possession receiver. My feeling is, if your QB isn't a playmaker then you better have alot of playmakers around him.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #32
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Yes! So they can waste their careers playing with someone who cant get them the ball ...
With that logic we should have traded Andre long ago, because with Schaub at QB he's been irrelevant to the offense. Right? I really don't care about their "careers", if they make our offense better sign em up.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub's contract wouldnt be too tough a pill to swallow after next offseason should the team decide to part ways.

I think we are stuck with him for at least one more year tho.
If Schaub let go after 2013 his prorated bonus is moved up to our 2014 cap and is $3.5 m X 3 remaining contract years= $10.5m. His base for 2014 $10 m + $3.5 m for cap. There is another millon or so in game roster bonus also.
Old 01-17-2013   #34
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like nobody who posted will agree with my assessment.

I'm making OL my top priority. It is abundantly clear that Matt Schaub is incapable of making plays when he's "off schedule".
He is not a guy who can create plays, or throw receivers open. He has shown, however, that he can be an above average quarterback, so my priority is to set him up for success as much as possible.
Considering his new contract, Schaub will be the starting QB for the next two years, I'd say. We are stuck with him, regardless of how many people want Kubiak to show him the door.
I say fix the running game, and fix Matt Schaub by making RT priority #1, and then looking for upgrades at other OL spots on a BPA basis.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post

I'm making OL my top priority. It is abundantly clear that Matt Schaub is incapable of making plays when he's "off schedule".
He is not a guy who can create plays, or throw receivers open. He has shown, however, that he can be an above average quarterback, so my priority is to set him up for success as much as possible.
Considering his new contract, Schaub will be the starting QB for the next two years, I'd say. We are stuck with him, regardless of how many people want Kubiak to show him the door.
I say fix the running game, and fix Matt Schaub by making RT priority #1, and then looking for upgrades at other OL spots on a BPA basis.
I wouldn't mind us taking a RT in the first, but I also wouldn't mind if we go BPA taking into account some other positions as well.

It doensn't have to be in any order; for example, if there's an excellent playmaker at the receiver position, we can grab him first.

What's your suggestion at RT?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #36
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post

I have a high priority on fixing the OL as well .... in my last mock I had the Texans taking an OT with their second pick.

Old 01-17-2013   #37
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 3622 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya know, I have this feeling that the OL will must more improved next season. I do not feel comfortable sticking another rookie on that line again at this.point. Look, it took D Brown and Myers who was a late round I remind a bit to get going. I remember folks calling D Brown a bust and Myers a joke. I think the right side will be better with a season under their belt.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
corytx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #38
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

What is the point of drafting another receiver when Schaub can't even hit the aging one we have in stride.

My thoughts would be to start TJ Yates and let him play the entire season, draft a hard hitting full back late in the draft because foster looked better behind Leach/Vickers than he does now with our fake-ass FB/TE. Maybe start looking at TE's because lord knows that GG was a huge step down from Dreeson who we let slide to Denver unfortunately. As for the draft I dunno.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #39
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have a high priority on fixing the OL as well .... in my last mock I had the Texans taking an OT with their second pick.
I was reading about the East-West practice and everybody seems to be impressed with this kid from Arkansas Pine Bluff named Terron Armstead.

I watched some cutups of his game and he was simply dominating at the lower level. Guys were falling all over the place for him it's not even funny.

Athletic, quick feet, strong... Wonder if be makes it to the combine.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #40
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i think our needs are on offensive thats the nature of this leauge now IMO

is posey going to come back wk 1 rdy to go 100 % thats the question if thats the case then in the FO minds is we wont draft a WR high

i think the highest piroity on O is Guard and RT

when need to upgrade Newton with a beast RT and drop him down has depth

im worried a guard this season might get hurt alla Wade smith and thus having a good guard depth has backup would be nice but right now our guard corp is fine so

i think we need a True FB

and we are still looking for that true #2 but thats at the bottom of the list IMO

TBO i think our ST depth players is a higher piritoy we need a Sick ass Punter and good blockers
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read