Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2013   #141
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Fiddling around with semantics is fun. But I recommend you get rid of the fiddle and upgrade to a stradivarius.
One or the other is true, has to be.

Either Schaub is good enough to win 12 games, the division, & a play off game

Or Kubiak's a genius. If you don't think Kubiak is a genius, then it doesn't make sense to give up on Schaub.

I don't think Kubiak is a genius.
Old 01-15-2013   #142
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Just occurred to me to quickly look at regular season wins against playoff teams. Looked it up by QB but it could be listed as team/coach/QB:

Wins and losses v. playoff teams.

Andrew Luck 3 and 2
Tom Brady 3 and 3
Aaron Rodgers 2 and 4
Peyton Manning 1 and 3
Joe Flacco 1 and 3
Matt Schaub 3 and 3

So shocker - good teams have difficulty playing each other.
Old 01-15-2013   #143
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Just occurred to me to quickly look at regular season wins against playoff teams. Looked it up by QB but it could be listed as team/coach/QB:

Andrew Luck 3 and 2
Tom Brady 3 and 3
Aaron Rodgers 2 and 4
Peyton Manning 1 and 3
Joe Flacco 1 and 3
Matt Schaub 3 and 3

The Texans lost their last three against playoff teams in the last four games. The end of year slide for two consecutive years is a major concern. Is it tactical, is it a breakdown in leadership, is it something the staff can fix?
Old 01-15-2013   #144
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Andrew Luck 3 and 2
Tom Brady 3 and 3
Aaron Rodgers 2 and 4
Peyton Manning 1 and 3
Joe Flacco 1 and 3
Matt Schaub 3 and 3

Same record as Tom Brady. Better record than Rodgers and Manning. HE IS ELITE!
Old 01-15-2013   #145
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was not a platoon player. Moreover, he had the profile and legacy of a game manager. If Griese were available in the draft next year, I would have no doubt we would draft him.

Nagging injuries for Griese, and Kubiak/Smith did not see it coming with Schaub?
Forget about the platoon part; We don't even know who was responsible for drafting Griese. What we know is that whatever little he had success with was with the Broncos.

Schaub is a different player now as opposed to the one who first came here; he doesn't hold onto the ball too long anymore; he doesn't have that long winded motion anymore.

Rosenfels went somewhere and did a little something.

But back to the adaptation part (which I was never engaged in to start with), some 3-4 years ago, I suggested on this very board that I hope Kubiak befriends Art Briles, and that them two can have shop talk about the game of football.

All for the single reason that Briles was willing to try a lot of different things.
(I don't think people take to that idea back then, what can I say?)
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #146
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last question, what other instances in your life did you need to wait eight years, to make a call on ditching or keeping an asset, of which you have been front and center as an observer.

Makes me ponder why do we allow our best practices, gut checks and scaling calls, learned from professional and personal experiences, be trumped by football fanaticism in our collective dialogue.
Yeah I have. For example (and this goes back to how much control people have as well) I had a very long discussion over drinks with the owner of the firm. He said we were two of the only three lawyers at the firm he would have go to trial or argue an appellate case. We then discussed many of the rest of the firm and I recommended replacing several - in the end he did not.

From the football world, Tom Landry who was a tremendous innovator and football genius didn't have a winning season until his 7th season. I would have hated to have seen him fired in that 8th off-season cutting off what was about to be 20 straight years of winning with 18 playoff appearances.

Quote:
The Texans lost their last three against playoff teams in the last four games. The end of year slide for two consecutive years is a major concern. Is it tactical, is it a breakdown in leadership, is it something the staff can fix?
I seriously doubt it was tactical. Last year there was a QB issue. I have seen nothing to indicate a breakdown in leadership. I don't know the reason for the slide other than as you mention it was a stiff part of the schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
I made no such claim. I hate such foolish responses. If I had picked out mediocre QBs you would have said "see you are only comparing him to game managers" or some other way to dismiss reality.

Last edited by infantrycak; 01-17-2013 at 11:13 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #147
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yatesu

And something else I remember.
Quite a few people was diminishing the idea of Art Briles doing something at Baylor, taking his gimmick offense from UH to the Big 12.

I know a lot of those people that cheer for RG III now.

And how about Sumlin who bypassed the Big 12 to go straight to the SEC.
Now Johnny Football is all the rage.

You see, Sumlin could have used Keenum the same way when he first got to UH, but he didn't.
He saw that Keenum is at his best making other players look better, and that's by distributing the football.

I think all coaches know that, and so they work out certain "philosophy" to best suit some of the key players on the team.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #148
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think the two years compare well. In 2011 you had an injury to the starting QB and the backup QB that thrust a 5th round draft pick into the mix. The offense went conservative while trying to get as much into Yates head as possible in the time available. In 2012 we collapsed down the stretch with most of the offense apparently healthy.

The two collapses don't look very much alike to me.
Old 01-15-2013   #149
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
The team is elite. He is a great 15 yd. passer and a terrible 30+ yd. passer (with ZERO mobility).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #150
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I don't think the two years compare well. In 2011 you had an injury to the starting QB and the backup QB that thrust a 5th round draft pick into the mix. The offense went conservative while trying to get as much into Yates head as possible in the time available. In 2012 we collapsed down the stretch with most of the offense apparently healthy.

The two collapses don't look very much alike to me.
Before each respective slide there was a seven and six game winning streak respectively. Back to back years, where did the team's onions go in 2011, and how does that happen the following year with so much on the line? It boggles my mind.
Old 01-15-2013   #151
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If I wasn't making a good-tasting steak for 6 or 7 years.........

....I'd probably change what type of spice rub I used, and I might even re-consider my grill and if I need to do something different there.

I wouldn't keep tossing a bland, unappetizing steak onto my dinner table.

But we all know people who do JUST that. People who suck at grilling, but they are legends in their own minds. I fear we have a head coach who thinks he's an awesome head coach. And his family, God love them, they just pat dad on the shoulder and say "Thanks for the steak, dad!"

Then one day the kids grow up, eat at their friends' house, and they sit there stunned. "How did you DO this? It's. Amazing...." And it dawns on them, "My dad's grill skills suuuuck."
Old 01-16-2013   #152
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If I wasn't making a good-tasting steak for 6 or 7 years.........

Are you telling me you haven't had fun over the last 6 or 7 years? You haven't enjoyed yourself once after winning the division the last two years running?

You didn't crack a smile after winning our first two play off games?

This steak may not be among the best in the world, but it's far from bland & tasteless.
Old 01-16-2013   #153
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Are you telling me you haven't had fun over the last 6 or 7 years? You haven't enjoyed yourself once after winning the division the last two years running?

You didn't crack a smile after winning our first two play off games?

This steak may not be among the best in the world, but it's far from bland & tasteless.
I smiled after clinching the division the first time and winning that playoff game. I smiled again this year after winning the division again. The playoff game against Cincy this year though, there was no smiling. The team should not even have been in that situation in the first place. I would have smiled had they beaten New England though. Yates would have given us the better chance. He wouldn't have thrown the ball away three times after evading the rush. I doubt he would have fumbled the ball after evading the rush, with no one around him, because he was so nervous.

There needs to be a change at QB, but there won't be. Status quo lives on.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #154
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I smiled after clinching the division the first time and winning that playoff game. I smiled again this year after winning the division again. The playoff game against Cincy this year though, there was no smiling. The team should not even have been in that situation in the first place. I would have smiled had they beaten New England though. Yates would have given us the better chance. He wouldn't have thrown the ball away three times after evading the rush. I doubt he would have fumbled the ball after evading the rush, with no one around him, because he was so nervous.

There needs to be a change at QB, but there won't be. Status quo lives on.
There is zero you have to back up that claim. He may not have thrown the the ball away 3 times after evading the rush.....but he may have thrown a pick after evading that rush, which he showed a propensity to do in last year's game against the Ravens. Last year at around this time everyone was saying that we would've won that game if we had Schaub... You guys are just grasping at straws at this point.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #155
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
There is zero you have to back up that claim. He may not have thrown the the ball away 3 times after evading the rush.....but he may have thrown a pick after evading that rush, which he showed a propensity to do in last year's game against the Ravens. Last year at around this time everyone was saying that we would've won that game if we had Schaub... You guys are just grasping at straws at this point.
There is zero evidence saying you could disprove that claim. And last year he was a rookie. Schaub is a nine year vet, yet he still can't tell the he evaded the rush, has no one within seven yards of him, and can make the throw downfield. You almost felt sorry for Schaub watching him last Sunday. He just can't do it. He's a backup. And some people were saying we would have won it with Schaub. After seeing Schaub now, in multiple games where the bright lights were on him, it is clear he can't deliver.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #156
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is zero evidence saying you could disprove that claim. And last year he was a rookie. Schaub is a nine year vet, yet he still can't tell the he evaded the rush, has no one within seven yards of him, and can make the throw downfield. You almost felt sorry for Schaub watching him last Sunday. He just can't do it. He's a backup. And some people were saying we would have won it with Schaub. After seeing Schaub now, in multiple games where the bright lights were on him, it is clear he can't deliver.
Sure there is...Yates' record in the playoffs is the exact same as Schaubs...1-1. He didn't exactly light it up against the Ravens in the playoffs either.....In his limited time this year he's got 1 int and 1 fumble. There isn't anything about what yates has done to this point in his career that says that this team would've fared any better against the Patriots with him at the helm than Schaub..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #157
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Before each respective slide there was a seven and six game winning streak respectively. Back to back years, where did the team's onions go in 2011, and how does that happen the following year with so much on the line? It boggles my mind.
I understand. Losing those QB's in 2011 though seems to me like the obvious reason for that late season collapse whereas there was no similar issue this year.

Now if we do something similar in 2013 without losing Schaub late in the year then I'd say it's reasonable to surmise that we would have folded up early in 2011 even if Schaub had not been hurt and a pattern emerges but the QB injuries in 2011 cloud the issue for now I think.
Old 01-16-2013   #158
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
The team should not even have been in that situation in the first place. I would have smiled had they beaten New England though.
Completely agree with this thought. No argument here.

Well... I believe if we were as good as our record showed, we wouldn't have been playing Wild Card weekend. However, I think it's obvious that we weren't that good.

As far as changing the QB, I agree that is one option. Another option would be to get back to where we were when our QB performed well. Let's get back to an up tempo offense, let's get back to 4 & 5 wide sets. I think that is more probable than finding that QB that can play at a higher level.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read