Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is our next QB already on the roster?

Have to admit I don't regularly listen (vs. read) press conferences, but...

Listening to Kubiak on 610 just now, Coach Kubiak's voice was that same monotone he has when talking about Schaub & Yates. I detected a bit of disappointment in Yates(?)

When asked about Case Keenum his voice just lit up:

--Really emphasized how impressed he is with Keenum

--Big arm, no problems with that arm, plus he's confident in it

--Smart, hard working, prepped for games exactly like Schaub/Yates

--Can't wait to get to do more work with him

--Need to work on his finding windows to throw through

Do we already have our next QB in house? Could it be that easy/lucky?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #2
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is our next QB already on the roster?

Could DEF be that easy, on the other could be less lucky
Old 01-14-2013   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It won't be easy, but maybe we will get lucky.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #4
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

one of the points that matt (610) said was that keenum looked great at practice and his arm looked good.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, people may not realize that Keenum is more potent as a running threat most imagine.

He ran for some 2,000 yards and 41 TDs in HS.

In his first year at UH, he split time at QB, logging a little more than 100 attempts (including sacks) , scoring 9 TDs
and averaged some 4 yards net per carry (including yard lost on sacks.)

He doesn't run as much in the later years yet still scored the same number of rushing TDs as Russell Wilson (23) while having 50% fewer rushing attempts (300 vs 410 something - I didn't dig deep enough to subtract the number of sacks but both guys are good enough to avoid them about the same, I think.)

RG III had 33 rushing TDs on 528 attempts, so Keenum actually had more rushing TDS per carry than him as well - no small feast.
Old 01-14-2013   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Also, people may not realize that Keenum is more potent as a running threat most imagine.

He ran for some 2,000 yards and 41 TDs in HS.

In his first year at UH, he split time at QB, logging a little more than 100 attempts (including sacks) , scoring 9 TDs
and averaged some 4 yards net per carry (including yard lost on sacks.)

He doesn't run as much in the later years yet still scored the same number of rushing TDs as Russell Wilson (23) while having 50% fewer rushing attempts (300 vs 410 something - I didn't dig deep enough to subtract the number of sacks but both guys are good enough to avoid them about the same, I think.)

RG III had 33 rushing TDs on 528 attempts, so Keenum actually had more rushing TDS per carry than him as well - no small feast.
I think Keenum is more of a high scoring spread it out kind of qb. I think Yates fits what kubiak wants to do more.

Personally I'd rather have a qb like Keenum. Spread out defenses and run a fast break type of offense. Let the qb dictate the flow of the game.

I don't know if Keenum can fully take advantage of what he does well in this offense as currently constructed.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #7
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Could be that easy but it's going to take guts for Kubiak to go with him and try it out.

Now I can't already wait until pre-season.
Old 01-14-2013   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been supporting the idea that Keenum is a sleeper that could thrive in this system, in that he has 2 healthy and smart feet that know when to run and when not to. The "system" would not have to be entirely overhauled, it would be enhanced by the addition of game plan unpredictability and increased accuracy both short and long. Keenum was excellent in feeding his receivers in stride........inclusive of the long ball.

If you remember my post re. Texans QB Darnell's interview a few weeks ago, he was very glancing and luke warm in comments when asked about Yates........and almost giddy, going on and on over Keenum's quick and extensive progress in grasping every aspect of the NFL game and our system........at the same while showing a big time arm.

It is obvious that Schaub will be under center at the beginning of next season, his job essentially protected by his guaranteed 2nd year contract......and the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. It would not surprise me at all, though, if Keenum claims #2.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think Keenum is more of a high scoring spread it out kind of qb. I think Yates fits what kubiak wants to do more.

Personally I'd rather have a qb like Keenum. Spread out defenses and run a fast break type of offense. Let the qb dictate the flow of the game.

I don't know if Keenum can fully take advantage of what he does well in this offense as currently constructed.
Keenum had seen a lot of different formations between Briles and Sumlin.
The Coogs had 2 and even 3 back sets back then with Briles, including the I.
They still do, except they hardly used it lately.

They also had 2-Te sets back then.

There are game films out there with Keenum running the bootleg play action pass out of the straight I for TD.

With a year rehashing it, I think he will be ready next year - crossing my fingers.
Old 01-14-2013   #10
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It is obvious that Schaub will be under center at the beginning of next season, his job essentially protected by his guaranteed 2nd year contract......and the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. It would not surprise me at all, though, if Keenum claims #2.
Msr.

It cant be that easy. Everyone knows you HAVE TO draft your franchise qb with a top 5 pick. Besides, kubiak automatically disqualifies any qb with a strong arm. It's like the law of gravity.
Old 01-14-2013   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, neither back up will ever be the full time starter here. Lol!

Yates may get a shot at it next year or the year after, but he won't last long. He'll be a stop gap player at best for a year while everyone watches him look like a Jason Campbell type of player. Keenum is barely even in the league as it is, so I don't even see him as a factor at all.

So, no our future QB is not on this roster.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Msr.

It cant be that easy. Everyone knows you HAVE TO draft your franchise qb with a top 5 pick. Besides, kubiak automatically disqualifies any qb with a strong arm. It's like the law of gravity.
The first quality a QB has to posses can't be measured until after he plays and has adversity or gets the snot knocked out of him . Then you see how he responds and hope he's got talent .
Old 01-14-2013   #13
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m5ydc67jPQ

If he can do that ^^ with AJ then I'm game to let him take over; mobile with a good arm?
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #14
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a lot of guys are blinded when it comes to Keenum. They can't see him objectively because of where he comes from.

Yates could be a top backup in the league. Nothing wrong with that. I think average starter is his ceiling.

To clarify, no I don't think our next QB is on the roster.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #15
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

it's interesting, kubs didn't sound too confident at yates while had a lot of good things to say about keenum.

fans want a mobile, take charge, accurate passer and keenum could fit the bill in the future. everything out of kubiaks mouth has been nothing but good stuff about keenum.

you really can't judge keenum until he plays some season games though.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #16
MasterCush
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 MasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame Ballot

Case Keenum highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFw3ZNZQQ4M

Looks pretty damn good although he's just a little short at 6'0
MasterCush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m5ydc67jPQ

If he can do that ^^ with AJ then I'm game to let him take over; mobile with a good arm?
I know that these are "highlights." But they are very exemplary of ho he consistently had the ability to allow his receivers to catch in stride for yds after the catch.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #18
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31193 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCush View Post
Case Keenum highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFw3ZNZQQ4M

Looks pretty damn good although he's just a little short at 6'0
I doubt it's his height that's keeping him back. There's got to be more to it than just his height.

Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are "short."
Old 01-14-2013   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Msr.

Yeah .... Tom Brady - 6th round pick

(I know you were being sarcastic)

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always liked Case Keenum. Keenum could become the QB of the future for the Texans. It's possible. But I don't think an organization can count on Keenum becoming that guy. Which is why I advocate for drafting a QB this year. Preferably, someone who fits the current mold of athletic QBs. If Keenum beats him out, great. But I don't think the Texans should put all of their eggs in a UDFA's basket.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read