Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #41
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well, that's a wrap. 2012 season final thoughts

Schaub choked at the end of the season. He couldn't throw tds to secure hfa and He couldn't throw a td until the pressure was off vs Patriots. He was obviously in over his head, and it's time for new blood. You need a lot of points to compete against elite offenses, and it doesn't matter how good your d is.

I bet the rest of the team has lost faith in him except sadly Kubiak. I wish they would give Yates a shot next year, and if he sucks go for Tahj Boyd or Johnny football in that draft.(don't see many promising qbs this years draft.) With Kubiak we already know Schaub will be back all year.

I guess if there is a silver lining, Schaub has some experience in those types of games now, and perhaps he will be better prepared for them. At least that gives me some sliver of hope to make it through next year.

props to AJ Arian JJW on great seasons
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #42
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel empty in regards to this season. I want to compete for superbowls and I don't feel we are in position to do that with this coach and qb combo.

I do not care about the wins other than it was enough to get us into the play offs. Other than that I wasn't a fan of how they played for much of the year. They had some good moments and that was nice to see. I was happy to have a chance by playing in the game yesterday.

But I'm far from ok. I'm far from satisfied and I hope the players and coaches feel the same way.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #43
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156516 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Well, that's a wrap. 2012 season final thoughts
Nice ride that ended prematurely due to a bad driver.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #44
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21295 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

#1: Special teams was terrible. The return man is only one SMALL PART of the total body of work. Jacoby & Holliday were both able to go other places and be successful. Other than Braman, it was a total loss.

#2: Our defense has GLARING WEAKNESSES. We miss far too many tackles. There seems to be virtually no hustle in making tackles, about 80% of the time. I watched far too many players yesterday being very uninspired about chasing down a player from behind or getting where they needed to be. One guy trying to bring a ball carrier down and four guys standing around watching, happened far too often yesterday. Another HUGE weakness is that our defense CAN'T HANDLE THE HURRY UP OFFENSE. We saw in week 14 against the Pats and we saw it again yesterday. How in the heck do you NOT get down and set at the goal line when you KNOW IT'S COMING.

#3: Nothing new on the Schaub front. He's an unmotivated and uninspiring player. He's above average in terms of numbers but below average in terms of ability. But he ain't going anywhere so we're gonna have to live with it.

#4: The Kubiak ship has sailed and we're all on board--like it or not! He's not going anywhere anytime soon. He spends too much time trying to out think the room when it comes to playcalling. We're the best play action team in the league and he refuses to use it like he should--imo. Spending too much time looking for the "daily specials" on his "Denny's menu" has cost us valuable opportunitites. He wants to be touted as a brilliant offensive mind. Well, then cut that playbook in half and work on what we do well. Screw being cunning and crafty--just line up and GO TO WORK. If we're the best, then line up and tell the other team "You know what's coming and we're confident enough to let you know...so try and stop us." But he's NOT that guy and he's never gonna be that guy. But like Schaub...he's here to stay.

#5: I believe that our O-line really is more talented than they're playing right now. Honestly if you can keep "Mr. Lead Pants" upright and injury free when he's looking for any reason to go down...then you're not half bad. Our blocking schemes are pitiful.

#6: Foster lead the league in TDs...good job. But to say that he seems unmotivated would be an understatement.

#7: Maybe Wade Phillips isn't the savior that we all hoped he'd be. He seems ineffective at making needed changes once the coin is flipped. If it's not "blitz, blitz and blitz again" he seems not to really know what to do. Staying with man coverage the entire game with the Pats in week 14 just showed me that he's either stubborn and inflexible, or just plain dumb. But it seems to me that he's almost COMPLETELY dependant on players with talent, playing talented. Once Cushing went down it just didn't seem like he had a very strong backup plan.

#8: I see FRUSTRATION and CARELESSNESS in players faces. I wonder how much "sticking with Schaub" has taken the wind out of the sails of the team. I realize that we'll never know it, because we've carefully selected players that won't rock the boat. Cushing is the only boat-rocker that we've got in the locker room, and he's just not able to be the team leader when he's on the sidelines--like an injured Ray Lewis let's say.

#9: LEADERSHIP is lacking. JJ Watt is a phenom, but he's not a leader. He's a guy that's going to quietly do his job and impact the game. But I wonder how long before his frustration will boil over. Everyone has a breaking point.

#10: There's no depth at WR. Dre put up alot bigger numbers than I think anyone thought he would this year. But we all know that he's not what he once was. Whose gonna take over his role? Jean? Daniels isn't what he was before the injury either.

#11: The "Good Guys Syndrome" is gonna be our downfall. We're not the Astros! Back in the day, Houston football had some swagger. It wasn't called "The House of Pain" for no reason. I mean for pete's sake--we even had the OC & the DC get into a fist fight on the sideline. LOL.

#12: Salary cap...salary cap...salary cap.

Well, that's all I've got right now...
Feel free to flame away.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #45
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I see this as a season of blown opportunity and the start of a regression in team success. The team has taken a long time to get to where they are, with small improvement every year. That lack of speed contributed to losing talent this year because of salary cap issues before ultimate success was reached. It has also allowed faster moving teams like the Colts to be successful, rebuild, and catch back up with the Texans.

Given the weaker schedule and health of the players relative to last year's team, I think the regression has already started. The team should have had more playoff success than last year, not just a better regular season record.

Counting on "next man up" and a great draft didn't allow the Texans to keep up with or exceed the improvements of other top teams in 2012, and I don't think it will do the trick this off-season either.
Old 01-14-2013   #46
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of blame being thrown Schaub's way, which I can definitely agree he deserves a nice chunk. He was unable to get us over the hump a lot of us thought he would if he was our QB last year in the playoffs. Maybe he could've, but he dang sure didn't prove it to me.

This Oline was a shell of it's former self. I was an advocate of Winston being cut due to $ vs performance. Boy, we missed the heck out of him in our run game this season. Although, I must admit, Newton did progress throughout the season. And for the love of Pete, can we stop the rotation along the oline?!! That's what training camp's for...compete then make a dadgum decision and stick with it.

I love me some Wade, but he's a stubborn man. He refuses to alter his 40 year old defense when needed. Like Vinny said, we can't compete against the "elite" QBs and coaches of the league. We're caught with our pants down when our pressure can't get home.

Like someone else said, my heart sank when Cush went down. Say what you want about Watt, but Cush is the leader of this defense. Would we have been monumentally better? Probably not, but we damn sure would've been better than what we saw in the 2nd half of the season.

The Sharpton and Brady experiment is over! I fully expect ILB to be a priority. Whether by draft or FA, we need someone next to Cush that can stuff the run. Pretty sure we just traded one away last year.

In the end, it was a decent season. I'm just not satisfied
Old 01-14-2013   #47
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately this team is not ascending. I felt better about them after last season. They played a much better last game given their limitations due to injury than this year. After last season we were all thinking, one more full offseason and a healthy Matt Schaub and we can compete with the best. That proved to be true for 3/4 of the season. Now, I think this team has peaked and will be hard pressed to actually get better before next season starts. Not only that, the Colts are ready to pass them up.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #48
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post
Unfortunately this team is not ascending. I felt better about them after last season. They played a much better last game given their limitations due to injury than this year. After last season we were all thinking, one more full offseason and a healthy Matt Schaub and we can compete with the best. That proved to be true for 3/4 of the season. Now, I think this team has peaked and will be hard pressed to actually get better before next season starts. Not only that, the Colts are ready to pass them up.
That was before we cut Winston, lost Breisel, traded Ryans, an lost Dreessen. Then, who did we get in the draft that had any impact? The 2012 draft has ALOT of question marks.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #49
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 348 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a good ride until December.

1. Special teams were anything but special.

2. Linebacker position decimated by injuries.

3. Lack of coaching adjustments.

4. No killer instinct from HC or QB.

Our coaching philosophies must change for this team to get to the next level. We need a space eating nose tackle that will relieve the double teams from JJ. Offensively, keeping a game close is a loser mentality. Establishing the run to set up the pass doesn't work in this day of the NFL.
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #50
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody want to assemble a search party for Ben Tate?

We went from having one of the leagues best 2 back combo to basically Arian
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #51
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
· Trailed at the end of the first quarter for the first time this postseason and the seventh time overall this season. Houston finished the year 2-5 overall when trailing after the opening period.

· Trailed at halftime for the first time this postseason and the sixth time overall this season. Houston finished the year 1-5 overall when trailing at halftime.

· Trailed at the end of the third quarter for the first time this postseason and the sixth time this season overall. Houston finished the year 1-5 overall when trailing entering the fourth quarter.
http://www.kbtx.com/sports/headlines...es&device=ipad
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #52
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Unfortunately only a handful of us saw it and called it as we saw it and were of course ridiculed for it.....

As we all know as Houston sports fans..."There is always next year"
There are 32 teams in the nfl. Each has some problems that people can find. If you look at forums for each team you will find a few posters pointing out these problems and letting everyone know that these are the reasons that particular team can not win it all. At the end of the year 31 of these teams posters are right. We all knew there were problems with the team. It's the way we are force fed these flaws that is sometimes annoying(not talking about you particular-don't even remember any of your post's). Many of the people who were pointing out the problems also predicted a loss in the first round.

We also heard this before last years playoff's and I think most people would consider last years playoff's a success. Hopefully next year we find a way to make those posters that predict doom and gloom "eat it" for once.
Old 01-14-2013   #53
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Evolve or die. That's all.
I think in Houston it is evolve or get an extenion. McNair is way too patient and nice.
Old 01-14-2013   #54
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
There are 32 teams in the nfl. Each has some problems that people can find. If you look at forums for each team you will find a few posters pointing out these problems and letting everyone know that these are the reasons that particular team can not win it all. At the end of the year 31 of these teams posters are right. We all knew there were problems with the team. It's the way we are force fed these flaws that is sometimes annoying(not talking about you particular-don't even remember any of your post's). Many of the people who were pointing out the problems also predicted a loss in the first round.

We also heard this before last years playoff's and I think most people would consider last years playoff's a success. Hopefully next year we find a way to make those posters that predict doom and gloom "eat it" for once.
I consider the Patriots game a first round loss. The Texans choked their way into having to play in the wild card round. They gave up home field throughout and a 1st round bye.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read