Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #61
Victor B
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Victor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Do you really think either of the backups "have it" and our coaches just ignore it or other teams?
I don't know. I try not to base my judgements on facts I don't have. I have really no clue as to whether or not Yates or Keenum can play and excel at this level. I know that Keenum had no Division 1 offers other than Houston and he turned out to be a pretty good QB. Players get overlooked all the time.

This franchise has stuck with players that clearly weren't cutting it in the past because they are extremely loyal.
Victor B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #62
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Yates is not the answer.
Nicely done. Very well thought out analysis. A little long-winded maybe, but hey, nobody's perfect.

Kudos!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #63
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 105796 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Nicely done. Very well thought out analysis. A little long-winded maybe, but hey, nobody's perfect.

Kudos!
I've made my stance on Yates very clear.

Go watch both the playoff games from last year.

Watch how he throws the ball. Everyone keeps talking about his strong arm, I don't see it. He makes weak, slow, floating passes that will get intercepted way too many times.

I'll take Schaub and his weaknesses over Yates any day.
Old 01-14-2013   #64
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
Video on his first start vs. ATL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCPr...e_gdata_player

Barring a coaching change; I'm fairly certain this is who Kubiak is grooming to be Schaub sucessor.. hopefully sooner rather than later (ala Kaep over Smith).

Now, I don't have much of a good memory, but from the traits I remember from him when I saw him play was he had a strong arm, was mobile, good pocket awareness, and seem pretty smart.

His decision making wasn't the best, but he flashed tons of potential.. and this was all in his rookie year.

So, what are you thoughts on him? Future QB of this franchise, yay or nay?
your description made me think of tony romo.

;-)

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #65
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We've had 6 years to see what Matt can do. Don't think there are any surprises left there.
What, that Schaub is 21-8 in his last 29 starts, and could arguably be 35-13 in his last 48 had they had just a bad defense in 2010 instead of a horrendous D.

Can the QB position on the Houston Texans be upgraded? Yes. But you can say that about 3/4 of the teams in the league. Is TJ Yates that upgrade? Not only no, but hell no.

I don't know what happened after Schaub took that kick in the junk on Thanksgiving, but that seems to be when he just quit being the good, occasionally playing great, QB that he was the first half of this season, in 2011, and even in 2010.

Can the Broncos win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning at QB? Well, they haven't yet, and neither has Schaub and the Texans. Doesn't mean they can't.

Yeah, the Texans could use an upgrade at QB. But they could use some right side o-line help, some d-line help, some LB help, some WR help, long before I'd worry about replacing Matt Schaub.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #66
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor B View Post
I don't know. I try not to base my judgements on facts I don't have. I have really no clue as to whether or not Yates or Keenum can play and excel at this level. I know that Keenum had no Division 1 offers other than Houston and he turned out to be a pretty good QB. Players get overlooked all the time.

This franchise has stuck with players that clearly weren't cutting it in the past because they are extremely loyal.

Keenum had zero nfl offers too
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG9032 View Post
I think Matt has been saved by this system. In a more traditional drop back system he'd barely be any good, IMO.
I remember a time when we would throw a quick slant to Andre, OD, or KDub on 3rd & 1.

& that was money. If for what ever reason it didn't work & we went for it on 4th & 1... we'd pick it up.

We didn't do that yesterday in the 3rd & short & 4th down situations we were in yesterday. I don't know why not.
Old 01-14-2013   #68
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
What, that Schaub is 21-8 in his last 29 starts...
Blah blah blah. Schaub is not 21-8, the Texans are. And Schaub is not responsible for the Texans' losses, the team is. But starting with the Pats game in the 13th game of the season and extending through yesterday's game, Schaub threw ONE touchdown pass that mattered. ONE. In 6 games.

And he only threw two overall. So to the extent that a single player who touches the ball on every offensive snap contributes to team success, he was a serious part of the problem.
Old 01-14-2013   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Blah blah blah. Schaub is not 21-8, the Texans are.
Didn't read anything after that.
Old 01-14-2013   #70
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Blah blah blah. Schaub is not 21-8, the Texans are. And Schaub is not responsible for the Texans' losses, the team is. But starting with the Pats game in the 13th game of the season and extending through yesterday's game, Schaub threw ONE touchdown pass that mattered. ONE. In 6 games.

And he only threw two overall. So to the extent that a single player who touches the ball on every offensive snap contributes to team success, he was a serious part of the problem.
agreed....Schaub had a decent stat line yesterday so if that is all people are looking at...it looks like he wasn't a problem. If you watch the game you know otherwise.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #71
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

what was the texans record during yates starts?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #72
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Didn't read anything after that.
I'll be sure to lend your ensuing opinions the appropriate weight then.
Old 01-14-2013   #73
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Funny how some of you are saying if yates was better than why would schaub still be starting and given a contract extension, have we all forgotten about the loyalty the texans FO has displayed ???

Not saying Yates is the answer but come on.....
I believe this coaching staff does what it takes to win. Now that doesn't mean going out and getting the top FA every year. What that means, is if we had a better performer on our team that gave the team a better chance to win, don't you think they would be starting? I mean, Caldwell was the starting guard going in to the season. Yet, Kubiak replaced him with the rookie Ben Jones by game 3, because Jones executed better upfront. I know we all used to knock on loyalty, but if the better man is already on this team, he would be starting, and this season is evident to that.

Regarding your FO statement, I'm almost certain that mindset was left at home last year. Winston, Williams, and Ryans. All of them were shown the door in one way or another. I mean, if you trade guys like Ryans, all loyalty has gone out the window. So, I don't think we should be using that excuse anymore.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #74
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59150 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I like Schaub. At the beginning of this season, he was playing great. By the end of this season, not so much. I don't know if it's his injury or what.

Yates is an athletic upgrade from Schaub but he doesn't have the command of the offense Schaub does and he's just not as good of a QB as Schaub is. Not yet, at least.

BUT.

After seeing Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and RGIII, I want one of those. One of those kinds of QBs in this offense would be amazing.

With all that said, I didn't think QB was our biggest problem against the Patriots. We have to field a better defense than that.
I myself agree and want the same thing BUT it would never happen and I will tell you why. What is the one thing about those QB's that their HC did and the Texans HC would never do?

Change his offense to fit the QB...Kubiak is far to egotistic to actually plan an offense around his QB's strengths, where Kaepernick, RGIII and Wilson's strength is running a Spread-Run Option type of offense. Kubiak is far too old school for that..

It would take a Chip Kelley to become the HC of the Texans to see a QB like we want, until then, get use to the Fetal position statue that is David Carr, errrrr Matt Schaub....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #75
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59150 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
what was the texans record during yates starts?
3-3 with a playoff win over Cincy I believe...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #76
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
What that means, is if we had a better performer on our team that gave the team a better chance to win, don't you think they would be starting?
So you're saying that they believed Bradie James was better than Ryans, that Rashad Butler was better than Winston, and Caldwell was better than Brisiel? Or that letting those guys go in favor of their less skilled backups was doing the best thing to help the team win? Not sure I'm following you here. Or maybe you're saying that those players had to go because of cap issues and the guys in charge got into those cap issues because that would help the team win.

Or maybe we can just all admit that the guys in charge are fallible and make mistakes, and we're capable of seeing those mistakes.
Old 01-14-2013   #77
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keenum had zero nfl offers too
Not a single one. He's a project, nothing more. He's going to get the same chance any other UDFA QB would get. He either cuts it and sticks or he doesn't. I'm not all that concerned with Keenum. I'd like him to work out because everybody likes an underdog but I have no illusions about his chances. I think if there was nothing there at all then he wouldn't be on the practice squad. He'll have to take another step forward next season to keep that spot. Unless he does something dramatic and unexpected he probably won't be here past the 2013 camp.

Yates did have interest from a few other teams. He is still a project type pick. I think anybody taken after the 4th round is a project and I'd lump them all together for the most part. 5th round to UDFA isn't that big a change. Just a bunch of guys with various knocks on them.

I'm of course referring to QB's.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 01-14-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #78
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Keenum and I'm anxious
To see him next year...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #79
iLoveTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 275 iLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Irrelevant to what you guys are talking about, but here is Yates first minutes in the NFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q9cx...eature=related

Sig courtesy of False Start!
iLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #80
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

we could have drafted russell wilson or kaaepernick, schaub would still be the starter and still would have received the extension. dont use this reason to base why yates isnt starting right now. i think the positives yates brought out weigh the negatives, people act like he wasnt a rookie basically thrown into the fire and did damn good. youre talking about a coach picking hte best players for the team, he chose leinart over yates..

im not convinced schaub is outplaying anybody in TC or practice. i see a qb with job security going through the motions with a back up standing by and watching..

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read