Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Teammates come to Schaub's defense

Link

Quote:
As the inevitable radio talk show discussion focuses on Texans quarterback Matt Schaub’s performance after the Texans’ loss to the Patriots and some fans wonder if he’s the answer, Pro Bowl lineman J.J. Watt dismissed the critics with the same force he swats away passes.

Texans Pro Bowl offensive linemen Duane Brown and Chris Myers also had Schaub’s back Monday afternoon, adamantly defending their starting quarterback from the peanut gallery with the same force they display while blocking for him on Sundays.

“Have they ever been in his shoes?” Watt said of the critics. “If you want to sit here and question our quarterback, that’s fine. But every guy in this room believes in him. We all trust and believe that he can take us there. We’re not going to listen to what the outside world says.”

Schaub was not available to the media when the Texans cleaned out their lockers Monday morning, but it didn’t take him very long to face questions.

Schaub, who does a radio show each Monday morning as part of the Texans’ broadcast affiliation with KILT610 AM, addressed the doubts during his appearance.

“If anyone out there, any listeners, have lost confidence in me or this team, I don’t know what to say to them,” he said on his show. “Everyone in this locker room gave it up as much as we could for each other, for our team, for our organization, for our city.

“Ultimately, we didn’t make enough plays in that ballgame to win the game, but we’re going to go right back to the drawing board, right back to that wall. We’re going to bust through it one of these days.”

Brown, who is in charge of protecting Schaub’s blind side, sees the criticism as part of a quarterback’s life.

As far as Brown is concerned, the entire Texans share blame for the loss in New England.

“Being the quarterback, people are going to take their shots,” Brown said. “It’s not on him at all. We had plenty of opportunities to make plays. He put the ball in some great spots. Plays weren’t made and we didn’t get the running game going as well as we could have had up front.

“So it’s not on him. Like I said, being a quarterback people tend to point fingers at him first, but he’s been a great leader and a great player for us all year. It’s definitely not his fault that we lost that game.”

Moreover, Myers said Monday morning quarterbacking “is the way this league works. (Critics) will pick on the quarterback and the head coach when things don’t go well.”

“If the ball had bounced our way and he would have had the same stats, nobody would have cared about (Schaub’s second-half interception that set up a Patriots scoring drive). … That is the way it works. Matt is our guy. He’s our team captain, and that’s always going to be. Whatever happens, as players on this team, he is our leader.”
Gotta admit, legitimate points made.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #2
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teammates come to Schaub's defense

The view is different inside the whirlwind.

I'm glad they are sticking up for thier teammate publically. I'd like to know what they are saying privately.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

time for a group hug

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Look, I myself would like to see a change at QB. I don't like his lack of mobility. I don't like his lack of arm strength. I don't like his runaway bootlegs.

But having said that, what happened to the freaking running game? It wasn't anywhere close to what it was last year.

To say that didn't have any effect on Schaub's play is ludicrous.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Look, I myself would like to see a change at QB. I don't like his lack of mobility. I don't like his lack of arm strength. I don't like his runaway bootlegs.

But having said that, what happened to the freaking running game? It wasn't anywhere close to what it was last year.

I'd contend that the defense regressed just as much, if not more than the running game did from last year.
Old 01-14-2013   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wilson didn't have much help from Lynch but managed to come back from 20 yesterday

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
“It’s not on him at all. We had plenty of opportunities to make plays. He put the ball in some great spots. Plays weren’t made and we didn’t get the running game going as well as we could have had up front.
I'm with big D.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2013   #8
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

They all respect Yates and his leadership more, err wait.
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Our team this year was not as good as it was last year. Last year was our year except for the damned injuries.

The thing about this offense is that the offensive line has to be working as a unit and it never really got together this year. The loss of Winston, Brisiel, and Dreessen was huge. We were not opening up the holes we were getting last year and that was stopping our run game and causing protection problems in the passing game.

We have to hope that Brooks, Jones, and Newton are able to get it together after another year in the system. I mean, it took a couple of years and a some tinkering to get the old line to work.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans Insanity 2013: doing the exact same thing over again and expecting different results.
Old 01-14-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Link

Gotta admit, legitimate points made.
Uh..... have you ever been to Texanstalk.com?

Quote:
“If the ball had bounced our way and he would have had the same stats, nobody would have cared about (Schaub’s second-half interception that set up a Patriots scoring drive). … That is the way it works. Matt is our guy. He’s our team captain, and that’s always going to be. Whatever happens, as players on this team, he is our leader.”
We've got guys knowledgeable enough to look beyond the stats & the wins. Matt Schaub issues have been raised since week 1, through the 11-1 part of the season & the 1-3 part as well.

With that said, I think right now there has been a landslide, kick him while he's down thing going on lately where Schaub has become the scapegoat. He's not RG3 & we want an RG3.

I understand it a little bit, while I didn't necessarily want an RG3 (I mean I do... but not really), I've been complaining for at least two years that the play is over when he leaves the pocket. Chances of a completion is low, chances of a first down is even lower. Chance of a score is nil.

I honestly don't know how Schaub can be extremely successful in this league if he can't adlib, he doesn't have a big arm, & he can't call audibles (we can argue this all day long, but if he can call audibles, he's doing a crappy job of it).

But at the same time, I'm patient. I've seen him make plays offschedule but don't understand why it's been so long & between that we've seen that guy. There's something going on behind the scenes that we just don't know, or just don't understand.
Old 01-14-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Texans Insanity 2013: doing the exact same thing over again and expecting different results.
We've had different results. We've gone from 6-10 to 12-4. We used to get swept by the Jags, now we're sweeping the Jags. We used to get owned on the road, now we own on the road. We used to get owned at home, now we own at home.

We used to dream about the play-offs, now we don't talk draft until the third week of January.
Old 01-14-2013   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
We've had different results. We've gone from 6-10 to 12-4. We used to get swept by the Jags, now we're sweeping the Jags. We used to get owned on the road, now we own on the road. We used to get owned at home, now we own at home.

We used to dream about the play-offs, now we don't talk draft until the third week of January.
Yes, these are all good points. Hopefully we can keep it this way though. We're going to need some help at WR and another QB in the near future. Rick Smith needs to find a way to find a really good available FA WR in my opinion. These rookies take a long time to develop in many cases. I'm all for drafting one, but there is a high bust rate with WR's. I do like the direction that the organization is headed in though other then the fact that we'll have Kubiak for a long time further.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #14
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Oline man.

To think we had stopped the Pats 3-4 times I think after getting 3 points. We COULD have had a grind it out ball control game but we couldn't run to do it.

Our line has problems that needs to be addressed.

The opportunities were there last game but we didn't take advantage of any of them, even had a fortunate bounce on a onside kick too and couldn't get it.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
I heard from one player today who does not believe in him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #16
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Uh..... have you ever been to Texanstalk.com?

We've got guys knowledgeable enough to look beyond the stats & the wins. Matt Schaub issues have been raised since week 1, through the 11-1 part of the season & the 1-3 part as well.

With that said, I think right now there has been a landslide, kick him while he's down thing going on lately where Schaub has become the scapegoat. He's not RG3 & we want an RG3.

I understand it a little bit, while I didn't necessarily want an RG3 (I mean I do... but not really), I've been complaining for at least two years that the play is over when he leaves the pocket. Chances of a completion is low, chances of a first down is even lower. Chance of a score is nil.

I honestly don't know how Schaub can be extremely successful in this league if he can't adlib, he doesn't have a big arm, & he can't call audibles (we can argue this all day long, but if he can call audibles, he's doing a crappy job of it).

But at the same time, I'm patient. I've seen him make plays offschedule but don't understand why it's been so long & between that we've seen that guy. There's something going on behind the scenes that we just don't know, or just don't understand.
I agree with this.

Hurry-up offense is the thing nowadays and the Texans need to get with the times. It's obviously a bit unfair to the defense (I wish it was out of the game personally) but we seem to do so well when we speed it up and then we just don't do it.

Texans ground control plan is a good one when you get a good solid lead early...but if you don't get that the team has to adjust and play more uptempo.

It's time to get with it and work on speeding up this offense more.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein

I heard from one player today who does not believe in him.
Probably Barwin, cause believing in Schaub is too mainstream.
Old 01-14-2013   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The outside world has been watching Matt Schaub play football for a lot longer than JJ Watt has. Sometimes guys can be too close to the situation to be objective about it. I think it's to their credit that they rally around their QB.

It doesn't make him a better QB though. I'm sorry to say that because we could really use a better QB.

While we're at it we could use some better line play too. They don't fix that it won't matter who we have back there taking the snaps.
Old 01-14-2013   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell there needs to be an APB out for Ben Tate

Last edited by Wolf; 01-14-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I am one of the new bandwagon Schaub "haters," but I feel that I know what I have seen, and that guy's not winning any Superbowls without a perfect team around him (& then it would just be one). I don't think I "hate" on Schaub. I don't blame his effort or his "leadership." I blame his lack of mobility, which through no fault of his own is now down to just about 0, and his apparent lack of armstrength, or whatever it is that obviously makes both him and Kubiak have no faith in his throws of 30+ yards (I don't either). I think Matt is a great guy and a hard, hard worker, but physical limitations are physical limitations...

And, no, I don't think it will be easy to find somebody better, but I do think we better eventually find somebody better or we can forget about those Lombardi trophies. Good is good, but it ain't best in the world.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read