Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Who are the top 4 NFL Dynasties since the first Super Bowl year.
Buffalo Bills (Levy/Kelly) 1 2.44%
Cowboys (Landry/Morton+Staubach+White) 25 60.98%
Dolphins (Shula/Griese+Marino) 2 4.88%
Forty-Niners (Walsh+Seifert/Montana+Young) 33 80.49%
Giants (Parcells/Simms) 2 4.88%
Packers (Holmgren+Sherman/Favre) 2 4.88%
Patriots (Belichick/Brady) 28 68.29%
Raiders (Madden+Flores/Stabler+Plunket) 7 17.07%
Redskins (Gibbs/Theismann+Rypien) 1 2.44%
Steelers (Noll/Bradshaw) 25 60.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2013   #1
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100585 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Dynasties

Had a post on another board about dynasties, and thought I'd bring it over here as a question.

Starting from the first Super Bowl year, who do you consider to be the top four (4) NFL dynasties?

Feel free to add your own if you think I missed one; though I don't think but six of the teams shown presented really even qualify IMHO. Please pick ONLY FOUR TEAMS. You can list your four in order in a post and say why you ranked them if you want.
Old 01-14-2013   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Dynasties

To me it is pretty clear - Cowboys, Niners, Steelers, Patriots.
Old 01-14-2013   #3
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100585 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Everyone's opinion will be clear to them; especially depending one which era they grew-up in. So, the real question then becomes, do you base it on consecutive years of dominance, number of Super Bowl appearances and/or victories, winning under only one coach and one QB, etc.?
Old 01-14-2013   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Everyone's opinion will be clear to them. The question then becomes, do you base it on consecutive years of dominance, number of Super Bowl appearances or victories, doing it under only one coach and QB, etc.?
Well each of the teams above dominate in the categories you mention other than one coach/QB.
Old 01-14-2013   #5
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well each of the teams above dominate in the categories you mention other than one coach/QB.
But they all aren't the top 4 in each of those categories now are they?

Arranged by length of dominance:

Cowboys = 1966-1985 (20yr span)
Raiders = 1967-1985 (19yr span)
49ers = 1981-1998 (18yr span)
Dolphins = 1970-1985 (16yr span)
Patriots = 2001-2012 (12yr span)
Steelers = 1972-1983 (12yr span)
Packers = 1995-2004 (10yr span)
Bills = 1988-1996 (9yr span)
Redskins = 1983-1991 (9yr span)
NY Giants = 1985-1990 (6yr span)

Arranged by number of SB wins DURING the dynasty years:

49ers = 5
Steelers = 4
Raiders = 3
Patriots = 3
Cowboys = 2
Redskins = 2 (1982 strike year not included)
Dolphins = 2
Giants = 2
Packers = 1
Bills = 0

Thus the reason I asked.
Old 01-14-2013   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed! Cowboys were even pretty close in the 70s if not for those pesky Steelers. I'd add Packers from Lombardi's day too to make it 5.

So I'd have it

Packers--60s Packers
Steelers--70s..with Boys right behind
49ers--80s
Cowboys--90s
Patriots--21st century

If you think about the Cowboys from 60s-90s they had a streak of 20 straight winning seasons..65-85 and then 6-7 years off before starting up again through 95. So 23 out of 30 years is pretty strong work.
Old 01-14-2013   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

It depends on how you define dynasty. Teams like yours had success over a long period of time, but fewer runs of monster sucess in a short period of time (a la 92-95 Cowboys). The Packers had success over a long period of time, the '80s notwithstanding, but they aren't thought of as a Super Bowl era dynasty, in part because they were a true dynasty under Lombardi. The Giants have a nice run going, but they are very up and down. Is it better to win two Super Bowls in three years and miss the playoffs a few times or have an entire decade of getting deep in the playoffs but have no Super Bowls ('80s Cowboys, for instance)?

A lot depends on definitions. At the end of the day, there are only a few teams with 4+ Super Bowls, so those teams go near the top, IMO.
Old 01-14-2013   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The way you've put the poll kind of illustrates what I'm talking about. You listed the Landry Cowboys, but not the Jimmy Johnson/Switzer Cowboys. 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, especially in the era of free agency, is a dynasty.
Old 01-14-2013   #9
Foxboro Steve
Veteran

Section: Gillette: 102, row 24 seat 5
Rep Power: 4107 Foxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Agreed! Cowboys were even pretty close in the 70s if not for those pesky Steelers. I'd add Packers from Lombardi's day too to make it 5.

So I'd have it

Packers--60s Packers
Steelers--70s..with Boys right behind
49ers--80s
Cowboys--90s
Patriots--21st century

If you think about the Cowboys from 60s-90s they had a streak of 25 straight winning seasons..65-85 and then 6-7 years off before starting up again through 95. So 23 out of 30 years is pretty strong work.
^this^

Probably not popular around here, but a case can be made for the Steelers continued dominance as the gold standard. From Noll to Cowher to Tomlin, the franchise has bumps in the road with extended periods of good/great.
Old 01-14-2013   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxboro Steve View Post
^this^

Probably not popular around here, but a case can be made for the Steelers continued dominance as the gold standard. From Noll to Cowher to Tomlin, the franchise has bumps in the road with extended periods of good/great.
True on Steelers...and I amended my post, I accidentally put 25 straight years when it as 20 for Cowboys.
Old 01-14-2013   #11
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
^this^

That is why the Steelers bumped the Dolphins on my list. To me, the SB wins pushed them past the Dolphins. The Niners made my list because of the length of dominance as well as how many SBs they won. The Cowboys and Raiders round out my list due to the longevity of their runs, plus the SB wins they racked up.

As for what eriadoc noted about Johnson & Switzer, I can see your point which is why I made the post. I guess to me, one of the main things that makes a team a dynasty is dominance year-after-year; but that's just me. The Patriots are still building on their dynasty, so I suspect they'll eventually make my top 4, but we'll have to wait on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
True on Steelers...and I amended my post, I accidentally put 25 straight years when it as 20 for Cowboys.
I'll have to look into that as well. The Cowboys had 20 straight winning seasons, the Raiders and Niners both had 16 straight, but the Raiders had 20 out of 21 years (QB injury caused them to go 7-9 in year 17 of their streak), and the Steelers had 9 years straight. Like I said, I'll have to check the others.

Update:

Cowboys = 20 straight winning seasons
Raiders = 16
Niners = 16
Patriots = 12
Steelers = 9
Dolphins = 6
Old 01-14-2013   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
^this^

I think a case can be made both the Cowboys and Steelers have had two dynasty eras - moreso the Cowboys.
Old 01-14-2013   #13
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think a case can be made both the Cowboys and Steelers have had two dynasty eras - moreso the Cowboys.
That is probably true, and it also takes away from them as having one of the top 4 dynasties, since adding two dynasties together doesn't make 1 great dynasty. Regardless, the Cowboys have to be on everyone's list whether they like it or not.

Of course, recent history will tend to trump old history, which is also why I posed the question. As people's memories fade, or because they are young and weren't around, the newer dynasties seem to get the nod. It is the same thing that happens when talking about greatest players. Someone like Jim Brown or Dick Butkus may not rate as high to a youngster as Walter Payton and Ray Lewis.
Old 01-14-2013   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
QFT. Same picks for me, as well.
Old 01-14-2013   #15
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

A better question is, Who is the 5th dynasty after Pitt, SF, NE, Dallas. Although for me the 90's and not the 70's is the team I think of for Dallas. Maybe I'm not as old as I think.
Old 01-14-2013   #16
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Had a post on another board about dynasties, and thought I'd bring it over here as a question.

Starting from the first Super Bowl year, who do you consider to be the top four (4) NFL dynasties?

Feel free to add your own if you think I missed one; though I don't think but six of the teams shown presented really even qualify IMHO. Please pick ONLY FOUR TEAMS. You can list your four in order in a post and say why you ranked them if you want.
Shouldn't the broncos be on this list as well?

It's unfortunate the bills didn't get at least one championship because they'd be a no brainer. Instead they're orphaned into the forgotten abyss. The reality was they beat the dog snot out of people consistently for half a decade...till February.
Old 01-14-2013   #17
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

There were some cats who played for the 9ers and were on the roster for ALL FIVE Superbowls. Sorry Belecheat and the Pats can't compare to that.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #18
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
A better question is, Who is the 5th dynasty after Pitt, SF, NE, Dallas. Although for me the 90's and not the 70's is the team I think of for Dallas. Maybe I'm not as old as I think.
I think if you make it championships and not just SBs then you have to have Packers of 60s. They won championships in 61, 62 and 65 and then the first 2 SBs in 66 and 67. That is as close to these others as w'eve talked about. I wouldn't include anyone else.If its just SBs...then the 4 we have talked about.
Old 01-14-2013   #19
Foxboro Steve
Veteran

Section: Gillette: 102, row 24 seat 5
Rep Power: 4107 Foxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
There were some cats who played for the 9ers and were on the roster for ALL FIVE Superbowls. Sorry THE GREAT BELICHICK and the Pats can't compare to that.
Nope. Charles Haley has five, 2 with 49ers, 3 with Dallas.

oh, I fixed your post, too.
Old 01-14-2013   #20
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the Cowboys, Niners, Steelers and Pats are definitely the top 4 in the SB era.

Cowboys - 5 SB in 9 seasons winning 2, in the playoffs a million years in a row.
Niners - 5 SB in 14 seasons winning all 5.
Steelers - 4 SB in 6 seasons winning all 4.
And if the Pats win Sunday, it will be their 6th SB in 12 seasons, with 3 wins so far.

No question on those 4.

Who's next? Well, you've got the Dolphins going to 3 straight SB, winning 2, the 90's Cowboys going to 3 in 4 years, winning 3, the 2000's Steelers going to 3 SB in 6 years, winning 2, and then you've got the Bills, 4 straight, no wins, the Vikings 4 in 8 seasons, no wins, the Broncos 3 in 4 years, no wins. Those last 3 teams won a lot of football games, still great teams, they just didn't win that ONE game, the SB.

I'd probably go the 90's Cowboys as the 5th (in the SB era).

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read