Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If you can, go back and look at Yates in pre season.

It looked like he was playing behind a high school line with a bunch of new young wr's he was throwing to.

Guys make excuses for schaub because of the line and tj had it much, much worse in pre season. Kubiak even said it was hard to evaluate him because of how poorly the line was playing.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #22
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

If the Texans' best hope for a future QB is TJ Yates...This team is in more trouble than it knows...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #23
Rudyball
Rookie

If Yates was that much better than Schaub you would see him starting this year, Schaub would not have received an extension and we would have been talking about Yates this year instead of Schaub. But we haven't and that is all the proof you need. There is no "elite" in Yates' or Schaubs' abilities, and that is what we are all looking for. Schaub can't throw accurately on the scramble or really make anything positive happen. These last 6 weeks have shown that very well. He really hasn't been real accurate with his passes those same 6 weeks.

This is Andre on Schaub's accuracy -
Rudyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #24
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of you guys are really really high on Yates and I'm not completely sure why.
Old 01-14-2013   #25
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Some of you guys are really really high on Yates and I'm not completely sure why.
Backups are frequently the most popular players on Nfl teams
Old 01-14-2013   #26
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Sage Rosenfels anybody?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #27
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates did a fine job taking this team as far as he could in 2011. This season I've seen none of that fine stuff from him. Him and Schaub both regressed this season as far as I'm concerned.

But, for some reason, I still like Yates more than I do Schaub. Don't ask me why, I don't have any kind of good reason for it, but I do. I like Keenum better than both of those two guys though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #28
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Have to agree. Most reports of him coming out said exactly what we saw. A solid NFL backup. He had a couple of good outings and some rather pedestrian and bad ones too. More pedistrian and bad than good. His arm is not strong so not sure where folks are getting that one. He has an average arm. He is a smart quarterback though with a good pocket presence but at the same time he locks onto receivers like there is no tomorrow.

So I would have to say incomplete on this one. You have to wait and see. What he has shown so far is not franchise worthy unless you wish to be medicore. Having an elite quarterback helps but more than anything you at least want a quarterback in that second tier or someone that make game changing plays. At this point Yates nor Schaub sadly are this. Just have to see how Yates/Keenum progress or find someone else.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #29
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31401 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I agree we can also win a SB with Schaub BUT everything would have to be perfect around him for that to happen. I just dont like the odds of everything going perfect and us finally breaking through ot win it all.
I'm also in agreement with this. I'm not sold on TJ either. In my ideal world we would spend a high draft pick on a QB to groom for a year or two. However, I don't see anyone in this upcoming draft that would be worth it. Then again, there might be a Russell Wilson type in there somewhere (I am not a draftnik or college scout in the least).

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #30
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
I'm also in agreement with this. I'm not sold on TJ either. In my ideal world we would spend a high draft pick on a QB to groom for a year or two. However, I don't see anyone in this upcoming draft that would be worth it. Then again, there might be a Russell Wilson type in there somewhere (I am not a draftnik or college scout in the least).
Guys will separate themselves from one another at the Senior Bowl, East-West Shrine game, the combine and pro days. There isn't a QB that looks like a slam dunk like Luck or RG3, but there are some interesting prospects.
Old 01-14-2013   #31
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates is a bridge, not a destination imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #32
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyball View Post
If Yates was that much better than Schaub you would see him starting this year, Schaub would not have received an extension and we would have been talking about Yates this year instead of Schaub.

:
Yup
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Yates looked awful in the preseason. Like he had regressed since the year before.
How did Kaepernick look in the preseason? Even after looking good in his regular season starts, many people were giving Harbaugh a hard time for making the switch, many people here as well.

I understand the love & excitement around him, he had a helluva game this weekend, but the bottom line is he hasn't done anything Alex Smith hadn't. Not until he wins next week, otherwise the 49ers made a lateral move.

I'm not for giving Yates anything, as long as Matt is healthy, he is & should be our starter. However, we're going into another season hoping he can stay healthy (whether you believe he's injury prone or not). Yates will more than likely get an opportunity to start, if he can keep Case Keenum on the practice squad.

At that time, Yates or Keenum can make a case for their future, just like Kaepernick did. If one of them introduces as much excitement & hope into our team & our fan base like Kaepernick did & Gary doesn't make the switch, then I'd be disappointed.

Until then, QBs like Schaub do not get replaced.
Old 01-14-2013   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Who is Rogers back up?

How popular is Mallet in New England?

How popular is Daniels in New Orleans?
Old 01-14-2013   #35
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Who is Rogers back up?

Exactly. In places where the starter is getting it done backups are backups. In places where the fans can see the starter has shortcomings that hurt the offense the backup is viewed as a possible solution.

We have no say in this. It's all up to Kubiak here and no doubt his choice will surprise no one. Matt will get a chance to make amends and be driving next year barring injury. Still if that injury should occur we're all going to be watching Yates very closely and hoping for significant improvement.

I'd like to see the Texans take a shot at a young QB. I think it's time to start looking for someone to groom behind Schaub. I wouldn't sacrifice fixing the right side of the OL for that though. Get that taken care of so when we do throw a youngster out there we don't get him killed right away.
Old 01-14-2013   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 241209 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I like some things I saw from Yates. I disliked some things I saw from Yates. I hated just about everything I saw from Schaub the last half of the season. Yates is a young guy that we haven't seen much of. Schaub is a guy that we've seen everything we're going to see. So I really don't know if Yates is a real player, but I know I'd like to see him given the coaching and opportunity to succeed while the new draft pick studies a clipboard.
Old 01-14-2013   #37
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

As great as we all are at making calls and running a football team there is clearly something that the coaches arent seeing in Yates that many of you are and if there was some question as to Yates even being close to Schaub we wouldnt have seen the contract extension we did for Matt
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #38
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 241209 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Who is Rogers back up?

1. Don't know right now, but it was Matt Flynn. Remember him?
2. He sits behind an all-time great, so popularity isn't the question. I bet the Pats fans don't feel like their season is an automatic loss if he had to come in, especially after the Matt Cassell season.
3. Again with the popularity ... Saints fans are optimistic about Daniels, but not clamoring for him because they have an all time great ahead of him.

We have Schaub.
Old 01-14-2013   #39
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

We do not have a QB on the roster that could be considered the next dynamic QB for the Houston Texans.

And I feel pretty confident in saying that nothing will change in 2013. Schaub as starter and Yates as his backup will remain status quo.

I like Yates to an extent, but I do not feel that he is the guy that will elevate this team to compete with the New England Patriots.

Unfortunately for us, those kind of QBs are not grown on trees. We either find some retread vet out there or take chances with an inexperienced kid. I do not see Kubiak choosing either option when he's got so much faith in Schaub.
Old 01-14-2013   #40
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny how some of you are saying if yates was better than why would schaub still be starting and given a contract extension, have we all forgotten about the loyalty the texans FO has displayed ???

Not saying Yates is the answer but come on.....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read