Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #361
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

I've been seeing Schaub supporters throw out 330+ yards with 2 TDs and only 1 INT to defend Schaub.
At the same time, the Schaub detractors have said that stats are meaningless -- especially in garbage time.

Schaub supporters have pointed to the 40+ points our defense has given up to the Patriots both times as being insurmountable
Schaub detractors have blamed the stalling offense for giving the Patriots easy scoring opportunities.

I remember reading a few months ago that yards per attempt by the QB, and opposing yards per attempt (for the defense), were two of the most predictive statistics in the NFL. QB rating and opposing QB rating are of course more correlative with wins, but those have scores built in so the statistics are somewhat circular.

Anyway, since the Patriots game, here is how our team stacks up in yards per attempts:
7.25 Schaub 8.5 Brady (loss)
8.42 Schaub 6.9 Luck (win)
5.56 Schaub 5.8 Ponder (loss)
7.64 Schaub 6.8 Luck (loss)
6.90 Schaub 4.2 Dalton (win)
6.73 Schaub 8.6 Brady (loss)

Before the Pats game Schaub's yards per attempts was 7.3. After it was 7.1

Before the Pats game our defense was giving up 6.3 yards per attempt. After it was 6.8.

Some of Schaubs numbers are padded by garbage time. To me it looks like our defense and offense were never playing well at the same time. When we held the opponents passing game in check (Minn), our offense was awful. When we moved the ball ok, we either committed turnovers or gave up a ton of points on defense.

Thats one other thing these stats don't take into account: Turnovers. Schaub threw a costly INT in this game. He had two horrible picks against Indy as well. YPA only matters if turnovers are roughly equal. When you lose the turnover battle, you have to be extra good. Our offense started giving the ball away at the same time our defense forgot how to make plays on the ball.
Old 01-14-2013   #362
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
It was the same with the rockets and t-mac with fans In this city. people cried for 3-4 years about how t-mac wasnt doing this or that in the playoffs even though dudes numbers actually went up in those times...the rest of the team just couldn't do much to help him..so morey got him outta here and fans rejoiced in the streets. 3 years of lottery picks, a new coach, numerous failed advances towards other superstars and record setting dwindling attendance numbers later, we finally got that superstar....or so we think anyway. It remains to be seen if he'll be able to take us where we ultimately have been trying to go...his last foray in the playoffs though, he kinda disappeared...fans will never learn. I wonder if they'll turn on him too.
Don't think you watched the NBA playoffs last year because Harden carried the Thunder to the finals. He held the ball in crunch time in the first three rounds, not Westbrook or Durant. He was breaking down defenses. And it only took the Rockets three years, while they played .500 ball with a relatively young team. They aren't afraid to make changes and are quick to react. It is not fair to compare the Texans and Rockets because the Rockets are much better run while the Texans are okay with the status quo. At least the Rockets tried to get a superstar and finally got one. The Texans didn't even talk to Manning.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #363
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Thats one other thing these stats don't take into account: Turnovers. Schaub threw a costly INT in this game. He had two horrible picks against Indy as well. YPA only matters if turnovers are roughly equal. When you lose the turnover battle, you have to be extra good. Our offense started giving the ball away at the same time our defense forgot how to make plays on the ball.
I don't know how, but I forgot his fumble as well.

I made a comment earlier, that Schaub played better than Peyton since Peyton threw 2 INTs & lost a fumble. I was wrong, Schaub threw an Int & lost a fumble, so if he played any better, we're talking about polishing a turd here. Peyton threw 3 TDs to Schaub's 2 so that makes up for the extra Int.
Old 01-14-2013   #364
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking of making a Matt Schaub "Waterboy" picture where I'd photoshop Matt's head onto Bobby Boucher's body or maybe shop that big water rig he carried around onto Matt. Ok, it was a cheesy thought but I really was thinking that the best place for Matt on this team is distributing "High Quality H2O" instead of fumbles and picks.

That's when this showed up in Google Image Search.

Matt Schaub bears more than a passing resemblance to Bobby Boucher's dad. Now I can't unsee this so I pass the problem on to all of you. Enjoy!
Old 01-14-2013   #365
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaubs contract ends the same year Luck becomes a free agent....coincidence?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #366
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

You have to ask yourself, are you happy with just having a good season and getting into the playoffs, or do you want to win a superbowl.

Jim Harbaugh has the balls to make those decisions, Kubiak, well not so much, Bellichick cut a guy the day before the superbowl..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...004651704.html

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #367
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

My gut tells me the Texans will draft Schuab's replacement in next year's draft. I think next year is Schuab's last year as a Texan. They aren't going to release him since he's all we got right now and he still has a lot of money left on his contract, but after next season the cap hit won't be as bad. For now, I think the Texans will try and improve other positions and hope for the best with Schaub as QB next season.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #368
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I admit it. I have QB envy. I have trouble looking at any team and not projecting success with their QB on the Texans. Matt Schaub is limited enough that he'll rarely if ever win a game by himself. I know we'll end up with Schaub for 2013 but it's time to start weighing the options for the future.
Old 01-14-2013   #369
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
You have to ask yourself, are you happy with just having a good season and getting into the playoffs, or do you want to win a superbowl.

Jim Harbaugh has the balls to make those decisions, Kubiak, well not so much, Bellichick cut a guy the day before the superbowl..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...004651704.html
eh..... chances are Harbaugh does not draft Kaepernick if he knew they would get to the NFC Championship game.

After I just typed that, I had to stop & think. When they hired Harbaugh, he looked at Smith & by draft time, he knew Smith couldn't get him to the NFC Championship game. I don't think Harbaugh was wrong as much as Smith played above his ceiling & that's the point isn't it.

1. Harbaugh knows who Alex Smith is.
2. Players play above their ceiling for him.

Forget whatever argument I thought I might have.
Old 01-14-2013   #370
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
eh..... chances are Harbaugh does not draft Kaepernick if he knew they would get to the NFC Championship game.

After I just typed that, I had to stop & think. When they hired Harbaugh, he looked at Smith & by draft time, he knew Smith couldn't get him to the NFC Championship game. I don't think Harbaugh was wrong as much as Smith played above his ceiling & that's the point isn't it.

1. Harbaugh knows who Alex Smith is.
2. Players play above their ceiling for him.

Forget whatever argument I thought I might have.

Kaepernick has a ton of talent and he can hurt you in many ways as a 2nd rd pick . He plays behind an OL with three 1st rd picks . Matt Ryan was the 3rd pick in the draft and they gave him a ton of weapons . Its about allocating your capspace .
Old 01-14-2013   #371
GlenRice
Veteran

Rep Power: 681 GlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Shaub said he is elite

GlenRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #372
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shaub said he is elite

Do you have a link?

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #373
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

financially?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #374
GlenRice
Veteran

Rep Power: 681 GlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
Do you have a link?
610 radio interview with him this morning.
GlenRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #375
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did you HAVE TO START ANOTHER THREAD!!!!!????? Geeeeezzzzz, there's Schaub bashing going on all over this place!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #376
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

He DID NOT say he was elite. I dare anyone to prove me wrong.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #377
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

You sure you didnt read the Q and A thread that Gary had from 2010

And it got bumped today?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #378
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Presser after the game he was asked

"Of all the quarterbacks who have won this weekend, is there any doubt in your mind you belong with them?"

His answer

"Absolutely no doubt in my mind, I belong up there with EVERY ONE of them"

That would include Brady, which would make him putting himself in the elite category.

Have to go to houstontexans.com and watch the video of he and Gary after the game ... comments are at the end.
This is such BS. If he had said "no I'm not that good" you would be slagging him for that. Plus he didn't say he was elite.
Old 01-14-2013   #379
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This is such BS. If he had said "no I'm not that good" you would be slagging him for that. Plus he didn't say he was elite.
I don't know about you guys, but I want a QB that has confidence in himself.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #380
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This is such BS. If he had said "no I'm not that good" you would be slagging him for that.
And that is the crux of this whole 'argument', which I hesitate to call it as much. It's really not about performance, it's entirely about their impression of what a QB should be like. Honestly, some of these muppets would rather have Philip Rivers because he throws tantrums (like they do) and attempts to blame all around. Philip flippin Rivers

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read