Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2013   #341
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
I completely agree with this. Who is the better option to Shaub? No one has an answer. Mario was the anchor of our defense and no one gave him credit for it. He commanded attention and it opened up a lot of easy tackles for Barwin and others.
I'm a Mario fan, but check this ut. Not only did Watt have a monster season, but Antonio had a career season & a prettg damn good one for a 3-4 De or a 4-3 DT. But the outside guys still couldn't find a sack lookng inside a paper bag.
Old 01-14-2013   #342
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 131726 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm a Mario fan, but check this ut. Not only did Watt have a monster season, but Antonio had a career season & a prettg damn good one for a 3-4 De or a 4-3 DT. But the outside guys still couldn't find a sack lookng inside a paper bag.
yeah, you would think the edge rushers would at least stumble into a few sacks this season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #343
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
So true. You don't know what you have until it's gone... I think the same can be said about Kubiak if you look at what the Chargers did...or if the Falcons go on and win then same thing but opposite directions...

People were ready to get Mario out of here just because he's not a rah rah guy. He battles through injuries and actually looks worse because of that tendency to try to play through them.

But yeah, Mario is better than all of our other LBs not named Cushing by far. He looked even better in Wade's system too.

Too bad about the cap...personally though I'd rather give the big contract to Mario over Schaub. I mean our pass rush would be downright scary with him and Watt and Smith and it wouldn't even be fair.
Bottom line is between barwin, mercilus and reed we got very little production and u cant have that out of those positions in wades defense....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #344
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston, we have a Schaublem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
Schaub... stepped up? I need some of what you're smoking.
I know it's difficukt to see right now with all the hate flying around but he was by far our best player on offense today. He looked retarded trying to scramble for yardage or work outside the pocket. But at least he tried.

Askng him to extend drives with his legs or dodge pass rushers & make plays isn't a good game plan. When we put a bunch of receivers on the field & stepped up the tempo he looked like a startinv QB. Not his fault the guy running the show didn't maximize on what Schaub does well & tried to make him play someone elses game.
Old 01-14-2013   #345
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Bottom line is between barwin, mercilus and reed we got very little production and u cant have that out of those positions in wades defense....
I give Mercilus a pass...he's a rookie and this team should be past relying on rookies to play over their heads.

Reed was in and out, but doesn't have a excuse.

Barwin was horrible. Especially it being his contract year. I've rarely seen a guy play horribly in a contract year like he has.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #346
AndyWin
Nguyenning

Rep Power: 2223 AndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub's not gonna be able to make enough plays for us to win. He's a decent QB, but after watching Brady, Ryan, Flacco, Kaepernick, Wilson, etc... make big plays and get the ball DOWN field... I realized the Texans were lightyears behind these other teams on offense.

Our offense runs like molasses.
AndyWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #347
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 131726 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know it's difficukt to see right now with all the hate flying around but he was by far our best player on offense today. He looked retarded trying to scramble for yardage or work outside the pocket. But at least he tried.

Askng him to extend drives with his legs or dodge pass rushers & make plays isn't a good game plan. When we put a bunch of receivers on the field & stepped up the tempo he looked like a startinv QB. Not his fault the guy running the show didn't maximize on what Schaub does well & tried to make him play someone elses game.
yeah, that is a hard one to see all right. What sold you? That lackadaisical ten min drive when the game was over? The slow mosey huddles when the team was down 18 with less than a full 4th quarter to go? Was it when he threw the 3rd down (and 4) pass out of bounds as soon as he beat the pass rush? Was it when he snapped his scoreless streak at 19 quarters without a TD pass?....in garbage time. Perhaps the moon-walk fumble double-dribble as he bought some time with his feet?

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-en...45&feedID=3352

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #348
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
In the salary cap age, its impossible to build a team with no holes to cover up for the qb. The 49ers tried it last yr and almost worked until they went 1 for 13 on 3rd down. To me, qbs earn their money on 3rd down,red zone production. When you construct a plodding,methodical,ball control offense, you better convert 3rd downs and you better score tds. Matt Schaub has never been good in the red zone mainly because of his limitations. Unless you can draft a young andre, have a young gonzales,a top 5 ol, top 5 smotherin defense, you can't win big games in the playoffs with schaub.

I laughed a lot when posters said they would've beat ravens last with schaub as if they didn't see the regular season game. In the big moments, schaub is loking to fail. Look at that fumble tonight. He was trying to give up on the play, but somehow got out of it and still fumbled. Teams know if they put the game on schaub, he's gonna fail. If they pressure him, its either a negative play or a 0. Its not that hard, nor is the roster perfect, but its a lot better than 85 % of the rosters in the nfl.
But this is the case for every single qb in the league not named brady, manning, rothlisberger, rodgers and brees. I could take your post scratch out schaub's name and put matt ryan, joe flacco or any 25 other starting qbs in the nfl not named the above mentionedtop 5 and it would be just as valid. Hell up until today matt ryan was thought to be this huge choke artist in atl.. U gotta put these things into perspective man.
Old 01-14-2013   #349
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1490 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He didn't show up until after we were down by 20+ points. Garbage time stats don't mean ****.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #350
AndyWin
Nguyenning

Rep Power: 2223 AndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
He didn't show up until after we were down by 20+ points. Garbage time stats don't mean ****.
Exactly, all these Schaub loyalists are throwing stats out from today's game. How about we get the ball DOWN field earlier in the game instead of punting every series then being down 3+ scores? Trash points and stats are such a mind fogger, it's amazing.
AndyWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #351
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But this is the case for every single qb in the league not named brady, manning, rothlisberger, rodgers and brees. I could take your post scratch out schaub's name and put matt ryan, joe flacco or any 25 other starting qbs in the nfl not named the above mentionedtop 5 and it would be just as valid. Hell up until today matt ryan was thought to be this huge choke artist in atl.. U gotta put these things into perspective man.
I agree with you on Matt Ryan.

I also agree with whom you're responding with when he said - MS needs more weapons. I've been ripping him hard the last few hours. Now, I'm accepting that he is here for the next few years. Given this, we MUST put weapons around him. #2 WR, TEs, #2 RB, FBs, shore up the o-line etc etc.

James Casey really let down MS in the opening minutes....and that just can't happen. MS has to really work on his decision making and read the defense better. If that bo-legged freak in Dallas can run a bit.....MS should be able to here and there.....run and slide
Old 01-14-2013   #352
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:

No one in their right mind has asked matt schaub to be rodgers,brees,big ben,eli,or any of the top guys,but what people are pissing and moaning about is his negative plays under pressure. Any time he gets any pressure,its a negative play or no play. As I've said earlier,qbs earn their money in the red zone and 3rd down. Matt has been garbage all year and when the team is setup like it is,the qb has to be effecient. No one expects him to escape the pocket and make aaron rodgers type throws,but why can't he climb and slide in the pocket to buy time. When his 1st read is gone,that play is over. He can't reset his feet and get to another wr option. So as I said,if kubes is gonna ride the schaub train,the wr better be like a young andre,the te better be like a young gates,the slot needs to be welker like,the ol needs to be like sf,and the defense needs to be like pittsburgh of 4 yrs ago. If you can't achieve all of that,you have no chance of smelling a superbowl with matt schaub.
Old 01-14-2013   #353
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No one in their right mind has asked matt schaub to be rodgers,brees,big ben,eli,or any of the top guys,but what people are pissing and moaning about is his negative plays under pressure. Any time he gets any pressure,its a negative play or no play. As I've said earlier,qbs earn their money in the red zone and 3rd down. Matt has been garbage all year and when the team is setup like it is,the qb has to be effecient. No one expects him to escape the pocket and make aaron rodgers type throws,but why can't he climb and slide in the pocket to buy time. When his 1st read is gone,that play is over. He can't reset his feet and get to another wr option. So as I said,if kubes is gonna ride the schaub train,the wr better be like a young andre,the te better be like a young gates,the slot needs to be welker like,the ol needs to be like sf,and the defense needs to be like pittsburgh of 4 yrs ago. If you can't achieve all of that,you have no chance of smelling a superbowl with matt schaub.
1st of all, getting outside of the pocket, escaping pressure and throwing the ball away isn't considered a " negative" play...this is what schaub does 90% of the time and its what most non running qb's do at least 80% of the time...if anything its a positive that they avoided taking the sack for negative yards.

2nd of all, Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben and Eli is exactly who you guys are asking him to be though b/c those guys along with a few others are the only ones who consistently make positive, downfield plays when the pressure is on. That is y those guys are considered who they are.......elite. This is fine if this is what u want; hell i want it too...i'm just smart enough to know that our team doesnt have an elite qb...so i dont expect him to do elite things. I'm also smart enough to know that this team isnt built this way and that coming across elite qb's is about as hit or miss as schaub's deep ball.

You cant count Wilson, Kap and RG3 just yet b/c they havent been in the league long enough yet.
Old 01-14-2013   #354
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1st of all, getting outside of the pocket, escaping pressure and throwing the ball away isn't considered a " negative" play...this is what schaub does 90% of the time and its what most non running qb's do at least 80% of the time...if anything its a positive that they avoided taking the sack for negative yards. .
Only problem is it was on 3rd down. So even if he took a sack we were still punting. Should have looked up and saw at least 3 receivers were open
Old 01-14-2013   #355
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post
Exactly, all these Schaub loyalists are throwing stats out from today's game. How about we get the ball DOWN field earlier in the game instead of punting every series then being down 3+ scores? Trash points and stats are such a mind fogger, it's amazing.
He threw a TD pass on his first throw of the game. Not his fault Casey doesn't catch the most catchable ball I've seen in a play-off game.

As far as throwing the ball downfield, I've got to look at the all-22 before I blame Schaub. I still don't believe he needs to force the ball down field.

I'm not a Schaub loyalist, I've been saying he sucked for a long time. I'm just not going to dump on him because all of a sudden he's not Ben Roethlisberger. He is who he is & just like everyone else, he needs to be put in a position to succeed. He's better with a spread, hurry up offense. Why don't we see a spread hurry up offense when we know he has to have a big game?

He's made some big throws this season, when the bootleg worked & we had receivers running wide open down field....... I didn't even see any of that yesterday.

Asking Matt to stiff arm defensive ends (which he did) to get outside the pocket & still make a play is asinine & that's what we did yesterday. Don't blame Matt, blame the offensive guru who called that crap.

Until I see Kubiak putt Matt in a position to succeed & then Matt fails, I'm not going to blame him for not being able to do what we know he can't do.

End of the first half, that's what Matt needs to be successful, we went there he was successful, my biggest question now, is why we didn't do more of it?

Keep in mind, everyone said Matt has to have a big game to have a chance. If Matt has to have a big game, if Matt has to have his biggest game of the season, why is he not put in position to do what he does best?
Old 01-14-2013   #356
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92342 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's because the middle of our defense is horrible. We get ZERO PUSH UP THE MIDDLE. Between the hacks we have splitting time at ILB and Cody we are so weak up the middle it's pathetic. When the QB can step up in the pocket it makes it harder for the outside guys to get to him.

With the year Watt and Smith had our middle guys should of bad career years getti g to the QB. Just shows how bad they are.

And this talk about Mario is a joke. His biggest problem is that he wants to be a speed rusher. He just wants to run around the outside doing a big loop. Most of his sacks came because pressure up the middle forced the QB to step back into his path. He has no moves to get to the QB even after all these years. He would have done no better in barwins place this year than Barwin did.

This is why people shouldn't look just at stats. Do your homework. Go to the Bills message board and see what they think of Mario.
Old 01-14-2013   #357
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I think we have an issue with so many people arguing so many different things, but there are people saying Matt should be able to get out the pocket & make a play, ala Rogers. & your comment there about resetting his feet..... makes it sound like you are as well.

Matt used to be pretty good stepping up & to the side & delivering strikes while taking hits. Something changed this year.... actually after the Broncos game, maybe because I remember him working the pocket & delivering bombs despite getting his ear torn off.
Old 01-14-2013   #358
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

James Casey. Wide open. 1st play. Ball hits his hands, pads, and helmet. Did schaub throw too hard for him?
Old 01-14-2013   #359
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post
This ^^^.
Old 01-14-2013   #360
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 139472 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

In a league where there is a cap , the guys who are paid the most have to be able to cover for the lesser paids short comings . Casey dropped a TD and then the next pass ends up in the 1st row . I bet the Texans lead the league in gaining 3 yards on a 3rd and 8 .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read