Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013   #1
PockyAF
Site Contributor
 
PockyAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 380
Rep Power: 3090 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Assessment on TJ Yates

Video on his first start vs. ATL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCPr...e_gdata_player

Barring a coaching change; I'm fairly certain this is who Kubiak is grooming to be Schaub sucessor.. hopefully sooner rather than later (ala Kaep over Smith).

Now, I don't have much of a good memory, but from the traits I remember from him when I saw him play was he had a strong arm, was mobile, good pocket awareness, and seem pretty smart.

His decision making wasn't the best, but he flashed tons of potential.. and this was all in his rookie year.

So, what are you thoughts on him? Future QB of this franchise, yay or nay?
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #2
Rufus Jarvis
Rookie
 
Rufus Jarvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 0 Rufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

He has a strong arm.
Rufus Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stafford, Texas
Age: 61
Posts: 7,892
Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

I'd rather have him a QB next season than Schaub, I know that.

Yates played like a rookie last season, because guess what? He WAS one! I think his detractors still haven't come to grips with that. He didn't do anything last year that Tony Romo doesn't do EVERY year. (throw it up for grabs)

Now having said that, the trend in the NFL is moving to more mobility at QB. Schaub was slower than molasses even before he broke his foot, and even though he might not have been limping on it during the season, (I was watching for that) his drive off his plant foot didn't seem to be there. And his bootlegs, or his version of it, drive me nuts.

They need an upgrade. Not optimistic it'll happen though.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,437
Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

I'd love to see Yates get a real chance to be our future QB but as long as Kubiak is here I don't think it will happen. Yates has a better arm, better athleticism, mobility, more confidence, pocket awarness, and seemed to be fairly intelligent, ie: he learned our system quickly last season. What he lacks is experience. But we just re-signed Schaub to a 4 yr. contract and I expect that he'll do at least the first 3 yrs. of it here in Houston. As much as I'd like to see a change at QB, it ain't happening any time soon.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #5
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid
 
EllisUnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Age: 30
Posts: 7,237
Rep Power: 131050 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

If Schaub would of had this talent around him 2-3 years ago i have no doubt he could lead us to a Superbowl, the sad thing is that this is not that Schaub anymore.

Yates has all the tools to be a great QB and the biggest thing he has that i like in him is confidence ! Its the way he carries himself even after a bad play fans can sense that and players around you can sense that. Yates as a rookie had more confidence than Schaub does as a vet which is sad but true.

Kubiak better give the kid a chance or figure something out, cause unless this team continues to draft as good as they have, with all the cap issues this teams window is closing rather quickly i'm afraid.
__________________
"Oh, yes, and one more thing, dear Lord about our enemies? Ignore their heathen prayers and help us blow those little bastards straight to hell. Amen again."
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #6
Premier
All Pro
 
Premier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 943
Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

im at the point that if kubiak wont even make it a competition, i hope schaub finds his way to the IR next season.. its a long shot that we have found the next tom brady in yates, but sitting on our hands waiting for schaub to show up is just wasting time.. schaubs peak(with a top 10 defense) is 11-13 wins, division round fluff..
__________________
Premier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #7
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor
 
SAMURAITEXAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 3,495
Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
Video on his first start vs. ATL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCPr...e_gdata_player

Barring a coaching change; I'm fairly certain this is who Kubiak is grooming to be Schaub sucessor.. hopefully sooner rather than later (ala Kaep over Smith).

Now, I don't have much of a good memory, but from the traits I remember from him when I saw him play was he had a strong arm, was mobile, good pocket awareness, and seem pretty smart.

His decision making wasn't the best, but he flashed tons of potential.. and this was all in his rookie year.

So, what are you thoughts on him? Future QB of this franchise, yay or nay?
Thanks for video Pocky! I remember this game. Make me feel much better today thank you.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2013   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor
 
ObsiWan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: League City, Tx
Age: 63
Posts: 15,265
Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Not buying it. Not after what I saw this preseason and during the short stints Yates has had this season in live action - remember the Minnesota game??

There's always a chance he makes a leap this off-season so I'm in wait and see mode with him.

I'd like to see us open the #2 QB job to Keenum and Yates and let them battle for it. If Yates is really everything you guys say he is, he should have no trouble keeping his job. If not....

In my fantasy world, I'd open the #1 QB job up for all three of them; let the best guy win. And to be fair, I'd tell them that on the day everyone is cleaning out their locker. That way all three get the same chance to work their asses off during the off-season and get ready for the competition.

If Schaub wants to keep his job, he'll know he's going up against two hungry youngsters who want his spot so he better damned well step up.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #9
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame
 
leebigeztx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City formerly of LaMarque
Age: 43
Posts: 1,629
Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Case is not even a backup in the nfl. He has 0 special qualities.
__________________
Be a student of the game, not a fan.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #10
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor
 
ATXtexanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: leander, tx
Age: 37
Posts: 3,527
Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Gotta hope kubiak gives him a shot and that he puts in the work
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #11
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame
 
Lurvinator11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Woodlands/ Huntsville
Section: My Couch
Posts: 1,478
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Here's my deal with Yates.

Sure, you can look at last year. Cheer about the accomplishments, of beating the Falcons, and the Bengals twice. But what about the losses? He barely did anything against a young Carolina team, who only had 1 win on the road, and then he could only put up 13 points against the worst team in the league, the Colts. If I'm correct, didn't they have a really bad defense that year too? Of course he went out early against Tennessee, and we won't count the Ravens game either, since it was the Ravens. Although, he did throw three picks in that game, and stared down Johnson the entire game.

But no, let's look at his wins. He had a couple of bright spots against the Falcons. Hitting a 50 yard pass to Johnson in stride looked good. Putting up 17 was pretty nice. Although, that victory really belonged to the defense and the fans. Defense held matty ice to 10 points, and the fans were loud as hell in that game. To say Yates won that game by himself, is just overlooking other factors.

Then you have the two games against the Bengals. For starters, the fact that we won that first game was nothing short of a miracle. It was awesome, don't get me wrong, but Yates and the offense couldn't do anything until the second half. He redeemed himself with that magical drive, so I'll give him credit for that. Aside from that, he was lackluster in that game. In the playoff game, he played better, but still made what could have been costly mistakes. Defense played lights out in that game, and Foster ran like a mad man.

Yates did what he needed to do, but when it comes to being a starter, he won't cut it. Now, you can look at last year and say he played like a rookie because he was. Sure, I'll take that. What about this year?

Well, in the two games that he saw action, he ran in a TD against NE and their backups. Aside from that, he had two turnovers in total. A fumble off of a blindside hit, and an INT against GB. Now you can counter by saying the games were a lost cause, but let me counter with this. When you're a backup, you do whatever it takes to get on the field and stay on the field. That is how you separate the leaders from the rest of the pack. Even if it is a blowout, or you're subbing for an injury, you do whatever it takes to get noticed in a good way. Play as hard as you can, and do what you can to bridge the gap. Coaches will notice, whether it is your team, or another team that is in need of a starting QB. Look at SF, or Seattle. the 49ers had just signed Smith to a deal this offseason, and was doing well. But one injury was all it took for Kapernick to get his shot. He played as hard he could, and look at it now. Although Smith is healthy, it is obvious who the 9ers are sticking with. Same with Wilson in Seattle. Big trade for Matt Flynn, and he doesn't even play a snap this year. Yates does not have that ability in him. He has little awareness, is mistake prone, and just doesn't have that sense of urgency.

I know we all have a special place in our hearts for Yates. I know after Schaubs performance today, many of you will want Yates to replace him. But that just isn't going to happen. Yates is, at best, a backup. He is not the future of this team, and he will not be starting over Schaub next season. Take it for what it is, but that is how it will most likely play out.

Personally, if anyone is the future, I have two scenarios on how that will play out. A). Draft a first round QB in the 2014 draft and groom him for a couple of seasons or B.) Keenum will surprise everyone. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me is Keenum unseated Yates as the backup next season. He would give this offense a new look if he could get some playing time from Schaub. He can run, throw bombs, and has good accuracy. His only issue is he is a little guy. He would need to bulk up a bit, if he is ever serious about getting a starting job.
__________________
Texans 19 Cowboys 10. Played on my 10th birthday. Lifelong fan.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #12
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid
 
EllisUnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Age: 30
Posts: 7,237
Rep Power: 131050 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
Here's my deal with Yates.

Sure, you can look at last year. Cheer about the accomplishments, of beating the Falcons, and the Bengals twice. But what about the losses? He barely did anything against a young Carolina team, who only had 1 win on the road, and then he could only put up 13 points against the worst team in the league, the Colts. If I'm correct, didn't they have a really bad defense that year too? Of course he went out early against Tennessee, and we won't count the Ravens game either, since it was the Ravens. Although, he did throw three picks in that game, and stared down Johnson the entire game.

But no, let's look at his wins. He had a couple of bright spots against the Falcons. Hitting a 50 yard pass to Johnson in stride looked good. Putting up 17 was pretty nice. Although, that victory really belonged to the defense and the fans. Defense held matty ice to 10 points, and the fans were loud as hell in that game. To say Yates won that game by himself, is just overlooking other factors.

Then you have the two games against the Bengals. For starters, the fact that we won that first game was nothing short of a miracle. It was awesome, don't get me wrong, but Yates and the offense couldn't do anything until the second half. He redeemed himself with that magical drive, so I'll give him credit for that. Aside from that, he was lackluster in that game. In the playoff game, he played better, but still made what could have been costly mistakes. Defense played lights out in that game, and Foster ran like a mad man.

Yates did what he needed to do, but when it comes to being a starter, he won't cut it. Now, you can look at last year and say he played like a rookie because he was. Sure, I'll take that. What about this year?

Well, in the two games that he saw action, he ran in a TD against NE and their backups. Aside from that, he had two turnovers in total. A fumble off of a blindside hit, and an INT against GB. Now you can counter by saying the games were a lost cause, but let me counter with this. When you're a backup, you do whatever it takes to get on the field and stay on the field. That is how you separate the leaders from the rest of the pack. Even if it is a blowout, or you're subbing for an injury, you do whatever it takes to get noticed in a good way. Play as hard as you can, and do what you can to bridge the gap. Coaches will notice, whether it is your team, or another team that is in need of a starting QB. Look at SF, or Seattle. the 49ers had just signed Smith to a deal this offseason, and was doing well. But one injury was all it took for Kapernick to get his shot. He played as hard he could, and look at it now. Although Smith is healthy, it is obvious who the 9ers are sticking with. Same with Wilson in Seattle. Big trade for Matt Flynn, and he doesn't even play a snap this year. Yates does not have that ability in him. He has little awareness, is mistake prone, and just doesn't have that sense of urgency.

I know we all have a special place in our hearts for Yates. I know after Schaubs performance today, many of you will want Yates to replace him. But that just isn't going to happen. Yates is, at best, a backup. He is not the future of this team, and he will not be starting over Schaub next season. Take it for what it is, but that is how it will most likely play out.

Personally, if anyone is the future, I have two scenarios on how that will play out. A). Draft a first round QB in the 2014 draft and groom him for a couple of seasons or B.) Keenum will surprise everyone. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me is Keenum unseated Yates as the backup next season. He would give this offense a new look if he could get some playing time from Schaub. He can run, throw bombs, and has good accuracy. His only issue is he is a little guy. He would need to bulk up a bit, if he is ever serious about getting a starting job.
On the blindside fumble he was trying to make something happen even though the game was lost.

If AJ had been healthy the whole time Yates was starting i think we would all be seeing yates in a different light. When AJ and yates were playing he had a knack for finding him. Had some damn good play off games with yates throwing him the ball, and what did AJ do this year in the play-offs when he was healthier ?

My point is you cant base what he can do in the future off his rookie year with J Jones as him #1 and KW as his #2 WR and then the few times he came in when the game was out of reach. After how Schaub looked this season would it really be much of a risk to give him a shot ? Hell we only won as many games as we did cause the Defense and Foster but DEF NOT because of Schaub.
__________________
"Oh, yes, and one more thing, dear Lord about our enemies? Ignore their heathen prayers and help us blow those little bastards straight to hell. Amen again."
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #13
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame
 
Lurvinator11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Woodlands/ Huntsville
Section: My Couch
Posts: 1,478
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
On the blindside fumble he was trying to make something happen even though the game was lost.

If AJ had been healthy the whole time Yates was starting i think we would all be seeing yates in a different light. When AJ and yates were playing he had a knack for finding him. Had some damn good play off games with yates throwing him the ball, and what did AJ do this year in the play-offs when he was healthier ?

My point is you cant base what he can do in the future off his rookie year with J Jones as him #1 and KW as his #2 WR and then the few times he came in when the game was out of reach. After how Schaub looked this season would it really be much of a risk to give him a shot ? Hell we only won as many games as we did cause the Defense and Foster but DEF NOT because of Schaub.
Really? Denver. Those two long TD passes from Schaub to Walter and Johnson had nothing to do with Schaub. Baltimore. The 43 points we hang on them had nothing to do with Schaub. Jacksonville. the 527 passing yards from Schaub had nothing towards that win. Chicago. The one and only TD pass in the game. Schaub.

I know Schaub had his bad games this year, but to say he was a non factor in this season is just not giving credit at all. It is very easy to over look things when you are angry. A lot of fans are angry with Schaub. I understand that, but when you take away the run game, and when the defense cannot stop a screen pass, what do you think the chances of us winning are in the first place? Schaub made mistakes today, there is no looking around that. But is it on him when Casey drops the go ahead TD pass? Is it on him when our defense cannot stop a nosebleed? Right now we are in our Championship window. We have a good 3 years left IMO. Schaub may not be elite, but it is not worth it to throw Yates in the season, and essentially waste a year. Right now, Scuab gives us the best chance to win. Is it a SB chance? Maybe, maybe not. But out of the three QB's we have, Schaub gives us that opportunity.

For the record, I do believe we can win a SB with Schaub. Everything needs to be clicking at the right time. The running game needs to be more of a threat to keep the defense guessing, and overall, we need to be more aggressive on offense. That falls on Kubiak, but I think we can achieve it, if we try. At the very least, our players need to execute better. I think that will happen. Then again, I might just drink too much koolaid, so what do I know?
__________________
Texans 19 Cowboys 10. Played on my 10th birthday. Lifelong fan.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #14
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid
 
EllisUnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Age: 30
Posts: 7,237
Rep Power: 131050 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
Really? Denver. Those two long TD passes from Schaub to Walter and Johnson had nothing to do with Schaub. Baltimore. The 43 points we hang on them had nothing to do with Schaub. Jacksonville. the 527 passing yards from Schaub had nothing towards that win. Chicago. The one and only TD pass in the game. Schaub.

I know Schaub had his bad games this year, but to say he was a non factor in this season is just not giving credit at all. It is very easy to over look things when you are angry. A lot of fans are angry with Schaub. I understand that, but when you take away the run game, and when the defense cannot stop a screen pass, what do you think the chances of us winning are in the first place? Schaub made mistakes today, there is no looking around that. But is it on him when Casey drops the go ahead TD pass? Is it on him when our defense cannot stop a nosebleed? Right now we are in our Championship window. We have a good 3 years left IMO. Schaub may not be elite, but it is not worth it to throw Yates in the season, and essentially waste a year. Right now, Scuab gives us the best chance to win. Is it a SB chance? Maybe, maybe not. But out of the three QB's we have, Schaub gives us that opportunity.

For the record, I do believe we can win a SB with Schaub. Everything needs to be clicking at the right time. The running game needs to be more of a threat to keep the defense guessing, and overall, we need to be more aggressive on offense. That falls on Kubiak, but I think we can achieve it, if we try. At the very least, our players need to execute better. I think that will happen. Then again, I might just drink too much koolaid, so what do I know?
Schaub looked great to start the season but the Defense was causing all kinds of turnovers and constantly gave the O a short field. When the D stopped getting turnovers is when Schaub began to struggle and could not sustain long drives.

Also to start the season he looked more confident he would stand in the pocket and make the throws but it all started the first time we faced the patriots. Suddenly he looked paniced, he would panic when there was not even any pressure.

I agree we can also win a SB with Schaub BUT everything would have to be perfect around him for that to happen. I just dont like the odds of everything going perfect and us finally breaking through ot win it all.

Like i said earlier if we had the Schaub from 2-3 years ago then hell yeah we could go all the way even if everything around him wasnt perfect. But i did not see that player down the stretch and i cant explain why but it just wasnt there.
__________________
"Oh, yes, and one more thing, dear Lord about our enemies? Ignore their heathen prayers and help us blow those little bastards straight to hell. Amen again."
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #15
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame
 
Lurvinator11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Woodlands/ Huntsville
Section: My Couch
Posts: 1,478
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Schaub looked great to start the season but the Defense was causing all kinds of turnovers and constantly gave the O a short field. When the D stopped getting turnovers is when Schaub began to struggle and could not sustain long drives.

Also to start the season he looked more confident he would stand in the pocket and make the throws but it all started the first time we faced the patriots. Suddenly he looked paniced, he would panic when there was not even any pressure.

I agree we can also win a SB with Schaub BUT everything would have to be perfect around him for that to happen. I just dont like the odds of everything going perfect and us finally breaking through ot win it all.

Like i said earlier if we had the Schaub from 2-3 years ago then hell yeah we could go all the way even if everything around him wasnt perfect. But i did not see that player down the stretch and i cant explain why but it just wasnt there.
I agree with most of that. The only thing I would attest to is the fact that we scored on big drives as well, not just from turnovers with short fields. Going back to that Denver game, we went on 90 yard drive that took like 7 minutes off the clock.

For sure, this team was different over the stretch. To be honest, I would rather go through the "sky is falling" post that losing in the beginning of the season would yield, if it meant we would finish hot.

I do like our chances next year. I think our O Line will be better, and as a result, Foster will run better. I cannot explain exactly what happened this season, but all we can hope for now, is that this team learns from it and corrects their mistakes. Make next year even better.

Little tidbit. The Dream didn't win his first NBA championship until his tenth season in the league. The 93-94 season, to be exact. Last I checked, Andre will be going into his tenth season. Maybe we will see history repeat itself in a weird way. Twenty years after the first professional championship in the cities history, a new championship will be brought back.
__________________
Texans 19 Cowboys 10. Played on my 10th birthday. Lifelong fan.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #16
Textan
Veteran
 
Textan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 46
Posts: 285
Rep Power: 4036 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

The important thing to me, and I'm sure many other fans, was his non-factor stretch in December and these play offs.
Regular season is nice and all, and I do love when the Texans win those games, but I'd take a so so season with us barely squeaking into the play offs, for an outstanding run in the play offs.
Play offs are where it really matters. Everything else is just fluff.
I saw great potential in Yates, especially the regular season game against the Bengals to clinch our first ever play off berth. That winning drive and his incredible scrambling ability is something I've never see from the Sloth called Schaub.
Texans need to give Yates a legitimate shot. We've all seen Schaub, and for the most part, we're sick of him. Sure, there's still a few who will throw out all his incredible stats and say "he's a great QB", but most have seen enough. There's just no defending him anymore, especially after his collapse in December and the play offs.
Nice guy and I wish him the best, but I just want him gone already.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #17
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid
 
EllisUnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Age: 30
Posts: 7,237
Rep Power: 131050 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
The important thing to me, and I'm sure many other fans, was his non-factor stretch in December and these play offs.
Regular season is nice and all, and I do love when the Texans win those games, but I'd take a so so season with us barely squeaking into the play offs, for an outstanding run in the play offs.
Play offs are where it really matters. Everything else is just fluff.
I saw great potential in Yates, especially the regular season game against the Bengals to clinch our first ever play off berth. That winning drive and his incredible scrambling ability is something I've never see from the Sloth called Schaub.
Texans need to give Yates a legitimate shot. We've all seen Schaub, and for the most part, we're sick of him. Sure, there's still a few who will throw out all his incredible stats and say "he's a great QB", but most have seen enough. There's just no defending him anymore, especially after his collapse in December and the play offs.
Nice guy and I wish him the best, but I just want him gone already.
I have ALWAYS been a big Schaub supporter up until the final stretch of this season. The final 4 games every game was a big game and he was no where to be seen. Thats the moments that define a QB and in big games he has always been a no show !
__________________
"Oh, yes, and one more thing, dear Lord about our enemies? Ignore their heathen prayers and help us blow those little bastards straight to hell. Amen again."
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #18
Txn_in_FL
Lucky 13
 
Txn_in_FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Age: 39
Posts: 3,826
Rep Power: 33753 Txn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Maybe it's just me, but I think last year was Schaub's year and he got robbed. It's too bad because I like the guy, I just don't think it's goin to happen with him running the show.
__________________
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on Texans Talk."
Txn_in_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #19
cdollaz
All Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 504
Rep Power: 6353 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Hell no on Yates as Schaub's successor. The last thing I want is to waste a few more years on mediocrity.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #20
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 31
Posts: 15,780
Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment on TJ Yates

Yates looked awful in the preseason. Like he had regressed since the year before.
I won't complain if we upgrade the QB position but I don't believe Yates is that guy
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger