Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2013   #21
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013; Can't wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
this is where im at. i feel like staying with him will be another wasted season.. sure we will win 12-13 games next year then fluff out behind our soft as baby shiet qb..
So like the Colts did 8 times with Peyton Manning at the helm? I don't expect us to win every season, but being a perennial playoff team is a helluva lot better than being done at the end of December.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
The one thing I'd be worried about and I saw Herv and some others allude to it is, how many times do you cold the keys to the kingdom? Meaning homefield and running the playoffs. Next year will the Colts be better, will the Jags do anything...can the Titans turn it around. Every year is a surprise so you really need to take advantage while you can. You might be as good but others may rise up. So next year should be a break through but you always rue years like this.
Yeah, I agree with that. Good points, Frog.

This team has maybe one more year. After that, it'll be a dogfight if Matt and Gary are still joined at the hip. Which I expect them to be.

Bob, IMO, when he approved and signed off on the Schaub extension, was saying "We're sticking with this for two more years. I'm fine with that, rain or shine."

Because at the end of the day, we keep coming back and accepting it as such...with ticket sales and apparel purchases. Oh, and especially with JJ Watt apparel purchases. He's the New Andre Johnson for Bob. Walking ATM machine.
Old 01-13-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
We're close, and I think we have to change our conservative philosophy to play more aggressive against teams that have good offenses. Even so, this team has a lot going for it. Can't wait till next season.

I'm torn on this, don't really know. We kicked some butt this year & this conservative thing won 10 games pretty handily. 9 games. I didn't like our odds of winning a shoot-out against the Patriots the first time, but after watching Matt drive us down the field with 4 & 5 receivers, I kinda think we should have attacked the Patriots that way. At least until we got a lead on that defense.

I'd really like to see a different game plan against high powered teams, like the Pats, & Packers, than trying the same game plan we used against Miami. the game plan we saw didn't work against the Lions & Jags.
Old 01-13-2013   #24
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

If there isn't an open competition at QB then the same thing will happen next year.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
If there isn't an open competition at QB then the same thing will happen next year.
I'm going to be excited going into next season, unless Walter is still our #2 WR.

I don't even want him on the team. If he's gone, I'll be expecting more 3+ WR sets. I think Schaub would have done better if he had more options, if we played at a faster pace. Maybe there is something wrong with his foot, I don't know. But I think Kubiak not trusting the kids had more to do with Schaub's performance going down the stretch than anything else.

I don't buy into this "conservative" Kubiak talk, that just doesn't make sense. He's an ex-QB, even as a back-up, those guys love to score points. They love throwing the ball.

I remember the general thought around here, was hope that Dennison would slow Kubiak down & prevent him from giving up on the run too early.

There's a reason we played it the way we did, I don't know what it was.
Old 01-13-2013   #26
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm going to be excited going into next season, unless Walter is still our #2 WR.

I don't even want him on the team. If he's gone, I'll be expecting more 3+ WR sets. I think Schaub would have done better if he had more options, if we played at a faster pace. Maybe there is something wrong with his foot, I don't know. But I think Kubiak not trusting the kids had more to do with Schaub's performance going down the stretch than anything else.

I don't buy into this "conservative" Kubiak talk, that just doesn't make sense. He's an ex-QB, even as a back-up, those guys love to score points. They love throwing the ball.

I remember the general thought around here, was hope that Dennison would slow Kubiak down & prevent him from giving up on the run too early.

There used to be a time when Kubes was all about throwing it around. Before Foster got here and the run game was inconsistent.

Could be Walter, could be we just need more explosive players to really open up the playbook more.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #27
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the play of the oline had a lot to do with why he went so conservative late in the season. We need a serious upgrade at RT and we need to draft Wade Smith's replacement at LG as well. It really restricted the playbook that we couldn't run effectively to the right side all year.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #28
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you guys think we need to scrap parts of the offense next year? Not throw the whole playbook out per se, but change our philosophy.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Do you guys think we need to scrap parts of the offense next year? Not throw the whole playbook out per se, but change our philosophy.
If we had more receivers, I think our offense would have been different. The kids look good, they're coming along. Next year, hopefully Kubiak will trust them & not need his KDub crutch.
Old 01-13-2013   #30
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Rep Power: 7456 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

As a huge fan an season ticket holder this year was SUPERBOWL OR BUST, it hurts deeply to say this buy we missed our chance for yrs to come. Aslong as we have Kubiak an Shaub we just had our best record ever... We held our own destiny an totally failed. So much time money n effort spent to be let down, oh well, Go Texans!
TexansBlood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we had more receivers, I think our offense would have been different. The kids look good, they're coming along. Next year, hopefully Kubiak will trust them & not need his KDub crutch.
I don't get it...

Matt schaub is a good qb right?

Who has he been throwing to all these years?

People complained about jacoby's development as a wr (not you). People have defended Walter's role on this offense.

We lost Dreesen. That's the only guy that there's a consensus on as him being a good player for us. But we replaced him with Grahm who looks pretty damn good.

Is this cast of wr's and te's and backs out of the backfield all that worse than when schaub was throwing for a bunch of yards and considered a borderline elite qb?

We used to play David Anderson. Andre Davis. We used to have Dayne out of the backfield. Andre used to be out a lot. Od missed time.

We used to move the ball freely in between the twenties with lesser talent and not as much experience on offense.

What has happened?

I have a few theories. What do you think?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #32
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

My main concern with this team is Kubiak's history of coaching like he HAS to win a shootout every time we play an elite Qb. We came out passing heavily today. Foster only ran the ball 22 times and Tate/Forsett didn't even get a touch.

This team had it's opportunity to play Houston Texans football and run the ball 35-40 times today to keep Brady off the field but we chose not to... just like we always choose not to do so when we are matched up against an elite QB.

We can win against these teams if we stick to what we do best. Hell, the team put out excellent effort today. They did the best New England Patriots impersonation they could but they somply aren't a shootout type team.

I keep hoping Kubiak will stop psyching himself out against elite QBs but who really thinks he will?
Old 01-13-2013   #33
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
My main concern with this team is Kubiak's history of coaching like he HAS to win a shootout every time we play an elite Qb. We came out passing heavily today. Foster only ran the ball 22 times and Tate/Forsett didn't even get a touch.

This team had it's opportunity to play Houston Texans football and run the ball 35-40 times today to keep Brady off the field but we chose not to... just like we always choose not to do so when we are matched up against an elite QB.

We can win against these teams if we stick to what we do best. Hell, the team put out excellent effort today. They did the best New England Patriots impersonation they could but they somply aren't a shootout type team.

I keep hoping Kubiak will stop psyching himself out against elite QBs but who really thinks he will?
It doesn't help confidence when the run game is getting demolished by Wilfork and Co. early on. Although in the 2nd Q it started to pick up
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #34
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

meh i would like to see some changes but since we did win 13 games in the RS and did pretty much be the **** out of our divison foes 5-1

i expect next year to be the same has this year get to the div round only 2 get bounced : (
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #35
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1490 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Better prepare to not be excited. Kubiak genuinely believes Walter is a true #2.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #36
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i cant wait to beat the **** out of the titans and jags agian ... : )
Old 01-14-2013   #37
AndyWin
Nguyenning

Rep Power: 2223 AndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respected

let's just fast forward to our wild card win against a mediocre team and our exit in the following game on the road

I can already see the gameday thread...
AndyWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #38
Norg
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post
let's just fast forward to our wild card win against a mediocre team and our exit in the following game on the road

I can already see the gameday thread...
wouldnt that be funny if we played Cincy agian LOL
Old 01-14-2013   #39
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
It doesn't help confidence when the run game is getting demolished by Wilfork and Co. early on. Although in the 2nd Q it started to pick up
Yeah. Foster didn't do anything in the first quarter. He was being stuffed every carry. Houston was down 17-3 when he had two carries for 40 yards late in the 2nd. That was the touchdown drive. After half-time, the game never got closer than 24-13 when the offense had the ball. It's hard to hand the ball off when you're down multiple scores. With all that Foster still had twenty-two carries. That's more than you can expect being down basically the whole game.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #40
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't get it...

Matt schaub is a good qb right?

Who has he been throwing to all these years?

People complained about jacoby's development as a wr (not you). People have defended Walter's role on this offense.

We lost Dreesen. That's the only guy that there's a consensus on as him being a good player for us. But we replaced him with Grahm who looks pretty damn good.

Is this cast of wr's and te's and backs out of the backfield all that worse than when schaub was throwing for a bunch of yards and considered a borderline elite qb?

We used to play David Anderson. Andre Davis. We used to have Dayne out of the backfield. Andre used to be out a lot. Od missed time.

We used to move the ball freely in between the twenties with lesser talent and not as much experience on offense.

What has happened?

I have a few theories. What do you think?
hmm I remember the season Schaub got hurt the first play of the game was a 80 yard bomb to Jacoby. People can say what they want but the kid helped open things up for AJ as well. He might not of been much of a threat but he had speed and it forced teams to play him close.

Of course back then we also had Winston and Brisel on the o-line and Schaub seemed to have all day to throw, so i dunno.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read