Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2013   #18
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well, that's a wrap. 2012 season final thoughts

It's funny, we completed the best season in Texans' football history and all of us upset. In my mind, that's a good thing. We're winners and we want a Superbowl Champion, not just a play-off team.

The GB and NE games exposed our weaknesses. Today's great offenses either have a QB that makes good decisions and has a great arm or one that has wheels and can maneuver in/out of the pocket to put pressure on the defense. Schaub IMHO has only an average arm and is only adequate decision-maker. When he escaped the pass rush today, rolled right and threw the ball away I almost choked on my beer. He's conditioned himself to throw the ball away vs trying to make a play. How can you ever come back with a QB that makes poor decisions and is as immobile as a 100-yr Oak? Maybe as some suggested he's been injured and can't do what he was doing early on. I'd say we need to bring in some competition or at least give TJ a shot.

I think the rest of our offense is not that bad. Yes, adding some OL help, another WR and a big TE could make us better, but unless we do something about our QB we're doomed to a nominee for Homecoming Queen, but always the 4th runner up.

On defense, we need Cush back. Next we need another ILB and OLB (Barwin replacement). I really think a real NT could help us tremendously. Guys like Wilfolk eat of space and push the line of scrimmage--our guys can't do that and that allows OL to get to our LBs and blow holes in our run defense.

Although I know it won't happen like this, here are what I think our priorities should be in the off-season...

1 - QB (Rookie or Vet to compete against Schaub and Yates)
2 - NT (Space eater to protect LBs and dominate interior)
3 - WR (Either FA or rookie)
4 - OT (RT to compete with Newton)
5 - OLB (Barwin replacement, someone to push current guys)
6 - TE (Looking for 6-5 or larger TE to help give us Red Zone target)
7 - ILB (With Cush and Sharp coming back, we need to add a young bone crusher to develop)

Frankly, I had more fun this season than any other. The last 6 weeks have been frustrating and as a fan I still don't understand why we fell apart. It almost seems that the Patriots stripped us of our manhood in that game and we just couldn't get our heads together after that. I hope we get our mojo back in the off-season and come back ready to kick some NFL-ass.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read