Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2013   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Well, that's a wrap. 2012 season final thoughts

That was actually a pretty good season. I think our limits were entirely in place the moment Matt Slauson decided that the easiest way to get Brian Cushing off his back was to cheap shot him out of the season but it was a good ride for the most part.

Usually when the Texans go on win streaks I am constantly watching things that we're getting away with but shouldn't be doing. Things we manage to win in spite of. Over the first 5 weeks I never really felt like that. I think I expected Schaub to have a little rust coming back and I kept looking for Wade's defense to drop off as I'd been told to expect but I never noticed it all that much. All of that changed in week 5 when Cushing went down. The next week the Packers just used us like toilet paper in prime time and I think we all knew that something had changed. The follow up beat-down of the Ravens was a blast though and the next two wins against Buffalo and Chicago almost had me thinking we were still going to be all right. Then the two OT games scared the crap out of me. Suddenly we start giving up 37 and 31 points a game and a clumsy win in Nashville didn't impress anybody. Hell at least it wasn't another OT game right?

Then the Patriots started the slow spiral down to the bottom of the bowl. 42-14 was about right. That's about how much better they are than us. That game broke the Texans season really. In a lot of ways it unmanned them. They bounced back from the Green Bay loss but they never came back from the beating New England gave them. Most of all Matt Schaub and the OL never came back. In the home win against the Colts that sealed up the division they still didn't look right. I mean, Foster looked great at the end and AJ was still rolling along proving to everyone that he wasn't too old to whip some ass but the OL wasn't protecting at all like they did before New England nor were they opening holes like before. Schaub looked like a shell of the guy who started the season. Worst of all the defense started to become terribly unreliable in crunch time. When you absolutely needed a stop it wasn't there. Against Minnesota and Indy the team threw their season away. Sure the Bengals WC round game is nice but ultimately it means nothing.

The Texans got no further this year than last year when they were balling with a 5th round rookie. Seasons like this that end with a bitter beating after having so much promise hang around. They tend to stick to the teams that endure them. This year was maybe the most straightforward path to the Super Bowl I've ever seen a Houston football team on. Win one of those two infinitely winnable games at the end and you play two home playoff games and force the Patriots and Broncos to play one another. To not succeed at that is a choke job of epic proportions and to think that it's possible that nobody at the top over there understands that is saddening. If this loss and the way this team stumbled down the stretch accomplished anything positive at all I'd hope it makes someone over there look in the mirror and question what they've been doing. The Texans have two enormous problems. They've got a sub-par QB who they just signed up for another four years with and their offensive line (and the philosophy it is based on) has issues that three Pro Bowl nods can't conceal. The right side of the line is a mess. I keep asking myself why was the RG position still being platooned this late in the year? All I can think of is that they don't have anybody they think is ready to play there so they aren't concerned with getting it to gel. I think they'll pick OL heavily next year. They thought they had promising young talent and none of it stepped up.

Even if they find the talent to fix it there's no guarantee that the league won't change the rules enough to force them into changing their philosophy. It might be better to start planning for a future without getting to cut the defenses legs out from under it.

I'm not unhappy with the results this year. I still think I saw progress but at the end of it all I also saw limitations revealed that have to be addressed. I'm ready to see the offense evolve into something other than a copy of the 1998 Broncos being run by a guy with no mobility. I'm ready to see the Texans defense send Barwin to the bench or somewhere else entirely in 2013. His drop-off in performance really hurt us. It's time to fix the Special Teams issues.

None of this is going to be terribly hard to resolve if Rick Smith is the GM the Texans seem to think he is. We need to go get a RG in free agency. We need to keep an eye open for a free agent WR. The rest we can draft or will get back when injured players return. We're still kind of young in most spots and we're going to get better.

Anyone else want to summarize what they're thinking? I don't want to tell people what they can or can't contribute to this thread but I'm more interested in what you're thinking than what you think about what I said. Try to focus on what you see and not debating others if you don't mind. Just a suggestion.
Old 01-13-2013   #2
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96229 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well, that's a wrap. 2012 season final thoughts

Only one major comment. Today, more than any other game, Cushing was missed. Lots of runs up the gut where Cushing makes a play that Ruud, et al simply were overmatched, and dragged for extra yards, or tackles completely missed.

It was a massive blow back then, and it came down to roost big time today. I know Schaub is the target right now, but the defense still gave up a ton of yards, points etc. Cushing may have made a huge dent in that. You can't discount the leadership void and talent divide.

From the outside looking in, your window is now and the best thing to not do is panic.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #3
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Zone blocking is dead. We been figured out by elite staffs. Qb needs an upgrade. Wr needs an upgrade. D is as good as it gets. No really the D is as good as it gets. This is an offense oriented league now
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #4
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh, I'm not going to say ZBS is dead.

That's what happens when you think you can get away with basically starting two rookies on the right side of the line. Getting average play from them is being lucky, forget about hoping they can replace the guys we had on that side...two very good players...

EDIT: Maybe they'll be better in the long run, we can hope at least.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Schaub's foot has affected his longevity. He was nails in the first half of the season, but as time wore on...I think the gimpy foot (even though it's "healed") has made it hard for him to move around AND throw--reliably--anything over 15 to 20 yards downfield. No other way to describe his inability to get the ball vertical. That pass was basically removed the past month and a half.

2. Kubiak is stuck. He's loyal, and so he probably genuinely thinks Matt is good-to-go, the thinks Matt just needed to get a feel for playoff football and all that jazz. Experience, I tell ya'! And by golly we'll get 'em next time.

It's always NEXT TIME.

3. I am surprised at the anger at Wade Phillips. For about the final 6 games, his defense was put to the test via Gary's offense being unable to sustain drives and put up a lead they could work with. That sort of thing, if sustained over a long period of time, is going to ruin guys in the defense. They're people, too. They have thoughts, too. They wonder to themselves why they are always doing the heavy lifting. Good thing is that they found the Andre Johnson of their defense, JJ WATT, who seemingly gives all-world performances even when everyone else is sort of standing around watching him do it.

4. Connor Barwin shouldn't be in this team. His only role was to contain the edge. I bet 90% of the time he puts two hands on the OL and then backs up and shuffles his feet, watching the QB. If Wade has him playing spy THAT much, then WOW! I might need to reevaluate my opinion of Wade as d-coord.

5. Posey deserves WR2 duties, the whole game. All season. He has proven he can do it, and he moves twice as fast as Walter does. Game over.

6. Defense needs 12 more LBs. Because they got injured all year long. In a 34 defense, the linebacker is King. Our King(s) got tumbled, and our offense couldn't pick up the slack for anything other than the 2nd Titans game which looking back on it, it seems weird that we won so convincingly. This means the Titans are, in deed, VERY bad.

7. Marciano should retire quietly. It took Manning putting the entire ST unit onto his own back in the Patriots playoff game to make something explosive happen for us in the kickoff game. We lost HFA, IMO, when the Colts returned a kickoff on us in the 2nd game. Granted, we won the first Colts game (perhaps) because of Braman's blocked punt that was a TD for us. Still, the penalties and the lack of inspired play and positive, consistent results, was saddening.

8. Manning and Joseph. What is their window? What is there contract situation? I'm scared about this. They are good. We need them forever. Period.

9. Tate. Hope we get a good deal for him, cuz he gone baby gone. I now think he wasn't played for two reasons: Foster wanted it all on his back, which is commendable, and because maybe the Texans FO did NOT want Tate blowing a knee or some other freak accident that harms his trade value. #conspiracy

10. We're at the top of the world with Kubiak. This is what it looks like. And I don't think he can find the next level. And I even think maybe he knows it, too. Shouldn't he? A little? Can he look at things and say "Man, we're GROWING. We're almost there. I'm excited!" Sure not. Probably so? I dunno.

I just wish I had some Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire to watch. I'm a moody muthersucka' right now. LOL. Wife says I'm PMS'ing. Pffft....women!
Old 01-13-2013   #6
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1720 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a good season. They peeked at the Chicago game.
Kareem and Watt made huge strides this year. Barwin and Reed were no shows.
Foster had a good not great year. He lost that breakaway speed but managed 17 TDs ill take that any year.
AJ had his best year yardage wise but the clock is ticking. The other receivers were non factors. Daniels was good not great.
Now to Shaub. If he gets behind in an important game he does not have the ability to bring em back. He looked great in the Denver and Ravens game impressive in the Jags and Lions game but down the stretch in our clinching games he was a NO SHOW. And that's concerning.

It was a good fun year but the writing was on the wall with 4 weeks left in the season. Till next year.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #7
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
It was a good fun year but the writing was on the wall with 4 weeks left in the season. Till next year.
Unfortunately only a handful of us saw it and called it as we saw it and were of course ridiculed for it.....

As we all know as Houston sports fans..."There is always next year"

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2013   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

What hurts the most: We had two chances at HFA and couldn't do it.

We even had a THIRD chance at HFA, via a Broncos loss to the Ravens in TWO OT periods nonetheless, and we couldn't do it.

Three times to get the AFCC game in Houston. Fail. Fail. Fail.

That's the ultimate death blow for my hopes and dreams. Inability to suck it up and get it done. That 1 yard is always the toughest.
Old 01-13-2013   #9
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

This team had a very good season. I'm hoping that they learn how to finish a season next year and not peak at week 6.

I honestly expected more injuries, but we got very lucky. Just means that we didn't execute with nearly all the healthy players. This defense right now has 1 playmaker in its front 7 and that scares me with all the draft picks we have in the first and second.

This was a fun season, but I don't see a change in the outcome without a #2 WR.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

The minute Cushing went down I knew we werent winning a super bowl. That night we lost Cush I actually felt worse than I do now to be honest.

The great new gents... Is JJ Watt is OURS. That man will keep us above .500 as a team almost by himself.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't trust Kubiak. After deciding that they'd be OK with both right side starters on the OL being scrubs, I don't trust his ability to plan properly. After watching his chosen QB fall apart, I don't trust his flexibility in personnel or scheme. I don't trust his game planning. I don't trust his play calling during the game. I don't trust that he'll put together an offense that scores in the red zone.

I spent all season trying to ignore my distrust of him. It was a good ride, but despite my best efforts to convince myself that this was a Super Bowl team, that GB loss stuck with me. The Pats loss after the couple games prior just convinced me it wasn't going to happen.

Still, the best football season in Houston since 1994. Now let's draft a QB.
Old 01-13-2013   #12
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Evolve or die. That's all.
Old 01-13-2013   #13
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm optomistic about our defense, especially getting Cushing back......and naturally JJ Watt as our foundation player for yrs to come. I'm good with Wade and he's proven that when his team is healthy - they play really well (unless you're playing GB or NE, although Cushing was out for these 2).

I'm pessimistic about our offense for numerous reasons - the number one reason is Matt Schaub. I don't think he can lead us thru the playoffs and to the Superbowl, let alone win it. He does not have the leadership, can't read defenses, has a weak arm and thus can't throw the deep ball for homerun explosive plays, over/under throws constantly, throws critical picks in big games, he is so immobile/uncoordinated it is quite pathetic, he's inconsistent and has nothing at all that resembles killer instinct.

The other reasons I'm pessimistic on O is at Wide receiver and running back...our number one WR is getting up in age and we don't have a legitimate # 2 WR, and Posey's now hurt. We dont have a legit # 2 running back. Even if you argue tate is - most agree he can't stay healthy or out of kube's dog house.....and he's probably gone.

Lastly, our O-line issues and Kubiak play calling.

I'm just not sure we can get to and win a SB with MS and Kubiak. Period.

You got to win now before the new set of Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings shut the door on you.....like perhaps Luck or Colin Kap or a healthy RG3......

Houston is wasting the careers of AJ, AF, OD, JJW etc.......

We used to have a great offense - but no defense.

Now we have a good defense, but no offense..........
Old 01-13-2013   #14
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Houston we have a Schaublem, he's just not going to get it done, and Kubiak has to change his style to get it done. After listening to his post game comments though I'm convinced we won't get it done under him.

Was a good season, but when it really comes to the top teams in the NFL, we just can't consistently beat them.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this team has gone as far as it can with this offense and this QB. I think Kubiak could make this a more dynamic offense with a more dynamic QB. The Shannys did in Washington. So I'm not ready to pull the plug on Kubiak (and it wouldn't matter if I was, he's not going anywhere). But this isn't getting any better with the current cast.

I think the defense needs to change some, as well. Smaller, quicker LBs with bigger, stronger DBs. Dump the overpriced guys who are not producing (Barwin, Cody, maybe Smith) for hungrier, younger players. Fresh blood is required.

The biggest mistake of the 2012 season was the Schaub extension. Wasn't necessary. He was never going to be a hot item in free agency. There was no need to not wait until the offseason. That contract will haunt this team for at least 2 years.
Old 01-13-2013   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think this team has gone as far as it can with this offense and this QB. I think Kubiak could make this a more dynamic offense with a more dynamic QB. The Shannys did in Washington. So I'm not ready to pull the plug on Kubiak (and it wouldn't matter if I was, he's not going anywhere). But this isn't getting any better with the current cast.

I think the defense needs to change some, as well. Smaller, quicker LBs with bigger, stronger DBs. Dump the overpriced guys who are not producing (Barwin, Cody, maybe Smith) for hungrier, younger players. Fresh blood is required.

The biggest mistake of the 2012 season was the Schaub extension. Wasn't necessary. He was never going to be a hot item in free agency. There was no need to not wait until the offseason. That contract will haunt this team for at least 2 years.
This about sums it up for mr except for dumping smith. He's our second best pass rusher. Would suck to get rid of him and not have any pass rush from anywhere else. Maybe re work his deal though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #17
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

This team had a great year. 13-5 a'int nothing to be ashamed of. But improvements must be made. And thats why this draft is so crucial. Get used to Matt Shaub because he is paid for the next couple of years. Accumulate weapons around him, and hope for a 2000 Ravens Trent Dilfer. This defense has shone early, then crashed when playing good talent like tonight's game. Like I said, evaluations have to be made, and I think that starts with not resigning Connor Barwin. I like the guy, but another team will overpay for him and we simply cannot afford that.
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #18
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

We need a legit RT and its not too early to start looking for a LG to replace Wade Smith he did not play at a pro bowl level even if he was selected.

We have to get a better pass rush from the OLB positions whether its from someone on the roster or an addition in the draft/free agency. JJ Watt will probably never have 20.5 sacks again and you can't expect it either.

WR whether that player is on the roster or we acquire him he not only has to play, but Matt has got to feel confident enough to throw him the ball. If our WR become more balanced that will make AJ more effective and give the defense that much more of the field to defend.

We need a true FB. Casey while he is a good receiver he is not the hammer that we had in Leach and the running game was not as dependable the past 2yrs as it was in 2010. It was a huge red flag that late in the year 3rd and 2 became a passing down with one of the best RB's in football in your backfield.

Getting Cushing back will be huge but we need another thumper at ILB to stop the run. Bradie James was not that guy and he was so bad in coverage when Cushing went down that we had a guy off the street playing Nickel/Dime LB late in the year.

In the draft we have to look at DL as well. Antonio Smith is in his 30's now and has one year left on his deal. I don't see the Texans signing him to another deal at the money he is making now at his age. Crick could be a productive player next year and beyond, but it never hurts to have competition at a premium position like DL.

Special Teams were ****ing terrible this year. The return game was non existent except for today, and we gave up 2 kickoff returns and 1 punt return td this year. That is way too many for a team trying to win a championship. I will be shocked if there is not a new coach in place for next season.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a bunch of Chicagoans that always ask me about the Texans because I lived in Houston despite my Cowboy background. I told them all the same thing 2 months back and on...if the Texans get home field they will get to the SB because it will be tough to beat them there. If they go to Baltimore, NE, Denver, etc, its over. I'll give you names. That has always been my opinion. Thought they blew a perfect window this year. JMO.
Old 01-13-2013   #20
checo446
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 checo446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to checo446

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

7. Marciano should retire quietly. It took Manning putting the entire ST unit onto his own back in the Patriots playoff game to make something explosive happen for us in the kickoff game. We lost HFA, IMO, when the Colts returned a kickoff on us in the 2nd game. Granted, we won the first Colts game (perhaps) because of Braman's blocked punt that was a TD for us. Still, the penalties and the lack of inspired play and positive, consistent results, was saddening.
This is something that hasn't been harped on enough. Our special teams has been awful this year. Outside of Manning's returns today, our field position as a whole has been awful, and we have given up multiple long returns throughout the year due to poor coverage. On the times we have gotten decent returns, usually they are brought back because holding or block in the back penalties.

Marciano needs to go and they need to bring in a focus on improving all aspects of the special teams, including getting rid of Graham and his inaccurate leg from over 50 yards (I was actually shocked when he got that 55 yarder today).
checo446 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read