Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2013   #41
ralph
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub and Wade Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
This team reminds me of the 2000 TB bucs...constantly kept falling short in the playoffs despite having 1 of if not the top defense in the league for years.. Made a coaching change and they finally broke thru.
You're crazy if you think this defense is the same as that TB D.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #42
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not ready to run Wade Phillips out of town just yet, I think injuries took their toll on the D moreso this year than last, Mario was a luxury piece but Cushing freed up Reed and Barwin to make plays off the edge and JJ Watt was beginning to find his feet around the time he went down too lowering the net loss.

I think we saw the loss of Cushing was about the worst thing that could happen to this D, even before you look at the leadership aspect simply the opportunities he opens up for other guys around him, the way that NT spot is covered for by him as well as the fact the OLB's have fewer responsibilities to take care of and so they can rush more effectively, its huge.

Then you look at the injury to Cody, not sure he ever got back to 100% and he isn't the best anyway. JoJo seemed to be nicked up all year long and not his usual self.

I really do believe that as far as the D goes, injuries were more hurtful than last season. ILB was a mess all season long and I think we need to look at that position and NT fairly early in the draft.

As far as Schaub, not really sure where Kubes will stand on that, I don't think he's the entire problem with the O, I think the line needs to improve a lot over the off-season and tbh I'm unsure whether that right side will improve with experience or whether it requires another overhaul. We've seen guys like Myers, Brown & Brisiel all take years to develop into quality players in this system so maybe we're best off developing what we've got.

I think Kubiak's scheme has gone down a couple of dead ends as well. Plenty of QB's set to be available this year, whether any of them are an upgrade over Schaub is debatable, and whether they are affordable is another thing entirely. Alex Smith has a similar issue with racking up great stats as Schaub does to me, and his hit rate of being successful under different O-co's is cause for worry. Vick would be interesting in this system because I genuinely believe his athleticism would be dynamite, but he's no better as a passer than Schaub. At least we have Yates to back him up in case of injury though. Matt Flynn might be do-able, think he's set to make ~$5.5m next season and is only signed through the next 2 years, meaning we wouldn't be setting ourselves up for years of misery if he becomes the next Cassel/Kolb/Schaub backup QB signing (I jest a little putting Schaub in that catagory, I'd actually say the trade we made was a success because he's brought us a long way, health, age and possibly temperament are the only things that stop me thinking he can take us to the next level.)

The number of holes we have on this team, especially when you consider the upcoming FA's, make it hard to start taking flyers on high round QB's if they don't have special talent. On the other hand we do have Yates who can at least game manage our way to a respectable record if any move to replace Schaub doesn't work out.

I don't want to get too reactionary, this team has come a long way, the transition to the 3-4 D still hasn't been given the full chance to develop as the personnel still don't fit at a number of positions in the front 7, both with a couple of starters and a number of backups.

So Wade gets a pass, Schaub should be replaced if feaseable, but my god did that extension **** this franchise up in terms of options. Had we waited until now his asking price would have dropped considerably, and we'd have seen zero cost to letting him walk.

I'd sure like to be in position to take Flynn at $5.5m right now and keep on drafting mid-round QBs at low cost until we get our guy. Would have looked very nice on the cap number too.

This regime screwed the pooch by pulling the trigger too early, and whilst we know it ain't gonna happen this offseason, there is every chance that that will be the one decision that will orchestrate their eventual downfall. Taken a liberty with the cap situation as well as the most important position in the game. Schaub is beyond his not considerable peak, thanks for what you've done for the franchise Matt, but he should be clearing his locker room tomorrow instead of causing us this huge headache, and that isn't his fault, its on Gary and Rick.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #43
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Funny that you say we aren't built like the 4 Super Bowl winners. That's how teams win. They put their money on the guy that touches the ball on every play. You explained the problem in your second paragraph.
Because it is very hard to find an elite QB... We have a good QB but not an elite one. We are built to win like the Ravens, the Giants, the Steelers, the 49ers, the Seahawks...

that's how our cap money and talent is allocated. What moves would you have made differently? Hall of fame QBs don't grow on trees.
Old 01-13-2013   #44
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They got a team that can compete and win any game. The Texans don't have that.
Yet they were upset in a game that they pretty much dominated...the same for GB with aaron rodgers. I keep telling everyone on here that Its just not as simple as finding a better qb....our defense was exposed tonite...our coach was exposed tonite. How does a better qb overcome those 2 variables?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #45
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Because it is very hard to find an elite QB... We have a good QB but not an elite one. We are built to win like the Ravens, the Giants, the Steelers, the 49ers, the Seahawks...

that's how our cap money and talent is allocated. What moves would you have made differently? Hall of fame QBs don't grow on trees.
extending a guy who hadnt won a playoff game was a bad move. flacco not extended. flacco will play next weekend.
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #46
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yet they were upset in a game that they pretty much dominated...the same for GB with aaron rodgers. I keep telling everyone on here that Its just not as simple as finding a better qb....our defense was exposed tonite...our coach was exposed tonite. How does a better qb overcome those 2 variables?
rodgers in our O? lol
Old 01-13-2013   #47
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Im sorry but I don't buy that we changed our entire play book and stopped looking deep, I think Schaub just stopped throwing deep....nothing to do with play calling, the dude still has to execute the plays...

I will say Gary made some stupid calls, like constantly running straight at Wilfork, or continuing to throw wr screens when dbs were in press coverage.....thats inexcusable, but the deep throws IMO are a result of Schaub being an idiot
Agreed. Not sure why, but the 2009 Schaub used to throw deep take a few chances. The 2012 Schaub looks to check down way too much. Seems like if Schaub sees deep safety play, he won't go deep. That tells me he has little confidence in his own arm strength. And what good is a QB who doesn't have faith in his own damned arm?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
rodgers in our O? lol
The problem is if you have Rodgers, you'd have to cut 2/3 of the guys on the O.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #49
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, the lack of deep passing plays is a result of Schaub's physical limitations and how teams are starting to play him. They are not worried about the deep stuff anymore, because Schaub doesn't have the arm strength or the quick throwing motion to make it work. It's a representation of how teams have adapted to our offense. It started mid-season and is now the new blueprint.
Yeah, and to compound matters, Schaub knows it too. He rarely throws deep if he sees safeties over the top. A couple of plays this game, AJ was furious because he was single covered and Schaub wouldn't pull the trigger on the deep throw.
Old 01-13-2013   #50
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
this team was out coached on both sides of the ball. Schaub's dinking and dunking a reflection of Kubiaks no risk/no reward style.
Agreed. How is it you have a QB who throws for 4K yards, one of the best receivers in the game, one of the bests LT's in the game, one of the best running backs in the game, the best DE in the game, and one of the best CB's in the game and get rolled by the Pats?

Any other coach in the NFL would have multiple SB's. Gary Kubiak is no better than Jerry Glanville.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #51
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
rodgers in our O? lol
Of course we're better on offense but i fail to see how rodgers or any other qb overcomes kubiak's dumb play calling and WR's dropping passes.....or our defense getting a 40 spot hung on em'.

Last night we saw what a great defense in SF is supposed to do to an elite qb..our defense was no where close to SF's defensive performance today...and Rodgers could do little to overcome SF's defense either...or his own defense's performance for that matter. does that mean he sux?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

In case people haven't noticed this is an offensive league these days.

Not many defenses these days are going to consistently hold opposing offenses to 21 or fewer.

You either get with it or get lost. If you can't throw up 35+ against some of these good teams then you're just going to get left behind.

This isnt your grandpappy's NFL.

Offenses that can't spark it up in big games against good teams are going the way of the dodo.

Schaub is a dinosaur.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #53
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Agreed. How is it you have a QB who throws for 4K yards, one of the best receivers in the game, one of the bests LT's in the game, one of the best running backs in the game, the best DE in the game, and one of the best CB's in the game and get rolled by the Pats?

Any other coach in the NFL would have multiple SB's. Gary Kubiak is no better than Jerry Glanville.
Because the guy coaching the Pats was winning Super Bowls when Schaub was still in college and Kubiak was still relaying plays for Shanahan in Denver. You give Belichick TWO WEEKS to prepare a game plan and Brady TWO WEEKS to figure out your defensive tendencies, they will beat you.

It's really that simple
Old 01-13-2013   #54
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
well rodgers dont need AJS salary
Old 01-13-2013   #55
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
nor fosters
Old 01-13-2013   #56
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 15724 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

what if the pats just steamroll their way to a super bowl victory?

i hope that doesn't give kubiak/wade/smith the "well, we lost to the champs" excuse
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #57
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And I have stated that we need to look hard at both our QB and our defensive coordinator. It does start with the quartberback though, especially long-term money decisions.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #58
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Kubiak's Texans offense reminds me of Richie Kotite and the washed up Boomer Esiason Jets offense back in '95

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #59
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Because the guy coaching the Pats was winning Super Bowls when Schaub was still in college and Kubiak was still relaying plays for Shanahan in Denver. You give Belichick TWO WEEKS to prepare a game plan and Brady TWO WEEKS to figure out your defensive tendencies, they will beat you.

It's really that simple
Bull hockey. It's not Belichik it's Kubiak's ineptitude. I bet you the Ravens beat the Patriots next week.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #60
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bull hockey. It's not Belichik it's Kubiak's ineptitude. I bet you the Ravens beat the Patriots next week.
No way man, the Ravens have worse players in their secondary than we do. Granted, I am sure they won't make the dumb mistake of playing man coverage all game but still.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read