Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2013   #21
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What moves do you think will be made if any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
I don't think we know yet the type of owner Bob will be, but we will find out over the next few years. Is he the type who is going to demand excellence And continued improvement, or is he going to be the type that is OK with a modicum of success.

Hopefully it is the former, as I do not want our team to be another Chargers/Norv Turner-type situation.
Here is your answer.
Old 01-13-2013   #22
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think we know yet the type of owner Bob will be, but we will find out over the next few years. Is he the type who is going to demand excellence or is he going to be the type that is OK with a modicum of success.

Hopefully it is the former, as I do not want our team to be another Chargers/Norv Turner-type situation.
The Chargers are what you DON'T want to do.

They got rid of a goodcoach for one that has taken the team backwards every year after that. The Chargers did what some people are asking the Texans to do by getting rid of Kubiak.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think we know yet the type of owner Bob will be, but we will find out over the next few years. Is he the type who is going to demand excellence And continued improvement, or is he going to be the type that is OK with a modicum of success.

We're the Bengals classier, richer cousin.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #24
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Even some colts fans will tell you they've had a really fortunate season. I can't believe any one will be handing them the title.

We've seen a lot of teams have one good season then crash back to earth the next.
so you expect schaub to get better and luck regress? one game difference this year
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #25
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
so you expect schaub to get better and luck regress? one game difference this year
No, Football is a team game though. You act like the Texans don't have elite players on the field. The Colts have one in Reggie Wayne.

Luck is not a elite player. Success is not guaranteed for him.

Perhaps Schaub is not going to get better. But Watt is a 2nd year player. The league better hopes he doesn't get better. Foster is still around. Andre is still around. Cushing will be back. You don't believe in those guys? Maybe the right side of the Oline will be back.

Point is, the team can get better.
Old 01-13-2013   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, Football is a team game though. You act like the Texans don't have elite players on the field. The Colts have one in Reggie Wayne.

Luck is not a elite player. Success is not guaranteed for him.

Perhaps Schaub is not going to get better. But Watt is a 2nd year player. The league better hopes he doesn't get better. Foster is still around. Andre is still around. Cushing will be back. You don't believe in those guys? Maybe the right side of the Oline will be back.

Point is, the team can get better.
He sure looks like a budding elite player to me.

Old 01-13-2013   #27
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He sure looks like a budding elite player to me.
He has the potential but if he were to never get better you're taking him over true elite QBs?

I mean if we are calling him elite it pretty much means you wouldn't trade him for anyone for that single season. He has a ways to go to be a elite QB in the NFL.

We've seen rookies have a good year and then don't follow it up on it. Cam had an amazing rookie year for instance...
Old 01-13-2013   #28
Naiirb
All Pro

Rep Power: 2331 Naiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully they do something about our pass rush. Our OLB's really stinked it up this year.
Naiirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #29
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
He has the potential but if he were to never get better you're taking him over true elite QBs?

I mean if we are calling him elite it pretty much means you wouldn't trade him for anyone for that single season. He has a ways to go to be a elite QB in the NFL.

We've seen rookies have a good year and then don't follow it up on it. Cam had an amazing rookie year for instance...
Cam finished pretty darn well and I'd take him in a heartbeat. I've been watching the game since the early 70's....dude looks pretty promising to me. I don't think he's Gifford Neilson. Wish what you want though...

Old 01-13-2013   #30
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168713 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
I think the OP was asking about the Texans, not southern California or the U.S. Congress.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #31
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans might look at a free agent WR. I'm not saying we won't draft a WR but I think we won't draft one early. I think we go OL or LB in the first. The right side of the OL killed us all year long and Rashad Butler isn't gonna make it all better when he comes back. The Texans platooned the RG position all year long for a reason and I think that's because nobody claimed the spot outright. They'll go get more help there.

LB speaks for itself. Past Cushing we've got issues on the inside. James and Ruud are both good players but they're older and not going to be here long. I'm positive we go get another ILB. Maybe we get a RG or ILB in free agency but I think more likely draft there.
Old 01-13-2013   #32
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

This is ridiculous. Luck in year 1 is the best QB in the AFC South. Worst part is he will only get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think the Texans might look at a free agent WR. I'm not saying we won't draft a WR but I think we won't draft one early. I think we go OL or LB in the first. The right side of the OL killed us all year long and Rashad Butler isn't gonna make it all better when he comes back. The Texans platooned the RG position all year long for a reason and I think that's because nobody claimed the spot outright. They'll go get more help there.

LB speaks for itself. Past Cushing we've got issues on the inside. James and Ruud are both good players but they're older and not going to be here long. I'm positive we go get another ILB. Maybe we get a RG or ILB in free agency but I think more likely draft there.
agree with all of that but this slow, plodding offense needs speed, speed, speed. It was embarrassing watching this team nickle and dime it down the field without any ability to go deep. They need a Speed WR and some quickness in the slot in a big way.

Old 01-13-2013   #34
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Cam finished pretty darn well and I'd take him in a heartbeat. I've been watching the game since the early 70's....dude looks pretty promising to me. I don't think he's Gifford Neilson. Wish what you want though...
Well if the question was would you take Cam over Schaub I'd be surprised if anyone would take Schaub.

But we are talking about if the Colts will be better than the Texans next year. Not how many QBs we'd take over Schaub. It's not wishing anything either, it's he hasn't proven it yet. People think he's the next Peyton Manning, that's hopeful wishing if anything.

Meanwhile the Texans have a lot more proven quantities, especially a 2nd year player that had one of the best years ever as a defensive player. The Colts should be worry about that guy because he's a top player in the NFL right now.
Old 01-13-2013   #35
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcore View Post
Kubes will go down with the sinking ship that is Shaub.

I don't know who is coming out of college this year that is worth a good hard look, but I say screw it, and trade what picks you have for the rights to draft a top rookie QB.
I don't think there is a single QB worthy of trading picks for. The top QBs could still be on the board at the end of the 1st round, but I'm not sold on any of them being a long term answer.
Old 01-13-2013   #36
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

sadly not much
Old 01-13-2013   #37
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I don't think there is a single QB worthy of trading picks for. The top QBs could still be on the board at the end of the 1st round, but I'm not sold on any of them being a long term answer.
People weren't sold on Russell Wilson either.

I wouldn't be mad at the team for taking a shot at a QB, especially if one of the top 5 falls to us.
Old 01-13-2013   #38
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
This is ridiculous. Luck in year 1 is the best QB in the AFC South. Worst part is he will only get better.
That's one possibility. There've been a lot of QBs that looked very good early, but didn't progress. The league will have the book on him so we'll see how he adapts next year. He had a lot of INTs and will need to cut those down for the team to compete.

I realize the Colts were only 1 game behind us in the standings, but they had a negative point differential and a bad turnover margin. They won't continue to "luck" into these wins if those stats continue.
Old 01-13-2013   #39
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
agree with all of that but this slow, plodding offense needs speed, speed, speed. It was embarrassing watching this team nickle and dime it down the field without any ability to go deep. They need a Speed WR and some quickness in the slot in a big way.
Yeah, we're slow. We're the Kevin Walter of offenses. Slow and steady wins the WC round as they say. I think we'll look at who is out there and maybe grab a guy like (about to throw up in my mouth a little) Jacoby Jones who has worn his welcome out somewhere but who is fast and maybe could stretch the field here and flourish in a new setting. Then we'll ignore him most of the year and keep throwing the ball to AJ, OD, and Walter.
Old 01-13-2013   #40
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Rick Smith, Kubiak, Wade, and Schaub will all be back next year. If there are changes, it will be to someone other than those guys. Excluding our obvious stars of course. There will be some of the coaching staff leave, there always is.

Not that I like what I just said, but to think otherwise is foolish.
This^^^^^^^! Unfortunately, we will still have Rick Smith on board this next year, and I can assure you, he will screw something up! BET on it!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read