Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-12-2013   #101
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Packers at Niners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I'll admit, I disliked Alex Smith losing his job through no real fault of his own, especially at a time when the NFL is trying to encourage player safety (debatable). Smith followed the rules and here came Kaepernick.

However, as I type I have a hard time saying Harbaugh was wrong. The kid has dimensions to his game Smith does not. Harbaugh risked a lot making this call.

Thoughts?
Back when he made the call, I said it was a mistake.

This is why I don't coach for a living. Obviously.

Russell Wilson and Kapernicky are, possibly, the future prototype of NFL QBs. Vince Young was also a playmaker, but he had no passing skills and was a head case.

Cautionary tales though: Vick's body is taking a body, so whatever passing skills he had are now limited because of his inability to simply stay on the field and out of danger. RGIII is also suffering from his own brand of playmaking ability.

Guys who can run but know when to duck out of bounds, guys who run but know when to hit the turf and take a sack, etc., they can play awhile. Steve Young did it until he took a few too many nasty hits to the dome. Brees seems to be the best playmaking QB who knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Wilson and Kaperninsky are going to have to really stay disciplined and continue to grow as passers. Maybe the defenses in the NFL figure these guys out next year. Maybe they don't.

But right now, when guys like Johnny Manziel (TAMU) account for over 500 yards of production, and when guys like Kapernaut account for over 400 yards of production, it makes you think that with then NFL rules so slanted toward protecting QBs.......why NOT take a chance on this type of QB? Makes a lot of sense to me.

Or use a Sloth-type pocket passer. Who gets injured on a simple QB sneak, or folds up under a 3-man pass rush with the nearest guy 3 yards from him.
Old 01-12-2013   #102
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Minnesota
Vikings
Yes, may the force be with you

General Dodonna
Old 01-12-2013   #103
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #104
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Back when he made the call, I said it was a mistake.

This is why I don't coach for a living. Obviously.

Russell Wilson and Kapernicky are, possibly, the future prototype of NFL QBs. Vince Young was also a playmaker, but he had no passing skills and was a head case.

Cautionary tales though: Vick's body is taking a body, so whatever passing skills he had are now limited because of his inability to simply stay on the field and out of danger. RGIII is also suffering from his own brand of playmaking ability.

Guys who can run but know when to duck out of bounds, guys who run but know when to hit the turf and take a sack, etc., they can play awhile. Steve Young did it until he took a few too many nasty hits to the dome. Brees seems to be the best playmaking QB who knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Wilson and Kaperninsky are going to have to really stay disciplined and continue to grow as passers. Maybe the defenses in the NFL figure these guys out next year. Maybe they don't.

But right now, when guys like Johnny Manziel (TAMU) account for over 500 yards of production, and when guys like Kapernaut account for over 400 yards of production, it makes you think that with then NFL rules so slanted toward protecting QBs.......why NOT take a chance on this type of QB? Makes a lot of sense to me.

Or use a Sloth-type pocket passer. Who gets injured on a simple QB sneak, or folds up under a 3-man pass rush with the nearest guy 3 yards from him.

Sounds great....but these new "running" qb's are fools gold....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #105
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Minnesota
Vikings
Yep, that's kinda dense.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #106
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Kaepernick is not just a scrambling QB.
He's a QB that can also run.
Yep

Kaepernick is like Vick, except he is big enough to withstand the pounding and of course he has a brain.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #107
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep

Kaepernick is like Vick, except he is big enough to withstand the pounding and of course he has a brain.
Kaepernick seems like he has a great awareness of what is going on. He never seems to make a bad play and force stuff.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #108
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 167815 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Am I witnessing the beginning of the end of the pocket passer in the NFL??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I agree the pocket passer is not going anywhere anytime soon, but I think it's fair to say the 'running QB' has taken on a different dimension of sorts this year.

IMO, the concept is evolving, where it will end up is anyone's guess.
FOX touched on this just now and I have to agree. The gist of what they said was "we'll look back on this moment right now and say......."

I don't think the new QB is a "running QB," but more skilled than a rabbit trying to out-dart a fox.

No sir, and as you hinted, we are seeing a different, more skilled QB of a different mode than a "running QB."

I hope you saved your money, Matt Schaub, love ya.
Old 01-12-2013   #109
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yep, that's kinda dense.
Nah,
I wasn't consistent with my nomenclature.
Old 01-12-2013   #110
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep

I'm sure he could take a pounding steelb but the thing is, he's not even being touched. Did you see the designed run from mid field. He ran down the seem without anyone laying a finger on him. I'm sure he's taken a lick here-n-there but he's by no means taking a pounding.

Oh, and yeah, there's that brain thing goin' on too.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read