Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2013   #61
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why is it on Schaub and not the D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
I hear you infantry, but you and I both know it's not just stats.
It's that quality not easily identifiable. Brady has it. Rodgers has it. Peyton has it. Terry Bradshaw had it. Staubach had it. Elway had it. Luck will probably have it. Wilson will have it. RGIII will probably have it.
Schaub will never have it, sorry.
I hope and pray he proves me and all doubters wrong this weekend. I want nothing more than a win against NE. I tell ya I'd feel a whole lot better about our chances if we had that elite QB.
You throw 4 or 5 hundred yards a game and still walk away with an L, what the hell do those numbers really matter for?
I wasn't making a comment on the QBs but on the system. Since you bring it up however, the system worked when we had no running game because if there is one thing Schaub stands out on it is the quality of his play fake.
Old 01-12-2013   #62
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I wasn't making a comment on the QBs but on the system. Since you bring it up however, the system worked when we had no running game because if there is one thing Schaub stands out on it is the quality of his play fake.
I'll give you that, but if the run game's chugging along nicely I'm sure it makes Schaub's sales a little easier. Vice versa, if Schaub were a deadly accurate QB, with mobility/scrambling ability shown by the likes of Wilson, wouldn't that create less pressure on the receivers, because you can't go all out on the pass coverage if you have a mobile and accurate, running QB. Plus, I believe it would open up the running game more.
Again, the system would be SO much better with that elite QB, IMO.
As it stands, one tiny glitch and the cards come tumbling down.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #63
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its on the team not any specific unit or person.

Although, the offense isn't helping the D by producing drives that give rest and help some with field position.

I'm watching the 1st Colts game again & a sequence in the 2nd quarter is indicitive of how the struggles of the offense are hurting the D.

The Texans are shutting the Colts down into the 2nd when a penalty on a punt return forces us to start our drive inside the 10. We go 3 & out and a horrible punt gives the Colts the ball back at the 35. We force a fumble at the goalline and get the ball back. Again, a 3 & out for us and the Colts once again get good field position. This time they end up with a FG.

If the offense could have moved the ball at all it could have prevented the scoring play by Indy.

This brings up 2 more units that are more to blame in my mind: special teams and coaching.

Our field position continues to be IMO the worst in the league. If we'd kneel in the endzone everytime we'd be better off.
Old 01-12-2013   #64
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The D was supposed to continue their domination this year.
Put them on the murderous list.

Can you remember how this D was supposed to claim the number one spot on the NFL this year?

Wasn't that what you counted on for the Texans to make it to the SB before the season started?
Well i expected the offense and defense to be as equally dominant. Remember when our offense carried the team ? I expect all 3 phases of the game to play equally as well. Is that to much to ask ? We do after all have plenty of talent on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 01-12-2013   #65
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 57187 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agree! throwing a pick in a play-off game is not good.
Ask Brady when he threw one against the Jets and 3 times against the Chargers.
And yet Brady was clutch and won 3 super bowls...has Schaub?
Old 01-12-2013   #66
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 57187 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You guys keep avoiding the questions.

1. What is the role of the D on this team?
2. What is the role of Schaub on this team?

If you want to point your fingers wherever, it's your choice.

Have fun at it.
How about the fact that when our offense sucks, they leave our defense out to dry and force them to play forever. When our offense roles we control the TOP. It works hand in hand, but falls on our qb. He needs to score touchdowns and stop being so damn inaccurate. Our defense has had lapses, and they are held accountable, people on this site ***** about them too, the difference is, Schaub has always sucked, he isn't getting better, and still fails to do anything good in the bight lights. He is a choker

Ever notice we win when Foster goes over 100 yards....thats because he carries this team, not Schaub
Old 01-12-2013   #67
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can't deny that, but it did show some signs of having a heart beat last weekend.
No doubt Kubiak has to change our all too predictable offensive scheme. But, how do you change something that we must rely on, namely the run and what that sets up if its successful?
I just hope if in our first or second drives Kubiak recognizes certain schemes that may or may not have success.
How many run plays on the right side did we see Foster make against NE last time? Could have been the left, all I know is it wasn't working worth a damn, and it kept getting called.
Wish we would put AJ, Jean, Posey out there on PA have a lot better shot to go dee that way. Against the bengals Schaub would roll out and it would look like he was about to sling it deep and then he would throw it 5 yards down the field. Want to see some deep stuff tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2013   #68
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Key tomorrow is get Af ON FIRE EARLY......................it should open pass game up with MS. Pats defense can be had but will Gary use the tools on offense to adjust to Pats d? Sometimes wonder bout his game planning.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I'd say because last time we played them the D got back to back to back 3 and out and the Offense got zero points out of those possesions. D can stop them all day but if the Offense don't put points on the board we lose.
& Let's not forget, The Patriots D is among the worst in the league. Our offense should have had a better showing than what we did.

The offense also did not show up against the Vikings or the Colts.... that's what lost us home field through out.

Sure, the defense could have played a little better in all three games but lets be honest.

of the 12 wins, the defense dominated & paved the way for the offense in 10 of them.

I want more talent on the offense, or I want more "winners" on offense. I think the last two seasons are going to go a long way towards improving what I've been calling "pedigree" so we'll see.

But talent wise, really we're stacked on offense. 3 pro bowl offensive lineman, sure Wade Smith is questionable, & he's been struggling with injuries.... but it is what it is. Andre Johnson, arguably the best at his position & he's about as seasoned as they come. The Arian, again arguably the best at his position.

Both Andre & Arian have had great games recently. The only person we haven't seen step up... actually he looks like he's regressed, is our Pro Bowl QB.

I honestly don't think we'd have seen any difference in the last 4 games had we played Tj Yates.

Yeah, yeah, go ahead & start with the Tj Yates hate, but how you going to tell me two INTs vs Indianapolis, that pick six vs Cincy, the no show vs Minnesota.... how you going to tell me Tj would have been worse?

What has Matt done that Tj wouldn't have?

Now, I'm good with Matt taking the snaps, I've seen him play at a much higher level. Haven't seen as much from Tj..... all I'm saying, is that it's past time for this guy to step it up. I think it's in him,

"But we're running out of time Chavez"

It's time for the leader to step up.
Old 01-12-2013   #70
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& Let's not forget, The Patriots D is among the worst in the league. Our offense should have had a better showing than what we did.

The offense also did not show up against the Vikings or the Colts.... that's what lost us home field through out.

Sure, the defense could have played a little better in all three games but lets be honest.

of the 12 wins, the defense dominated & paved the way for the offense in 10 of them.

I want more talent on the offense, or I want more "winners" on offense. I think the last two seasons are going to go a long way towards improving what I've been calling "pedigree" so we'll see.

But talent wise, really we're stacked on offense. 3 pro bowl offensive lineman, sure Wade Smith is questionable, & he's been struggling with injuries.... but it is what it is. Andre Johnson, arguably the best at his position & he's about as seasoned as they come. The Arian, again arguably the best at his position.

Both Andre & Arian have had great games recently. The only person we haven't seen step up... actually he looks like he's regressed, is our Pro Bowl QB.

I honestly don't think we'd have seen any difference in the last 4 games had we played Tj Yates.

Yeah, yeah, go ahead & start with the Tj Yates hate, but how you going to tell me two INTs vs Indianapolis, that pick six vs Cincy, the no show vs Minnesota.... how you going to tell me Tj would have been worse?

Now, I'm good with Matt taking the snaps, I've seen him play at a much higher level. Haven't seen as much from Tj..... all I'm saying, is that it's past time for this guy to step it up. I think it's in him,

thunderkyss I agree. Glad you see Pats D is one of the worse. I feel Houston has the weapons to score major points on them. Gary cannot be scared of success.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brady had thrown for 3 INTs 3 times, 2 INTs twice, and one Int 7 times in the play-offs.

(Somebody double check it please).
Hey, was that the game they whup'd our ass in on Monday night a few weeks ago?

Was that one of the games between then & now?

If not, does it really matter?

We're talking about Schaub's play not instilling confidence in anyone here & find it hard to believe there's any confidence in the locker room based on anything but hope & prayer.
Old 01-12-2013   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan13 View Post
IMO it isn't fair to compare Schaub to Brady, there is a good chance that when Brady is done he will be hands down the GOAT of all time, I could even make a case that he is right now.
Sorry, he's not even the GORN

He's good. One of the 4 best of 2012, but no.
Old 01-12-2013   #73
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:

Yep and dont forget all the turnovers our D was forcing at the start of the season and providing the offense with a short field. As the turnover went away so did our ability to put up a lot of points.
Old 01-12-2013   #74
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey, was that the game they whup'd our ass in on Monday night a few weeks ago?

Was that one of the games between then & now?

If not, does it really matter?

We're talking about Schaub's play not instilling confidence in anyone here & find it hard to believe there's any confidence in the locker room based on anything but hope & prayer.
Fans confidence doesn't win games.

This team is built to win with the D, and a combination of the run and pass.

For the longest time, these same posters argued that the Texans are a run first team.

Now, all of a sudden, they want Schaub to be Brady.
Schaub is normally good for an INT a game.
You hope he doesn't, but you shouldn't be surprised when he does.

If he plays worse, while the rest of the team do their jobs then chew him out for all I care.

Everybody has the right to name their own scape goat; similarly, I reserve the right to disagree (see Myers, Jackson, Allen, Harris, Pollard, Wilson, etc.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #75
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Bigger question for me -- Are the Texans a bit of a one man team?

Where would we be without the once-in-a-lifetime season that J.J. Watt had?

Where would this defense be without Watt?

(Probably needs to be its own topic.)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I'll give you that, but if the run game's chugging along nicely I'm sure it makes Schaub's sales a little easier. Vice versa, if Schaub were a deadly accurate QB, with mobility/scrambling ability shown by the likes of Wilson, wouldn't that create less pressure on the receivers, because you can't go all out on the pass coverage if you have a mobile and accurate, running QB. Plus, I believe it would open up the running game more.
Again, the system would be SO much better with that elite QB, IMO.
As it stands, one tiny glitch and the cards come tumbling down.
Honestly, this league has seen so many Russell Wilsons that I'd thought fans would give the guy a year or two before going gaga over them. Dude's got talent, but is there a coach out there that can maximize it over the long term?

I don't know, haven't seen him yet. A lot of Wilson's success, is because he's "new" & we just don't know what to expect from him from a defensive stand point. The league will figure him out. The same way they figured out Young, the same way they figured out Newman, the same way the figured out Romo, and Vick.

There are more Moons, & Rivers, Warners, and Cutlers that flirt with Success, than there are Randall Cunnnighams.

Think about it, we're starting to change our ideas now about who we thought Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, & Newton are.
Old 01-12-2013   #77
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

For the longest time, these same posters argued that the Texans are a run first team.

If he plays worse, while the rest of the team do their jobs then chew him out for all I care.

Everybody has the right to name their own scape goat; similarly, I reserve the right to disagree (see Myers, Jackson, Allen, Harris, Pollard, Wilson, etc.)
You are like a broken record with this. Seriously, name a single person that has said this. You can't! So stop acting like everyone that disagrees with you expects Schaub to play like Brady or Manning or any other elite QB.

You are just trying to justify your point of view by making stuff up.
Old 01-12-2013   #78
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
This brings up 2 more units that are more to blame in my mind: special teams and coaching.

Our field position continues to be IMO the worst in the league. If we'd kneel in the endzone everytime we'd be better off.
People are forgetting our horrid ST and field position game. We short changed ourselves 10-15 yds on every change of possession. How you like your odds of winning a race when your opponents is allowed that much of a head start on every relay?
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Who said it does?
Quote:
Is that why we hired an offensive guru as head coach? Given him carte blanche from hiring a GM to towel boys? Gave up two 2nd round picks then a bucket of money for a back-up QB? Spent a first on a LT, two thirds on two other tackles that are no longer with this team?

This team was built to have a dominant run game & a good defense. We spent so many draft picks on defensive players because the coaching was horrible up until last year.

Quote:

Who's asking him to be Brady? We'd be happy if he'd be Romo (I would), Ryan, Flacco, Bradford, I'd be happy if he would play like Chad freak'n Pennington right now.
Quote:
That's what's been happening. That's exactly what's been happening & that's why the spotlight is on Schaub.
Quote:
& I was in the Chris Myers fan club before you. I was in the Kareem Jackson fan club before you. I was in the Jason Allen isn't a starter club before you.

What's your point?

Everybody but you see a drop off in Schaub's playing but you. Even the stats show a drop off in QB rating. Jj Watt is pretty much writing history, so is Foster, so is Andre...

Where's our QB?

Can we win without Schaub playing like a pro bowler? Yeah... but it would be much easier if he would.
Old 01-12-2013   #80
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You are like a broken record with this. Seriously, name a single person that has said this. You can't! So stop acting like everyone that disagrees with you expects Schaub to play like Brady or Manning or any other elite QB.

You are just trying to justify your point of view by making stuff up.
Exactly. We are looking for the Matt Schaub of the first 12 games, who had 21 tds and 9 ints when the team averaged 30ppg. Not the version from the the last 5 games who has thrown one td and 4 picks while the team averaged less than 17 ppg. We're asking Matt Schaub to man up and play like a good NFL QB again.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read