Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2013   #41
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why is it on Schaub and not the D?

41-34. San frans elite D gave up 34 points to Brady. However their Offense scored 41 so they won. It's on schaub cause he's gotta get points on the board.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
I know we're stuck with Schaub, but wouldn't the Texans benefit immensely from an elite type QB?
Yes, Schaub's good at the play action.
You bring in a guy like Eli then you basically lose OD and maybe Walter too with no replacement because you don't have the money.

I don't recall the exact number, but it should be close to that (when you take into consideration salary, bonus, cap hit and future cap hit , etc. - the whole enchilada).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #43
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 25265 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

When AJ was out with all those games last season Schaub passing production did not dropoff. Receivers like Posey, Martin, and Jean are begging to have big games. The only problem is Schaub has tunnel vision for Johnson. The sooner he realized that the sooner he can get back to playing topnotch. And because of that is where he failed. The weapons are there and that's why it's on Schaub.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #44
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
But we did come back twice this year, Thorn.

And Schaub can't help in that regard when we had leads in many other games.
On the one hand, you'd rather for us to have a lead throughout, on the other hand, you want us to come back in the 4th, too.

Can't do both, Thorn.
Schaub, either because of something wrong with him or because of coaching decisions, is just not as good right now as he was earlier this season and previous seasons.

I don't what's wrong, I'm not a coach. I just know it when I see it. Hopefully whatever IS wrong is fixed this Sunday. I know Schaub is capable of leading the Texans to a super bowl, but he just hasn't been showing it lately.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #45
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Schaub, either because of something wrong with him or because of coaching decisions, is just not as good right now as he was earlier this season and previous seasons.

I don't what's wrong, I'm not a coach. I just know it when I see it. Hopefully whatever IS wrong is fixed this Sunday. I know Schaub is capable of leading the Texans to a super bowl, but he just hasn't been showing it lately.
QFT!

He is either injured or playing scared. Neither of which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #46
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lol; you try to sell some of these players to the Pats fans and they wouldn't any.

They will laugh at you with the thought of OD over Gronk, and Graham over Hernandez, Walter over Welker.
The Pats offensive line is better than the Texans this year.
The 3 guys they have at RB at also very potent.

At the end of the day though, just count the numbers on either side of the ball.
Of course, we have good players on the O, too; but we are supposed to have more on the D side.
I don't think laughing at the guy is necessary. You put Tom Brady behind our Oline and almost our whole receiving corps is going to the pro bowl, but not playing because they're in the Super Bowl. Look at the circus catches Walter, Graham, OD, AJ and Casey make. When Brady is your QB, the circus doesn't come to town. On target darts into the hands of our would be elite receiving corps....If you think Noodle is anywhere close to Brady...I think delusional would be a good adjective to describe you.
Old 01-11-2013   #47
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know we're stuck with Schaub, but wouldn't the Texans benefit immensely from an elite type QB?
Yes, Schaub's good at the play action.
Our play action has been getting read like "Clifford the Big Red Dog" lately.
Old 01-11-2013   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
I don't think laughing at the guy is necessary. You put Tom Brady behind our Oline and almost our whole receiving corps is going to the pro bowl, but not playing because they're in the Super Bowl. Look at the circus catches Walter, Graham, OD, AJ and Casey make. When Brady is your QB, the circus doesn't come to town. On target darts into the hands of our would be elite receiving corps....If you think Noodle is anywhere close to Brady...I think delusional would be a good adjective to describe you.
You guys keep avoiding the questions.

1. What is the role of the D on this team?
2. What is the role of Schaub on this team?

If you want to point your fingers wherever, it's your choice.

Have fun at it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #49
patsfan13
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 patsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO it isn't fair to compare Schaub to Brady, there is a good chance that when Brady is done he will be hands down the GOAT of all time, I could even make a case that he is right now.

Schaub is a very good game manager QB he doesn't seem to be equipped to control the game like a Brady or Manning HOF qb type.

I would LOVE to see TFB throwing to Andre J. BTW.

Winning playoff games and getting to the SB requires IT to be on the Coaches, D, O, and ST's
patsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #50
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
QFT!

He is either injured or playing scared. Neither of which is good.
When you are injured as QB and you know that you are limited in what you can do, it can easily lead to playing scared.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #51
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Your apologies for Schaub are laughable. Schaub carries the biggest cap hit on this team. He is the QB. He is playing like crap. At least compared to his play earlier in the year and previous seasons. Plain and simple, Matt Schaub must play better for the Texans to advance in the playoffs.
If there's ever been a reason to move him on, that's it right there. Mario was a huge cap hit and performed like Jared Crick. Can't have the same from Schaub. He simply has to justify being the highest paid player.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #52
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post

Look, I was just giving an opinion. Not asking for universal agreement.

Not attacking anyone personally either because they disagree.
When you're talking about someone's height & weight, it's not called an opinion - it's called a guess.

And when someone points out you're guess was incorrect, it's not called disagreeing - it's called pointing out you were incorrect.
Old 01-11-2013   #53
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Already been discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I see alot of people pointing fingers at Kubiak and the offense and rightfully so. But what about Philllips? Seems like everyone is making excuses for him. "Oh he has so little work with because of injuries" and "he has got this team to over achieve". BFD! All defenses go through that at some opint in a season. Thats where a great coordinator steps up shows why he is great.

Maybe it's just me but it sure seems like he's gone extra vanilla on his blitz packages. I'm not a big X's and O's guy but I can't remember the last time saw Phillips send one of our OLB's on loop around stunt to the inside. What happened to moving the weak side LB all over the place to put him in position to take advantage of miss matches and take advantage of his rush abilities. All he's done the second half of this year IMO is use the OLB's as edge setters or speed rushers around the outside on obvious passing plays. Where is the creativity we were promised?

I'm sorry but this defense has to get pressure on the QB to be successful. Phillips need to dial it up a notch or we are going to end up wasting this season no matter what the offense does.
Old 01-11-2013   #54
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Our play action has been getting read like "Clifford the Big Red Dog" lately.
Can't deny that, but it did show some signs of having a heart beat last weekend.
No doubt Kubiak has to change our all too predictable offensive scheme. But, how do you change something that we must rely on, namely the run and what that sets up if its successful?
I just hope if in our first or second drives Kubiak recognizes certain schemes that may or may not have success.
How many run plays on the right side did we see Foster make against NE last time? Could have been the left, all I know is it wasn't working worth a damn, and it kept getting called.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #55
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You guys keep avoiding the questions.

1. What is the role of the D on this team?
2. What is the role of Schaub on this team?
1. To keep the opposing offense from scoring.
2. To lead the offense on scoring drives, preferably touchdowns.

Your attempted characterization of Matt Schaub as Trent Dilfer is absurd.
Old 01-11-2013   #56
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub didn't play how many reg season games last year???

Wasn't he basically out the month of December during last season?

Is it possible that him not playing roughly the final 1/4th of the reg season in 2011 has made him somewhat shaky the final 1/4th of THIS season?

The way he reacted to the playoff win, too, it looked like 2,000 lbs. had been lifted off his shoulders.

I think the guy is either going to be that guy we saw when he out-slugged the Packers in Lambeau on a day when no Houston pro football team had any business playing on a the Frozen Tundra in Lambeau, or he's going to be that guy who cratered under the pressure in week 14 vs. the Patriots this season.

There will be no middle ground. Either he sucked it up just long enough, vs. the Bengals, to get that elusive playoff win (and so he figures he's good to go no matter what outcome happens)...or, he takes it to another level and totally blows every single person's mind.

Because right now, not a single person in the sports media believes that the best QB playing in Foxboro Sunday is Matt Schaub. The deck is stacked against him. And either he gets that **** flipped on its head and shoves a big middle finger into the face of the sports world...like Joe Namath did, or he doesn't.

In fact, I have never seen Namath play on TV. But I did watch a great NFL Films documentary on him about a week ago. Schaub just might be a QB who is a lot like Namath. Neither guy is really known for being mobile. Both guys are accurate and sort of lumbering around out there, and most people think Schaub can't beat Brady just like people thought Namath couldn't beat Unitas.

Strange things happen.

But I still think the Patriots win. And it won't matter if it's a blowout or a squeaker. A win is a win, and the Patriots have been doing this for over a decade now.
Old 01-11-2013   #57
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Schaub didn't play how many reg season games last year???

Wasn't he basically out the month of December during last season?

Is it possible that him not playing roughly the final 1/4th of the reg season in 2011 has made him somewhat shaky the final 1/4th of THIS season?

The way he reacted to the playoff win, too, it looked like 2,000 lbs. had been lifted off his shoulders.

I think the guy is either going to be that guy we saw when he out-slugged the Packers in Lambeau on a day when no Houston pro football team had any business playing on a the Frozen Tundra in Lambeau, or he's going to be that guy who cratered under the pressure in week 14 vs. the Patriots this season.

There will be no middle ground. Either he sucked it up just long enough, vs. the Bengals, to get that elusive playoff win (and so he figures he's good to go no matter what outcome happens)...or, he takes it to another level and totally blows every single person's mind.

Because right now, not a single person in the sports media believes that the best QB playing in Foxboro Sunday is Matt Schaub. The deck is stacked against him. And either he gets that **** flipped on its head and shoves a big middle finger into the face of the sports world...like Joe Namath did, or he doesn't.

In fact, I have never seen Namath play on TV. But I did watch a great NFL Films documentary on him about a week ago. Schaub just might be a QB who is a lot like Namath. Neither guy is really known for being mobile. Both guys are accurate and sort of lumbering around out there, and most people think Schaub can't beat Brady just like people thought Namath couldn't beat Unitas.

Strange things happen.

But I still think the Patriots win. And it won't matter if it's a blowout or a squeaker. A win is a win, and the Patriots have been doing this for over a decade now.
Earl Morrall started Super Bowl III (and every other game for the Colts that season).
Old 01-11-2013   #58
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Schaub just might be a QB who is a lot like Namath. Neither guy is really known for being mobile. Both guys are accurate and sort of lumbering around out there, and most people think Schaub can't beat Brady just like people thought Namath couldn't beat Unitas.
Namath was a mobile, scrambling QB prior to his knee injuries. And he had a golden arm and, along with Marino and Unitas, had the greatest release of any QB. Namath was a fearless gambler as a passer. Other than being a QB from Pennsylvania, he had nothing in common with Schaub. Not your best attempt at an analogy.
Old 01-12-2013   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can't deny that, but it did show some signs of having a heart beat last weekend.
No doubt Kubiak has to change our all too predictable offensive scheme. But, how do you change something that we must rely on, namely the run and what that sets up if its successful?
This simply isn't true. The Texans led the league in passing in a year their running game sucked rocks and the system was the same. It is more on the ability of the team as a whole to sell the run than it is the success of the run.
Old 01-12-2013   #60
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear you infantry, but you and I both know it's not just stats.
It's that quality not easily identifiable. Brady has it. Rodgers has it. Peyton has it. Terry Bradshaw had it. Staubach had it. Elway had it. Luck will probably have it. Wilson will have it. RGIII will probably have it.
Schaub will never have it, sorry.
I hope and pray he proves me and all doubters wrong this weekend. I want nothing more than a win against NE. I tell ya I'd feel a whole lot better about our chances if we had that elite QB.
You throw 4 or 5 hundred yards a game and still walk away with an L, what the hell do those numbers really matter for?
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read