Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2013   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eli Manning vs Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Swapping 1st and two 2nds isn't so-so guy trade material. He was acquired to be the franchise QB HWSNBN'd was not.
Schaub was the equivalent of a 23rd pick.
We talked about this at the time.
At least we offered a solution that actually became a reality.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #42
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173004 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Schaub was the equivalent of a 23rd pick.
We talked about this at the time.
At least we offered a solution that actually became a reality.
Late 1st Round QBs (picks 20+) in the last 10 years:
Rodgers, Weedon, Tebow, Quinn, Campbell, Losman, Grossman

Well then...I'll be quiet now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #43
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
By no means am I saying it doesn't happen. In fact, I agree some of the great QBs are famous for it. But I think what makes them famous for it is doing it at critical times, elevating their team when they are playing another great team. Staubach and the hail mary situations. I'm guess what I am saying is I would like an additional stat added for perspective - number of opportunities and % successfully done.
now youre talkin.
Old 01-12-2013   #44
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4036 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans would be unstoppable with an elite QB.
Look back 20 some odd years at the SB winners and very few didn't have elite QB's.
It's the only link now missing from this Texans team.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
Look back 20 some odd years at the SB winners and very few didn't have elite QB's.
Yeah, but a lot of elite QBs got knocked out by lesser QBs all the time in the play-offs.

Forehead lost 7 times in the Colts first play-offs games (either the Wild Card or divisional round).
Old 01-12-2013   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
Not disagreeing so much with your overall point but I guess it depends on what you are calling elite - maybe it would better be expressed as top 10 QB. When we have had numerous discussions of elite around here I think there are 4 consensus picks - Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers.

There are a lot of guys in that 20 years who with a similar examination were considered non-elite when they won the SB. For instance in recent years Eli and Big Ben have 4 rings. I loved Aikman but he wasn't generally considered elite at the time - more really freaking efficient and accurate. Elway was certainly overall an elite QB but was well past his prime when he got his two. Know how many TD's he threw in them combined? - 1 (which by the way is the same number Big Ben threw in his 2). There is some chicken and egg here as well - folks start talking about you as elite because you win the SB.
Old 01-12-2013   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And then there were the two famous HOF Dans.

Neither Marino, nor Foutts went to the SB.

In fact, both had losing record in the play-offs.
Both lost their first games multiple times.
Old 01-12-2013   #48
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
And then there were the two famous HOF Dans.

Neither Marino, nor Foutts went to the SB.

In fact, both had losing record in the play-offs.
Both lost their first games multiple times.
Marino played in Super Bowl XIX.
Old 01-12-2013   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Marino played in Super Bowl XIX.
My bad, Mr Marino who threw for two INT's.
Old 01-12-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'd take Eli Manning a hundred times over Schaub, because he's done what Schaub hasn't. Stepped up big time in big games.

Sure, he's laid some stinkers..... if the above statement were true, he'd have his team in the play-offs right now, but he don't. But it's a fact that Manning has stepped up when his team needed him more times than Matt.

The biggest reason, may be because Eli's team has been in more of those big games. Schaub has been in what? Two? I may be mistaken, but I don't think he stepped up in them.

I think we're about to find out who Matt is.

I never really cared for Eli... brother of the GOAT, never live up to those expectations. But I saw one game where he was down in the 4th qtr, he was sacked 6 times. But he still brought his team back for the win.

Then when he won two Super Bowl MVPs.... not because he's as precise or efficient as Peyton, not because he's as calm & poised under pressure as Brady, but because he's got an iron jaw & kept fighting. He took a beating but managed to win the fight.

If we win the Super Bowl, because Schaub looked like Trent Dilfer, I think it will be accurately reflected across the nation, not so much in Houston. If he wins the Super Bowl looking like Eli Manning (he's not going to look like Brady), same thing.
Old 01-12-2013   #51
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 266 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Schaub has an under-rated arm. His problem is mechanics. He rarely step into his throw. The reason he don't step into his throw is in his mind that's one step closer to getting hit. Only time he does this is on rollout PA when half the defense is on the other side of the field biting on a run.

I could have told you that buddy. but I think you agree with me with the fact that, in the pocket he just flat out can't get the ball down 40 yards..
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #52
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 266 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

Marino was great player but he didn't have that X factor that Montana had in making players around him great. Brady has it, Peyton has it.. Schuab does not. But lets hope he does his part and plays a good game, 65-75%, 2:1, 1:0 ratio, and a lot of TOP. that's who he is. that's our QB next year guys
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Touchdown View Post
I could have told you that buddy. but I think you agree with me with the fact that, in the pocket he just flat out can't get the ball down 40 yards..
That just flat not true. Schaub hit AJ with a ball that went 53 yds in the air earlier this year. His arm strength is not great but this is over stated.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read