Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2013   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How to "slow down" the Pats offense and win this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I'd appreciate it if you could let me know which rankings hold meaning for which teams before I counter one of your arguments with the very same ranking.

I mean something like,
Okie, sorry, let make it a little more clear then.

The Bengals had faced 10 QBs that a lot of people on this board said they would take over Schaub; the Patriots faced half that number.

While the Pats secondary had improved lately with the addition of Talib, the Bengals defense also brought it up a notch in the second half.

Scoring 19 points against the Bengals isn't great considering our D had a good day, but it's not bad either.

If the D can play the same against the Pats, then I expect the Texans to score 24 points or more against the Pats.

But Brady likely won't allow that, so I won't be surprised if we only scored 14-17 points. (Obviously bad luck may even prevent that much scoring).

If things even out for both teams in every aspect, I expect the Texans to score between 17-24 points and the Pats to score between 21-28 points.

That also takes into account ST play where we also need to at least stay even and not to give them better field position overall.

The Jets won in 2010, in part due to the fact that they won the field position battle, and because the Pats' Patrick Chung botched a direct snap and fumbled the ball on a faked punt attempt.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

if we're going to score more than 21 points or so, we're going to need some turnovers go our way. what are the odds in Foxboro ?
Old 01-11-2013   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
if we're going to score more than 21 points or so, we're going to need some turnovers go our way. what are the odds in Foxboro ?
I just posted in the Eli vs Schaub thread that Schaub is undefeated with the opponents scoring fewer than 20.

I don't know how the Texans are going to manage that, but we've spent a ton of money on FA and high draft picks on the D side.

They just have to get it done.
Old 01-11-2013   #44
Fico
Rookie

Rep Power: 1386 Fico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Touchdown View Post
Watt hit him countless times, after he threw the ball. Pressure on Brady isn't anything less than a sac, or tipped pass. Pressure doesn't phase that guy until you start taking him to the ground.
Except it did. Watt was hitting him when our defense was getting off the field. Nobody was touching him when they blew the game open in the first half.
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #45
patsfan13
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 patsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The Jets won in 2010, in part due to the fact that they won the field position battle, and because the Pats' Patrick Chung botched a direct snap and fumbled the ball on a faked punt attempt.

The Chung TO didn't help but Rex came up with a very good gameplan (BB said he was out coached that game) using 7-8 DB and the Pats were unable to exploit that 'gimmick' by running the ball.

They drafted Ridley and Vareen 4 months later to prevent other teams from doing this successfully.

I will be interested to see what Phillips comes up with.

His D's have had trouble with the Pats (thinking his time at Dallas and Buffalo), Brady matches well against the D he likes to run. If I were a Texan fan I want to see how he adapts to slow down the Pats.

Gronk was not effective in the Dolphins game he seemed to be favoring and trying to protect his arm, keep an eye on this.

I also think that Joseph was just coming off an injury and expect he will be tougher in this game.

B Reed's being in this game will also help the Texans out, but I understand that a couple of players from the first game are now out.

How do you guys feel about the health of the team?

For the Pats this is the healthiest they have been in the Playoffs for a couple of years, it doesn't look like the weather will be a factor.
patsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan13 View Post
For the Pats this is the healthiest they have been in the Playoffs for a couple of years, it doesn't look like the weather will be a factor.
This is as healthy as we get.

We're not getting Cushing back, but this will be the first time our starting ILBs will be the same two guys in back to back games since week 6.

Newton, our right tackle, "feels" like he's 100%, he looked good, but I don't know. He didn't play in our Dec game & I believe the reason we struggled running the ball.

Jjo was just getting back from injury when we last played, but I didn't think he was 100% I hadn't thought he played anywhere near 100% all year. Well, except last week. He looked really good, allowing our other DBs to play more aggressive. I know it looks like we play a lot of man, & we do... on the outside. Inside, it's usually a combination of stuff.

Graham has been cleared to play. You may not know his name, but he's really important to what we want to do. We're a three TE offense & we've only got three TEs.

We're healthier than we've been since week 9. Your boys are in big trouble.
Old 01-11-2013   #47
patsfan13
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 patsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respectedpatsfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Graham has been cleared to play. You may not know his name, but he's really important to what we want to do. We're a three TE offense & we've only got three TEs.

We're healthier than we've been since week 9. Your boys are in big trouble.

I heard about Graham. This could be a factor, the Texans sound like us last year when we were a 2 TE O for our base with only 2TE's on the roster, when Gronk was hurt it was a killer. Will be interested to see how this affects the running game.

IMO BB wants to take away Foster and Johnson, so the TE's could hurt us. Daniels will need to have a BIG day if the Texans want to win IMO.

As you saw the Pats from 7 is good against the run they work hard to set the edge and funnel things back inside to V Wilfork and Spikes. When in the base Spikes who is great against the run can be exploited by a TE with ball skills like Daniels.

I am anxious to see if Dennard and Talib are healthy, if so it makes things a lot better for the Pats D.

Generally opposing fans have been underestimating the Pats D (don't know that this applies to the fans here) IIRC they were 4th in the NFL for pts allowed, they gave up 1 more point than the Bengals over the course of the season.
patsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #48
Pats
Rookie

Rep Power: 694 Pats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

I'm sorry, but the Patriots offense is the last thing we need to worry about. I know that sounds left field & everything, but our defense has showed they can play with these guys. Our offense is the biggest issue.
oh boy

are you aware that NE has the #1 scoring offense in the nfl and that Gronkowski is coming back? He scored 17 TDs last year. 10 this year before he broke his arm missing weeks.
Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #49
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans will never win in a shootout with the Pats, just won't happen. Texans, if they want success, will eat away that clock on long scoring drives.
Where's that article? I liked the guys analogy of NE being a quick striking Cobra and the Texans being a Constrictor, just slowly squeezing the life out of you.
Best way to shut down a high scoring offense is to keep them on the sidelines.
I'm sure Kubiak has some plans, I hope.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats View Post
oh boy

are you aware that NE has the #1 scoring offense in the nfl and that Gronkowski is coming back? He scored 17 TDs last year. 10 this year before he broke his arm missing weeks.
You quoted the whole post.... but didn't read the whole thing.

Not a lot I can do for you.
Old 01-12-2013   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan13 View Post
The Chung TO didn't help but Rex came up with a very good gameplan (BB said he was out coached that game) using 7-8 DB and the Pats were unable to exploit that 'gimmick' by running the ball.

They drafted Ridley and Vareen 4 months later to prevent other teams from doing this successfully.

I will be interested to see what Phillips comes up with.

His D's have had trouble with the Pats (thinking his time at Dallas and Buffalo), Brady matches well against the D he likes to run. If I were a Texan fan I want to see how he adapts to slow down the Pats.

Gronk was not effective in the Dolphins game he seemed to be favoring and trying to protect his arm, keep an eye on this.

I also think that Joseph was just coming off an injury and expect he will be tougher in this game.

B Reed's being in this game will also help the Texans out, but I understand that a couple of players from the first game are now out.

How do you guys feel about the health of the team?

BJG averaged 4.4 YPC that year, the same as Ridley this year;Woodhead was at 5.3 YPC.

There was no problem with the Pats run game back then; and it wasn't the run game that held the Pats back on that day.

It was Brady's uncharacteristic errors and the drop by Alger in the end zone that hurt the Pats more than anything.

I'm hoping some of that happen again tomorrow. I'll take any luck we can get.
Old 01-13-2013   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Default Tom Brady's first read.

I just heard the best analysis of how to play Tom Brady that I've ever heard. I've been hearing a lot of stup1d analysis, like you can't play man coverage to beat him.

I'm listening to Seth Payne & Ted Johnson (??) on 610am right now & they just said the only thing that makes sense.
  1. We don't play zone; we're about to play the second best QB of our lifetime & we're supposed to all of a sudden be able to play zone coverages at the level that's going to be required to beat him? I don't think so.

San Francisco did it... but we're not San Francisco. We don't have their linemen, we don't have their LBs, we don't have their safeties... yeah, our guys have strengths theirs do not (maybe not at the ILB position) but we don't have what they have that allows them to play excellent zone coverage. We just don't
  2. Take away the first read
    This right here, is what did it for me. (This is the kind of analysis I expect from you emdiggy) but this is it in a nutshell. Brady did not have all day to dissect our secondary. He got the ball out in 2.2 seconds or something (unconfirmed). He was going to his first read, & his first read was open.

Now, open means different things for different QBs & different receivers. Same thing happened against Rogers. The QBs & the Receivers have an excellent rapport. They know each other, they know what they can do & can't do. If that DB is playing on top & to the inside, the WR knows their QB is going to put it on their back shoulder. If the DB is playing underneath & outside with a safety on top, that outside hook turns into an inside hook. More difficult to defend, but not impossible. Our DBs need to know this. Or our defenders in general.

If they're playing on top & inside, to defend the back shoulder, you have to force the receiver to the sideline. If he goes up, the first thing in your mind has to be to push him out of bounds. If you lost that battle & you're not close to the sideline, you have to get your hand between his elbows, grab something & yank like a motha.

If you're playing deep, facing the QB, get ready to drive on the ball.

Of course there is a lot of other stuff that goes with that.

** most important, is tendencies. They've got to know in certain situations, Welker is Brady's first read. Sometimes, it's Gronk, sometimes it's Lloyd... But our guys need to believe that guy in front of him is the first target & play accordingly. **
Old 01-13-2013   #53
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3744 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tom Brady's first read.

I will tell you the easy way to beat Brady. Get in his face right from go, and if you have to eat the 15 yard RTK penalty, do so and hit him hard and drive him to the turf (remember, it's not an illegal hit- it's just a late hit that ain't late on any other QB but Brady).

Once he gets walloped, he gets antsy. Once he gets antsy, his accuracy suffers.
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #54
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravenator View Post
I will tell you the easy way to beat Brady. Get in his face right from go, and if you have to eat the 15 yard RTK penalty, do so and hit him hard and drive him to the turf (remember, it's not an illegal hit- it's just a late hit that ain't late on any other QB but Brady).

Daravenator is right. You have to smack him down. Brady if you breathe on him you get a 15 yd penalty.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #55
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Take away the 1st read and it gives you a bit longer to pop his azzz .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #56
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

Our DL is every bit as good (I think better) than San Fran's. They have the definitive edge at LB, esp with Cush out.

Our DBs are all finally healthy, Kareem is playing at a high level. They have a slight edge, but I like ours as well.

We need Sean Cody to make a splash. Dude needs to show up.
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #57
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

However we do it, we need to force Brady to hold on to the ball for longer than 3 seconds.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #58
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417Texan View Post
Daravenator is right. You have to smack him down. Brady if you breathe on him you get a 15 yd penalty.
I think the Texans just got called for a 15 yd penalty.....and the game hasn't even started.

Why?

Because it's Tom Brady

Any and every opportunity, bring pressure on TB and knock the shhhh it out of him.
Old 01-13-2013   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I'm all for being aggressive & ruthless & all that.... but why bring the kicker into this?

I'm ok with taking a 15 yard penalty for a RTP penalty, just don't see what abusing their kicker has to do with getting into Brady's head.
Old 01-13-2013   #60
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 32907 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

RTK? Is the Pats Punter hurt? Brady's kicking as well?

J/K....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read