Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2013   #81
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Fim Room: Why The Patriots Should Be So Very, Very Afraid Of The Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Did they really have somebody time every single of his passes?

And they referred to the Jets play-off game (but his completion percentage didn't suffer in that game); the Pats lost for various reasons, and not simply because of more men in coverage (it's more involved than tha.)
But his yards per pass completion went from 10.5 in the reg blowout to 5.8 in the playoff loss, and they got to Brady 2 more times. Pats went from 4-10 on 3rd downs to 5-14 in the second game. More 3rd downs, and more 3rd and longs I would presume. And the pats did not get a touchdown till the end of the 3rd quarter in that game. I mean, its some pretty damning evidence.

Side note: Dirty Sanchez went from 3 pics to 3 tds in the second game also. And the Pats have a better running game now.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #82
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Fim Room: Why The Patriots Should Be So Very, Very Afraid Of The Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
But his yards per pass completion went from 10.5 in the reg blowout to 5.8 in the playoff loss, and they got to Brady 2 more times. Pats went from 4-10 on 3rd downs to 5-14 in the second game. More 3rd downs, and more 3rd and longs I would presume. And the pats did not get a touchdown till the end of the 3rd quarter in that game. I mean, its some pretty damning evidence.

Side note: Dirty Sanchez went from 3 pics to 3 tds in the second game also. And the Pats have a better running game now.
I just posted the game notes of the first half of the Jets play-off game; there's more than meet the eyes.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #83
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
41% if he takes longer than 3 secs to get rid of the ball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...dy-at-his-best
I found it interesting that Brady was getting sacked at a higher average per dropback when the Ravens and Jets were not bringing extra defenders versus when they did.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #84
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just posted the game notes of the first half of the Jets play-off game; there's more than meet the eyes.
Nice! Saw them. So what does that game tell you when looking at the stats provided?
Old 01-10-2013   #85
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice! Saw them. So what does that game tell you when looking at the stats provided?
I'm gathering my thoughts and will post them in that thread.
Old 01-10-2013   #86
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I heard an interesting stat about Tom Brady on the radio this morning.

When he's pressured by a blitz and only has up to 3 seconds to pass, he's something around 70% completion.

But, when he's given longer to pass - i.e. a cover 2 defense - his completions drop to around 40%.

I think Wade's aggressive style is something that plays into one of Brady's strengths. Do you think there is any chance that Wade dials it back and tries to force the Patriots to run more?
There is a misconception in the NFL world that if you pressure Brady he will fold and lose his game. This is only true if those pressure comes from a four man rush.

I'm shocked that folks here think this is news. Didn't we learned that from playing GB? I remember an hour leading to the mnf espn and nfl networks had analysts advising Texans to limit their blitz against Brady base on their own studies of NE.
klockWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #87
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't figure out what I'm looking at, but if I stack these numbers a certain way I'll tell you what you saw.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #88
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Default Re: The Film Room: Why The Patriots Should Be So Very, Very Afraid Of The Texans

So back to my question, are we even equipped to run an efficient zone? I do know Watt and Smith are monsters on the D-Line and would more than play their part.
Old 01-10-2013   #89
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Default Re: The Film Room: Why The Patriots Should Be So Very, Very Afraid Of The Texans

Quote:
So back to my question, are we even equipped to run an efficient zone? I do know Watt and Smith are monsters on the D-Line and would more than play their part.
I hope Newton is healthy enough to be more efficient thanHarris the last time.
I hope Jones has a better feel for what he's up against.
I hope Brandon Brooks continues to improve as well.
Old 01-10-2013   #90
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
Yeah... the Pats are cobras all right...
I'm starting to see the resemblance.

C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #91
Pats
Rookie

Rep Power: 694 Pats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you really trying to convince yourself Ridley is on the same level as Foster, or have you already gone full retard?
People here think the Texans are on the same level as NE and that Bum Phillips is a defensive mastermind.
Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #92
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats View Post
People here think the Texans are on the same level as NE and that Bum Phillips is a defensive mastermind.
1) I'm pretty sure most people here recognize that the Texans are underdogs, and will have to play their best game to have a chance at taking down the pats, so you obviously don't know what you're taliking about.

2) Bum Phillips WAS a defensive master mind when he coached, but he's 89 and retired now.

Now beat it, and put your head back in Brady's jock.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #93
Pats
Rookie

Rep Power: 694 Pats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post
If you believe Ridley is a better back than Foster, you're just stupid. I guarantee the Pats would take Foster over Ridley in a heartbeat if they were given the option to choose between the two. Hell, every other team would too. Ridley is decent, and a good fit for the Patriots, but better than Arian Foster... beyotch please.
Wade is stupid and fat.

Ridley shares RB duties with Woodhead, Vereen and Bolden.
Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #94
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats View Post
Wade is stupid and fat.

Ooooooooooooooohhhh buuuuurrrnnnn!!!! Lol, either you are 13 yrs old or you are in fact half retarded.
Old 01-11-2013   #95
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
40%?

I found it hard to believe.
Teddy Johnson was talking about those stats on 790 AM yesterday morning.

I should have clarified about the longer than 3 seconds, and much thanks to Tailgate for adding more details.

Quote:
41% if he takes longer than 3 secs to get rid of the ball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...dy-at-his-best
Much appreciated, man!
Old 01-11-2013   #96
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I should have clarified about the longer than 3 seconds, and much thanks to Tailgate for adding more details.

Much appreciated, man!
One of the Pats fans had a stat showing Brady getting the ball out on the average in some 2.22 seconds.

The number of times he held the ball for over 3.5 seconds is probably few.
And some of that probably on play action where usually you don't complete as many passes, but when you do, it's a long gain, or a TD.
Old 01-11-2013   #97
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Much appreciated, man!
Quote:
One of the Pats fans had a stat showing Brady getting the ball out on the average in some 2.22 seconds.

The number of times he held the ball for over 3.5 seconds is probably few.
And some of that probably on play action where usually you don't complete as many passes, but when you do, it's a long gain, or a TD.
Like I just went back and took a quick look.

We rushed 4 four times in the first quarter, Brady still got the ball out very quickly.
Old 01-11-2013   #98
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I just went back and took a quick look.

We rushed 4 four times in the first quarter, Brady still got the ball out very quickly.
His quick release is pretty amazing, especially when you consider his accuracy. Of course, we're talking a HoF player here while he's still playing, so it's not a surprise.

The only way to deal with Brady is keep him off the field with long, sustained offensive drives. Sort of a war of attrition like the first time we finally beat Manning. Lots of run game, some good defensive plays, and try to win a close one in the 4th.
Old 01-11-2013   #99
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
His quick release is pretty amazing, especially when you consider his accuracy. Of course, we're talking a HoF player here while he's still playing, so it's not a surprise.

The only way to deal with Brady is keep him off the field with long, sustained offensive drives. Sort of a war of attrition like the first time we finally beat Manning. Lots of run game, some good defensive plays, and try to win a close one in the 4th.
I just as soon try to sweet talk Lady Luck into giving us some breaks.
Old 01-11-2013   #100
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

On offense, somebody who really hasn't stepped up with a big game needs to step up in this one.

Any of these will mean one of these guys made a significant contribution, IMO
Posey - 4-5 catches; 75-80 yds; 1 TD
Martin - 2-3 catches; 55-60 yds reciving; 2-3 rushes; 25 yds rushing (end around)
Jean - 3-4 catches; 55-60 yds; 1 TD; 2-3 red zone targets

Personally, I am interested in seeing KMart get a few more end around opportunities, and also being used as a decoy end around.

I don't think it's vital to this game, however I really think the guy is a play maker, but he still needs to work on his hands, and they need to find better ways of getting him the ball.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read