Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2013   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: How to "slow down" the Pats offense and win this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan123 View Post
I beleive this is more on the coaches then the players..nobody is better agaisnt the blitz yet last matchup wade blitzed alot. And worse of all didnt make any adjustments. There is no way the texans can beat the patriots if they cant adjust. Man on man coverage will give brady a field day. I really hope kubiak and co learned during regular season.

Responses like this makes me believe some people listen too much to the media & not enough to the actual game.

For whatever reasons, they scored 21 points in the first 19 minutes of the game. We made some mistakes, they made some plays, they took advantage of us being unprepared, there were some bad calls (really, you'll never hear a holding call against a guy defending a 5 yard route on 3rd & 6 in any other game)... whatever.

The Pats were shut down, gained 30 yards or so, on 5 of their next 6 possessions. 3 of those possessions were 3 & outs.

How can you say Wade didn't adjust?

I'm sorry, but the Patriots offense is the last thing we need to worry about. I know that sounds left field & everything, but our defense has showed they can play with these guys. Our offense is the biggest issue. We're not going to shut out the Patriots.

San Fran couldn't do it, no one should expect us to. Our offense needs to put up points & run out time. Defensively, we'll get a couple of stops, we'll give up a few points.... keeping them under 30 should be considered good. Under 24 should be considered great, under 20 amazing, they are who they are. They averaged 26 points in their losses.
Old 01-11-2013   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
The only way we have any chance of making this even a close ball game . . .

. . . is to win the coin toss, get the ball first, and take it down the field and score. Not a FG, but a TD. Because if we don't do that, and Brady takes it downfield and scores, then that will put tremendous pressure to score on Schaub, and I don't think he's capable of handling that type of pressure. And if they fail to score again . . . it will already be over. TV is turned off.
I'll take it further. To have a realistic chance, not only do we need to score on the first possession of the game, But our defense needs to get the ball back, not allow the Pats to answer with a field goal, much less a TD. Then our offense needs to score another TD.

We've got to go up by 14 early & never let up.

If we don't manage to open a 14 point lead at anytime in the game, I don't see us beating Brady in a playoff game that comes down to the wire.
Old 01-11-2013   #23
Goodwrench3
VAI TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1758 Goodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Putting pressure on Brady, a LOT of pressure.
Old 01-11-2013   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would still be cheering the Texans on even if they trail by a bunch (I don't think they will though).

How quickly peoe forgot the Jags game, and especially the Lions game.

The Lions are an explosive offensive team, too.
And we didn't have JJo.

How about last year against the Skins, the Chiefs, the Jets, and the Ravens.

The Jets and the Ravens were 6th and 3rd in scoring defense (I don't remember which is which).

Brady may score a few points but the Texans also showed that they can stop them in stretches.

We made a lot of unforced errors in the last game, and if we do that again, we will lose. But this is the play-offs, we should expect that the players keep those mental errors down to a minimum.

We have a fighting chance, but the guys need to step up their game.

Catch the damn ball, don't drop the rock on offense.
Don't let a fumble recovery slip out, and hopefully somebody wil step up and make a big play.

Go Texans.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #25
Goodwrench3
VAI TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1758 Goodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our offense will work well, So,I'm more concerned about Brady.
Old 01-11-2013   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I would still be cheering the Texans on even if they trail by a bunch (I don't think they will though).

How quickly peoe forgot the Jags game, and especially the Lions game.

The Lions are an explosive offensive team, too.
And we didn't have JJo.

How about last year against the Skins, the Chiefs, the Jets, and the Ravens.
If I had a different read on Schaub's confidence, I'd agree with you. But this game, really does lie in his confidence.

I understand your research leads you to believe Schaub has not dropped off in anyway whatsoever, I'm just not believing it & no amount of numbers is going to change my mind.

He didn't look comfortable to me. He didn't look to have adjusted to the excellent protection he was getting last week. & though he made some throws that kept us on the field, I think he was only a small factor in that victory.

I've still got faith that he can snap out of his funk, but if we don't see it early, I don't think we'll see it during the game.
Old 01-11-2013   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
If I had a different read on Schaub's confidence, I'd agree with you. But this game, really does lie in his confidence.

I understand your research leads you to believe Schaub has not dropped off in anyway whatsoever, I'm just not believing it & no amount of numbers is going to change my mind.

He didn't look comfortable to me. He didn't look to have adjusted to the excellent protection he was getting last week. & though he made some throws that kept us on the field, I think he was only a small factor in that victory.

I've still got faith that he can snap out of his funk, but if we don't see it early, I don't think we'll see it during the game.
As long as you don't expect him to be perfect, he will be fine.

Don't forget that the Bengals had the 6th ranked defense in yardage and 8th in scoring.

Not only that, they might be the number one defense in the second half of the season.
They allowed just 13.75 points per game in the last 8 games.

They had a better secondary than the Pats.
Neither Jason Allen nor Taylor Mays can find any or much playing time.

When they put Nate in there, they are still good to go with all the experience back there and everywhere, really.

O.D. dropped a sure catch on third down that would have extended the second drive.
There were also a couple of PIs, one on either side (Burfict and Posey) that otherwise would have made Schaub's numbers even better than 29-38 and 262 yards.
Old 01-11-2013   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Don't forget that the Bengals had the 6th ranked defense in yardage and 8th in scoring.
The Pats are 9th in scoring.
Old 01-11-2013   #29
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Control the clock. Don't allow the big play
Old 01-11-2013   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Pats are 9th in scoring.
You mean defensively?

Well, they play against a lot of bottom scoring offenses in the league (may more than us):

Chiefts, Jets (twice), Dolphins (twice), Rams.

And they didn't play against as many teams that scored a lot of points as us , either.
Old 01-11-2013   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
You mean defensively?

Well, they play against a lot of bottom scoring offenses in the league (may more than us):

Chiefts, Jets (twice), Dolphins (twice), Rams.

And they didn't play against as many teams that scored a lot of points as us , either.
I'd appreciate it if you could let me know which rankings hold meaning for which teams before I counter one of your arguments with the very same ranking.

I mean something like,
Quote:
We only scored 19 points against the Bengals, but they are the 8th ranked scoring defense. I know the Patriots are 9th in that same ranking, but it doesn't mean the same thing since 19 points won't beat the Patriots.

The Texans are also 9th in points allowed, so expect our defense to hold the Patriots to less than 19 points.
Old 01-11-2013   #32
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 8496 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench3 View Post
Putting pressure on Brady, a LOT of pressure.
Only if those pressure comes from a 4 man rush. You can hit Brady all you want when sending 6. All that only means is he's watching his receivers scoring from his back.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #33
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 265 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to see Kubiak start off running the ball. and eating clock. Get a touchdown. force the patriots to pass so the PA won't be affective. And keep New England out of the endzone. It's going to come down to our Redzone defense which IMO is one of the best in the League. I don't know stats. Also Watt needs to have another great game along with Shaun Cody and Smith. Get pressure up the middle. OLB are going to have a long day..
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #34
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 265 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

I pray that Matt Schuab has the game of his life. Andre needs to start catching the ball in important situations. defense red zone is key. Force the Pats to FG we win. big plays will be made down the field. can't stop the Pats in that.
Old 01-11-2013   #35
Fico
Rookie

Rep Power: 1386 Fico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Only if those pressure comes from a 4 man rush. You can hit Brady all you want when sending 6. All that only means is he's watching his receivers scoring from his back.
Except when we held them scoreless for nearly 2 quarters we did pressure him. They racked up points when we sat back.

Do what you do best. Thats how great teams play. We are very good at getting after the QB. We should be getting after him again.
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Touchdown View Post
I pray that Matt Schuab has the game of his life. Andre needs to start catching the ball in important situations. defense red zone is key. Force the Pats to FG we win. big plays will be made down the field. can't stop the Pats in that.
He's only dropped two touchdowns in the last two weeks.
Old 01-11-2013   #37
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Quote:
He's only dropped two touchdowns in the last two weeks.
I hope you're being sarcastic.
Old 01-11-2013   #38
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fico View Post
Except when we held them scoreless for nearly 2 quarters we did pressure him. They racked up points when we sat back.

Do what you do best. Thats how great teams play. We are very good at getting after the QB. We should be getting after him again.
Watt hit him countless times, after he threw the ball. Pressure on Brady isn't anything less than a sac, or tipped pass. Pressure doesn't phase that guy until you start taking him to the ground.
Old 01-11-2013   #39
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6869 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt needs to play the game of his life meaning he makes the proper decisions and play within himself. I am very concerned his thought process/decision making skills might be short circuited due to this being such a big game. If he starts thinking he needs to carry the team and do things that don't suit his skills like trying to force a ball into a tight spot vs seeing the complete field and making the pass to a wide open person then we will have a repeat of last year's Raven game only a lot worse.

Kubiak says it is his job to put Matt in the proper situation to succeed and that is completely true, but Matt's job will be to make the correct decision when put in that situation.

Kubiak and Matt both need to have a great game.

On D I think I want to see more Mercilus than Barwin. I think M has a better chance of providing a big play than Barwin. Barwin gets engaged and from that point on does nothing or rushes wide right out of the play. Now I did not watch him last game? Did he do a better job of freeing himself?

I think it could be a close game if the Texans prevent the big play, play smart, and don't turn the ball over.

If they come out flat again then I am not sure what to say...
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Touchdown View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic.
Did you count more than two?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read