Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 01-11-2013   #61
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Sunday's game is nothing but a formality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomVariable View Post
We came in under prepared against the 49ers and played atrociously in the 1st half. I will give you that.
Hey, whatever you have to tell yourself pal.
Quote:
The difference is, unlike the Texans, we didn't give up and allow ourselves to be humiliated. We came back from 31-3 to lose by only 7, after adjustments at halftime.
This isn't the BCS.... actually, not even the BCS gives a sh1t about your "almost" come back.
Quote:
We played poorly against the Jags. But we tend to do that against poor teams when nothing is on the line.
Again, as long as you sleep well at night, it doesn't really matter. You tell yourself whatever you need to, to convince yourself your team didn't peak in the regular season.

Playing your Super Bowl against the Texans in week 14. Blowing your wad & stumbling into the play-offs weak-kneed.

It's ok.
Quote:
Miami? We dominated the entire game and our D got a shutout.
Gotcha... you "dominated" a bad Miami team, so you're "ready" for the Super Bowl... too bad Miami isn't between you & a Super Bowl.

Look, you peaked prematurely. We've had that affect on a lot of teams this season. It happens. It's nothing to be ashamed of, you're still a "great" regular season team. Some teams can't even say that.

Just remember y'all used to be good enough to win Super Bowls, you can probably live the rest of your life bragging about those Super Bowls.. I mean it hasn't "really" been a decade & it only "feels" like it was a long time ago. Hey, you can even say you "almost" won it last year.

Next year, you won't be the only one mistakenly thinking you've got a Super Bowl team again, there are a bunch of delusional people out there who thinks Brady can do it all by himself.
Old 01-11-2013   #62
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 141004 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Until the Texans prove otherwise in a big game , I think this should be their helmet decal .

Old 01-11-2013   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Until the Texans prove otherwise in a big game , I think this should be their helmet decal .

You know.... I understand with success, you should expect more.

But some of this is silly. Some of the way we move the target I mean.

In 2009, we didn't make the play-offs, because we didn't win the game week 1 (or any of our other losses along the way), but we beat these Patriots week 17 to keep our play-off hopes alive.

In 2012, we get off to a league high 11-1 record assuring a play-off spot with 5 weeks left in the season.... Twice, we've won in the Wild Card round...

But you (a fan of this team) think they are mere speed bumps because they haven't proven otherwise in a "big game"

Whatever. Why aren't you the President of the United States yet? Why aren't you a billionaire? Maybe we should put that speed bump on your front door.
Old 01-11-2013   #64
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's pretty cool that we get Pats fans coming to our board smack-talking us, it's a lot better than a few years ago when we were an automatic "W" for every team in the league and most opposing fans felt sorry for us. I actually even have a username on patsfans from the Carr years as DisgracedTexansFan, we have come a long way.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #65
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 141004 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
You know.... I understand with success, you should expect more.

But some of this is silly. Some of the way we move the target I mean.

In 2009, we didn't make the play-offs, because we didn't win the game week 1 (or any of our other losses along the way), but we beat these Patriots week 17 to keep our play-off hopes alive.

In 2012, we get off to a league high 11-1 record assuring a play-off spot with 5 weeks left in the season.... Twice, we've won in the Wild Card round...

But you (a fan of this team) think they are mere speed bumps because they haven't proven otherwise in a "big game"

Whatever. Why aren't you the President of the United States yet? Why aren't you a billionaire? Maybe we should put that speed bump on your front door.
I never tried or wanted to be President that's why . I never tried to be a billionaire . I am the lead guy in what I do at a national company .

In sports I was always on winning teams from Little League until I stopped in 1998 . The one thing I know for sure is it's not what you do vs the bad teams in meaningless games that count . It's what you do vs the best teams in big games that define you .

The Texans used to surge after they were all but eliminated from the playoffs to finish 8-8 . Now they get into the drivers seat and spit the bit . Why ... they don't have the guy pulling the trigger who has big play ability and they don't have the person leading the group who can get it done . Until proven otherwise our Texans are the not ready for primetime players or speed bumps for the contenders .
Old 01-11-2013   #66
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I love the way that because we won in Denver, in Chicago, and very convincingly against Baltimore, they are no longer considered big games. (And Cincy and Atlanta last season, and Cincy last season...)

But convenient definitions are....well, convenient.
Old 01-11-2013   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I love the way that because we won in Denver, in Chicago, and very convincingly against Baltimore, they are no longer considered big games. (And Cincy and Atlanta last season, and Cincy last season...)

But convenient definitions are....well, convenient.
That's all I was saying. We got whupped by Greenbay & New England, and we lost HFA.... but we've never done anything in a big game....

pssh.
Old 01-11-2013   #68
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

[quote=ChampionTexan;2102774]I love the way that because we won in Denver, in Chicago, and very convincingly against Baltimore, they are no longer considered big games. (And Cincy and Atlanta last season, and Cincy last season...)

But convenient definitions are....well, convenient.[

So if I said let's bet you get the Texans , would you take it ?
Old 01-11-2013   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I'm your huckleberry.

Still doesn't change the fact that the Texans have won "big games" We've won two play-off games, we won the division twice. Had to have been a big game in there somewhere.

Had you said the elite teams.... Green Bay, New England, I'll even throw New Orleans & the Giants in there, that's another story & probably more what you meant.
Old 01-11-2013   #70
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
That's all I was saying. We got whupped by Greenbay & New England, and we lost HFA.... but we've never done anything in a big game....

pssh.
Super bowl contenders don't get beat like Green Bay and New England beat them . The also don't gag away HFA when they were healthy , for the most part , losing to the Vikings and Colts .
Old 01-11-2013   #71
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Honoring Earl 34;2102788]
Quote:

But convenient definitions are....well, convenient.[

How does winning or losing on Sunday impact previous big games the Texans have played?
Old 01-11-2013   #72
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I'm your huckleberry.

Still doesn't change the fact that the Texans have won "big games" We've won two play-off games, we won the division twice. Had to have been a big game in there somewhere.

Had you said the elite teams.... Green Bay, New England, I'll even throw New Orleans & the Giants in there, that's another story & probably more what you meant.
SB contenders know the recipe and have the ingredients to make a run . I don't think the Texans have either at this point . They're just a nice , basic casseroles , nothing more .
Old 01-11-2013   #73
RandomVariable
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 RandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Its fans like you that have made me hate the Pats more than any other team in the NFL. And while I'm at it, the Red Sox too. You have accomplished a near impossible feat - to become more obnoxious than Yankee fans.

And BTW, I'm not a Texan fan.
We don't care if we're hated. You keep hating us. We'll just keep on beating your favorite team(s) like we always do.
RandomVariable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #74
RandomVariable
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 RandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respectedRandomVariable is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I guess I didn't realize how classless a lot of pats fans are, you would think with all their winning and back slapping about being the best thing since slice bread might lead to a little humility. It's like you guys forgot that while you have had success, you have sprinkled in a decade or two here and there of straight suckage. Those that forget history are destined to repeat it. Probably mostly bandwagoners....

And while your at it change the damn name of your team, or at least pick a state. Or shall we call you the Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut Patriots?
Even in those years when we've "sucked" we were still head and shoulders above the Texans. LOL
RandomVariable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #75
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

[quote=ChampionTexan;2102794]
Quote:

How does winning or losing on Sunday impact previous big games the Texans have played?
They don't hand out trophies in October or November . It's part of the posturing process for position . The money games in the season were Denver , Baltimore , Green Bay , New England , Colts , Colts , and Vikings . They were 3-4 in those games .
Old 01-11-2013   #76
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

[quote=Honoring Earl 34;2102804]
Quote:

They don't hand out trophies in October or November . It's part of the posturing process for position . The money games in the season were Denver , Baltimore , Green Bay , New England , Colts , Colts , and Vikings . They were 3-4 in those games .
First, we're in the "rivalry" section, so it's kind of a crappy place to make the post that started this anyway.

Secondly, I'd throw the Bears in that to bring us to .500 in those games. Four of the teams you mentioned are still in the tournament, and once you narrow it down to those 4, we're still 2-2.

I'm not predicting a win on Sunday, nor do I have any expectations other than I'm gonna enjoy the ride, be rooting like hell for them on Sunday, and be big enough to deal with the results of the game whatever they may be.
Old 01-11-2013   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Super bowl contenders don't get beat like Green Bay and New England beat them . The also don't gag away HFA when they were healthy , for the most part , losing to the Vikings and Colts

SB contenders know the recipe and have the ingredients to make a run . I don't think the Texans have either at this point . They're just a nice , basic casseroles , nothing more .
I hear ya. But like I said, we're more than a speed bump. We're learning the recipe & if we beat New England, I like our chances against Manning & the Ravens.

Our record against elite teams leaves a lot lacking. As far as losing to Minnesota & Indy.... it's not like you didn't know we weren't playing very well.

But I think we've been playing better & better ever since. We played better against Minnesota than we did against New England (that's the game we got Newton back, I think), Second Indy game, we played better than we did against Minnesota (didn't win, but played better, played Houston Texans football).

Against Cincinnati, we looked really good on both offense & defense. We didn't score TDs, I get it. But the improvement from the week before was night & day. I have no doubt in my mind, that our guys aren't just sitting around hoping they play better.

Defensively, I wasn't expecting it, but the guys in the secondary really stepped up their game. 6 passes defensed. Maybe not a record or anything, but I can't remember the last time the Texans got 6 passes defensed in one game.

& Jjo looked good. I mean he looked like the guy that turned it around for us last year, before Watt was Watt. Now he's got Mega Watt playing in front of him....... oooooooo weeeeee I'm excited.

I'm really optimistic about this game coming up (if you can't tell). You may not be, but that's ok. But I feel, what you're looking for, you're about to see.
Old 01-11-2013   #78
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I hear ya. But like I said, we're more than a speed bump. We're learning the recipe & if we beat New England, I like our chances against Manning & the Ravens.

Our record against elite teams leaves a lot lacking. As far as losing to Minnesota & Indy.... it's not like you didn't know we weren't playing very well.

But I think we've been playing better & better ever since. We played better against Minnesota than we did against New England (that's the game we got Newton back, I think), Second Indy game, we played better than we did against Minnesota (didn't win, but played better, played Houston Texans football).

Against Cincinnati, we looked really good on both offense & defense. We didn't score TDs, I get it. But the improvement from the week before was night & day. I have no doubt in my mind, that our guys aren't just sitting around hoping they play better.

Defensively, I wasn't expecting it, but the guys in the secondary really stepped up their game. 6 passes defensed. Maybe not a record or anything, but I can't remember the last time the Texans got 6 passes defensed in one game.

& Jjo looked good. I mean he looked like the guy that turned it around for us last year, before Watt was Watt. Now he's got Mega Watt playing in front of him....... oooooooo weeeeee I'm excited.

I'm really optimistic about this game coming up (if you can't tell). You may not be, but that's ok. But I feel, what you're looking for, you're about to see.
Compare the Texans with Seattle who played GB , NE , SF , SF , and the Vikings . They were 4-1 with a rookie QB playing like the Texans want to .
Old 01-11-2013   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Compare the Texans with Seattle who played GB , NE , SF , SF , and the Vikings . They were 4-1 with a rookie QB playing like the Texans want to .

Weren't they Wild Cards, same as us?

Oh no, we won our division. Either way, they were playing last weekend, same as us. Whatever "big games" they won to get to the Play-offs, we won as many as well.

They're better against elite teams.... yeah. 4-1 against those teams & Minnesota may say as much.

They lost to Arizona.

They lost to St Louis.

The lost to San Francisco.

They lost to Detroit (we didn't).

They lost to Miami (we didn't).
Old 01-11-2013   #80
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Weren't they Wild Cards, same as us?

Oh no, we won our division. Either way, they were playing last weekend, same as us. Whatever "big games" they won to get to the Play-offs, we won as many as well.

They're better against elite teams.... yeah. 4-1 against those teams & Minnesota may say as much.

They lost to Arizona.

They lost to St Louis.

The lost to San Francisco.

They lost to Detroit (we didn't).

They lost to Miami (we didn't).
I would bet the Seahawks beat the Falcons because they got hot late and beat good teams . Their only loss against a good team was 13 to 6 .

Seattle knocks off top seed in the NFC while I'm hoping the Texans don't embarrass us again .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read