Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Patriots have positive history against Wade Phillips defenses

Patriots have positive history against Wade Phillips defenses

Quote:
Wade Phillips’s tenure as head coach in Buffalo and Dallas may not have ended well, but he is well-regarded as a defensive coordinator, and rightfully so: in six of the last seven years, defenses that Phillips has been in charge of have finished ranked in the top 10 in the league.

His units are always near the top of the league in sacks, are frequently stingy on third down, make it tough to run, and don’t surrender many points.

Despite all that, the Patriots don’t often struggle offensively when he is on the opposing sideline, and they hope that continues Sunday when they host the Texans in the playoffs.

Last month’s win over Houston was the third straight victory for New England against a Phillips-coached defense, going back to his days with the Chargers...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Patriots have positive history against Wade Phillips defenses

NOBODY predicts a win for the Texans. They are the classic underdogs. With that in mind, they need to play lights out and with complete abandon. Leave it all on the field.

The Patriots are the dynasty of the past decade. The Texans are the new up-and-comers, ready to try to wrestle some of that glory from the Patriots. This is Rocky vs. Apollo Creed, the U.S. olympic team vs. the professional Russian hockey team, David vs. Goliath!

I think it's a monumental task, but honestly, I do not think it to be impossible.
Old 01-08-2013   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think it's a monumental task, but honestly, I do not think it to be impossible.
I agree. I do think Wade's going to have put a wrinkle in his gameplan.
Old 01-08-2013   #4
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NOBODY predicts a win for the Texans. They are the classic underdogs. With that in mind, they need to play lights out and with complete abandon. Leave it all on the field.

The Patriots are the dynasty of the past decade. The Texans are the new up-and-comers, ready to try to wrestle some of that glory from the Patriots. This is Rocky vs. Apollo Creed, the U.S. olympic team vs. the professional Russian hockey team, David vs. Goliath!

Right on man.

Lets hope it doesn't turn out to be Apollo vs. the Russian, with the Texans being Apollo.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I agree. I do think Wade's going to have put a wrinkle in his gameplan.
Let's hope so. His last "gameplan" against them was pretty bad. I love the agressive man coverage and blitzing, but dadgum, mix in some other stuff. Especially against Brady
Old 01-10-2013   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

I've heard some Xs & Os guys talking about the key on defense is to stop the Patriots running game. Seems counter intuitive, but supposedly that's what won it in the past?
Old 01-10-2013   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Right on man.

Lets hope it doesn't turn out to be Apollo vs. the Russian, with the Texans being Apollo.
lol,

If he dies, he dies
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2013   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I've heard some Xs & Os guys talking about the key on defense is to stop the Patriots running game. Seems counter intuitive, but supposedly that's what won it in the past?
I think it's over-simplistic.

I don't see a key; you just have to outplay them overall in all phases - by just a hair - which is a tough task.

Unless you can completely shut their running game down (negative yardage on most first down runs) - another tough task.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #9
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Erm, I would suspect the Patriots have positive history against every team's defence over the last 10 years. This is hardly surprising.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The 9ers weren't supposed to beat the Cowboys 'till Montana found Clark in the back of the end zone....shift of power, dog becomes master

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When you had to start Jacques Reeves against Brady, you know you're gonna lose that game, LOL.

The 24-21 win over the Chargers wasn't on the Defense.

Both QBs had a bad day.
The Chargers even shut down the Pats running game.

The Chargers had fumbilitis and a good bounce here and there gave the Pats the win.

I think Brady had 3 INTs and Rivers one, but the Chargers lost 3 fumbles.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #12
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I was thinking about this the other day...

Prior to meeting in the Olympics the USA team faced the USSR in an exhibition in Madison Square Garden. The Soviets dominated to the tune of a 10-3 drubbing of the Americans. It is widely thought that the easy victory caused them to be over confident in their match up versus the USA on what came to be known as the miracle on ice...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read