Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2013   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Film Room: Why The Patriots Should Be So Very, Very Afraid Of The Texans

EXCELLENT breakdown of the Patriots schemes and how we should attack, with film to back it up. Very well done and a MUST read.

Quote:
I'm not going to lie. Re-watching the Week 14 match-up with the Patriots was tough. It was like watching a car crash that you know could have been prevented if the driver decided to stay on the old familiar highway rather than taking a detour on icy back roads. The hardest part for me was knowing that the game was very winnable, and that it could (and should) have gone the Texans' way if they did not forget how to play their own patented brand of football Ė run the ball on the edges, play defense, capitalize on turnovers, donít make mistakes, and just do enough to move the chains and eat clock. Houston did none of those things, and they paid dearly for it.

One bad interception here, a missed fumble recovery there, and a couple ill-advised play calls later, the Texans were down 21-0. They aren't built for that. New England is constructed on the mentality of a cobra Ė strike quick, strike hard, and donít stop until the enemy dies. Houston is designed like a python Ė they grab hold and suffocate their foes to death slowly, painfully, and efficiently. Gary Kubiak canít come back from 21 points in ten minutes, but if itís a tie game and you need one ten minute drive to close the half and keep Tom Brady off the field--that he can do in spades.

I donít expect this game to be anything like the first, especially if the Bengals Wild Card match-up is any indication. Last week I studied arguably the most lethal defense in football (especially over the second half of the season, where in my opinion they were the best defense in the league) and found one weakness Ė play action passing to tight ends. Low and behold, the Texans happen to be really, really good at passing to tight ends, and Owen Daniels went off for nine catches and over 90 yards (just as I predicted). Also making his return was Garrett Graham, Houstonís second tight end; Graham missed the New England Monday nighter. His presence was felt modestly in the pass game on Saturday afternoon, but in both pass protection and run blocking, he proved just how important he really is. Matt Schaub was barely sniffed by the best front four in the league, and Houston ran the ball with authority on the edges. Schaub also showed much, much better decision making as a passer than in recent weeks (pick six notwithstanding), and finally started getting his three time Pro Bowl running back involved as a receiver of something other than screen passes. Foster was used for the first time in a long time as Schaubís go-to hot receiver, and he made the Bengals' linebacking corps look silly in open space all day long. It was vintage Foster, and it felt damn good to watch.

After reviewing and making my notes on several Patriots games (including the Texans match-up), as well as reviewing Houstonís wild card game, I've determined four rules that the Texans absolutely must follow if they want to score enough points to upset New England this weekend.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/1/...-afraid-of-the

Last edited by Tailgate; 01-09-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #2
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Fim Room: Why The Patriots Should Be So Very, Very Afraid Of The Texans

Heh not sure about the very afraid but I agree the game will not be the same and some times the ball simply bounced the Patriots way. I think the Texans have a chance. Very good read man so thanks for bringing it up. The team just has to come to play and not kill themselves like last game and it will be a fight. That was really an excellent break down.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Fim Room: Why The Patriots Should Be So Very, Very Afraid Of The Texans

bah humbug

The Texans can beat the Patsies, but in order to do that the Texans must play ABOVE their level and the Patsies must play BELOW their level. This can happen of course, anything can, and I hope like hell we beat the crap out of them.

But I wouldn't put any money on it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #4
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

OMG, I couldn't get past the title of your thread due to heavy laughter.
Why The Patriots Should Be So Very, Very Afraid Of The Texans that's funny.

mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post

I agree, the title of HIS article is a bit dramatic. But the content is pretty spot on in terms of what we need to do to TRY and make this one an actual game.

That being said, the Pats are alot more healthy upfront which should help them against our attemps to run at the edges. Throw in the return of Gronk and who the eff knows how BB gameplans for us this time around... and it still would obviously be quite the upset if we somehow pulled it off.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #6
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post

Then perhaps you should actually read this because his analysis is very insightful, detailed, and spot-on according to the film. As the saying goes, tape don't lie. PUT ON THE FILM!

You might laugh, but I guarantee you they aren't laughing in the Patriots' practice facility. They know the Texans screwed up last time and Belichick will not take this offense lightly.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
EXCELLENT breakdown of the Patriots schemes and how we should attack, with film to back it up. Very well done and a MUST read.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/1/...-afraid-of-the
That was very well done. Whoever did it.... kudos.
Old 01-09-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
bah humbug

The Texans can beat the Patsies, but in order to do that the Texans must play ABOVE their level and the Patsies must play BELOW their level. This can happen of course, anything can, and I hope like hell we beat the crap out of them.

But I wouldn't put any money on it.
I hear ya.... but I hate this kind of thinking. Someone said the same thing before the last game & I pretty much said the same thing.... blah.....

If we're not good enough to beat them, so be it.

But I really believe some of our players had this kind of thinking & that's what led to the biggest snowball in Texans' history. Hurt us so bad, it lasted through 4 games. Our QB is still suffering from it.

Nah, they need to know (and I think we need to know) that them Patriots put their pants on just like we do, one leg at a time. Gronk's a beast, but so is OD. Welker's one of the best receivers to ever play the game.... so is Andre. Vince is a bad man.. so is Jj Watt.

Their QB looks good in a tank top.... big deal. This is a team game & our team is just as talented as theirs.

If we bring our A game, they don't stand a chance.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it
Old 01-09-2013   #9
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Excellent point, Fiddler. I hadn't thought of that but you are correct. The Texans have won a bunch of games the last two seasons and advanced to the AFC Divisional playoff yet so many are acting as if the Texans are a 9-win team that backed into the playoffs and have no business being on the same field with the big bad Pats.

I call bull****. They have the talent to beat this Pats team.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #10
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

1.More 4-5 reciever sets.
2.stop running on 2nd and long.
3.take shots down the field.
4.play ben tate.
5.stop playing offensive players on special team defense. take out posey and forsett and put defensive starters in. its not like we can afford to be lax on special teams defense considering we already suck.
6.go back to a play that worked earlier in the game.
7.call plays for keyshawn, lestar, casey.
8.use more sugar huddle.
9.use the middle of the field passing plays instead of side line throws.
10.for the love of god use more screen plays for foster.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Excellent point, Fiddler. I hadn't thought of that but you are correct. The Texans have won a bunch of games the last two seasons and advanced to the AFC Divisional playoff yet so many are acting as if the Texans are a 9-win team that backed into the playoffs and have no business being on the same field with the big bad Pats.

I call bull****. They have the talent to beat this Pats team.
Yes, they can do it. But it's not a question of talent alone. It's whether or not the Texans have the metal to pull it off in a playoff game. A playoff game where every little thing counts because the end of the season is ticking away for one of the two teams on the field.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

This article gives me more reason to wonder why we've gotten away from Foster in the passing game this season. I know we got him involved against the Bengals, but why so late? The dude can run, make people miss and get an extra yard or plenty after contact. Feed him!!!

Seems like the past few games Schaub forces the ball to AJ when his "timer" starts going off instead of looking for Arian
Old 01-09-2013   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
This article gives me more reason to wonder why we've gotten away from Foster in the passing game this season. I know we got him involved against the Bengals, but why so late? The dude can run, make people miss and get an extra yard or plenty after contact. Feed him!!!

Seems like the past few games Schaub forces the ball to AJ when his "timer" starts going off instead of looking for Arian
or most anyone else.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #14
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Then perhaps you should actually read this because his analysis is very insightful, detailed, and spot-on according to the film. As the saying goes, tape don't lie. PUT ON THE FILM!

You might laugh, but I guarantee you they aren't laughing in the Patriots' practice facility. They know the Texans screwed up last time and Belichick will not take this offense lightly.
I saw the film back on Dec. 9. End of discussion.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted his breakdown on the Bengal game and he hilighted Malaluaga as a potential achilles heel to the Bengals. Lo and behold, that player was picked on regularly in the WC game after that piece was written. It's not a bad read and I wondered what our newfound Pats members thought about it.
Old 01-09-2013   #16
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we get a mod to edit the thread title? Fim room is killin me.
Old 01-09-2013   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My concern is which coach can adjust if his game plan goes wrong.
Old 01-09-2013   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I believe we went back to the norm.
I had scribbled down some notes that lay around the house somewhere.

When AJ is healthy and OD is more or less healthy.

The pass distribution (targets, and just not completions) is quite normal.

And so we can afford to feed Arian more in the running game, unless we get way behind.

The other receivers (after AJ and Walter) need to step up.
They need to reduce the number of drops ; they need to play more physical not to let their man push them around; they need to run their routes better and not falling down, getting caught in the back of the defender, or giving the QB a little more room along the sideline, etc.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #19
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

hahaha!
Old 01-09-2013   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

hahaha!
Damn, that looks so real.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read