Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-02-2013   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default New Mock with a QB to develop

1) Dion Jordan, OLB

2) Kyle Long, OT

3) Zac Dysert, QB

3) Daniel McCullers, NT

4) DJ Swearinger, FS

5) Kenjon Barner, RB

5) Johnny Adams, CB

6) Manase Foketi, OT/OG

7) Zach Zudfeld, TE
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Reserved
Old 01-02-2013   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
1) Dion Jordan, OLB

2) Kyle Long, OT

3) Zac Dysert, QB

3) Daniel McCullers, NT

4) DJ Swearinger, FS

5) Kenjon Barner, RB

5) Johnny Adams, CB

6) Manase Foketi, OT/OG

7) Zach Zudfeld, TE
I'd jump at this one. Dysert prolly gone but if there would be good selection. Swearinger looked good recently. McCullers would need to drop signifcantly imo as did Brooks across th eline but he cannot be worse than Cody. I'd start Mitchell and get Mc in as much as possible. You don't have a WR but I have argued we may go with what we have. I just don't get the fascination with Long other than bloodlines.
Old 01-03-2013   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Jordan and Long, tons of athletic potential but might take a year to polish up their game. I don't know anything about Dysert, haven't been researching QB's. I don't like McCullers, to tall for NT where getting low for leverage is key. Swearinger, should add some good depth/competition. I haven't researched RB's either so don't know anything about Barner either. I love the Adams pick but it might take some luck in the 5th. He's got a good skill set and speed to add some quality depth to the CB corp.. Not familiar with Foketi or Zudfeld but I like the positions chosen.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not that it matters but Dion Jordan and his buddies were siphoning gas with a vacuum cleaner in high school and he snapped that this wasn't the brightest thing to do . He ran into his garage and pulled the plug which ignited the fumes . He was burnt pretty bad and missed the last 5 games of high school . Oregon still honored his scholarship and the rest is history .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I have began to back away from Jordan especially after his last game and Rey no ILB?
Old 01-08-2013   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have began to back away from Jordan especially after his last game and Rey no ILB?
Not a fan of the ILB's in this draft. I think this is a weak class for ILB. I'd rather go the FA route or trade for a guy under a reasonable contract.

Bart Scott will probably be released this off season. Mauluga might be available. Both of those guys would be talent upgrades IMO and wouldn't need to be every down players.

BUT.....when all compensatory picks are announced I will probably add an ILB somewhere in my mocks...
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2013   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not a fan of the ILB's in this draft. I think this is a weak class for ILB. I'd rather go the FA route or trade for a guy under a reasonable contract.

Bart Scott will probably be released this off season. Mauluga might be available. Both of those guys would be talent upgrades IMO and wouldn't need to be every down players.

BUT.....when all compensatory picks are announced I will probably add an ILB somewhere in my mocks...
Bart Scott is not Texans material. Maulaga would be a nice get though.
Old 01-09-2013   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Bart Scott is not Texans material. Maulaga would be a nice get though.
Did.you not watch the last game? Mauluga is no better than Brady James. Probably even worse in coverage.
Old 01-09-2013   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Did.you not watch the last game? Mauluga is no better than Brady James. Probably even worse in coverage.
Bradie was thought to be terrible in Dallas too. Rudd was out of a job.

I think mauluga has more ability than both of them. I think in this defense he'd get good coaching and be put in a better position to succeed. In our defense he wouldn't be the only MLB. His responsibilities would be different. We wouldn't have him playing man over te's.

Mauluga is not great in coverage, but his run defense is pretty good.

Not many mlb's can hold Arian or od one on one.
Old 01-09-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
3) Zac Dysert, QB

No. no, no , no, no, he77 no.

& I'll tell you why. It's actually the same for all your picks except Kyle Long & Johnny Adams.

We have too much trouble already with Walter(s) & Daniels. We don't need any Zac without a K, or Fikuta's, or Dions (i instead of e) that's bull crap. We need Jack Smiths & Ron Joneses.
Old 01-09-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mauluga is not great in coverage, but his run defense is pretty good.
We need to get away from ILBs with this type of description. This is the biggest problem with our ILBs.... other than Bradie James being Bradie James.

This can be said for all our ILBs going back to Demeco.
Old 01-09-2013   #13
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
We need to get away from ILBs with this type of description. This is the biggest problem with our ILBs.... other than Bradie James being Bradie James.

you must remember though that in passing situations we only play 1 MLB and put in an extra safety or CB
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
you must remember though that in passing situations we only play 1 MLB and put in an extra safety or CB
So let teams exploit him on first and second down then take him out? Don't you think wade would rather have his base defense in no matter what the situation is if he had the personnel to do it.
Old 01-09-2013   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Exactly!
Old 01-10-2013   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

No we don't.

We need lb's with talent and ability. Bradie. James is not a real good player. He's below average. Same thing for the rest of the bunch.

Odds are you're not going to find a player that is great against the run and pass and can blitz. If yoy find a guy like that he'd be Brian Cushing.

We need to upgrade the talent level and as far as I'm concerned mauluga fits that bill. He's a better player than every MLB we have on the roster not named Cushing. And while he may not be the best in coverage, this scheme will put him in position to succeed.

How many mlb's can check Arian or od 1 on 1?

Don't let their stupid defensive coordinator cloud your judgement. We don't ask our guys to do that.
Old 01-10-2013   #17
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No we don't.

We need lb's with talent and ability. Bradie. James is not a real good player. He's below average. Same thing for the rest of the bunch.

Odds are you're not going to find a player that is great against the run and pass and can blitz. If yoy find a guy like that he'd be Brian Cushing.

We need to upgrade the talent level and as far as I'm concerned mauluga fits that bill. He's a better player than every MLB we have on the roster not named Cushing. And while he may not be the best in coverage, this scheme will put him in position to succeed.

Don't let their stupid defensive coordinator cloud your judgement. We don't ask our guys to do that.

yeah have to agree
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No we don't.

Seriously? Their stupid defensive coordinator? They have one of the best defenses in the NFL. the reason we don't ask our guys to do that is be wise none of them can. Don't you think wade would if he could?
Old 01-10-2013   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
However many of them there are, Maualuga isn't one of them. OD & Arian had career days against him.

I liked Maualuga coming out of USC, he's the one I wanted at the time. But right now, sorry... don't see him as an upgrade over Dobbins much less Sharpton & he's definitely no replacement for DeMeco.

Sorry, just not seeing it.

We need to upgrade the talent, we need to get more athletic at the position, we need someone who is "great" in coverage.. Cushing is not. He's pretty good, but not "great"

We need a bigger Glover Quin for our next ILB.
Old 01-15-2013   #20
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dysert is still there 3rd round, I would take it.
1. He's confident in the pocket, but sometimes he's a little too dependent on the O-line.
2. Good mobility and can extend the play if necessary.
3. Pretends he's a runningback sometimes, and takes too many hits when he runs the ball. He just needs to slide more often.
4. Puts the ball away from the defender on short passes.
5. He likes big bodied receivers so I could see him hitting Graham a lot.

I think he needs a lot of work in the NFL though. Could be starter in a couple years.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read