Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2013   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)

Honestly didnt think players paid attention to articles and stuff. So kind of interesting...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...d-column-funny

Quote:
Arian Foster put up the lead of Dan Shaughnessy’s recent Boston Globe column as his Twitter avatar.

When a follower asked if he felt disrespected by the piece that called the Texans a layup and tomato cans for Patriots on Sunday, Foster replied: “Not at all. Just thought it was funny.”

Of Dan Shaughnessy's recent Boston Globe column, Texans' left tackle Duane Brown said: "I don't think it was funny. I don't think it was funny at all." Foster’s left tackle, Duane Brown, expanded on that when I spoke to him a bit on Tuesday evening. Brown said he thinks the first back to top 100 yards in each of his first three playoff games simply found the piece to be a joke.

“I thought he did it more as a joke,” Brown said of Foster’s avatar switch. “I don’t think he saw it as bulletin board material. I think he just sort of thought it was funny.”
Old 01-08-2013   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)

I don't understand the tomato can thing myself.

Can anyone break it down for me?
Old 01-08-2013   #3
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Tomato Can = a term (in boxing) to describe an opponent who may appear to be real competition, however, isn't in the same league as the fighter he is going up against.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Honestly didnt think players paid attention to articles and stuff. So kind of interesting...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...d-column-funny
I was listening to Randy Cross on the radio earlier today (yeah, that Cross - longtime center for the 9ers) and he was asked about Shaughnessy's piece and how that may affect the Texans players. He was of the opinion that 80-90% of the players wouldn't be affected, but also warned that you need to be carefull of the 10-20% that it may have an effect on...

I thought it was pretty insightfull.

Anyway, Arian Foster changing his Twitter avatar to Schaughnessy's piece was probably only that Arian marches to his own beat and not that he sweats this asshat!
Old 01-08-2013   #5
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I misinterpreted 1 and done so what the hell would I know about tomato cans?
Old 01-08-2013   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I misinterpreted 1 and done so what the hell would I know about tomato cans?
Mike Tyson v. Micheal Spinks...... Spinks being a "tomato can".... (or at least after the fact - 91 seconds if memory serves correct).
Old 01-08-2013   #7
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Mike Tyson v. Micheal Spinks...... Spinks being a "tomato can".... (or at least after the fact - 91 seconds if memory serves correct).
Do people fight tomato cans often?
Old 01-08-2013   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Well the sport of boxing has been a bunch of tomato cans for a long time.. Now, that said, I know the expression originated in boxing but have no idea how it really came about.
Old 01-08-2013   #9
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well the sport of boxing has been a bunch of tomato cans for a long time.. Now, that said, I know the expression originated in boxing but have no idea how it really came about.
It's origin is based on a fighter, who would bleed a lot in a fight, but it is now used to reference a weaker opponent, who is easily defeated.

Last edited by LonerATO; 01-08-2013 at 10:49 PM.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #10
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
It's origin is based on a fighter who would bleed a lot in a fight, but it is now used to reference a weaker opponent who is easily defeated.
Rep.

Lol. I was about to start looking over my shoulder more often in the grocery store...
Old 01-08-2013   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Spinks was 31-0 prior to the Tyson fightand considered one of the greatest Light Heavyweights of all time. Buster Douglas was considered a "tomato can", a 40-1 underdog. Then he knocked Iron Mike out.
Old 01-08-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Rocky (1976)
Quote:
Mickey: You know what you are?
Rocky: No, what?
Mickey: A tomato.
Rocky: A tomato?
Mickey: Yeah, and I'm running a business here, not a goddamn soup kitchen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_can_(sports_idiom)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
It's origin is based on a fighter who would bleed a lot in a fight, but it is now used to reference a weaker opponent who is easily defeated.
Thank You!! Equally repped!
Old 01-08-2013   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Spinks was 31-0 prior to the Tyson fightand considered one of the greatest Light Heavyweights of all time. Buster Douglas was considered a "tomato can", a 40-1 underdog. Then he knocked Iron Mike out.
While I agree with Douglas being considered a "tomato can" going "in" as a 40-1 underdog, Spinks, a then thought of a worthy opponent (31-0 as you point out), became a "tomato can" after the fact, whenever he got knocked out as quickly as he did. Which, BTW lends itself to the demise of Heavy Weight Boxing (as we all knew it)....

Sure there was Lennox Lewis, maybe another or two... BUT EFFFFF, what the hell happened to Boxing at the bigger weight????
Old 01-08-2013   #15
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Edit
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #16
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
While I agree with Douglas being considered a "tomato can" going "in" as a 40-1 underdog, Spinks, a then thought of a worthy opponent (31-0 as you point out), became a "tomato can" after the fact, whenever he got knocked out as quickly as he did. Which, BTW lends itself to the demise of Heavy Weight Boxing (as we all knew it)....

Sure there was Lennox Lewis, maybe another or two... BUT EFFFFF, what the hell happened to Boxing at the bigger weight????
Don king sucks. And so does this ******* columnist.
Old 01-08-2013   #17
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

this turned into a boxing thread hmmm

The last time i watched a boxing match we payed 95$ to see Tyson "knocked out" in the first 30 seconds of the fight. Yeah that kinda turned me away from that, plus it looked so staged that WWE could of done it better.
Old 01-08-2013   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The last time i watched a boxing match we payed 95$ to see Tyson "knocked out" in the first 30 seconds of the fight. Yeah that kinda turned me away from that, plus it looked so staged that WWE could of done it better.
Can't believe that some of you have never heard that reference.
Old 01-08-2013   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Roy jones jr vs. some guy here. $50.

1st round...circle the guy circle...faint, circle.
2nd round...circles, maybe 2 jabs that connected.
3rd round...caught with a counter punch 20 seconds in. Game over.

Never again.

I guess if we want to keep this thread in the football forum I should say something like, "lets hit the pats with some haymakers!"
Old 01-09-2013   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you throw them at your TV after a Texans loss, you'll still have yer beer.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read