Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-23-2005   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
...I'm just saying that a guy like Saban who knows he's going to be back next year can concentrate on evaluating his talent (and getting rid of some of those "Incomplete" grades) whereas a coach in Capers situation can't do that. He's got to try to win right now even though those wins don't really accomplish anything since they are coming against bad teams at the end of losing seasons.
Capers is trying to win? I thought he was on a mission to take the game of football back to the days of leather helmets. I'd hate to see what this team would look like if Capers wasn't trying to win.

Saban's comments seem a little self serving considering the fact that the Fins have lost 6 of 7 games. I don't remember the Nicktator poo-pooing winning when Miami started out 2-1.
Old 11-23-2005   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Well there is a way for McNair to do this with the current staff. I know this will violate the terms of the fire Capers club, but McNair could go to Capers and staff and say look, continuing to do what you are doing isn't going to save your jobs. The one chance you have is to get creative (like Capers and/or Fangio did in 2003 cobbling a D together after all those injuries), get gutsy, get aggressive and show me you can make a difference to these players and can play more than one style of game. Right now, thinking they are out of here anyway, they have no reason to risk something that will be analyzed on ESPN as the stupid play of the week. Give them a reason to take the risk. IMO it is unlikely they earn back their jobs, but at least they might try.

That I completely agree with. It won't happen probably and if it did I wonder whether Dom could actually get "creative" on demand (in 2003 he and Fangio were kind of forced into it) but I'd like to see them try.

As much as I believe we need to "Fire Capers" I sometimes wonder if we might not get as good or better results from simply going out and finding a couple of new coordinators. Palmer was a misfit here from the start and Pendry is a failed retread. Fangio's record speaks for itself.

Sadly replacing Dom is probably the only way to get the rest of the staff purged because of that annoying "Loyalty" thing Dom has working. Loyalty to people who aren't getting the job done is misplaced.
Old 11-23-2005   #23
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Capers is trying to win? I thought he was on a mission to take the game of football back to the days of leather helmets. I'd hate to see what this team would look like if Capers wasn't trying to win.

Saban's comments seem a little self serving considering the fact that the Fins have lost 6 of 7 games. I don't remember the Nicktator poo-pooing winning when Miami started out 2-1.

Yeah, maybe things are a lot worse than he thought and he's buying some time. He can get away with that though because he's got the time to spare. Dom has no time left. If Saban finds himself at 1-9 ten weeks into his fourth year in Miami he won't be talking about evaluating talent either.
Old 11-23-2005   #24
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63719 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As much as I believe we need to "Fire Capers" I sometimes wonder if we might not get as good or better results from simply going out and finding a couple of new coordinators.
a) That idea has some merit for this year
b) It will never happen

Capers gives so much control to his coordinators that replacing Pendry and Fangio NOW would give us some continuity with Capers and still allow the opportunity to evaluate talent through the fresh eyes of the new coordinators. However, it leaves the team with the same question - are the coordinators the Texans want available now, or with other teams?
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #25
texan_fan
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to texan_fan

Quote:
Defense

Sharper should still be here. That was a mistake. I understand why they let go of Foreman but letting Sharper go in hindsight was insanely stupid.

Thank you. I have been saying that since the moronic powers that be released him.
Old 11-23-2005   #26
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I just do not agree with the thought process that goes into saying Carr can't get it done. As mentioned above, you don't go get Lienart either because he will struggle with this team..
I agree that Leinhart wouldn't work on this team. He is a good QB, but he has a world of talent behind him right now!

bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #27
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Well said, man.

I agree about taking a LT in the first round. It's very tempting to take a good hard look at Bush (if he's available), because you'd hate to pass on the next big time RB. But, that being said, games are won and lost in the trenches, and left tackles are next to impossible to find as free agents. Teams can make decent backs look good with great offensive lines (look no further than the Broncos year after year).

At QB, Carr is not worth the money slated to pay him, based upon what we've seen in almost four seasons. There comes a point when we can no longer make excuses for him - potential but bad o-line yada yada yada - because he has had some opportunities to make things happen, but he didn't. Maybe if they can restructure his contract to free up some money we could keep him. But $8 million at this point would be a foolish decision.

Overall, I agree with your assessment of our team. There are many, many holes to fill, and hopefully a new coaching staff can work with our existing talent, weed out the players that are just taking up space, and add new players via draft and free agency to put together a team that competes week in and week out.
Passing on Reggie Bush would be the worst decision this franchise has made so far. Trade up for another early first roundpick and go from there. But, if they can get Reggie Bush, then they cannot pass that oppurtunity.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #28
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time. It's like, Bush would get Houston on the highlight reel regularly, but at the same time, is this the way we need to go? That's my only fear is that we get Bush, fix the offense, but Carr only has like, 3 seconds to do anything.

If Carr only has three seconds to do anything then trust me, Reggie Bush or no Reggie Bush our offense won't be fixed.

The idea of trading back up into the first round to get a LT (assuming you used your top pick on Bush) is interesting to me though. For one thing you would have to be absolutely positive beyond a shadow of a doubt convinced that Reggie Bush was going to be the next great running back. I don't know that I am but setting that aside for a moment I wonder what it would take to get far enough up into the first to secure a real high end LT prospect. This draft is supposed to have a couple of them and not everyone needs one.

The thing that bugs me about it is that you solve your RB need and you get that future LT in this arrangement but you don't get that TE in the second or that Buchanon replacing CB in the third. I think I want the picks more than I want two 1's and I want a LT that everyone else in the NFL wishes they had more than I want Reggie Bush. Last year it was Cadillac and Brown, this year it's Bush. There will be other running backs just like there will be other left tackles.
Old 11-23-2005   #29
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
I just think a back who can carry the ball 30+ times a game and move the chains rain or shine would do wonders for the pass protection and the win column. I don't think Domanick Davis is that back.

For all he's done in his time here one thing stays the same. Domanick Davis won't beat you. He'll get some yards and score touchdowns when the Texans make it down inside the 10 (no worries, that won't happen often) but he won't run all over you and the Texans can't eat the clock up.

Nobody on our team can get the tough yards when everybody knows you're going to run.
I have been saying this same thing for a long time and get blasted for saying it. I am not a DD fan at all. He is a back-up at best, but that is JMHO. We need now and have always needed, a stud back there that can break tackles when needed and move the chains.

I am only 1 fan that is looking very forward to the draft and a new coaches...
Old 11-24-2005   #30
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

After reading Hervoyel’s analysis, I would say it is one of the most complete and thoughtful analysis of this football team I have read anywhere.

Instead of nit picking Hervoyel's analysis, I would like to see other members of this board try to perform a complete analysis of the Texans and then post it on this board. As for me, Hervoyel's analysis works for me.

Last edited by Wharton; 11-24-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005   #31
phan1
All Pro

I think what we need desperately are LINEBACKERS. I think the need is just glaringly obvious after watching Alexander and Johnson run all over us. That was just embarrasing. Our team has always gone as far as our defense allowed us, and right now our linebackers are pathetic. Outside of Kailee Wong, every one of our linebackers could be considered a bust. None of them have been able to perform like we had hoped.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005   #32
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
After reading Hervoyel’s analysis, I would say it is one of the most complete and thoughtful analysis of this football team I have read anywhere.

Instead of nit picking Hervoyel's analysis, I would like to see other members of this board try to perform a complete analysis of the Texans and then post it on this board. As for me, Hervoyel's analysis works for me.
I second that opinion! Great job, Hervoyel - from your keyboard to McNair's eyes and ears.

I, for one, think the Texans should hire Hervoyel.....now! He gets my vote and my psl money.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005   #33
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

With the amount of changes you are proposing this is a 2 or 3 year process. if i were the team i would address the offense first cause that might keep the fans.(me)
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read