Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-07-2013   #1
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coons mock 2.0

Sorry for posting another mock so soon. I was talking draft with a coaching friend of mine and we started talking about the Qbs that could potentially be in the 2014 draft. Next year Manzeil, Bridgewater, Marcus Marriota, and A.J. McCarron could all come out, I think they are better prospects than anyone we could get this year, and it completely changed my mock. I would rather use a first rounder in 2014 on one of them if possible. So here is my Qb free updated 2013 Mock draft. Let me know who you like, don't like, or who you think is better.

1. Kenny Vaccaro S 61 215 Texas :
Our third safety is on the field enough that he is pretty much a starter. I feel fine taking a third safety in the first round. Vaccaro and Elam are neck and neck in my eyes as prospects so I went with size.

2. Margus Hunt DE\OLB 68 280:
Big Freakishly athletic dude in the Mario Williams mold, runs a 4.7. Wasnt as productive in college as I would like, but he moved to the states from Estonia and picked up football recently. CBS named him the number 1 athletic freak in college football. Coach him up and he will be monstrous.

3. Da Rick Rodgers WR 63 208 Tenn. Tech:
Crazy potential. Big, fast, physical, and talented, just a bit of a dummy. Dont like that but I think its worth a shot. This is where I wanted to take a shot on a Qb, but I changed my tune. Would rather take a shot on a potential franchise WR.

3. (comp.) Arthur Brown ILB 61 230:
He will fall due to lack of ideal size, but has the speed and lateral quickness to cover Rbs and Tes in the NFL. . He is a phenomenal tackler with great instincts

4. Ricky Wagner OT 66 320 Wisc:
Wagner is a plus athlete at the tackle position, having been a division 1 basketball recruit out of high school. He has improved consistently in the O-line breeding ground that is Wisconsin. In a perfect world Jake Matthews falls to us in the first, but when he doesnt there are a few guys in the mid rounds with good potential and definite upgrades to Newton. I believe Wagner is one of them.

5. Darius Slay CB 61 190 Miss. ST:
Slay is a big physical cornerback who produced in the sec. He had 5 picks this season. Depth in case we lose Ball, and Mccain.

5. (comp.) Anthony McCloud Dt 62 322 FSU:
Big strong NT, absorbs blockers well and does a decent job shooting gaps. Bjorn Werner is a better player because of him.

6. Zac Line FB 61 230 SMU:
We need a true fullback. Line can be that true fullback, but still has the ability to be a viable receiving option out of the backfield as well as a short yardage bruiser. He will need to add 10-15 lbs of bulk, but he lost some to be a running back at SMU. He was recruited as a LB so he will not shy away from contact.

7. Marquise Goodwin. WR/KR, 59 180 Texas:
Not a big fan of strictly KR players on the roster, but we need help in special teams. BAD
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coons mock 2.0

I don't get the Vaccaro love.

He is not all that to me....

I think there are better safeties in this draft.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #3
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

He has good size, speed, and instincts. I get the apprehension. I flip between him and Elam because Vaccaro is better in most measurable ways, but he played on a bad defense that missed alot of tackles. He is a good player though.
Old 01-07-2013   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I just wouldn't be ok with Vaccaro. He misses tackle, doesn't play consistently physical.

He looks like a big cover corner to me...Not a safety. I wouldn't touch KV until the third round.
Old 01-07-2013   #5
coon
Veteran

Quote:
I just wouldn't be ok with Vaccaro. He misses tackle, doesn't play consistently physical.

He looks like a big cover corner to me...Not a safety. I wouldn't touch KV until the third round.
Fair enough. I know you like Dysert, do you like him more than the guys we could get next year.
Old 01-07-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
Sorry for posting another mock so soon. I was talking draft with a coaching friend of mine and we started talking about the Qbs that could potentially be in the 2014 draft. Next year Manzeil, Bridgewater, Marcus Marriota, and A.J. McCarron could all come out, I think they are better prospects than anyone we could get this year, and it completely changed my mock. I would rather use a first rounder in 2014 on one of them if possible. So here is my Qb free updated 2013 Mock draft. Let me know who you like, don't like, or who you think is better.

Our third safety is on the field enough that he is pretty much a starter. I feel fine taking a third safety in the first round. Vaccaro and Elam are neck and neck in my eyes as prospects so I went with size.

Big Freakishly athletic dude in the Mario Williams mold, runs a 4.7. Wasnt as productive in college as I would like, but he moved to the states from Estonia and picked up football recently. CBS named him the number 1 athletic freak in college football. Coach him up and he will be monstrous.

Crazy potential. Big, fast, physical, and talented, just a bit of a dummy. Dont like that but I think its worth a shot. This is where I wanted to take a shot on a Qb, but I changed my tune. Would rather take a shot on a potential franchise WR.

He will fall due to lack of ideal size, but has the speed and lateral quickness to cover Rbs and Tes in the NFL. . He is a phenomenal tackler with great instincts

Wagner is a plus athlete at the tackle position, having been a division 1 basketball recruit out of high school. He has improved consistently in the O-line breeding ground that is Wisconsin. In a perfect world Jake Matthews falls to us in the first, but when he doesnt there are a few guys in the mid rounds with good potential and definite upgrades to Newton. I believe Wagner is one of them.

Slay is a big physical cornerback who produced in the sec. He had 5 picks this season. Depth in case we lose Ball, and Mccain.

Big strong NT, absorbs blockers well and does a decent job shooting gaps. Bjorn Werner is a better player because of him.

We need a true fullback. Line can be that true fullback, but still has the ability to be a viable receiving option out of the backfield as well as a short yardage bruiser. He will need to add 10-15 lbs of bulk, but he lost some to be a running back at SMU. He was recruited as a LB so he will not shy away from contact.

Not a big fan of strictly KR players on the roster, but we need help in special teams. BAD
I have watched Teddy Bridgewater one game as not a fan of Luisville but he was super good. I like his size 6'3 over Manziel 6'1" and his stats are great. I want to watch next season to evaluate him.

1. Not a big fan of Vaccaro & you be drafting him to play back up. rather have different postion here, especially as you have Slay in 5th as I do. He can play back up FS & CB. I go WR Patterson. Give your QB someone to throw to. Or David Amerson for safety in second?

Convince me Texans will draft Rogers with drug issues even if MJ? Not a one time thing.
Old 01-07-2013   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fair enough. I know you like Dysert, do you like him more than the guys we could get next year.
As a big fan of Dysert I'd like to opinionate here. IF you want a QB, you have a better chance at drafting Dysert in second in 13 than Manziel or Bridgewater who should be top 20 or up in first round 2014. Just my two cents.
Old 01-07-2013   #8
coon
Veteran

I'm not convinced myself that Rodgers is someone the Texans would take. I'm just not a fan of the Tennessee guys. Hopefully Keenan Allen's injury causes him to fall to us in the first. On Dysert I have watched all his throws from 6 games so far. Accurate and very good arm. His receivers drop alot of passes that are well thrown. He looks really good, butI do like Mccarron and Mariota more though. I would be ok taking Dysert, it's risky to assume that Manziel and Mariota declare. Just a thought.
Old 01-07-2013   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I like Tajh Boyd...
Old 01-07-2013   #10
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Tajh Boyd...
Me too. Proved a lot against LSU.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'm not convinced myself that Rodgers is someone the Texans would take. I'm just not a fan of the Tennessee guys. Hopefully Keenan Allen's injury causes him to fall to us in the first. On Dysert I have watched all his throws from 6 games so far. Accurate and very good arm. His receivers drop alot of passes that are well thrown. He looks really good, butI do like Mccarron and Mariota more though. I would be ok taking Dysert, it's risky to assume that Manziel and Mariota declare. Just a thought.
Plus to trade up in '14 you have to offer a lot. Not saying we should not but keeping in mind.
Old 01-07-2013   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Coon, you should make this your avatar:

Old 01-07-2013   #13
coon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As a big fan of Dysert I'd like to opinionate here. IF you want a QB, you have a better chance at drafting Dysert in second in 13 than Manziel or Bridgewater who should be top 20 or up in first round 2014. Just my two cents.
Bridgewater will go top 5, I have watched 5 or 6 of his games. He is for real. I actually hope that if Manziel, Bridgewater, and Mariota declared that we could get Mccarron. I like A.J. McCarron alot, if he came out this year I think he would be the first Qb taken. He gets lumped in with Mcelroy and Parker Wilson, but he is on another level talent wise.
Old 01-07-2013   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Me either,

Tell me the difference between KV in the 1st and Duke Williams in the 3rd/4th rd?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #15
ralph
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I pick Elam every time. I really hope he's there when we pick.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #16
ralph
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. Obviously Bridgewater is a better prospect but we're not getting him. I like Dysert in the 2nd or 3rd.

I think I might draft Barkley if he dropped to us. One of a few QBs with star potential.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #17
coon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Agreed. Obviously Bridgewater is a better prospect but we're not getting him. I like Dysert in the 2nd or 3rd.

I think I might draft Barkley if he dropped to us. One of a few QBs with star potential.
I would rather wait. Bridgewater, and the redshirt freshmen, Manziel and Mariota would probably push Mccarron down if they declare. I like A.J. better than anyone we could get this year. I would be ok taking a Qb this draft since that is a risky move, but not Barkley. Barkley's ceiling is probably comparable to Matt Schaub IMO.
Old 01-08-2013   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I made Kenny Vaccaro my first round pick for the Texans too in my last mock, so props for knowing the position & how it fits within framework of Phillips interchangeable safety framework. He is an upgrade over Quin & Manning plus can play both positions.

Kinda fell for Hunt in his bowl game myself. Would like more exposure to more tape & verify what I saw actually was @ the same level & if it was then I would have no problem taking him off the board.

I think Rodgers will be snapped up somewhere in the 2nd rd. Would be top WR if not for academics & off field issue.

Not a big fan of Brown but like position targeted. Think he is better suited in a 4-3 playing Will.

Wagner would be a steal in the 4th. I think his stock improved after Wisconsin bowl game.

Again remember Texans are selected end of every round so a 4th is like a 5th & a 5th is like a th. Slay here would be a tremendous value.

Florida State is littered with NFL talent on both lines & the secondary. I have to question their coaching & ability to play together as a team. With all the talent they don't take a back seat to any team, not even Alabama. That said with all that talent sometimes its hard to tell how well they stand out if not surrounded by such elite talent? That said I would probably push for his teammate Everett Dawkins, he's a little more polished & quicker with that high Seminole motor.

You could go Seminole again with Lonnie Pryor?

I was wondering when someone would mention Goodwin? Dudes got some wheels & we do need special teams help. I like him.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #19
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I made Kenny Vaccaro my first round pick for the Texans too in my last mock, so props for knowing the position & how it fits within framework of Phillips interchangeable safety framework. He is an upgrade over Quin & Manning plus can play both positions.

Kinda fell for Hunt in his bowl game myself. Would like more exposure to more tape & verify what I saw actually was @ the same level & if it was then I would have no problem taking him off the board.

I think Rodgers will be snapped up somewhere in the 2nd rd. Would be top WR if not for academics & off field issue.

Not a big fan of Brown but like position targeted. Think he is better suited in a 4-3 playing Will.

Wagner would be a steal in the 4th. I think his stock improved after Wisconsin bowl game.

Again remember Texans are selected end of every round so a 4th is like a 5th & a 5th is like a th. Slay here would be a tremendous value.

Florida State is littered with NFL talent on both lines & the secondary. I have to question their coaching & ability to play together as a team. With all the talent they don't take a back seat to any team, not even Alabama. That said with all that talent sometimes its hard to tell how well they stand out if not surrounded by such elite talent? That said I would probably push for his teammate Everett Dawkins, he's a little more polished & quicker with that high Seminole motor.

You could go Seminole again with Lonnie Pryor?

I was wondering when someone would mention Goodwin? Dudes got some wheels & we do need special teams help. I like him.
Speaking of FSU.....

Their RT Menelik Watson is going pro. He's a kid from England who has only played football for 2 years. This past year was his first as a starter (I think) and he played very well. FSU fans are distraught that he's leaving so I take it they think he's pretty good.

Haven't had a chance to look at him yet but just passing along an FYI since we need a RT. Might be someone you want to take a look at.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #20
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have watched Teddy Bridgewater one game as not a fan of Luisville but he was super good. I like his size 6'3 over Manziel 6'1" and his stats are great. I want to watch next season to evaluate him.
I really liked Bridgewater too, he is one QB that really jumped off the screen during my limited college football viewing this year.

Hope we aren't in a position to draft him next year though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read