Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2013   #41
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Game Planning for the Patriots

how about not running directly at wilfork this time.spread the ball around. secure loose balls. some cover 2 would be nice. refs swallow some whistles and then maybe we'll have a shot.
Old 01-07-2013   #42
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 265 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to come out conservative. Run the ball. Play action on 2 and short if we get it and short passes for 1str downs Don't give Brady a lot of possessions because he will turn most of the into points. I hope Kubiak comes out running the ball two TE set and PA two tight end set. See if Wilfork can have an A+ game again because chances are he was guessing right that game. Amazing if you ask me. Brady will have a good game always does. Schuab needs to have a great game especially on 3rd down. Andre needed to catch that pass last week but its over with. Andre needs to make some plays and Devier needs to get open to help Schuab out. the dude folds under pressure from the D line. Best game from the O Lines IMO last game. well, one of the best.

Defensively, i dk what were going to do about Gronk and Aaron Hernandez.

I hope wedon't concentrate on them so much they beat up deep with the WR's. Brady can make any throw and that scares me. Welker is going to piss me off on 3rd down i already know it.

Texans need to capitalize on turnover chances and get a good lead. Watch the 49er's game.
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
But even without it, We can already see that the Texans lacked in preparation and execution so often.

For example, we also send our TEs, FB, and RB out wide or into the slots for years now; to see the team not ready for it was just mind-blowing.
I hear you, but the Patriots are a different beast. As creative as Kubiak & Shanahan were with their formations, Bellichick & McDanieals takes it to another level. A lot of their offense is about moving Woodhead & Welker around making it difficult to find them. That's why those two always seem so wide open.

I thought one of the keys to the game was identifying them & knowing where they were. I think Wade made a big deal about it & that's where they were focusing their attention. You've got to find them first, then find everyone else.

I think that's how Hernandez got lost in the mix. If Gronk was playing, that wouldn't have happened, because he would have been another one of those guys they have to locate before snap.
Old 01-07-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Touchdown View Post
Welker is going to piss me off on 3rd down i already know it.
FYI, Welker had 3 catches for 52 yards on 11 targets. I hope they put Kj on him all game.
Old 01-07-2013   #45
patfanken
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 patfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Touchdown View Post
We need to come out conservative. Run the ball. Play action on 2 and short if we get it and short passes for 1str downs Don't give Brady a lot of possessions because he will turn most of the into points. I hope Kubiak comes out running the ball two TE set and PA two tight end set. See if Wilfork can have an A+ game again because chances are he was guessing right that game. Amazing if you ask me. Brady will have a good game always does. Schuab needs to have a great game especially on 3rd down. Andre needed to catch that pass last week but its over with. Andre needs to make some plays and Devier needs to get open to help Schuab out. the dude folds under pressure from the D line. Best game from the O Lines IMO last game. well, one of the best.

Defensively, i dk what were going to do about Gronk and Aaron Hernandez.

I hope wedon't concentrate on them so much they beat up deep with the WR's. Brady can make any throw and that scares me. Welker is going to piss me off on 3rd down i already know it.

Texans need to capitalize on turnover chances and get a good lead. Watch the 49er's game.
If the Texans do that they will be playing to the Pats strength which is run defense (7th). I think Houston would be better off starting the game with a lot of play action passes and trying to get something deep going. The Pats have been a lot better lately, but for the season I think they have given up more 20+ yd pass plays than anyone else in the league.

To go into Gillette and hope to beat the Pats, Kubiak can't play not to lose. There are too many advantages that favor the Pats. In that case he has play to win.

That means to be willing to be very physical with the Pats receiver, daring the officials to throw flags. Be willing to take a few early and eventually they'll stop. They won't throw a flag every play. You have to be willing to go for it on 4th down. You have to be willing to try some daring plays like fake punts.

Kubiak has to roll the dice. If he goes the conservative route and put all his hopes on Foster and Wade, its going to be an unhappy plane ride back to Houston.
patfanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #46
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfanken View Post
If the Texans do that they will be playing to the Pats strength which is run defense (7th). I think Houston would be better off starting the game with a lot of play action passes and trying to get something deep going. The Pats have been a lot better lately, but for the season I think they have given up more 20+ yd pass plays than anyone else in the league.

To go into Gillette and hope to beat the Pats, Kubiak can't play not to lose. There are too many advantages that favor the Pats. In that case he has play to win.

That means to be willing to be very physical with the Pats receiver, daring the officials to throw flags. Be willing to take a few early and eventually they'll stop. They won't throw a flag every play. You have to be willing to go for it on 4th down. You have to be willing to try some daring plays like fake punts.

Kubiak has to roll the dice. If he goes the conservative route and put all his hopes on Foster and Wade, its going to be an unhappy plane ride back to Houston.
I agree. Its as if Bill B makes it a point to almost "sell out" to completely take take away the opposing teams main strength on each side of the ball. Watt and Foster are the focus no doubt. Last year, no matter who we played, everyone knew the run was coming and still could not stop it. This year, that has not been the case for the most part. But we did see signs of that this weekend. Still, the Pats are better against the run. We have to throw the ball. I dont necessarily think the wrs have to go deep, because we still have to control the clock... But we need to get Foster and our TEs in open space and get them the ball and try and methodically march down the field that way.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfanken View Post
If the Texans do that they will be playing to the Pats strength which is run defense (7th).
I think the Patriots run defense is like ours. The offenses gets a big lead & the other team has to give up the run.

We can run on the Patriots. If we can run on Peko, Atkins, & Mauluga, we can run on Wilfork.
Old 01-07-2013   #48
patfanken
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 patfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respectedpatfanken is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I think the Patriots run defense is like ours. The offenses gets a big lead & the other team has to give up the run.

We can run on the Patriots. If we can run on Peko, Atkins, & Mauluga, we can run on Wilfork.
Its not just Wilfolk you have to block its a lot of other guys, you just don't know their names. Besides the Pats LB's are a lot better than what Cinci trotted out. Mayo, Hightower and Spikes are the key to the Pats run defense.

Rather than challenge what they are good at, make those LB's have to cover RB's and TE's in space in the passing game, with the exception of Mayo, its not what they do best. And do it on first down because if you wait until its a passing situation, they won't be in the game.
patfanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #49
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6350 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Defensive keys:

* Punch them in the mouth up front.
* Get pressure without blitzing. This has been covered ad nauseum.
* No missed tackles. Swarm tackling.
* Knock the crap out of their slot receivers.
* Mix up coverages.
* Brooks Reed, Cody containing their running game.
* Great safety play.
* JJ Watt doing another Forrest Whittaker from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" impersonation.

Offensive keys:

* Punch them in the mouth up front. Brandon Brooks, your time is now!
* Establish the pass to get Schaub's confidence up.
* Work over the Patriots LBs with the tight ends and James Casey.
* Spread the ball around. Don't over focus on Andre.
* Arian Foster continuing to play like he owns the playoffs. Might be nice to share some carries with Tate, though.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
Defensive keys:

* Punch them in the mouth up front.

Offensive keys:

* Punch them in the mouth up front. Brandon Brooks, your time is now!
I think I like where you're going with this. We'll start Demps & Braman on defense. At the first snap, Braman goes & gets Brady. Even if it's after the whistle, just lay Brady out. We'll throw him from the game, give up 15 yards. Then at the second snap Demps goes & get him. Another brutal hit. We'll throw him from the game give up another 15 yards.

Just to make sure they understand how determined we are to get to Brady.

Offensively, we can start Ryan Harris, just before the first snap, he should fire off the line & knock Wilfork on his butt. Second snap, we do the same thing with Andrew Gardner.
Old 01-07-2013   #51
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
You kick Tom Brady in the nuts!

And you kick him hard!
I like this plan.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I hear you, but the Patriots are a different beast. As creative as Kubiak & Shanahan were with their formations, Bellichick & McDanieals takes it to another level. A lot of their offense is about moving Woodhead & Welker around making it difficult to find them. That's why those two always seem so wide open.

I thought one of the keys to the game was identifying them & knowing where they were. I think Wade made a big deal about it & that's where they were focusing their attention. You've got to find them first, then find everyone else.

I think that's how Hernandez got lost in the mix. If Gronk was playing, that wouldn't have happened, because he would have been another one of those guys they have to locate before snap.
Just rewatch the Pats' first TD to Hernandez.
The Texans can't even find Woodhead, and it wasn't even a no huddle or anything like that. (9:30 something in the first quarter).

I used to say I want to *****-slap Frank Bush; I wanted to do the same to Wade in this game.

And this was only one of many plays in which the Texans D were simply unorganized.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #53
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if you come out slinging it and trying to establish a deep game against the Pats you are completely gambling.

If it works, you're golden. It sets up the run and you get big chunks of yardage to put up points.

The problem is, Schaub has been inconsistent deep over the past 4 weeks. You run a 3 and out and you give the Pats good field position, and they put up 7 on you. You do it again and you're down 14.

I think our best bet is to treat the Pats like the Colts with Peyton. Ball control. Keep Brady off the field. Keep our defense rested so they can pin their ears back. And keep 2 safeties deep
Old 01-07-2013   #54
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
The Pats game plan will be to neutrilize Foster. Thats their entire focus. They know we have to control the clock to have a chance. They will in essence be inviting the pass and expecting the run. And why wouldnt they? They are not scared of Schaub in the least. So becoming a passing team first is not typically on Kubiaks list of things to do. But maybe now is the right time to gamble? The good news is with Graham now back we can still go with the type of passing game we may need disguised with the same sets as our usual running game.
I agree with you about their focus. If Foster has a big game, we will win this. Honestly I feel like that may be the key to everything. All the other pieces will fall into place after that happens.
Old 01-08-2013   #55
GRONKED
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respected

I say sling it.

Sf got it right. Come out aggressive, gamble a bit, go deep..challenge the secondary. Arian in space. Ive seen your Texans win some wild shootouts...go for it imo.

Remember, pats have momentum, are at home, healthier than theyve been, had an extra week to add new wrinkles (ie we started using Hernandez out of backfield after the bye last year). Conservative wont get it done . Try to strike early.

Can things snowball if you miss or get picked off early? Sure. But id rather play like nothin to lose than try to establish the run when that exact same plan failed last time and is very predictable. Youd really need to play the perfect game to win. One holding call or mistake early w that gameplan is a recipe for disaster. Dont wait tilk you have no choice but to sling it
GRONKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #56
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRONKED View Post
I say sling it.

Sf got it right. Come out aggressive, gamble a bit, go deep..challenge the secondary. Arian in space. Ive seen your Texans win some wild shootouts...go for it imo.

Remember, pats have momentum, are at home, healthier than theyve been, had an extra week to add new wrinkles (ie we started using Hernandez out of backfield after the bye last year). Conservative wont get it done . Try to strike early.

Can things snowball if you miss or get picked off early? Sure. But id rather play like nothin to lose than try to establish the run when that exact same plan failed last time and is very predictable. Youd really need to play the perfect game to win. One holding call or mistake early w that gameplan is a recipe for disaster. Dont wait tilk you have no choice but to sling it
Probably some of the better ways I've heard someone ascribe on how to attack and beat the Patriots from the Texans perspective. I don't see the Texans winning with their dominate with the run game plan myself. I think the Texans should open up early as well attacking the Patriots secondary. Pass to set up the run. That is somewhat how it felt against the Bengals in the 1st quarter and it seemed to work really well. I've seen Kubiak do that before, and it's worked nicely. Definitely would like to try and challenge the Patriots secondary right away and be consistent with it.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #57
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Probably some of the better ways I've heard someone ascribe on how to attack and beat the Patriots from the Texans perspective. I don't see the Texans winning with their dominate with the run game plan myself. I think the Texans should open up early as well attacking the Patriots secondary. Pass to set up the run. That is somewhat how it felt against the Bengals in the 1st quarter and it seemed to work really well. I've seen Kubiak do that before, and it's worked nicely. Definitely would like to try and challenge the Patriots secondary right away and be consistent with it.
Your spot on, my thoughts exactly. I'll just add that I would like to see Kubiak make Schaub spread the ball around to get all his receivers involved.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #58
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
how about not running directly at wilfork this time.spread the ball around. secure loose balls. some cover 2 would be nice. refs swallow some whistles and then maybe we'll have a shot.
That's just what they'll expect!!

I say run it at Wilfork, because it HAS to work!! ..... :I
Old 01-08-2013   #59
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

So everyone agrees that Foster is running better than ever. That Schaub has been playing poorly. And the consensus way to beat the Patriots is to let Schaub sling it to a spread offense?

I just don't see it happening.

We're a ball control offense thats built to score early and protect a lead. When you try to play too much off your opponent, you end up with a week 14 disaster. If we're going to win the superbowl we're going to have to be able to impose our will on lesser defensive teams. I see the Pats as one of those teams.

The Pats aren't changing their ideology to play us. They are playing Patriots football and hoping their best is better than anything we can throw at them.
Old 01-08-2013   #60
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Damn, I am in agreement. I think this ground and pound game plan is recipe for disaster. Look at the Denver game for how they should attack. Foster still got his 100+. Also in the Detroit game when Schaub was carving up with TE's. Planning on building everything off of running Foster up the middle seems like a game plan for failure to me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read