Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2013   #101
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Saturday is a Referendum of Matt Schaub and Gary Kubiak's Careers Here in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Fair enough. But are we not seeing the benefits of that patience now? Or is winning the Super Bowl the only way you'll (figurative you) be able to enjoy a season?
YES, HELL THE **** YES!!! isnt that the entire point? i would rather go 9-7, back into the postseason, put up pedestrian numbers thru week1-17, and stomp on everyone's ass in the playoffs instead of going 14-2 and fizzling out in the division round.. then being happy with my qb that lead the league in passing and earned a probowl spot.. nothing matters but lombardi trophies..
Old 01-07-2013   #102
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Saturday is a Referendum of Matt Schaub and Gary Kubiak's Careers Here in Houston

Does anyone remember how Schaub came to be a hot commodity on the free agent market?

Try starting in place of Vick and putting up 298 yds and 3 TDs on New England.
Old 01-07-2013   #103
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
nothing matters but lombardi trophies
Cool. Then you're obviously prepared to live a miserable fan's life filled with heaps of disappointment. But hey, maybe one season you'll be able to look back and say, 'remember when we did it?'. Personally, the Rockets victories form 94/95 are so long ago they barely register...

Consistently good team = cake
Superbowl = icing

I'll take cake as otherwise icing has no medium.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #104
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
YES, HELL THE **** YES!!! isnt that the entire point? i would rather go 9-7, back into the postseason, put up pedestrian numbers thru week1-17, and stomp on everyone's ass in the playoffs instead of going 14-2 and fizzling out in the division round.. then being happy with my qb that lead the league in passing and earned a probowl spot.. nothing matters but lombardi trophies..
I'm with you. I'd much rather go 12-4 during the regular season.... even lose the last two games of the season, then kick ass for the next 5 weeks & bring home the Lombardi

That's so much better than griping & crying & whining about losing a game you haven't even played yet.
Old 01-07-2013   #105
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I'm with you. I'd much rather go 12-4 during the regular season.... even lose the last two games of the season, then kick ass for the next 5 weeks & bring home the Lombardi

That's so much better than griping & crying & whining about losing a game you haven't even played yet.
doing things the hard way always makes for a better story.. it would be a great story to say the Texans and matt schaub beat brady, manning, and rodgers on the way to Houstons first super bowl..
Old 01-07-2013   #106
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I know everyone is trying to be funny & everyone knows the reason why Schaub's bootleg looks like that more often than not lately, but I've just gotta say it.

Someone didn't get fooled. Either a DE, or a WR/LB on a shallow zone.
yeah... that's the part that's missing from the play diagram... where the DE is disciplined and does his job and "spies" on Schaub to take care of the cutback (should it really be a run) or the backside rollout.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #107
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 87806 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
1. Keep Kubiak

2.Fire Schaub!!! Times like now I'm reminded why he spent the first half of his career as Dog Boy's back up.

So times like now, after a Texans playoff win, is when you think "See, I just KNEW he wasn't any good, because for the first three years of his career he couldn't beat out Michael Vick in his prime!" ?
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #108
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 87806 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
nothing matters but lombardi trophies..
Houston sports fans are a weird dychotomy. They constantly lament over the historical plight of their city's sports teams, waiting for the bad karma to continue to happen, and yet have expectations from said teams that rival fan expectations of the winningest franchises in American sports history.

WNBA and MLS being the exception of course.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #109
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133036 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cool. Then you're obviously prepared to live a miserable fan's life filled with heaps of disappointment. But hey, maybe one season you'll be able to look back and say, 'remember when we did it?'. Personally, the Rockets victories form 94/95 are so long ago they barely register...

Consistently good team = cake
Superbowl = icing

I'll take cake as otherwise icing has no medium.
I'm guessing that he is really young or that he hasn't watched the NFL that long. That's not an insult or anything, but I just can't read his posts and come to any conclusion that he's been watching the NFL for that long considering how hard it is to win a SB or to get an elite QB that these guys act like are as easy to get as a player like Kevin Walter is.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #110
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Fair enough. But are we not seeing the benefits of that patience now? Or is winning the Super Bowl the only way you'll (figurative you) be able to enjoy a season?
Nah. I'm happy with progress. At some point, progress stops. It either stops with a Super Bowl win or it doesn't. For most teams, it doesn't. As a team, they have to identify when progress has stopped and regression has begun. I think it's fair to say that Kubiak has stopped progressing in certain aspects of his coaching. I think it's fair to say that Schaub has stopped progressing in his quarterbacking, at least for the last half of the season. Whether or not you think that's a longer term problem than just half a season probably dictates what you believe in terms of action moving forward. Regardless what you personally think, you need to recognize that you can be wrong ("you" being any of us).

If progress has stopped and this is the best we got, are you happy to stagnate here?
Old 01-08-2013   #111
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
...Okay, time for a reality check: Kubiak will be our head coach in 2013 and Schaub will be our starting QB in 2013...
Ugh.

That sounded like when I was a kid and my parents told me "Look, buster, you're going to give Samantha Davis a valentine's card and that's THAT. I know you don't like her, but nobody else is going to give her a valentine's card. So buck up and do it!"

I no like your place called "reality."
Old 01-08-2013   #112
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Do you think that Gary and Schaub can bring a Lombardi to Houston?

If the answer is no then it's time to move on.

I think prior to Schaubs lisfranc injury the answer was almost definately yes. Now post injury , Im not so sure and would have to lean twards a no.

But I dont think you can evaluate them as a pair - you can replace one or the other and if you recall McNair's statements of what team he would most like to emulate , that being the Steelers because of the stability of the franchise from the top down (They have had four coaches in my lifetime , three retired).

I think its highly likely that McNair would evalute the coach and QB seperately - especially when injury is part of the equasion.
Gary got the Texans a bargin deal on Schaub who has sense become a multi-pro bowl QB , passed for 4500 yards in back to back seasons and was on pace to do it a 3rd prior to injury and guided the team to back to back division championships.

Do you not think that Bob would give Gary the opportunity to duplicate that success in finding a replacement should Schaub falter ? I believe he most definately would.

Schaubs contract is also pretty damn team friendly , Smith did a real good job in that negotiation - They could actually cut him after any of the next three seasons and not significantly hurt their cap situation.

I dont think its plausible that Schaub is cut after this season (barring injury) but I could easily see him getting cut going forward should he not perform up to expectations.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read