Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2013   #21
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: ProFootballFocus, ReFocused -- Cinncinnati@Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Doc... you know this is not a problem Schaub has had throughout his career. Some are making it sound like he is David Carr or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He is NOT David Carr. It is a problem that he's had this year.
I think where people are coming from on this is based on the fact that Carr did some good things his first 2.5 years. He showed potential and he had a helluva lot more raw skill than Schaub possesses. But somewhere in the middle of the '04 season, it was like going over the top of a roller coaster. The bottom just dropped out on him. He stopped showing any improvement and played like crap. A lot of people spent a lot of time trying to figure out why and a lot of people spent a lot of time and energy defending him. In retrospect, the tipping point is pretty clear. So some people are questioning now, "Have we experienced the tipping point on Schaub?"

*shrug*

I know that Schaub was kept really clean this week and didn't do anything to make me think he's a good QB right now. He's been better in the past. We don't have that guy anymore. Some of y'all seem to think the Schaub of old is going to magically resurface ... well, I hope so, because the playoffs are on the line. But recent trends suggest otherwise.
Old 01-07-2013   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think where people are coming from on this is based on the fact that Carr did some good things his first 2.5 years. He showed potential and he had a helluva lot more raw skill than Schaub possesses. But somewhere in the middle of the '04 season, it was like going over the top of a roller coaster. The bottom just dropped out on him. He stopped showing any improvement and played like crap. A lot of people spent a lot of time trying to figure out why and a lot of people spent a lot of time and energy defending him. In retrospect, the tipping point is pretty clear. So some people are questioning now, "Have we experienced the tipping point on Schaub?"

*shrug*

I know that Schaub was kept really clean this week and didn't do anything to make me think he's a good QB right now. He's been better in the past. We don't have that guy anymore. Some of y'all seem to think the Schaub of old is going to magically resurface ... well, I hope so, because the playoffs are on the line. But recent trends suggest otherwise.
Schaub got the ball out quickly when he was under pressure. I think he deserves some credit there.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Schaub got the ball out quickly when he was under pressure. I think he deserves some credit there.
So did Carr in the 2005 season. In fact, he set the record for completions in a row that year. From the PFF piece:

Quote:
The Texans’ quarterback looked tentative at best and was rarely prepared to challenge the Bengals’ secondary with anything meaningful. Only three times did he throw the ball over 10 yards in the air, and never did he go deep (over 20 yards). Instead, he largely relied on his receivers, backs and tight ends to do most of the work, with 49.6% of his yards coming after the catch.
Now, to be clear, I am not comparing Schaub to Carr at all. But let's not start bending over backwards to try and make the guy look better than he really is. Right NOW, the guy is just not a good QB. He may not be awful, but he was kept a helluva lot cleaner than most games and he just checked down all day.

Stop entrenching yourself in defending Schaub and just recognize the reality of it.
Old 01-07-2013   #24
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So did Carr in the 2005 season. In fact, he set the record for completions in a row that year. From the PFF piece:

Stop entrenching yourself in defending Schaub and just recognize the reality of it.
The PFF article (and they are not remotely scientific in their ratings) doesn't take into account the defenses being played. If it's cover 2, or some variant thereof, then dinking and dunking is the right way to attack it given our personnel.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Now, to be clear, I am not comparing Schaub to Carr at all. But let's not start bending over backwards to try and make the guy look better than he really is. Right NOW, the guy is just not a good QB. He may not be awful, but he was kept a helluva lot cleaner than most games and he just checked down all day.

I am not defending Schaub, nor do I attack him.
I simply call things as I saw it.

You have to remember that some 3 years ago, when some folks suggested that Schaub was clearly in the top ten, I disagreed.
I said he was borderline.

Nothing has changed for me, except we have to take into account the young talents that have been growing or are in the growing process.

To me, Schaub peaked last year, and seems to be in "plateau out" mode.

Now, Jaworski rated Schaub at number 9 in his final ranking for this year.
It was just one man'a opinion, but it does carry some weight, because obviously Jaws know QBs better than most if not all of us on this MB.

For me to put him somewhere between 11-15 is not as far-fetched as those who put him below average or worse.

But of course, you can have your opinion just like anybody else.
Old 01-07-2013   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
For me to put him somewhere between 11-15 is not as far-fetched as those who put him below average or worse.

But of course, you can have your opinion just like anybody else.
For me to say that he's not 11-15 over the past six games is not far fetched at all. See, that's the thing about rankings. There are long term rankings and there are in the moment rankings. Schaub is not playing as well as he did earlier this season. Schaub is not playing as well as he did last season. Schaub not playing as well as he did earlier this season is a BIG part of why the Texans have struggled the last six weeks or so. They're not converting in the red zone, they're not attacking down the field (at least accurately), and when he is under pressure, the play is over 90% of the time. It's a team game, and of course there are factors that go into this, but Schaub is one of the biggest factors.
Old 01-07-2013   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Guilty......

& I don't think I've been shy about it. I want that guy from 2009. But some of these comments are making it sound like this 6 game streak he is on has been the norm for the last three years (2010, 2011, 2012) & it hasn't. He's never been Brady/Rogers.... most likely never will be. But the guy who started 2012 was good enough to get to & possibly win a Super Bowl. Don't think he would have been MVP, we'd need that 2009 guy for that.

But this guy has some pretty good talent around him. Andre, Arian, Duane, Watt, not to mention the second tier guys; Jjo, KJax, Antonio, OD, Myers...... we don't have probowlers at every corner, but damn near.

If there's some way for us to get a franchise QB next season, I'm all for it. I don't care about hurting Schaub's feelings. But he's played well enough this year to get us there at some point this year..... not lately.
Old 01-07-2013   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For me to say that he's not 11-15 over the past six games is not far fetched at all. See, that's the thing about rankings. There are long term rankings and there are in the moment rankings. Schaub is not playing as well as he did earlier this season. Schaub is not playing as well as he did last season. Schaub not playing as well as he did earlier this season is a BIG part of why the Texans have struggled the last six weeks or so. They're not converting in the red zone, they're not attacking down the field (at least accurately), and when he is under pressure, the play is over 90% of the time. It's a team game, and of course there are factors that go into this, but Schaub is one of the biggest factors.
This is all true, 100%

Really can't argue
Old 01-07-2013   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. He's somewhere better than ~⅔ of league QBs and worse than ~⅓ of them. I do think the foot is an issue and he's sliding. I don't think we have a long term solution to replacing Schaub.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
For the whole season, I'm more inclined toward the number 11 for Schaub.
For the last few games, it was toward the number 15 spot.

Now if you tell me that you had watched all the QBs plays in the last 5-6 games, whatever, than it would make more sense, but I'm sure you didn't.
And neither did I.

However, with the state of the many non-playoff teams, it is easier to find poor or subpar QB play.

You can try to put a ranking on Schaub, let's say #24 in the last 5 games (or whatever number you choose) . It will be much easier for me to find more than 8 QBs that played poorer than Schaub than you can find 23 QBs that played better.
Old 01-07-2013   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't the line at the end about Brown not being the only lineman not to give up a sack, hit or hurry a bit misleading? IIRC there were no sacks. It makes Brown look good (which he was) but sort of implies the other guys did not do so well. Factual but misleading.
Old 01-07-2013   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Isn't the line at the end about Brown not being the only lineman not to give up a sack, hit or hurry a bit misleading? IIRC there were no sacks...
Each is a black mark. No O-lineman on either side was "clean" other than Brown.

For all WC games, Brown graded higher than any other lineman.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Our pass/run ratio on first down this year in the first half is 138/113

The Pats is at 146/110

The Broncos is at 124/130

So basically, the Broncos are in deep shzzz.
And on second down in the first half, we actually passed the ball more than the Patriots (as a percentage).

Both teams attempted the same number of passes, but the Pats ran 7 more times than us.
Old 01-07-2013   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This is a mid October 2012 piece from ADVANCEDNFLSTATS.COM that could explain why we can have a great RB, but still struggle to look like a winning team......or, for that matter, consistently win against higher competition, without having a passing game that is not reliable beyond 10 yards.
Quote:
Our pass/run ratio on first down this year in the first half is 138/113

The Pats is at 146/110

The Broncos is at 124/130

So basically, the Broncos are in deep shzzz.
Quote:
And on second down in the first half, we actually passed the ball more than the Patriots (as a percentage).

Both teams attempted the same number of passes, but the Pats ran 7 more times than us.
In conclusion, the "wisdom thinking" that Gary Kubiak is too conservative in his play-calling is not supported by what actually happened on the field.

Or you can say that the Bill Belichick is just as conservative as Kubiak.
Old 01-07-2013   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

More incredibly is the fact that the Texans also had 8 more pass attempts than the Pats on third down in the first half.

All and all, the Texans went with the pass a few more than the Pats in the first half.
Old 01-07-2013   #36
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree we need to look at now not years ago. I have said this before and I still believe it ," he is hurt". Either arm/shoulder injury or he can't put his weight where it needs to be because of his foot.

Something has changed recently. He never has had a great arm but now his whole motion seems to be different.

I hope it is an injury issue because at least there is hope for next year when he is healthy again.

I think the brain trust made a huge mistake in extending him before seeing how he held up throughout the season.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #37
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In conclusion, the "wisdom thinking" that Gary Kubiak is too conservative in his play-calling is not supported by what actually happened on the field.

Or you can say that the Bill Belichick is just as conservative as Kubiak.
You may also add that Brady audibles to the run when he sees the defense.

It is much easier to pass when the d is set up for the run or vice versa.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Something has changed recently. He never has had a great arm but now his whole motion seems to be different.

I hope it is an injury issue because at least there is hope for next year when he is healthy again.
Couldn't help but thinking:
Quote:

Quote:
Because, I know something that you do not know. I am not left handed..
Old 01-07-2013   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
You may also add that Brady audibles to the run when he sees the defense.

It is much easier to pass when the d is set up for the run or vice versa.
You may also add that Schaub audibles to the run as well.
Old 01-07-2013   #40
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You have to go deeper into the numbers to explain why the patterns may not follow success.......like the efficiency of the QB. Like a QB that has a problem in general throwing completed passes past the 10 yd mark.

Brady 34 TDs 8 INTs
Peyton 37 TDs 11 INTs

Schaub 22 TDs 12 INTs
The Texans have inexperienced players at two offensive line positions. His WR 3-5 have catch rates less than 55%. Strategically, do you really want him to throw down field a lot? Especially when your defense is playing well, and the opponent probably needs you to make offensive mistakes to win?

The Texans pay a lot of attention to down and distance because that's the key to what makes their offense go. They take shots downfield selectively based on what the defense is doing, and how much risk they feel they need to take against opposing offenses. They get defenses cheating certain ways, and then try to exploit for the big play.

Typically, the Schaub is pretty good at YPC, and Andre Johnson has huge YPC for someone who has as many receptions as he has had this year.

Typically, deep in redzone, they prefer to run the ball because they can. See e.g. Arian Foster. So this tends to decrease opportunities for QB TDs.

Looking at general NFL statistics to make conclusions about the Texans offense isn't helpful. It is also not helpful to compare Matt Schaub to future Hall of Famers Brady and Manning. He doesn't need to be that because he is not that--he needs to be efficient Matt that distributes the ball to open guy and doesn't make too many mistakes. Pressing doesn't help, but infallibility is a lot to expect because everyone makes mistakes, you just have to try to not make them bigger.

OTOH, the Texans have a number of players on their team that if they keep playing the way they are, may some day be the foundation of the Texans section of the HoF. So you play to your strengths.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read