Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2013   #21
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What has happened with Tate?

Remember Eddie George?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa465 View Post
Some RBs need more than a carry to get going. If he gets 2yds on his first carry doesn't mean he wouldn't be effective over a series.
That wasn't the case last year. You put him on the field, cold, he'd break a 30 yard run for a TD.

Besides, I think he's still not 100%.
Old 01-07-2013   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why this team isn't running more 2 RB sets, honestly.

You could still have 3 receivers out there...take your pick: AJ, OD, Graham or Walter or Posey or Casey.

With a 2 RB set, you could do sooooo many things to confuse defenses:

(A) You could run Tate

(B) You could run Foster

(C) You could fake to either of those guys and run a playaction off of it.

(D) Both guys could be a receiver out of the backfield

Etc.

But hey, that'd be too difficult. Not enough time for the genius Gary Kubiak to install that sort of high-level "trickery" and make sure his Pro Bowl caliber QB, RBs, and OL could handle the duties.

No, what REALLY has been selling like hotcakes is to have only 1 RB, and then (hee hee hee!) motion that 1 RB out into a WR spot prior to the snap! OMG! The defense won't know what to do!
Old 01-07-2013   #24
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 246968 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
No he's missing lanes...his vision is just terrible...

It's been better but then last year the blocking was better too. The lanes were bigger and maybe a few times he "guessed right". Tate is I think a pretty good back but he's not at his best here. Behind big hogs just straight up powering their way down the field he'd be a money in the bank. One of those guys who consistently pounds the rock for 4+ yards a tote all the way down the field.

Until he got hurt. Again. He runs like a monster but you're right, he doesn't have the vision to really create much and on top of that he doesn't look to have a durability that a true "thumper" really needs.
Old 01-07-2013   #25
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Just pure speculation on my part, but I don't think he wants to be here as a back up RB. He was drafted to be the starter and tore his ankle up in pre-season. Hopefully he doesn't blame the Texans for not waiting on him.
Old 01-07-2013   #26
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It's been better but then last year the blocking was better too. The lanes were bigger and maybe a few times he "guessed right". Tate is I think a pretty good back but he's not at his best here. Behind big hogs just straight up powering their way down the field he'd be a money in the bank. One of those guys who consistently pounds the rock for 4+ yards a tote all the way down the field.

Until he got hurt. Again. He runs like a monster but you're right, he doesn't have the vision to really create much and on top of that he doesn't look to have a durability that a true "thumper" really needs.
Yeah, i think on some level too his problem is that he hasn't figured out that he is that "thumper" back for us. Too many times i've seen him try to make and arian-esque cut & he doesn't come close & gets tackled for a 3 yd. gain when he should've just lowered his head and pushed the pile for another 1 yd or so.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #27
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Just pure speculation on my part, but I don't think he wants to be here as a back up RB. He was drafted to be the starter and tore his ankle up in pre-season. Hopefully he doesn't blame the Texans for not waiting on him.
well if that's his problem he's dumb...he's been injured 2 out of his 3 years in the league & hasn't shown any kind of durability to warrant being a feature guy anywhere.

The only guy in the league who has that kind of clout despite being injured all the time & teams not laugh at him is Mcfadden...and his act is wearing thin in Oak. No matter where he goes, he'll be a guy that's going to share carries..at least initially; so he may as well just stay here if the texans offer him something reasonable to come back.
Old 01-07-2013   #28
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh he will. All these athletes do when they leave their original team.

He'll be tweeting his life away the day he gets another contract and leaves Houston.

I imagine it will first go like this:

"To all my fans out there, thank you for your support."

then

"Don't know why the Texans didn't want me back."

Then who knows what comes next. Something probably more caustic toward the Texans.

It's the standard these days.
Old 01-07-2013   #29
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

This vision crap is ridiculous, he didnt get 1000 yards last season with lack of vision and he didnt suddenly lose his vision....He isn't getting into a rhythm and he could still be hurting...who knows, but his vision isn't the problem
Old 01-07-2013   #30
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
This vision crap is ridiculous, he didnt get 1000 yards last season with lack of vision and he didnt suddenly lose his vision....He isn't getting into a rhythm and he could still be hurting...who knows, but his vision isn't the problem
1000 yds over 16 games is only 63 ypg, hardly earth-shattering. Just for comparison RG3 damn near had that in rushing this year.......as a rookie. The only reason he got 1000 in the 1st place last year was b/c Arian missed 2 games last year & sat out the last game against Tenn...
Old 01-07-2013   #31
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
1000 yds over 16 games is only 63 ypg, hardly earth-shattering. Just for comparison RG3 damn near had that in rushing this year.......as a rookie. The only reason he got 1000 in the 1st place last year was b/c Arian missed 2 games last year & sat out the last game against Tenn...
he started 2 games and came off the bench in the rest, if 2 1000 yard backs is "easy" then why dont more teams have that? because its incredible.....thats why...his vision is fine, but something is wrong....
Old 01-07-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Just pure speculation on my part, but I don't think he wants to be here as a back up RB.
I don't think he doesn't want to be here.

I'm sure he wants to be a starter & would like to be a starter here just as soon as anywhere else. I'm sure he knows that he'd have weaker competition elsewhere & would like to be on one of those teams.

But he also knows that he hasn't been healthy enough to be a starter anywhere else.

When he is healthy, he gets plenty enough carries. He was 1b here last year, not 2nd string. If I were Ben Tate I'd be trying to find a way to stay healthy. We probably won't be able to re-sign him, unless something happens to Foster for any amount of money.

But we want a guy like Ben Tate, a guy that wants to be a starter, a guy who thinks he is a starter. I like Forsett, but he knows he isn't a starter in this league.

I also think Arian liked a healthy Tate. I think it made him play better having that competition.
Old 01-07-2013   #33
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
he started 2 games and came off the bench in the rest, if 2 1000 yard backs is "easy" then why dont more teams have that? because its incredible.....thats why...his vision is fine, but something is wrong....
\

Ok, so technically he didn't start 3 games...but we're gonna act like Tate didn't get the lions share of the carries in the dolphins game? Arian went out in the 1st quarter dude.

Still, It's hardly incredible dude.

remember DVD (duckett, vick & dunn) a few years back? Gotta figure that if it were only 2 of those guys instead of 3, they easily get 1000 each. as it is they still damn near all had 1000 yds rushing each.

panthers 2008 - 2009

i'm sure there were others like the wildcat dolphins with ricky and ronnie brown.

In any event that's 3 teams that have done it in the last 1/2 decade. It's a matter of offensive style. All those teams were committed, damn near locked in to running the ball the majority of the time. If you're committed to the run like we are, it is easy. Most teams this day aren't.
Old 01-07-2013   #34
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Remember Eddie George?
Quote:
Another hint Javid Best.

Turf toe has taken down many a RB. Both Best and George, as has been a common theme of such injuries, suffered multiple recurrent setbacks. It's a very difficult injury to shake, especially within the same season in which it occurs. And, if the RB is even able to return to full form, it requires a very long rest to come back from, i.e., usually a full off season. Even so, an RB is usually going to experience some lingering chronic negative effects on his performance.
Old 01-07-2013   #35
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Turf toe has taken down many a RB...
Oh, shyte, I don't know where my brain has been. I didn't snap to Tate having turf toe. That's a horrible injury.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #36
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 25265 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing wrong with Tate. Considering he's coming in cold and having to adjust to on field game speed he still avg the same yards per carry as Foster.

There is a thread here entitled "What WTF happen to Foster?" Has anybody forgotten that? That's how inconsistent our run blocking has been. A good game against Cinci and another against the1st Colts game has made that thread go into hibernation. It'll only take one bad game from Foster to awaken that thread back to life.

You folks are unbelievable in your assessment of a players abilities. There are 2 thing Tate can do better than Foster ;exploding through arm tackle and not slipping on cuts. That's a great attributes to have and should not be ignored. Give this man 10 carries in a game and we'll truly see how much substance this thread has. But to judge a player when he's getting 2 attempt per game is grossly unfair.

If Foster gets injured in the week and Tate gets the start I would not lose sleep over that fact.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Nothing wrong with Tate. Considering he's coming in cold and having to adjust to on field game speed he still avg the same yards per carry as Foster.

There is a thread here entitled "What WTF happen to Foster?" Has anybody forgotten that? That's how inconsistent our run blocking has been. A good game against Cinci and another against the1st Colts game has made that thread go into hibernation. It'll only take one bad game from Foster to awaken that thread back to life.

You folks are unbelievable in your assessment of a players abilities. There are 2 thing Tate can do better than Foster ;exploding through arm tackle and not slipping on cuts. That's a great attributes to have and should not be ignored. Give this man 10 carries in a game and we'll truly see how much substance this thread has. But to judge a player when he's getting 2 attempt per game is grossly unfair.

If Foster gets injured in the week and Tate gets the start I would not lose sleep over that fact.
Of course, there's nothing wrong with Tate.

He's only been on the Injury Report with "toe (initial)," "toe," "foot," "hamstring (most common compensatory injury to a turf toe)," "hamstring," "hamstring," "hamstring," "hamstring," "hamstring," "foot/hamstring," "foot/hamstring," "hamstring," .......now back to "foot" all season long since the 5th game.

Just like George and Best, exemplary RBs, ever since their initial turf toe, they were continuously dealing with toe, foot and hamstring problems until they retired. I hope that is not the case with Tate. But this year his toe underlies his lack of performance and has affected his ability to remain on the field.
Old 01-07-2013   #38
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Of course, there's nothing wrong with Tate.

He's only been on the Injury Report with "toe (initial)," "toe," "foot," "hamstring (most common compensatory injury to a turf toe)," "hamstring," "hamstring," "hamstring," "hamstring," "hamstring," "foot/hamstring," "foot/hamstring," "hamstring," .......now back to "foot" all season long since the 5th game.

Just like George and Best, exemplary RBs, ever since their initial turf toe, they were continuously dealing with toe, foot and hamstring problems until they retired. I hope that is not the case with Tate. But this year his toe underlies his lack of performance and has affected his ability to remain on the field.

Please do not use logic on this forum, it MUST be his vision and nothing you say will change my mind
Old 01-07-2013   #39
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 25265 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster said it himself, "I feel better and stronger as a runner the more carries into a game." How do you think effective Foster or any RB would be with just 2 or 3 carries per game?

No one knew how good Foster would be until Kubiak name him starter late in the '09 season when our playoffs hope was gone and Slaton became garbage. It's almost blind luck that Foster became who he is now.
Old 01-07-2013   #40
klockWork
Veteran

Foster stats before his promising first two start in '09 was a meager 15 carries for 51 yards in limited duty. Foster first two starts compare to Tate are nearly identical. And when you look at last year stats when he is getting at least 8 or more carries after Foster came back from injuries is when this team is the most dangerous.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read