Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2013   #81
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I say its all on Schaub's Play and Kubiak's Playcalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Did you read the discussion? The premise was "What if the Texans had the cap room? ".
You agreed that the Texans didn't have the cap room, correct?

Now, let's assume that the Texans had the cap room? How?
I ask the question because in the day and age of cap space, you only have so much to build a roster.

You can play like schizz for a year or two by cutting a bunch of high price guys to roll over some cap space, but then you still have to put the money back to buy enough talent overall to go for the big prize.

The Broncoas had it all.
Like I said, they finally benefited from the Cutler's trade that gave them additional high picks; ie. they've been able to play with lower paid young talents now (but in the future, by their next contract, they will have problems.)
So they were able to roll over some cap space to sign Manning.
Now they are right up there.

And they will have to resign Clady next year.
They should be able to manage that; however, it will get really dicey from there on out.

Having the cap space for the short term is one thing; how to handle the long term is another thing.

And then, there's risk.
What if Manning goes down, especially early in the year?
Whoever they are able to put it there wouldn't be able to make that offense go.
Their season would be in the toilet, yet again.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
So much for Andrew Luck being better than Schaub. Just threw a pick that sealed the win for BAL.

Gawd this is easy using soaper logic
Luck as a rookie led his team to the playoffs after inheriting the worst team in the league. The Texans have way more talent than the Colts but Luck led many 4th qtr comebacks.

How many 4th qtr comebacks has Schaub led his team to victory in the 5 yrs he's been here? I bet you that Luck has as many this season(his rookie yr) as Schaub has had in his 5 yrs in Houston.

BTW, Schaub has led the team to the playoffs as many times in five yrs, (1) as Luck has in his rookie yr. (1) But carry on with your Schab love fest. I used to be a Schaub guy, but because of the foot injury he's no longer capable of winning a SB, IMHO and every yr Schaub is the starting QB from this point forward is a yr that Luck and the Colts will have to catch up to the Texans talent wise. TBH, they really aren't that far away from being equal to the Texans talent wise as things stand now.

Each yr Schaub is the starting QB is another yr AJ/Brown/Cushing/Watt/AF etc.... get a yr older without having the chance to win a SB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #83
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13099 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Luck as a rookie led his team to the playoffs after inheriting the worst team in the league. The Texans have way more talent than the Colts but Luck led many 4th qtr comebacks.

How many 4th qtr comebacks has Schaub led his team to victory in the 5 yrs he's been here? I bet you that Luck has as many this season(his rookie yr) as Schaub has had in his 5 yrs in Houston.

BTW, Schaub has led the team to the playoffs as many times in five yrs, (1) as Luck has in his rookie yr. (1) But carry on with your Schab love fest. I used to be a Schaub guy, but because of the foot injury he's no longer capable of winning a SB, IMHO and every yr Schaub is the starting QB from this point forward is a yr that Luck and the Colts will have to catch up to the Texans talent wise. TBH, they really aren't that far away from being equal to the Texans talent wise as things stand now.

Each yr Schaub is the starting QB is another yr AJ/Brown/Cushing/Watt/AF etc.... get a yr older without having the chance to win a SB.
Schaub - Undefeated in playoff games
Luck - Not so much

Gawd this is easy using soaper logic
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #84
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Schaub has 9 4th quarter comebacks in his 6 years in Houston. Luck had 4 during his rookie year in Indy.
Old 01-07-2013   #85
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Schaub has 9 4th quarter comebacks in his 6 years in Houston. Luck had 4 during his rookie year in Indy.
I can think of a few the defense let slip away .... not that it really matters.

I'd like to upgrade the position , just dont see any viable way to do so in the near future.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #86
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Luck's generated offense scored fewer points than the Texans did on a yearly basis since 2007.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #87
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I ask the question because in the day and age of cap space, you only have so much to build a roster.

You can play like schizz for a year or two by cutting a bunch of high price guys to roll over some cap space, but then you still have to put the money back to buy enough talent overall to go for the big prize.

The Broncoas had it all.
Like I said, they finally benefited from the Cutler's trade that gave them additional high picks; ie. they've been able to play with lower paid young talents now (but in the future, by their next contract, they will have problems.)

They should be able to manage that; however, it will get really dicey from there on out.

Having the cap space for the short term is one thing; how to handle the long term is another thing.

And then, there's risk.
That was the overarching reason why, back in camp, I finally settled in on the position that even IF we wanted Manning, he wanted us, etc....it was a risky move.

Doesn't mean Schaub should be "the guy" by default, but it does mean that Peyton Manning is, for the moment, a better choice and the Broncos did right. However, that little issue of "for the moment" is what counts most. What happens when other players' contracts come due? What if Peyton gets massively drilled into the turf and he's carted off the field? How much longer will his body hold up?

The thing that stings is that we played against the guy for almost 9 years...never really got to the guy except that one game at Reliant. Now he's free to go to any team, and he stays in the AFC and is right up there in Colorado , the BRONCOS of all teams. Ugh.
Old 01-07-2013   #88
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 15120 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench3 View Post
"I mean, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'm top five, I think I'm the best."
FLACCO,Joe.
Name the only QB to win a Playoff game in his first 5 years in the NFL?
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #89
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 15120 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Yeah, Matt has never threw a pick to lose a game ...
THrew a Pick6 right to Josh Wilson of the ravens in OT 2 years ago
Old 01-07-2013   #90
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

The Broncoas had it all.

And then, there's risk.
And to add to the "risk" column, noone really knew how he was going to come back.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #91
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I was utilizing
Um i know
Old 01-07-2013   #92
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Gary would have been doing cartwheels thinking about the prospects of coaching a QB as talented as Manning.
Don't you mean that Kubiak would have loved to have had the chance to be coached by Manning?

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #93
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Don't you mean that Kubiak would have loved to have had the chance to be coached by Manning?
Tony Dungy said Manning would be bad in coaching. Just an FYI. Wasn't a comment on his football smarts but said his personality wasn't suitable - would drive both himself and the players insane. Said one of the big challenges of coaching Manning is trying to keep him reined in.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read