Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2013   #141
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
oh it doesnt?? because before you said that i thought thats how it worked. i thought the rest of the nfl was at the Texans disposal... dude stfu, i dont live in a fantasy land so foh with your condescending remarks. i know an elite qb was available last off-season and the texans dismissed the idea of kicking the tires.. theyre content with this loser..
Unless Peyton Manning was willing to sign for the league minimum then there wasn't a chance in hell of him coming to Houston. We didn't even have the cap room to resign Winston, Briesel, and DeMeco Ryans. Did you want the Texans to cut even more quality players to go after Manning? Get rid of Foster, Brown, and probably a few other guys just to go after him? There was no realistic possibility of Manning come to Houston.

And can you come up with any realistic solution besides Matt Schuab? TJ Yates isn't the answer. He was an average college QB and hasn't shown that he'd be anything better as a pro. What players are out there that would be an upgrade over Schaub?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #142
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 31864 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
that may be the case.

but i'd rather build the team to get better with what we have now than to go back to the 2-14 dark ages off a prayer.

that's for desperate teams with nothing to lose. i just don't feel the texans are there just yet, even if we lose to the patriots.
Wait. What? You think w/o Schaub you think we won't win more than two games? Even if Yates starts all our game next year I think we can at least manage a 9 win season.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #143
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
actually you do because you're calling to replace schaub with no plan.

just, REPLACE SCHAUB!!!!!!!!!!

you haven't even named a qb you want to draft or a free agent qb available coming up that we should go after.

just hypotheticals.
right because this off-season there wasnt a 50 page thread saying to go get peyton manning... philip rivers might become available next offseason. weve even said lets drfaft a qb in the next 2 years with an early pick and let him sit behind schaub. but all you guys do is dismiss every suggestion and claim we dotn provide any solutions

Quote:
Am I the only one who sees the irony here?
no irony, ive been wanting to get rid of schaub since the best he could do was go 8-8.. he lost my faith around 08 when he tossed a pick to lose the arizona game, it just got progressively worse. i mean he racked up a bunch of yards and you guys beat your chests over it. i saw a weak, mental midget who couldnt over come his teams mistakes and is afraid of the spot light..
Old 01-06-2013   #144
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 15724 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Wait. What? You think w/o Schaub you think we won't win more than two games? Even if Yates starts all our game next year I think we can at least manage a 9 win season.
9 wins?

i say 6 at best.

he couldn't even beat a garbage 2-14 colts team without manning or luck.

he's not the answer. im sorry i don't see it. i'd say he looked worse than the rookies in this current draft class.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #145
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Hey Matt Schaub Remember when you said

Quote:
yea and i bet their TEs will be heavily blanketed when they make those amazing catches and when our TEs make incredible catches they will be wide open.. thats the difference..
Well, according to someone in this thread, the guy we're talking about, the catch that I was responding to, our guy was "hung out to dry"

I mean... like... he wasn't wide open.
Old 01-06-2013   #146
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127995 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Unless Peyton Manning was willing to sign for the league minimum then there wasn't a chance in hell of him coming to Houston.
/END Argument....... Good Job Sam and spot on!!!!

Anything else is tomfoolery!
Old 01-06-2013   #147
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Madd View Post
I guess I am just confused as to what the Schaub haters want. Is Houston supposed to run out and draft a rookie because there were 3 rookies that did well this year? What about all the other years where rookies didn't pan out? Serious questions here.
Maybe we could, uh, like spend a higher draft pick on one? Rather than waiting until round 6 or 7 or grabbing a UDFA.

That wouldn't happen, though, because THAT would be sending a message to Matt Schaub that Matt Schaub's job just might be endangered. It's convenient for Gary to draft a clipboard QB so that it doesn't threaten his defacto starter.

And it also wouldn't work because drafting a Qb at ANY round is a crapshoot, so therefore that's another layer of protection for Matt Schaub and his fan club.

Really what it boils down to, IMO, is people are as conservative as Gary Kubiak is. They're afraid that any change would be a huge step backward and we'd regret it. When what's funny is we spent roughly 4 or 5 years with David Carr and were sunk every season that that jabroni was here being protected under similar circumstances, i.e. "Well, he's THE STARTER!" and "Where else are we going to find an upgrade?!?!" and "He just needs a better OL."

The problem with Matt is that he's juuuust good enough. Nobody wants to risk going backward. But that also means we aren't moving FORWARD, either.
Old 01-06-2013   #148
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
right because this off-season there wasnt a 50 page thread saying to go get peyton manning... philip rivers might become available next offseason. weve even said lets drfaft a qb in the next 2 years with an early pick and let him sit behind schaub. but all you guys do is dismiss every suggestion and claim we dotn provide any solutions

no irony, ive been wanting to get rid of schaub since the best he could do was go 8-8.. he lost my faith around 08 when he tossed a pick to lose the arizona game, it just got progressively worse. i mean he racked up a bunch of yards and you guys beat your chests over it. i saw a weak, mental midget who couldnt over come his teams mistakes and is afraid of the spot light..
You realize that you are speaking about a QB with a 20-7 record the past two years, and a QB that won his only start in the playoffs... I'm concerned about Schaub's performance as well, but you are off the reservation with your criticisms.
Old 01-06-2013   #149
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105274 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The problem is, u guys see what you want to see, and not what's actually
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #150
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

weve seen teams up against the cap every year manage to sign free agents. peyton got a deal that is essentially a one year deal, with guaranteed money up front.. and none of the money after year 1 being guaranteed... acrafty gm could hhave distributed the money differently and taken more of a risk. its clear manning neck/arm isnt an issue..
Old 01-06-2013   #151
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unless Peyton Manning was willing to sign for the league minimum then there wasn't a chance in hell of him coming to Houston.
Just out of curiosity, if that wasn't the case, if Rick Smith & Olsen were able to work their magic & sign Peyton, would you do it?
Old 01-06-2013   #152
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

The OL went 11-1, but the best Schaub was able to do was 8-8.....

Break that one down for me. I mean small words, because this one is over my head.
Old 01-06-2013   #153
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unless Peyton Manning was willing to sign for the league minimum then there wasn't a chance in hell of him coming to Houston. We didn't even have the cap room to resign Winston, Briesel, and DeMeco Ryans. Did you want the Texans to cut even more quality players to go after Manning? Get rid of Foster, Brown, and probably a few other guys just to go after him? There was no realistic possibility of Manning come to Houston.

And can you come up with any realistic solution besides Matt Schuab? TJ Yates isn't the answer. He was an average college QB and hasn't shown that he'd be anything better as a pro. What players are out there that would be an upgrade over Schaub?
I don't think Manning could work for this franchise and have it end up being what he's made it into at Denver with those guys. And I'm not kidding.

There's a culture here that's not exactly conducive to the way Peyton Manning operates. He's the type of guy who pushes all his chips into the center of the table, and he wants everyone else at the table to do the same thing.

He would have been utterly incompatible with Gary Kubiak. Gary would have had to go to counseling sessions because of Peyton. There would have been massive rioting in the locker room...I mean, there would be no lettermen jackets. No segways. No hipster Barwin peddling three-seaters through Houston's coffee shop district with his gang of fellow nerds. It would have been the most demanding environment they've ever seen. That would have been some damaging "energy" according to our team's resident Zen teacher.

Beyond the money issue, the guy was not a fit here. John Fox was like "Cool. Let's do this." LOL. John Fox don't care. He knows if a guy like Manning can butter his bread, then more power to the guy. He let Tebow do what Tebow does, and it got them into the second round of the playoffs last year.

If it makes anybody sleep better at night, though, I think Manning is a season or two away from being done. And the things we would have had to do to get him here, we'd be feeling the ramifications of that in 2013 and 2014, etc. So we might be seeing his final "good" year. Or not. Who knows.
Old 01-06-2013   #154
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Just out of curiosity, if that wasn't the case, if Rick Smith & Olsen were able to work their magic & sign Peyton, would you do it?
If the Texans had room under the cap to sign Manning and not gut the team at the same time, then absolutely they should have gone after him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I don't think Manning could work for this franchise and have it end up being what he's made it into at Denver with those guys. And I'm not kidding.

There's a culture here that's not exactly conducive to the way Peyton Manning operates. He's the type of guy who pushes all his chips into the center of the table, and he wants everyone else at the table to do the same thing.

He would have been utterly incompatible with Gary Kubiak. Gary would have had to go to counseling sessions because of Peyton. There would have been massive rioting in the locker room...I mean, there would be no lettermen jackets. No segways. No hipster Barwin peddling three-seaters through Houston's coffee shop district with his gang of fellow nerds. It would have been the most demanding environment they've ever seen. That would have been some damaging "energy" according to our team's resident Zen teacher.

Beyond the money issue, the guy was not a fit here. John Fox was like "Cool. Let's do this." LOL. John Fox don't care. He knows if a guy like Manning can butter his bread, then more power to the guy. He let Tebow do what Tebow does, and it got them into the second round of the playoffs last year.

If it makes anybody sleep better at night, though, I think Manning is a season or two away from being done. And the things we would have had to do to get him here, we'd be feeling the ramifications of that in 2013 and 2014, etc. So we might be seeing his final "good" year. Or not. Who knows.
Gary Kubiak worked with Steve Young and John Elway. I don't think Kubiak would have any problems meshing his coaching style with a Hall of Fame QB. He's done it in the past and if given the opportunity I'm fairly positive he could make it work here.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #155
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Maybe we could, uh, like spend a higher draft pick on one? Rather than waiting until round 6 or 7 or grabbing a UDFA.

That wouldn't happen, though, because THAT would be sending a message to Matt Schaub that Matt Schaub's job just might be endangered. It's convenient for Gary to draft a clipboard QB so that it doesn't threaten his defacto starter.
Didn't we have a former first rounder backing up Schaub? Actually two. Grossman & Leinart. Technically, these guys fit the "more athletic" than Schaub.

I would think that would send the same message as drafting a 2nd/3rd rounder.

How did they look in "the system"?
Old 01-06-2013   #156
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
If the Texans had room under the cap to sign Manning and not gut the team at the same time, then absolutely they should have gone after him.
I went back and forth on that idea back in the off-season and leading up to camp, as well. The "what if" game.

It seems like a better shot at getting to, and winning, a SB. And right now, it looks like we messed up.

But even back then, I had this feeling that (a) He would never pan out here for Kubiak with the way Gary does things, (b) what else would we have had to cut in order to fit him in under the cap here? and (c) what if he has a bad year and it was a bad move, a "reach", and then what if he had a great year here but then next year he gets carted off the field and is done forever.

Three major issues that just couldn't be overcome.
Old 01-06-2013   #157
Premier
All Pro

i quit, im not going to change any of your minds, and youre not going to change mine.. lets just end this back and forth..
Old 01-06-2013   #158
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
weve seen teams up against the cap every year manage to sign free agents. peyton got a deal that is essentially a one year deal, with guaranteed money up front.. and none of the money after year 1 being guaranteed... acrafty gm could hhave distributed the money differently and taken more of a risk. its clear manning neck/arm isnt an issue..
Honestly. If you had to chose between the Broncos, Elway, & Fox or Texans, Smith, & Kubiak, who would you chose? How much more would the Texans have to pay to get you?
Old 01-06-2013   #159
Matt Schaub
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Matt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respectedMatt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respectedMatt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respectedMatt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respectedMatt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respectedMatt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respectedMatt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respectedMatt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respectedMatt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respectedMatt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respectedMatt Schaub is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have a great chance of going far in the playoffs.

We just have to believe and have faith. We have the best coach in the league, and he has not once steered us wrong.
Matt Schaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #160
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I seriously don't know wtf most of this thread is even about. Thank god most of you aren't in control of this franchise. We are 24 and 11 over the past two years, including 2-1 in the playoffs, and we have thousands of posts that want to basically blow up the team (fire the coaching staff and draft a rookie QB to start right away).

We spent so much time in "rebuilding mode" it's like many of you can't enjoy anything else.

Schaub isn't a HoF QB but we've won 13 games this season and have a real chance at the Super Bowl. There are 24 teams who'd kill to be in our position

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read